The State Of The Soul Scene Poll

1. 1. Frank Wilson

• Its a classic example of quality northern soul. A timeless master piece
    • Its all hype & little substance. Wasn't very good in the first place, then it got overplayed.
    • I prefer to sit on the fence, my opinions don't count

This may offend some folk.................................so im sorry in advance........................but i find it quite funny when serious politics come into it :lol:

I see the poll with alot of votes for a problem on the scene :yes:

At the end of the day...........................we are only on this earth for a short time & we have found a type of music that we all love.............................................so let's just enjoy it while we can :thumbsup:

The only time this scene becomes not very enjoyable :D is when folk keep complaining about what's getting played, what's being worn, & who's doing what :(

Does it really matter???..................................Cause it won't change anything :lol:

Debbie x

Edited by parkash
Social source share

• Replies 66
  • Views 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest nhsoulie

I think a lot of you are missing the point? I'm no expert at reading this kind of data but it looks so far that the swing from Labour to the Lib Dems in the North-East is 13%, in Yorkshire 11.5% and the North West 9.5. Compare this to the swing in the South East (5%) and London (7%). In Scotland there is very little sign of a Lib Dem advance, with the party on 25% compared to 23% at the last election unsure.gif

haha that was chinese to me ya mad simon.

only problem ive got is maximes closing wounded man am i

Social source share

Without the scene though Mark, good or bad, the record room is where the music would stay, gathering dust. If it's not out being played, shared, enjoyed and danced to then what is it for? That's why it was recorded in the first place, surely?

I'll never understand people who prefer to sit at home alone and share their music with the cat.

Edited by simon t
Social source share

Hmm if you think there isn't a problem with the scene the poll still forces you to choose a problem option, you need a neutral option with the too few and too many venues option. A bi-weekly option would be good as well. thumbsup.gif

Need more problem options, 'too many oldies nights' or 'stuff i don't know from when i were a kid gets played and i get scared and can't dance' etc... laugh.gif

I think a lot of people who only like traditional sounds are probably voting for 'I only go to venues with a music policy i like'.

I agree, my problem would be- too few younger people on the scene!

Social source share

Got more soul do,s behind me than I have in front of me so I aint moaning just going to enjoy what Ive got .

Who would have believed thirty odd years ago that the scene would still be around ? .

It doesnt need analysing just enjoying yes.gif

Social source share

yr right there mate, thats why me daughters coming me next niter,.........not just to drive.......honestrolleyes.gif

Seems to be a fair bit of it being passed down through families, no bad thing, in the past its been older brothers doing the conversions now its ma's and da's.

Social source share

good idea...like it and done it, BUT, you ask if we think there is a prob with the scene and the very next Q you have second guessed that we all think the prob is either too many or too few venues, that imho is not the prob with the scene, you can never have enough choice, although there are far far too many soul nights and not enough nighters.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Got more soul do,s behind me than I have in front of me so I aint moaning just going to enjoy what Ive got .

Who would have believed thirty odd years ago that the scene would still be around ? .

It doesnt need analysing just enjoying yes.gif

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gifhatsoff2.gifhatsoff2.gifhatsoff2.gifhatsoff2.gifyes.gifyes.gifyes.gifyes.gif

I Can't better that,

Well said Mark.thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Forgive me for what I'm going to say now but please can I ask you to go and do something, step back from all this debate take a deep breath go to your record room, record collection, CD or MP3's or whatever and stick on a tune of your choice old, new, modern, crossover, two step, classic, unknown, R'n'B or whatever floats your boat and remind yourselves why you are on this scene in the first place....the music, the records which have no politics or opinion only people hold that.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Well said Mark ,i play my matt munro honey on the vine often yes.gif

Social source share

Guest mooma

An interesting read through the posts, but it all comes to Supply and Demand, always will, always has. And the punters make their choice for whatever reason.hatsoff2.gif

Neil

dont ya think there is enuff polls going on with the sodding election going on??? its nowt to do with anyone where i may or may not go BUT!!!! I may tell ya for a bag of malteesers

sue

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

I voted and i do think there might be a lot of venues.

if i had the money to go to almost every night here for soul and Northern i would go but i don't so i only go to some even if same few. I do get asked about if am off to certain nights i say maybe but hate it when they keep going on about it. At end of the day i choose where i want to go

music came first for me too, then i went out and heard loads of i didn't know which now i love.

In fact what makes my blood boil is people who always say if you like a certain song or something a lot they can have the right to tell you it's crap but not like it's crap but in the way that there is other things better and you are not allowed to like it anymore. Well sadly that's wrong. we all have favourite songs so just because it might not be yours dosen't mean you can moan about it.

Social source share

Guest Phoenix8049

I voted and i do think there might be a lot of venues.

if i had the money to go to almost every night here for soul and Northern i would go but i don't so i only go to some even if same few. I do get asked about if am off to certain nights i say maybe but hate it when they keep going on about it. At end of the day i choose where i want to go

music came first for me too, then i went out and heard loads of i didn't know which now i love.

In fact what makes my blood boil is people who always say if you like a certain song or something a lot they can have the right to tell you it's crap but not like it's crap but in the way that there is other things better and you are not allowed to like it anymore. Well sadly that's wrong. we all have favourite songs so just because it might not be yours dosen't mean you can moan about it.

WELL SAID THAT MAN.

No music is crap no artist is crap.

And if its not to my taste,i would not call it crap,just cause i dont like it.

I was at an All dayer at the week end.They played some fantastic tunes,

But 1 in particular i just do not like,never liked it when i first heard it 40 years ago and still not like it now.

They played it twice and packed the floor out both times.

But that does not make it a crap record.

Stu.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert