Whats The Best Way To Sell Up, Ebay Or List It All?

• Replies 18
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

could list up on here and and sell individual - prob get more than selling as whole collection. any that dont sell could go to ebay :thumbup:

as Baz says though, its all to do with your expectations - do you want fast cash (lower price) or prepared to wait (possibly more) :yes:

Social source share

Any thoughts?

Jim

Hi

We all like a bargain but unless you need to sell quick just put up at reasonable prices, use soul source 1st i would say as no charges if you look at the bottom line after ebay / paypal charges you will be around 15% down Probably shooting myself in the foot but think what you put in to collecting - I'll get my tin hatlaugh.gif

Stin

Social source share

HI JIM,

AGREE WITH POST 7 & 8 yes.gif YOU'LL FIND IT EASIER TO SELL THAN REPLACE THEM IN THE FUTURE

QUESTION IS HOWEVER - WHY DO YOU WANT TO SELL UP ??

1. IS IT YOU NEED THE CASH (IF SO DO AS SUGGESTED ABOVE AND LIST AT REALISTIC PRICES HERE ON SS)

2. ARE YOU DISILLUSIONED WITH THE SCENE (THIS AFFECTS US ALL ALL AT TIMES) IF THIS IS THE CASE DEFINATELY HANG ON TO THE RECORDS

3. OTHER REASON.

Social source share

I sell loads of records for people on commission and it always starts that they're sad to see them go, as soon as they get the first thousand quid or whatever, they soon forget about the records and enjoy having the money! I was the same when I sold my British collection to enable me to set up as a business, it really hurt for a week or so, after that, I only thought about them as a commodity. I'm sitting on ten grands worth of UK records at the moment and honestly, I'd prefer the money to the records. I have a box of 200 records, assorted pressings, bootlegs, reissues, these are my 'own' records, all my old favourites, don't care what labels they're on - these are the ones I'd never sell.

Social source share

Once you've decided the reasons as to why you wanna sell and that you're definitely going to sell, then you have many options.

Rare (and i mean rare, very unseen, extremely hard to get items).....

Put them through the dealers on a commission basis: John Manship, Pat Brady or people like Pete etc.

Genuine blokes who have built up solid reps and can command bigger prices for your treasures.

I put one through JM's auction last year and got back double what i paid for it, even after John's cut (and i didn't exactly pay peanuts for the record either)!

Popular and mid-high end items that turn up often.....

Try the above route but you're not as likely to have them put through auction - im sure the guys will push your list through their mailing contacts though. Or give Ebay a whirl - get your page set up, professional looking, scans and clips etc. And put them on long auction.

.........OR.........For anything in your collection.........Put a massive list up on here, posting at either going rate or just under. No fees, and plenty of interested parties have a browse.

Best of luck

Azza

P.S - if you've got a copy of Rocky Gil, soul party in there giz a shout rolleyes.gif

Edited by LilJimmyCrank
Social source share

Guest SteveO

I sell loads of records for people on commission and it always starts that they're sad to see them go, as soon as they get the first thousand quid or whatever, they soon forget about the records and enjoy having the money! I was the same when I sold my British collection to enable me to set up as a business, it really hurt for a week or so, after that, I only thought about them as a commodity. I'm sitting on ten grands worth of UK records at the moment and honestly, I'd prefer the money to the records. I have a box of 200 records, assorted pressings, bootlegs, reissues, these are my 'own' records, all my old favourites, don't care what labels they're on - these are the ones I'd never sell.

Pete has hit the nail on the head here ....Trust me as I've just sold up.Records are a commodity.I enjoyed collecting when I did but in my case, life moves on and I've sold for a reason. I'm not about to reveal to whom they went nor the amount I got/percentage wise on a collection valued seriously into 6 figures as thats confidential, but I was happy with how much I got. Like I said, I didnt buy for personal gain and maybe if this opportunity hadnt arisen, who knows, but it did and they've gone...the whole lot! Now we come to the interesting bit. Some of them I hadnt played in years but seeing them spread over the tables/floor etc, I thought to myself I must be mad to sell, but sell they did.Do I miss them? Actually No! If I want to hear a sound, I can, through various digital means.No its not the same as seeing the 45 on my decks but I know I've done the right thing.So if anyone is contemplating selling, my advice is sell as a job lot.You WILL NOT for obvious reasons get "book price"...whatever that crap means???...so accept a percentage. Or you could give all your records to the dealer and he will sell so many per month at a higher price than percentage, but it could take years to sell them.

I had several long conversations with my buyer and not wanting to scaremonger, pricewise, northern peaked a couple of years ago.Prices wont drop overnight and the really rare stuff will always command a premium but those who like me list and price watch know its not what it used to be. Is it true some dealers aren't buying as they have enough stock?

Time will tell.Me, I'm northern to the core but selling up is no betrayal. So if you are thinking along those lines, do it for a genuine reason, not a whim!

Social source share

Steve,

Interesting thoughts.

I met a really cool guy last time i was in the States, he was selling his collection bit by bit...we asked him why he was selling and he just said "I dont need the records anymore...but i will always have the music inside of me, and thats what counts"....

Made me think...

Chris

Social source share

Steve,

Interesting thoughts.

I met a really cool guy last time i was in the States, he was selling his collection bit by bit...we asked him why he was selling and he just said "I dont need the records anymore...but i will always have the music inside of me, and thats what counts"....

Made me think...

Chris

Sounds like he was eating them, rather than selling them Chris:yes:

Social source share

Guest turntableterra

Mr Elliott, I KNOW you will regret it, some serious thinking is required....but if you do choose to do the deed I will helphatsoff2.gif

i totally agree................dont! i read of all the guys who did and they only ever regretted it. i never sold up, but i do remember selling a shed load to a guy at lowton, he reckoned he got a deal coz he got them for a third of "book price" but id had them 20 years so i was better off than the guys hanging around watching thought. it was or a good reason similar to some one earlier, house deposit. thing is i was so pissed off that i called him up on the monday for to get the peoples choice and the cody black back and he charged me full book price............days prior to ebay. i know everyones thoughts on the joey delorenzo, but he didnt take it coz he thought it didnt exist, glad he didnt coz i got some beauties for it in a swap with flynny, still cant believe i turned down the candi staton. on the larry clinton schister a few weeks ago, i spoke to the party concerned and the vickie baines WAS all tied up in the same scam. it never came. any how i digress.

D O N T S E L L !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

on selling i must pass on this funny story, about 8/10 years ago i was at the ritz same reason as above with a record box full. any how this guy comes up and starts to pull out vckie, dana, stanley mitchell, holly, jack montg, earl jackson, etc a lot of dosh " come on mate says i, your taking the piss" he replied "dont you know who i am young man, i m ian levine ".........."dont you know who i am" i replied "big baz from newcastle".........well everyone pissed themselves laffin. we did conclude a deal and he played jack and earl first off. that was the night of his return to djing and he played that rare cracker by adam wade, half the world on remember............... i digress again

d o n t s e l l..............

Edited by turntableterra
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert