Ever Been An All-Nighter At Preston Guild Hall?

Guest Phil Armstrong

• Replies 38
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Nick Harrison

Hi,

Does anyone know if there has ever been an all - nighter at Preston Guild Hall.

Phil

Ha Ha - it use to be the home of the televised world indoor bowling championships, the main venue and indoor televised snooker, but now't as lively as drug taking all nite dancing Gordon Mac Kivers, it was always labelled as the real home of the sunday drivers.

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

dont think so, they used to have them at a club called 'clouds' though...anyone remember them

Yes indeed one does...................................Garswood and a few all dayers, Red rose radio days.

The last all niter I went too in Preston was during June 1994 at Lancs Poly/Uni, Graeme Park, Alistair Whitehead....................but then this is the wrong forum for that sort of musical stuff.laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gifohmy.gif .

wink.gif Nick H.

Social source share

Guest Phil Armstrong

Hi Nick,

Sounds about due for one then?

phil

Yes indeed one does...................................Garswood and a few all dayers, Red rose radio days.

The last all niter I went too in Preston was during June 1994 at Lancs Poly/Uni, Graeme Park, Alistair Whitehead....................but then this is the wrong forum for that sort of musical stuff.laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gifohmy.gif .

wink.gif Nick H.

Social source share

Hi Nick,

Sounds about due for one then?

phil

Do you think you would get a licence for it? More to the point, do you think anyone will go to it?

Preston is a very strange place at the best of times. Even more so when it comes to all nighters. Hence why there is no history of any (to my knowledge anyway).

Social source share

Do you think you would get a licence for it? More to the point, do you think anyone will go to it?

Preston is a very strange place at the best of times. Even more so when it comes to all nighters. Hence why there is no history of any (to my knowledge anyway).

I tell a lie :thumbsup:

My husband has just informed that there was one at the Top Rank around 1980 ish but the police shut it down at around 4am.

Apparently people have tried in the past but the police always put a block on it.

Why anyone would even consider putting another allnighter on when there are already so many others on is beyond me.

Edited by jumpinjoan
Social source share

I tell a lie biggrin.gif

My husband has just informed that there was one at the Top Rank around 1980 ish but the police shut it down at around 4am.

Apparently people have tried in the past but the police always put a block on it.

Why anyone would even consider putting another allnighter on when there are already so many others on is beyond me.

There were all-dayers at the Top Rank and weekly soul nights early 70's.

Social source share

Guest Phil Armstrong

In that case why would you want run an allnighter in Preston?

More to the point why would you want to run an allnighter at all?

What do you have to offer that isn't already being delivered?

Hi Jumpinjoan,

Fully understand your points, although this can be said of any new soul night or all - nighter and we both know that people will start up new events.

Cheers

Phil

Social source share

Hi Jumpinjoan,

Fully understand your points, although this can be said of any new soul night or all - nighter and we both know that people will start up new events.

Cheers

Phil

Hi Phil.

Apologies if I came across a bit strong.

I know people are going to start up new events but for the life of me I can't understand why.

Why not just support the ones that are already going?

Unless you are going to offer something different of course. Are you going to be offering something different?

Social source share

Guest Phil Armstrong

Hi Phil.

Apologies if I came across a bit strong.

I know people are going to start up new events but for the life of me I can't understand why.

Why not just support the ones that are already going?

Unless you are going to offer something different of course. Are you going to be offering something different?

Hi Jumpinjoan,

No not too strong at all, go for it.

I'm not sure there is any Soul event out there offering anything different, they are all much of a muchness, venues come and venues go they always have and always will, if the new ones are sensible especially the large capacity venues, Preston, Guildall, Derby, Assembly Rooms etc are infrequent 1 to 2 a year, should be no probs and a healthy addition to the scene.

Cheers

Phil

Social source share

Wasn't Angels in Preston ?

Didn't they have the "Preston Pyramid Builders" at Wigan in the very late 70s ?

Big Modern following from the area due to Richard Searling

Rob

Rob ANGELS was in Burnley.

Modern soul nights were Sunday and one night midweek (I can't remember what night)

R. S. did one night and I. L. did the other.

I went to nearly every one.

Dave.

Social source share

Hi Jumpinjoan,

No not too strong at all, go for it.

I'm not sure there is any Soul event out there offering anything different, they are all much of a muchness, venues come and venues go they always have and always will, if the new ones are sensible especially the large capacity venues, Preston, Guildall, Derby, Assembly Rooms etc are infrequent 1 to 2 a year, should be no probs and a healthy addition to the scene.

Cheers

Phil

So that will be just another 'much of a muchness' venue to go with all the others then?

Good luck with it Phil. I shall watch with interest :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Phil Armstrong

So that will be just another 'much of a muchness' venue to go with all the others then?

Good luck with it Phil. I shall watch with interest biggrin.gif

Hi Jumpinjoan,

What ingreadients would you recommend adding to make an event different?

Cheers

Phil

Social source share

Modern soul nights were Sunday and one night midweek (I can't remember what night)

Dave.

Remember them well Dave biggrin.gif

Think mid week was on a tuesday ?

Someone correct me if im wrong huh.gif

juliebiggrin.gif

Social source share

Hi Jumpinjoan,

Cheers

Phil

There are so many venues at the moment I am sure everything is more than covered ten times over :thumbsup:

Anyway, I am not the one promoting you are. So can I ask what are you going to do to make your venue stand out?

Will you be DJing at this event of yours?

Social source share

Guest wigan bob

Hi Jumpinjoan,

Cheers

Phil

check other events on your date and if it clashes with another do within 100 miles dont do it

Social source share

Guest Phil Armstrong

There are so many venues at the moment I am sure everything is more than covered ten times over laugh.gif

Anyway, I am not the one promoting you are. So can I ask what are you going to do to make your venue stand out?

Will you be DJing at this event of yours?

Hi Jumpinjoan,

You will probably be proved correct and if I do run an all - nighter at the Guildhall Preston it may not stand out from all the other all nighters may even be an unmitigated disaster, I can only do my best to make it as good as I can.

I posted the question has there ever been an all nighter at this venue because I didnt know of one ever being held there and I have the opportunity of having one if I decide to do so.

Cheers

phil

Social source share

Hi Jumpinjoan,

You will probably be proved correct and if I do run an all - nighter at the Guildhall Preston it may not stand out from all the other all nighters may even be an unmitigated disaster, I can only do my best to make it as good as I can.

I posted the question has there ever been an all nighter at this venue because I didnt know of one ever being held there and I have the opportunity of having one if I decide to do so.

Cheers

phil

It is not about being proved right or wrong. I hope it is a big success for you.

Will you be DJing?

Social source share

Guest Phil Armstrong

It is not about being proved right or wrong. I hope it is a big success for you.

Will you be DJing?

Hi Jumpinjoan,

Many thanks, much appreciated.

Sorry I didnt anser that, No I wont be DJing I'm not an all nighter standard, I believe that All - nighter DJ's should be Professional and OVO.

Dont want to get too bogged down with Preston that was just one of many possibles.

Cheers

Phil

Social source share

Dave.

Thanks Dave

(Hi Lou)

remember him going on about it on his radio show at various times....

sure there was a similar club in Preston-near a very modern shopping centre/bus station ??

Its a bloody long time ago !

laugh.gifRob

Social source share

Thanks Dave

(Hi Lou)

remember him going on about it on his radio show at various times....

sure there was a similar club in Preston-near a very modern shopping centre/bus station ??

Its a bloody long time ago !

:laugh:Rob

Rob. Lou says she looking forward to Brid, and she won't forget the glasses.:laugh:

Dave.

Social source share

Guest Phil Armstrong

Hi,

Isnt there a Soul Night currently running in Preston every other month at The Labour Club?

Cheers

Phil

Social source share

Remember them well Dave :D

Think mid week was on a tuesday ?

Someone correct me if im wrong :huh:

julie:D

I thought the midweek was Wednesday?

Ang

Social source share

There used to be one in the eighties (85-87 ish I think) down a street of Fishergate. The street was very steep so you went in up a set of steps to a low room. Smashing events, attended by a small loyal.crowd. We used to go down from Barrow in a couple of cars and meet up with Rick and a few others from Kirkham. Phil T was also a regular, usually coming down with me.

Fond memories.

Worth another go??yes.gif

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest North End Soul

There was a soul night at a club called the gatsby in preston in the 80's, run by derek smith i think? Good times

Yep Gaz Kellet used to dj there now and again, it was in a small room underneath the regular disco/nightclub upstairs.

Social source share

Guest North End Soul

I went to nighters a few times in the 80s , think it was called Pineapple Grove or something like that

Do you mean The Coconut Grove, round the back of the high rise flats?

Some Prestonians might remember the blues parties in the flats that took place well into the 80's.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert