London Soul Night?

Hi all,

I was wondering about putting on a do in Central London/west end...

1 night a month.. probably Mon - Tues or Wednesday..

But with so much on, wanted some thing a bit differnt..

heres what i'm thinking..

anyone can dj first come first served... name on alist.. next to the time you want when you get there...

dj's could be

collectors, djing what they want to hear tell there mates about...

dj's playing the stuff in their boxes they never play out (we all have em).

record dealers (anyone with a small sales boxthumbsup.gif ).. could do a spot from their sales box.. so all the set was for sale...

you know what its like go through a sales box and you don't know some bits...

basically hear it and buy it once its finished...

so it would just be a social evening... with some records for sale.. etc...

a meeting place once a month for a drink after work with music and hopefully records for sale...

No one pays to get in the bar...

no dj's get paid ...

5 till say 11 on a school night so to speak....

would you come along... do you think its worth trying?

Do you think the sales bit is a good idea?

let me know before I go ahead....thumbsup.gif

but couple of bits... can't be weekend.. as loads on and then would loose the idea of why i'm doing it...

also won't get a free venue of a weekend so wouuld have to charge...

what am i getting out of it... nothing just wanted to do a do that was differnt...

and hear stuff that is differnt...

but if a dj wants to do an oldies set... its their 45 minutes or whatever (time depends how many turn up)

right off to vote then home...:hatsoff2:

look forward to hearing views...

Social source share

• Replies 83
  • Views 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Possibly. If it was a Weds, in a convenient central location and the music policy was varied.

Sorry, I'm getting a bit fussy now. rolleyes.gif

Not at all......... need feedback to see if worth doing as I will be doing it for us.. no money involved any where... so will need support...

so what is best really.....thumbsup.gif

By not having set dj's music should be varied.. as no one is saying what it is as long as it Northern/Soul related so to speak...

no and i cant think of anyone that would buy your records Paul laugh.giflaugh.gif

Idiotrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Sounds good, a thursday night would be good in the west end.

The bar i'm looking at have a do on a Thursday... and because it will be after work need some where with built in decks... was thinking Wednesday... maybe 1st one of the month after payday... then if there are sales box'sthumbsup.gif

Thanks for the feedback...hatsoff2.gif

Social source share

wednesdays would rule out an awful lot of ppl from down our way paul..it sounds a good idea but why not run it along the same lines as BLUESKIES..most pubs would be up for anything that involves them taking extra cash over the bar...blueskies is still missed by a lot of ppl...have you got any venues in mind?

moldie

Social source share

Not a bad idea, but you may find that you're gonna get the same few appearing after work and after a while it might wear a bit thin.

A Sunday morning would be good. Catch the out of towners before they head back from a weekend in the smoke.

- Kev.

Social source share

wednesdays would rule out an awful lot of ppl from down our way paul..it sounds a good idea but why not run it along the same lines as BLUESKIES..most pubs would be up for anything that involves them taking extra cash over the bar...blueskies is still missed by a lot of ppl...have you got any venues in mind?

moldie

hello Mick... Blue skies was Friday night do.. and a good drink up that is well missed... and I couldn't fill their shoeshatsoff2.gif

but i'm planning on this being a more.. after work drink... in central London.... near the tube station (5 min walk) near a train station (15 min walk... coming south of the water) ... it's a relaxed bar... with a blinding built in sound system...

music wise.... any thing .... don't even have to be dancers... if someone wanted to play a couple of big beat ballards... they can...

I have a meeting next week... so if the feedback is good i'll run it for a 3 month trial if feedback not good... won't bother....thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Not a bad idea, but you may find that you're gonna get the same few appearing after work and after a while it might wear a bit thin.

A Sunday morning would be good. Catch the out of towners before they head back from a weekend in the smoke.

- Kev.

Alright Kev....

if its the same few not a prob... even if only 20 get in...

Hopefully they will sell there old tunes buy some new ones and get a beer and a chat

also get to hear what isn't being played else where after all...

thats seems to be a problem I read on here all the time... same dj's playing same stuff...

this is giving everyone a chance to play what they want...

Social source share

- Kev.

The vinylvulture boys used to do a similar night at the Salmon and Compass in Islington with oddball funk and bootsale finds.unfortunately they do gastro food there now. Great idea.Midweek would be best as a lot of people from Sat nights out are knackered on sundays.Pubs will do anything to get extra punters in beer drinking.The Smersh would be a choice as it has decks but theres loads similar.

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

hi paul

i know blueskies was a friday night ...imvho a fri night would work better than a midweek night...no one from down our way would be up for a weds or thurs night out so that would rule out a fair few ppl straight away

the idea is a very good one paul...keep us posted with any more info

regards moldie

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Even when London was buzzing around the time of the Millenium. Soul In The City and These old Shoes, still often struggled to get many in most months. There was a bigger pool of soul fans back then, and usually was was the usual faces with a few extra on big nights.

I wish you all the lucj, but Paul McKay, Dave Greenfield, Martin Thompson, Jo Wallace and Paul T-P all on here will probably back me up.

Social source share

The vinylvulture boys used to do a similar night at the Salmon and Compass in Islington with oddball funk and bootsale finds.unfortunately they do gastro food there now. Great idea.Midweek would be best as a lot of people from Sat nights out are knackered on sundays.Pubs will do anything to get extra punters in beer drinking.The Smersh would be a choice as it has decks but theres loads similar.

blimey, Salmon & Compass is going back a bit, the vinylvulture (site is now verygoodplus.co.uk) night was at Filthy McNasty's for a few years, is now at Smersh on Ravey St, (except it's now called Three Blind Mice), 2nd Wed of the month.

1st Wednesday of the month is DJ Wheeliebag's night at the Spread Eagle in Camden, which is a good after work night out

Social source share

Even when London was buzzing around the time of the Millenium. Soul In The City and These old Shoes, still often struggled to get many in most months. There was a bigger pool of soul fans back then, and usually was was the usual faces with a few extra on big nights.

I wish you all the lucj, but Paul McKay, Dave Greenfield, Martin Thompson, Jo Wallace and Paul T-P all on here will probably back me up.

Know where your coming from Mikey...wink.gif and thats why I asked for views

but with a 5 start... people could come from work.. 3 hours for a drink be on the train home by 8.30... indoors by 9.30... where as some do's in London.. its home change and back again... or drink afterwork and your half cut before the doors open...huh.gif

but take on board what your sayingthumbsup.gif

Social source share

Alright Kev....

if its the same few not a prob... even if only 20 get in...

Hopefully they will sell there old tunes buy some new ones and get a beer and a chat

also get to hear what isn't being played else where after all...

thats seems to be a problem I read on here all the time... same dj's playing same stuff...

this is giving everyone a chance to play what they want...

I do like the idea of it Paul. Trouble is for me that I'd be leaving about 1030 to ensure I get home. Would love to play some mid-tempo/beat ballads

- but I'm buggered if I'm selling any no.gif .

I'm not in town on Wednesdays either, but that's just me being selfish!

Good luck with it mate. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Know where your coming from Mikey...wink.gif and thats why I asked for views

but with a 5 start... people could come from work.. 3 hours for a drink be on the train home by 8.30... indoors by 9.30... where as some do's in London.. its home change and back again... or drink afterwork and your half cut before the doors open...huh.gif

but take on board what your sayingthumbsup.gif

Thats actually a really good point. A pre train ride home pint, is a very London thing.thumbsup.gif

Social source share

I do like the idea of it Paul. Trouble is for me that I'd be leaving about 1030 to ensure I get home. Would love to play some mid-tempo/beat ballads

- but I'm buggered if I'm selling any :no: .

Thats alright... still 5 hours of soulthumbsup.gif

what days you in town... as it is still early days....

and i'm trying to a do around the people who will attend..

that includes day and music played... which means don't want to clash and not of a weekend...

Social source share

Thought the idea was in a pub somewhere and listening/selling /trading vinyl....no pressure on numbers through the door.Best gig I did was 1500 through the door at The Rocket. Went downhill from there:rolleyes:

Social source share

It would work for the handful of "suits" etc. who work in central London, but really are people going to come up to town after work for a do with an 8 30 finish?

No not 8.30 finish... that was for Kev he needed to get a train home... :wink:

i'm trying to put positive side accross....:yes:

I already said 11 at the begining.. maybe later as I said still early days... but for suits then the early start would be good...thumbsup.gif

Social source share

- but I'm buggered if I'm selling any :no: .

I want to fill my box up with midtempo/beat ballads to get rid of em!!!

Social source share

Thought the idea was in a pub somewhere and listening/selling /trading vinyl....no pressure on numbers through the door.Best gig I did was 1500 through the door at The Rocket. Went downhill from there:rolleyes:

i went to 4 events at the rocket and never ever saw that many there...the numbers were down by virtually half after the first one

moldie

Social source share

No not 8.30 finish... that was for Kev he needed to get a train home... wink.gif

i'm trying to put positive side accross....yes.gif

I already said 11 at the begining.. maybe later as I said still early days... but for suits then the early start would be good...thumbsup.gif

OK fair enough, misread the post Mischief.

If you did it think it would have to be within the south eastern sector of the Circle Line so to speak and probably near Charing X - Liverpool St so all the Kent / Surrey / Sussex / Essex crowd could stay late :rolleyes:

Social source share

If you did it think it would have to be within the south eastern sector of the Circle Line so to speak and probably near Charing X - Liverpool St so all the Kent / Surrey / Sussex / Essex crowd could stay late yes.gif

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Social source share

If you did it think it would have to be within the south eastern sector of the Circle Line so to speak and probably near Charing X - Liverpool St so all the Kent / Surrey / Sussex / Essex crowd could stay late :rolleyes:

i take it the hampshire crowd aint good enough then steve? lolololol

Social source share

Over 1500 at the first one then dropped soon after.About 600 at the second then fizzled out.

i was at the first one......didnt really count everyone lolol but totally agree about numbers at 2nd event..at one the place looked like it hadnt been cleaned from the night before and far two many lashed up students for my liking...anyway lets not hog misfits thread

Social source share

Victoria would be better for me or london Bridge and thursday would suit me fine thumbsup.gif our kev used to do one in brixton on Thursdays it was super dooper yes.gif

is that the one where somebody was murdered outside? :rolleyes:

high price to pay for complaing about the music policy

moldie

Social source share

is that the one where somebody was murdered outside? laugh.gif

high price to pay for complaing about the music policy

moldie

Actually moldie it wasn`t a murder it was a stabbing and god did we have to clean up pretty damb sharpish yes.gif but the show still went on thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

laugh.gif

Over 1500 at the first one then dropped soon after.About 600 at the second then fizzled out.

I went to every one mate.

it helped that Janine would park outside my flat and encourage me with a botle of Champagne.

Social source share

Thats alright... still 5 hours of soulthumbsup.gif

what days you in town... as it is still early days....

and i'm trying to a do around the people who will attend..

that includes day and music played... which means don't want to clash and not of a weekend...

Social source share

Actually moldie it wasn`t a murder it was a stabbing and god did we have to clean up pretty damb sharpish

oh thats ok then..whats a stabbing amonst friends

Social source share

laugh.gif

I went to every one mate.

it helped that Janine would park outside my flat and encourage me with a botle of Champagne.

Right then we know that to get Mikey there the pub must serve champers....Rocket was more of a rollercoaster and rocky at that but good fun.yes.gif Think Janine went to Australia.That period around 2000-2003 was full on, Stoke,Bisley,Old Shoes,Dome,Brighton,Scenesville,Blackpool plus loads of others.Punters seem to have shrunk in London but theres more gigs on!!.

Social source share

Hi all,

I was wondering about putting on a do in Central London/west end...

1 night a month.. probably Mon - Tues or Wednesday..

But with so much on, wanted some thing a bit differnt..

heres what i'm thinking..

anyone can dj first come first served... name on alist.. next to the time you want when you get there...

dj's could be

collectors, djing what they want to hear tell there mates about...

dj's playing the stuff in their boxes they never play out (we all have em).

record dealers (anyone with a small sales boxthumbsup.gif ).. could do a spot from their sales box.. so all the set was for sale...

you know what its like go through a sales box and you don't know some bits...

basically hear it and buy it once its finished...

so it would just be a social evening... with some records for sale.. etc...

a meeting place once a month for a drink after work with music and hopefully records for sale...

No one pays to get in the bar...

no dj's get paid ...

5 till say 11 on a school night so to speak....

would you come along... do you think its worth trying?

Do you think the sales bit is a good idea?

let me know before I go ahead....thumbsup.gif

but couple of bits... can't be weekend.. as loads on and then would loose the idea of why i'm doing it...

also won't get a free venue of a weekend so wouuld have to charge...

what am i getting out of it... nothing just wanted to do a do that was differnt...

and hear stuff that is differnt...

but if a dj wants to do an oldies set... its their 45 minutes or whatever (time depends how many turn up)

right off to vote then home...hatsoff2.gif

look forward to hearing views...

So, have you decided that you're going to do it . . . . . and where?

I'm here Monday to Thursday nights inclusive every week, traveling down from St.Helens to work, and would love to see something like this kick-off.

Please let me know when and where it's going to be once you've decided.

Denbo.

Social source share

wink.gif Don't pay any regard to when I can attend mate. Hardly been at work since January, but when I am it's just not wednesdays. Hopefully

they'll stump up with a retirement package soon and I can sod off to Spain - so definately don't rely on me!

But in the meantime, I'll support you when I can. So give us a clue - don't need the exact venue (I have one in mind myself) as you obviously have

something sorted , but an approximate area might generate more of a response - be it positive or otherwise.

Social source share

So, have you decided that you're going to do it . . . . . and where?

I'm here Monday to Thursday nights inclusive every week, traveling down from St.Helens to work, and would love to see something like this kick-off.

Please let me know when and where it's going to be once you've decided.

Denbo.

thumbsup.gif

Social source share

I'd welcome something on the lines you're suggesting. And if the music didn't all have to be 100 mph dance floor tunes would be great. I go from south west London to north London on my way home so would be up for it, as long as it didn't clash with Majestic Soul at the 3 Blind Mice (Smersh).

Social source share

I'd welcome something on the lines you're suggesting. And if the music didn't all have to be 100 mph dance floor tunes would be great. I go from south west London to north London on my way home so would be up for it, as long as it didn't clash with Majestic Soul at the 3 Blind Mice (Smersh).

what days majestic on?

Social source share

Dave who ?

Martin Jo & Paul had a very succesful few years with TOS when a lot of people including myself were returning to the scene, small club great atmosphere getting so pissed you could hardly stand but still managed to dance great happy days beer.gif

When we started Soul in the City as a one off Xmas do intitially I think we had about 50 in for the 1st 2 or 3. After moving to Old Blue Last numbers were up & down, sometimes appalling sometimes good usually somewhere in between, a couple of well attended all dayers on Bank Holidays plus a very good one at St Alyosis (ok wrong spelling) but towards the end numbers were very low & for our last night when if memory serves me well Arthur Fenn & Maria spun some tunes Nige Brown was down & apart from the 4 of us who ran sitc very few others. Probably Stubbsy Geoff Green Audra Thomson, think there were 8 who weren't DJing.blush.gif

We moved to Nylon (Famous for the tv show with the likes of sam fox running a bar in a competition) & things just took off. Helped along by some piss taking suits we were getting 100/150 for a wednesday night & were the highlight of some more depressing nights but at the same time meeting what have become good friends. Out of the blue Nylon just dumped us & went bust soon after i believe, though i doubt the 2 were connected. Next stop was Vivos where healthy numbers continued for a while but gradually started going downhill. We did start having guests which made absolutely no difference so soon knocked that on the head & numbers were depressingly low on some nights plus we were fighting against the tide of suits down for a late night drink demanding to hear "something that they know" like britney, abba etc & not believing that we couldn't produce these artists records out of our 100/150 count boxeslaugh.gif

One quite irate chap got laid out for his troubles boxing.gif not by one of the DJs of course but he's still about .....or so I'm told.wave.gif

One night the old bill turned up flashed their warrant cards barked police & strode into the club, bloody hell it's a raid i thought but it turned out they were friends of the owner & too tight to pay 3 quid entrance fee for a late drink.

Another night I was DJing & talking to Mac who made up the 4 of us who ran it & this pretty stunning young lady came & asked for something that i definately didn't have & I was trying to be the nice bloke chit chat chit chat (didn't work) when all of a sudden this horrific smell just about overpowered me. As she walked away I slated mac for farting right next to me while I was trying to chat up girlie, I thought it was you he said, it had been this dirty little bitch swoon.gif could have been marking her territory I suppose laugh.gif Anyway sorry drifted off subject slightly.

Vivos closed for refurbishment so again we moved on, this time to the ditch bar in Shoreditch, by now numbers were pretty low although again attracting a few new people while close friends still attended & so even tho numbers were low, the music was good, & a lot of fun was had. Eventually it all came to a halt, no one was really interested in attending (outside our little group)& to be honest I don't see that anything has changed in the years since.

Oh & yes we started more or less straight after work, 6.30 I think it was

Sorry it's been more of a memory trip than anything constructiverolleyes.gif You'll only find out by giving it a go but money is tight & I for one rarely go out for a beer midweek anymore.

Dave err GreenHILL Mikey pay attention

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert