Otis Clay - Only Way Is Up - Sold $255 Us

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

yes he certainly gets my vote. i was watching his stuff finishing and people were scrambling for stuff that i have all on getting a fiver for. he sold a james taylor on uk apple a few weeks ago for over £200. if i put mine up for sale it probably wont make £20.i need to know the secret coz mine are certainly in the right catagories

dave

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Seb, I don't begrudge you one cent of what you earn on eBay - you're a top man and you deserve to earn as much as you can and do...:rolleyes:

But I'd love to know what the secret of your success is, that's for sure!

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Thanks for the comments everyone! :rolleyes:

I was personally more surprised at the prices achieved for the Fabulous Downbeats and Jeff Perry 45s. And that picture sleeved norwegian Free 45 went through the roof as well.

I have no idea what happened with that James Taylor 45 that Dave mentioned above. It sold for over £250 and it was as far as I could tell a standard issue of "Carolina In My Mind". It is ofcourse one of the best tunes ever recorded, and M- UK issues aren't THAT easy to find, but the price achieved on that copy made my jaw drop to the floor. There were three people putting in similarly high bids though, so perhaps I was the one that was missing something (might have been a different version of the b-side or whatever?).

There's no secret, I put a lot of work into this. I have a big mailing list of past customers, solid feedback, clear pictures, long soundclips of both sides of the 45, I sometimes make MP3-mixes with the tunes that I have up for auction, spend a lot of extra money on fees for "featured auctions", UK+US visibility etc.

In my opinion you can't just put records on eBay and sit back and expect them to get bids. You have to promote your sales as well. That's what I would do if I opened up a store down the block, and selling things on the internet is not any different in that regard.

By the way, that turkish Linda Jones 45 that I posted about a couple of days ago is on eBay now:

https://cgi.ebay.com/...em=370377285281

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Seb, I don't begrudge you one cent of what you earn on eBay - you're a top man and you deserve to earn as much as you can and do...:rolleyes:

But I'd love to know what the secret of your success is, that's for sure!

I think it's because he puts the effort in, by way of regularly presenting his sales in a neat, pleasing, informative manner, with good quality scans and sound files. In the long run, that's what's paying off for him. He has built up a good reputation and a following who look forward to his latest offerings.

I take my hat off to him.

Tony, seeya Tuesday matey.

See my last email as to where and what time etc.

Denbo.

Social source share

Professional templated lay out, scans, info, sound clips............it all adds up. Likely to attract people who perhaps dont know overly much about the 'going rate'?

Keep doing what yer doing mate, and reep the rewards, it is an auction site afterall. in the words of our orange skinned soul friend David Dickinson 'anything can happen at an auction'!!

Azza

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert