Music For Pleasure - Sounds Superb Lps

I'm trying to collect the complete set of Motown "Sounds Superb" LPs on the budget Music For Pleasure label, all of which were released in the early to mid-70s. I could have bought any of these for 99p each whilst still at secondary school, but my musical tastes weren't quite as sophisticated then ( I was buying MFP LPs at the time, but they mostly turned out to be in the "Hot Hits" series, lol)!!

The best thing about the LPs was the amount of alternate unissued takes of tracks, and "LP only" tracks which featured on them, which makes their collectability even more desireable.

Does anyone know what LP releases 90001 - 90003 were? And were there any Motown related releases after 90011?

Gene

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

• Replies 57
  • Views 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I'm trying to collect the complete set of Motown "Sounds Superb" LPs on the budget Music For Pleasure label, all of which were released in the early to mid-70s.  I could have bought any of these for 99p each whilst still at secondary school, but my musical tastes weren't quite as sophisticated then ( I was buying MFP LPs at the time, but they mostly turned out to be in the "Hot Hits" series, lol)!!

The best thing about the LPs was the amount of alternate unissued takes of tracks, and "LP only" tracks which featured on them, which makes their collectability even more desireable.

Does anyone know what LP releases 90001 - 90003 were?  And were there any Motown related releases after 90011?

Gene

link

90001 Diana Ross and the Supremes Baby Love

90002 Four Tops I Cant Help Myself

I've got a Jimmy Ruffin / Originals / Isley's in the garage - I'll dig the numbers out later (Ruffin's is definitely after 90011)

Social source share

90001 Diana Ross and the Supremes Baby Love

90002 Four Tops I Cant Help Myself

I've got a Jimmy Ruffin / Originals / Isley's in the garage - I'll dig the numbers out later (Ruffin's is definitely after 90011)

link

Ruffin's is 90041 - I've passed this way before.

Ignore me on the rest, I was talking crap - the Originals I was thinking of is on soul and the Isley's thing is not on sounds superb - just Mfp 50041. :yes:

Social source share

There's a good Contours one - this is where they discovered Baby Hit And Run.

What else, Stevie Wonder - Uptight, the fantastic Four Tops - I Can't Help Myself lp (not a duff track on there), a good Mary Wells one (My Guy), a Martha & The Vandellas one with One Way Out which everyone snapped up when it went big in 77...a Jimmy Ruffin one with Lonely Lonely Man AM I...shall we try and do a discography?

Social source share

Great albums, I bet I wasn't the only person on here to rush out and get the R D Taylor one when "Ghost" was massive. I particularly liked the Stevie Wonder one, If I remember correctly it was a combination of the Uptight and Down to earth albums. All brilliant tracks

Paul

Social source share

There's a good Contours one - this is where they discovered Baby Hit And Run.

What else, Stevie Wonder - Uptight, the fantastic Four Tops - I Can't Help Myself lp (not a duff track on there), a good Mary Wells one (My Guy), a Martha & The Vandellas one with One Way Out which everyone snapped up when it went big in 77...a Jimmy Ruffin one with Lonely Lonely Man AM I...shall we try and do a discography?

link

Good idea Pete - I'll get the ball rolling later tonight when I get home from work!

Social source share

...shall we try and do a discography?

link

:yes: oh you meant a list of albums not tracks, how foolish do I feel! :fool:

I've got a copy of "The Fabulous Gladys Knight & The Pips" on MFP 50304.  On the cover it says, Music For Pleasure Sounds Superb, is this the same series?

link

Side One

1. Take Me In Your Arms And Love Me

2. Do You Love Me Just A Little Honey

3. That's The Way Love Is

4. Don't Let Her Take Your Love From Me

5. Don't Turn Me Away

6. Your Old Stand-by

Side Two

1. Just Walk In My Shoes

2. He's My Kind Of Fellow

3. My Bed Of Thorns

4. It's Summer

5. The Stranger

6. I Want Him To Say It Again

Edited by Supercorsa
Social source share

Here goes, with what I already have in my collection:

SPR 90003: STEVIE WONDER: Uptight (Everything's Alright)

Uptight/Ain't That Asking For Trouble/Love A Go Go/Hold Me/Pretty Little Angel/Music Talk/I Want My Baby Back/Thank You Love/Be Cool, Be Calm (and Keep Yourself Together)/Angel Baby (Don't You Ever Leave Me)/Hey Love/More Than A Dream

SPR 90004: THE TEMPTATIONS: Get Ready

Get Ready/Say You/Everybody Needs Love/You've Got To Earn It/Born To Love You/You're The One I Need/Too Busy Thinking About My Baby/Fading Away/It's A Lonely World Without Your Love/I Gotta Know Now/Just Another Lonely Night/You'll Lose A Precious Love

SPR 90005: MARTHA & THE VANDELLAS: Dancing In The Street

Dancing In The Street/Dancing Slow/Nobody'll Care/There He Is (At My Door)/Mickey's Monkey/Hitch Hike/One Way Out/Motoring/Happiness Is Guaranteed/No More Tearstained Make-up/What Am I Going TO Do Without Your Love/Tell Me I'll Never Be Alone

SPR 90006: MARVIN GAYE: How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)

How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)/Seek & You Shall Find/Memories/You're What's Happening (In The World Today)/Hey Diddle Diddle/You're The One For Me/Tear It On Down/At Last (I Found A Love)/Loving You Is Sweeter Than Ever/Change What You Can/It's Love I Need/Every Now & Then

SPR 90007: R. DEAN TAYLOR: Indiana Wants Me

Gotta See Jane/Don't Fool Around/There's A Ghost In My House/Ain't It A Sad Thing/Back Street/Gonna Give Her All The Love I've Got/Indiana Wants Me/Woman Alive/Candy Apple Red/Love's Your Name/Shadow/Taos New Mexico

SPR 90008: MARY WELLS: Greatest Hits

My Guy/When I'm Gone/Guarantee (For A Lifetime)/Honey Boy/One Block From Heaven/You Lost The Sweetest Boy/What's Easy For Two Is So Hard For One/The One Who Really Loves You/You Beat Me To The Punch/Two Lovers/Laughing Boy/Your Old Standby

SPR 90009: SMOKEY ROBINSON & THE MIRACLES: "The Fantastic Smokey Robinson & the Miracles".

I Heard It Through The Grapevine/Save Me/Soulful Shack/You Only Build Me Up To Tear Me Down/More, More, More Of Your Love/It's A Good Feeling/Swept For You Baby/Much Better Off/After You Put Back The Pieces (I'll Still Have A Broken Heart)/Beauty Is Only Skin Deep/You Must Be Love/Just Losing You

The Mary Wells LP is particularly outstanding, mainly for her versions of "When I'm Gone", which has exactly the same backing track as Brenda Holloway's version, and "Honey Boy", later to become Nella Dodds' rarest 45 on Wand.

Am I right in saying these two tracks, probably along with a host of others on the other LPs, are unissued, or were they previously LP tracks? The best Mary Wells tracks on the LP date from 1966, a couple of years after she left the label to go to 20th Century.

Or is this a straight reissue of the Greatest Hits LP from 1966 (Tamla Motown) and/or the "My Guy" LP from 1971 (Regal Starline)? Anyone help????

Gene

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Strange coincidence but just posted on another thread about Albums and mentioned the "Stranger " track (same LP as Supercosa mentions), i was told about 20 years ago this was the only version (The fellas on the other thread, told me it was on a G Knight LP)...thing is after reading this topic....is the "Stranger" on MFP an alternate take ? (I have the MFP lp and this is the only version i've heard)

Social source share

I'm trying to collect the complete set of Motown "Sounds Superb" LPs on the budget Music For Pleasure label, all of which were released in the early to mid-70s.  I could have bought any of these for 99p each whilst still at secondary school, but my musical tastes weren't quite as sophisticated then ( I was buying MFP LPs at the time, but they mostly turned out to be in the "Hot Hits" series, lol)!!

Does anyone know what LP releases 90001 - 90003 were?  And were there any Motown related releases after 90011?

Gene

link

Hello Gene , you def . need the Jimmy Ruffin " I've passed this way before " [sPR 90041 ], loads of unissued and unusual tracks like " Kickin' stones " which are ace , plus Tamla Motown presents The Isley Brothers [ MFP 50014 ] which contains the superb "My love is your love forever " plus 11 more great sides . I collect these albums as well , car boots are great for getting them cheap ,Best Wishes ,Eddie .

Social source share

What about the Ojays,one of the best,and him that sings working down a coal mine?,theres a belter on that one for sure :P

link

Hoops silly me yes.gif Motown sorry!

Social source share

Guest Bearsoul

What about the Ojays,one of the best,and him that sings working down a coal mine?,theres a belter on that one for sure yes.gif

link

LEE DORSEY I'M TO CHECK MINE, MFPs THAT IS OOO ER MISSUS!!

Social source share

LEE DORSEY      I'M TO CHECK MINE, MFPs THAT IS  OOO ER MISSUS!!

link

Yes it got a track on it that was big in the day!!,but by somebody els,but exactly the same,dont leave me baby i think...

Social source share

Guest taffy

Here goes, with what I already have in my collection:

SPR 90003: STEVIE WONDER: Uptight (Everything's Alright)

Uptight/Ain't That Asking For Trouble/Love A Go Go/Hold Me/Pretty Little Angel/Music Talk/I Want My Baby Back/Thank You Love/Be Cool, Be Calm (and Keep Yourself Together)/Angel Baby (Don't You Ever Leave Me)/Hey Love/More Than A Dream

SPR 90004: THE TEMPTATIONS: Get Ready

Get Ready/Say You/Everybody Needs Love/You've Got To Earn It/Born To Love You/You're The One I Need/Too Busy Thinking About My Baby/Fading Away/It's A Lonely World Without Your Love/I Gotta Know Now/Just Another Lonely Night/You'll Lose A Precious Love

SPR 90005: MARTHA & THE VANDELLAS: Dancing In The Street

Dancing In The Street/Dancing Slow/Nobody'll Care/There He Is (At My Door)/Mickey's Monkey/Hitch Hike/One Way Out/Motoring/Happiness Is Guaranteed/No More Tearstained Make-up/What Am I Going TO Do Without Your Love/Tell Me I'll Never Be Alone

SPR 90006: MARVIN GAYE: How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)

How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)/Seek & You Shall Find/Memories/You're What's Happening (In The World Today)/Hey Diddle Diddle/You're The One For Me/Tear It On Down/At Last (I Found A Love)/Loving You Is Sweeter Than Ever/Change What You Can/It's Love I Need/Every Now & Then

SPR 90007: R. DEAN TAYLOR: Indiana Wants Me

Gotta See Jane/Don't Fool Around/There's A Ghost In My House/Ain't It A Sad Thing/Back Street/Gonna Give Her All The Love I've Got/Indiana Wants Me/Woman Alive/Candy Apple Red/Love's Your Name/Shadow/Taos New Mexico

SPR 90008: MARY WELLS: Greatest Hits

My Guy/When I'm Gone/Guarantee (For A Lifetime)/Honey Boy/One Block From Heaven/You Lost The Sweetest Boy/What's Easy For Two Is So Hard For One/The One Who Really Loves You/You Beat Me To The Punch/Two Lovers/Laughing Boy/Your Old Standby

SPR 90009: SMOKEY ROBINSON & THE MIRACLES: "The Fantastic Smokey Robinson & the Miracles".

I Heard It Through The Grapevine/Save Me/Soulful Shack/You Only Build Me Up To Tear Me Down/More, More, More Of Your Love/It's A Good Feeling/Swept For You Baby/Much Better Off/After You Put Back The Pieces (I'll Still Have A Broken Heart)/Beauty Is Only Skin Deep/You Must Be Love/Just Losing You

The Mary Wells LP is particularly outstanding, mainly for her versions of "When I'm Gone", which has exactly the same backing track as Brenda Holloway's version, and "Honey Boy", later to become Nella Dodds' rarest 45 on Wand.

Am I right in saying these two tracks, probably along with a host of others on the other LPs, are unissued, or were they previously LP tracks?  The best Mary Wells tracks on the LP date from 1966, a couple of years after she left the label to go to 20th Century. 

Or is this a straight reissue of the Greatest Hits LP from 1966 (Tamla Motown) and/or the "My Guy" LP from 1971 (Regal Starline)?  Anyone help????

Gene

link

HERES A FEW MORE-

SMOKEY&MIRACLES-TEARS OF A CLOWN MFP50422

FOUR TOPS-I CAN'T HELP MYSELF SPR900002

FOUR TOPS-KEEPER OF THE CASTLE MFP50253

THE FABULOUS GLADYS KNIGHT-MFP50304

DIANA ROSS & SUPREMES-BABY LOVE SPR90001

SUPREMES -STONED LOVE MFP50421

GLADYS KNIGHT & THE PIPS-URGENT MFP1187

KIKI DEE -SAME SPR90030

IT'S CHRISTMAS IN MOTOWN-SPR90010

yes.gif

Social source share

HERES A FEW MORE-

SMOKEY&MIRACLES-TEARS OF A CLOWN MFP50422

FOUR TOPS-I CAN'T HELP MYSELF SPR900002

FOUR TOPS-KEEPER OF THE CASTLE MFP50253

THE FABULOUS GLADYS KNIGHT-MFP50304

DIANA ROSS & SUPREMES-BABY LOVE SPR90001

SUPREMES -STONED LOVE MFP50421

GLADYS KNIGHT & THE PIPS-URGENT MFP1187

KIKI DEE -SAME SPR90030

IT'S CHRISTMAS IN MOTOWN-SPR90010

yes.gif

link

Dont think Gladys;Urgent counts cause not Motown,Fury and other various labels

Social source share

Guest Bearsoul

Dont think Gladys;Urgent counts cause not Motown,Fury and other various labels

link

KENNETH..HOW TRAINSPOTERISH IS THIS ONE....

I'VE TWO COPIES OF FOUR TOPS SPR90002 STEREO

ONE IS 'I JUST CAN'T HELP MYSELF'

OTHER READS 'I CAN'T HELP MYSELF

OH WISE ONE WHY? '

Social source share

My first post so be kind to me, especially as it is a little off topic. It's not Motown but it is a mighty fine MFP album.

The album is by "The Power and The Glory" is called "The Power and the Glory Sing Twelve Rock and Gospel songs."

Picked it up for a quid in a junk shop. Actually got two copies now cos I gonna give a copy to my mate.

It is MFP 50051

It has got an absolutely rocking psychedelic soul version of "Jesus Christ Superstar" inn a sort of Temptations circa 1972 style which has got to be worth a quid of anyone's money. The rest of the album has got one or two nicew gospel tracks on that evoke those early roots of soul.

Social source share

Guest Bearsoul

My first post so be kind to me, especially as it is a little off topic. It's not Motown but it is a mighty fine MFP album.

The album is by "The Power and The Glory"  is called "The Power and the Glory Sing Twelve Rock and Gospel songs."

Picked it up for a quid in a junk shop. Actually got two copies now cos I gonna give a copy to my mate.

It is MFP 50051

It has got an absolutely rocking psychedelic soul version of "Jesus Christ Superstar" inn a sort of Temptations circa 1972 style which has got to be worth a quid of anyone's money. The rest of the album has got one or two nicew gospel tracks on that evoke those early roots of soul.

link

I PLAY A FEW GOSPEL TRACKS AND NO-ONES NOTICED YET,OR HAVE THEY?

GAIL EASON. MIGHTY CLOUDS OF JOY,SISTERS OF RIGHTEOUS ETC . THERE'S SOME CRACKING DANCERS ON GOSPEL ALBUMS yes.gif

Social source share

KENNETH..HOW TRAINSPOTERISH IS THIS ONE....

I'VE TWO COPIES OF FOUR TOPS SPR90002 STEREO

ONE IS  'I JUST CAN'T HELP MYSELF'

OTHER READS  'I CAN'T HELP MYSELF

OH WISE ONE WHY? '

link

Dunno got me there!! yes.gif ,first one looks like printing error better check my dozen copys i wonder which is rarer,hey what about that a rare MFP record who knows?

Social source share

i bought motown magic mfp50395 yesterday at a boot sale 99p tracks

1 supremes itching

2 mary wells my guy

3 temps get ready

4 m gaye loving you is sweeter than ever

5 marvin tammi onion song

6 gladys and pips the stranger

side 2

1 gladys and pips walk in my shoes

2 marvin how sweet it is

3 4 tops cant help myself

4 smokey and miracles grapevine

5 jnr walker shotgun

6 martha and vandellas dancin in the streets

seems to be a mixture of most of the albums

Social source share

I PLAY A FEW GOSPEL TRACKS AND NO-ONES NOTICED YET,OR HAVE THEY?

GAIL EASON. MIGHTY CLOUDS OF JOY,SISTERS OF RIGHTEOUS  ETC . THERE'S SOME CRACKING DANCERS ON GOSPEL ALBUMS yes.gif

link

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who drops a few gospel tracks. Mighty Clouds of Joy - got a couple of albums by them but never heard of any of the others - will look out for them.

My fave gospel track to drop and works a treat is another on MFP - Testify your Soul by The Gospel Ayres.

Social source share

Guest Bearsoul

Dunno got me there!! :ohmy: ,first one looks like printing error better check my dozen copys i wonder which is rarer,hey what about that a rare MFP record who knows?

link

PERHAPS I SHOULD ASK MR MANSHIP TO AUCTION IT FOR ME whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest Bearsoul

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who drops a few gospel tracks. Mighty Clouds of Joy - got a couple of albums by them but never heard of any of the others - will look out for them.

My fave gospel track to drop and works a treat is another on MFP - Testify your Soul by The Gospel Ayres.

link

LOTS OF GOODIES ON KING

Social source share

Need to check but i think i have a second Supremes album on MFP. "Stop in the name of love"(or something like that) and a Temptations christmas album. I'm also fairly sure i have an Isley Brothers album on one of these cheap labels.

Gary

Also seeing a J5 album rings a bell?

Social source share

Four Tops doesn't count either...Probe

link

Pete Ive just noticed you are using one of my favourite artists as your avatar. Someone once tried to sell this on ebay as northern soul.

Brilliant artist who never really got ultimate fame and riches but probably deserved it.

Lyrics from I saw the light- Now I love you best, its not something that I say in Jest ! Ha HA! whistling.gif

Social source share

Hi Gene,

I have the complete set of the Sounds Superb, Music For Pleasure and Regal Starline and Marks and Spencers Motown related LPs. Give me a day or so and I will give you the complete list. One of the best is Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell, The Onion Song. I am sure I have about 5 or 6 doubles. Can you e-mail me your e-mail address.

Kev

Social source share

Hi Gene,

I have the complete set of the Sounds Superb, Music For Pleasure and Regal Starline and Marks and Spencers Motown related LPs. Give me a day or so and I will give you the complete list. One of the best is Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell, The Onion Song. I am sure I have about 5 or 6 doubles. Can you e-mail me your e-mail address.

Kev

link

hello kev,

i also have a few of these albums,brilliant tracks on some lps

if any interest ive a few for sale, con-shit to mint,

GLADYS KNIGHT-THE LOOK OF LOVE-MFP 50417

MARVI GAYE-HOW SWEET IT IS-MFP50423

TEMPTATIONS-LIVE AT LONDON'S TALK OF THE TOWN-MFP50419

SUPREMES-STOP IN THE NAME OF LOVE-MFP50291

GLADYS KNIGHT-THE FABULOUS-MFP50304 (STRANGER) 2 COPIES

STEVIE WONDER-LIGHT MY FIRE-MFP50420

SUSREMES-BABY LOVE-SPR90001

TEMPTATIONS-GET READY-SPR90004

MARTHA REEVES-DANCING IN THE STREET-SPR90005

STEVIE WONDER-UPTIGHT-SPR90008- 2 COPIES

SMOKEY ROBINSON-I HEARD IT THROUGH THE GRAPVINE-SPR90009 2 COPIES

MARY WELLS-GREATEST HITS-90008

JIMMY RUFFIN-IV'E PASSED THIS WAY BEFORE-SPR90041

THE DRIFTERS-SAVE THE LAST DANCE FOR ME-SPR90083

MARVIN GAYE-THE MAGIC OF-TMS3508 PICKWICK

MY EX-WIFE MUST HAVE TAKEN MY CONTOURS LP TWAT!

EMAIL ME IF INTERESTED,I'LL HAVE TO CHECK OUT THE GRADING/££££

THANKS

KEL THOMAS

Social source share

hello kev,

i also have a few of these albums,brilliant tracks on some lps

if any interest ive a few for sale, con-shit to mint,

GLADYS KNIGHT-THE LOOK OF LOVE-MFP 50417

MARVI GAYE-HOW SWEET IT IS-MFP50423

TEMPTATIONS-LIVE AT LONDON'S TALK OF THE TOWN-MFP50419

SUPREMES-STOP IN THE NAME OF LOVE-MFP50291

GLADYS KNIGHT-THE FABULOUS-MFP50304 (STRANGER) 2 COPIES

STEVIE WONDER-LIGHT MY FIRE-MFP50420

SUSREMES-BABY LOVE-SPR90001

TEMPTATIONS-GET READY-SPR90004

MARTHA REEVES-DANCING IN THE STREET-SPR90005

STEVIE WONDER-UPTIGHT-SPR90008- 2 COPIES

SMOKEY ROBINSON-I HEARD IT THROUGH THE GRAPVINE-SPR90009 2 COPIES

MARY WELLS-GREATEST HITS-90008

JIMMY RUFFIN-IV'E PASSED THIS WAY BEFORE-SPR90041

THE DRIFTERS-SAVE THE LAST DANCE FOR ME-SPR90083

MARVIN GAYE-THE MAGIC OF-TMS3508 PICKWICK

MY EX-WIFE MUST HAVE TAKEN MY CONTOURS LP  TWAT!

EMAIL ME IF INTERESTED,I'LL HAVE TO CHECK OUT THE GRADING/££££

THANKS

KEL THOMAS

link

Should get a tenner for the lot :shades:

Social source share

Hi Gene,

Kev

link

Just sent you a PM Kev - look forward to hearing from you!

Gene

Social source share

Pete Ive just noticed you are using one of my favourite artists as your avatar. Someone once tried to sell this on ebay as northern soul.

Brilliant artist who never really got ultimate fame and riches but probably deserved it.

Lyrics from I saw the light- Now I love you best, its not something that I say in Jest ! Ha HA! :thumbsup:

link

Not exactly a fan of Todd Rundgren mate but that track is my all time favourite record of any genre...had it since I was 13 back in 73 and never ever get tired of hearing it. Couldn't live without that track.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert