Whats The Most You've Been Had

• Replies 30
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

sorry to here about that. orig on styrene with big X stamp in run out with stuck on label. if youre not armed with the knowledge this record buying game is a nigtmare. i paid £80 for a foxie lila probably the week after dwight franklin had repressed them. turns out these 2nd issue are worth £20 at best. i wonder how many other people have been mugged. must be a rare pressing tho coz you never see them around. all advertised as real ones:wicked:

dave

Social source share

Guest BIG H

manage to diddle myself when selling a copy of Pages Heartaches And Pain,

was convinced the one i had wasn't real, so let it go for £60.............. it's all swings and roundabouts tho

Social source share

Saw a issue copy of Al Williams on La Beat on ebay listed with $100 start price ,talked the seller into letting me have it for $200..........waited........and waited..............and it never camesad.gif

Contacted Paypal ,they said she'd cleared her account !

Whats that old saying ..."if it's too good to be true".............

Win some you lose some......and it has'nt stopped me doing the same thing againno.gif

Social source share

Back in the early days of ebay I lost several hundred pounds by buying a job lot of 3 or 400 soul records described as being in vg/ex, every one had to be thrown away because they were in too poor a condition to play. The seller is a member on here, UK based. Forgiven but not forgotten.

Social source share

sorry to here about that. orig on styrene with big X stamp in run out with stuck on label. if youre not armed with the knowledge this record buying game is a nigtmare. i paid £80 for a foxie lila probably the week after dwight franklin had repressed them. turns out these 2nd issue are worth £20 at best. i wonder how many other people have been mugged. must be a rare pressing tho coz you never see them around. all advertised as real oneswicked.gif

dave

hi dave the real ones are nearly all slightly water damaged so if you want one best to go for them also dwight scratched out the matix numbers on the repress.

mark

Social source share

WE KNOW THAT NOW MARK, BUT AT THE TIME THIS WASNT COMMON KNOWLEDGE sad.gif

BRI PINCH

You could have had a real one for $20 if you got in early enoughwink.gif

P.s Mark, My REAL ONE has'nt got any water marks /stains but then again it cost me a lot more than $20sad.gif

Social source share

I took a chance and paid something like $75 for a 45 without a label that was marked as 'unknown'. Turned out to be a pre-Atlantic Wilson Pickett that was only 'unknown' to the seller and worth about a tenner at best if in mint condition. However, not only did this one not have any labels, but it also looked as if it had been found on the fast lane of the motorway. :laugh:

Live and learn!

Social source share

Back in the early days of ebay I lost several hundred pounds by buying a job lot of 3 or 400 soul records described as being in vg/ex, every one had to be thrown away because they were in too poor a condition to play. The seller is a member on here, UK based. Forgiven but not forgotten.

EARLY DAYS OR NOT THAT WAS VERY NAUGHTY DID HE OR SHE COMPENSATE IN ANY WAY PETE AND HAS THEIR GRADING IMPROVED WE NEED TO KNOW

:unsure:

KEV

Social source share

Saw a issue copy of Al Williams on La Beat on ebay listed with $100 start price ,talked the seller into letting me have it for $200..........waited........and waited..............and it never came:sad:

Win some you lose some......and it has'nt stopped me doing the same thing again:no:

That's a move I have had done on me. See something on Ebay, negotiate a BIN with seller off the Bay but with Paypal payment.

Wait, nothing arrives, go through Paypal to sort it but seller has emptied there paypal account and nothing can be done.

Like you Nev, I've done it since with no problems, but for the risk averse stay on Ebay as they have more powers than Paypal to get you your money back..

Regards,

Greg.

Social source share

Saw a issue copy of Al Williams on La Beat on ebay listed with $100 start price ,talked the seller into letting me have it for $200..........waited........and waited..............and it never camesad.gif

Win some you lose some......and it has'nt stopped me doing the same thing againno.gif

Had a similar experience a long time ago on ebay with frankie beverly on fairmount, everything looked good, paid what I thought was a bargain price about £500 and of course nowt ever came............ :yes: some you win some you don't

Social source share

That happened to me in the early days of ebay too Pete!

Must have been 600+ US Soul 45's

'cept these came from the US so I paid massive postage fees and to top it all i had monster customs/vat charges on it from the PO

Every single one was fooked, hundreds and hundreds of the little bastards!

Could not keep or sell a single one of them!

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

was convinced the one i had wasn't real, so let it go for £60.............. it's all swings and roundabouts tho

Strange as I got my real copy of the Pages off a very well known record dealer who was convinced it was a boot.

Even managed to knock him down from £6 to a fiverlaugh.gifhatsoff2.gif

Social source share

That happened to me in the early days of ebay too Pete!

Must have been 600+ US Soul 45's

'cept these came from the US so I paid massive postage fees and to top it all i had monster customs/vat charges on it from the PO

Every single one was fooked, hundreds and hundreds of the little bastards!

Could not keep or sell a single one of them!

Cheers

Steve

...and I look through them every year at Soul Essence :yes:

Social source share

Early ebay days bought a job lot of 440+ R'nB Soul from a seller called Christian Artifacts. Pictures with all the right labels and a few tasty looking singles. With a name lke that I thought I could trust him, I had sucessfully bought a few job lots from the States, chased and chased and found out that his account had been banned, no paypal guarantees then so £300 down the pan, I wonder where the b*st*rd is now, in hell I hope!!!!!

CAVEAT EMPTOR

Social source share

I got ripped off over an eBay item a few years ago now - a green vinyl Luther Ingram on HIB - by a guy called Andy Scoffin from Crewe.

I gave him all the relevant information when I got the record - including extracts from Manship's Bootleg guide and expert opinions kindly provided on the 45 by several recognised names on the rare soul scene - proving the record was a bootleg.

I lost under £100, but the evidence that the record was a bootleg was very clear. Ebay did nothing (as I recall I think the guy delayed things until the deadline for a dispute passed by suggesting all along he would sort it out).

Anyway, the **** decided to take the position that the record was original and he kept my money.

I haven't forgotten and just looked the **** up on facebook.

Anyone know him?

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Should a dark greenish blue, mine is maroon
Hi , mine is maroon too , it looks very authentic doesn't it :angry: lol in my ignorance I heard it last month on the York dayer Cd and thought WOW what a fantastic record , immediately searched on ebay to be gobsmacked ( really sorry this bit is going to hurt ) 5 dollars ! in my excitement i snapped it up . Then later I played to my Carmie groups ( audio club) and Kev shattered my Utopia by telling me it was a boot . I then did a bit more research and found Tommys bluey one .... but as luck would have it Nige managed to source an original :wink: this week ....so I get to dance to it rather than play it . Who knows in time he may tire of it and sell it to me ............ ..yeah pigs might fly I do recall waiting for Stirling Mgee to fall thru the door once and Frank Ifield turned up in:angry: stead Carms Edited by Carms
Social source share

Hi , mine is maroon too , it looks very authentic doesn't it angry.gif lol in my ignorance I heard it last month on the York dayer Cd and thought WOW what a fantastic record , immediately searched on ebay to be gobsmacked ( really sorry this bit is going to hurt ) 5 dollars ! in my excitement i snapped it up . Then later I played to my Carmie groups ( audio club) and Kev shattered my Utopia by telling me it was a boot . I then did a bit more research and found Tommys bluey one .... but as luck would have it Nige managed to source an original wink.gif this week ....so I get to dance to it rather than play it . Who knows in time he may tire of it and sell it to me ............ ..yeah pigs might fly I do recall waiting for Stirling Mgee to fall thru the door once and Frank Ifield turned up inangry.gif stead Carms

When I got mine maybe 3yrs ago it obviously wasn't widely known to be booted as I beat a fair few other bidders on ebay for it :ohmy:

It's not a record I could ever play out to the soul crowd here so I've only ever played it on radio, though I must say not sice I found out it wasn't real mostly due to my own disappointment. I'll get a real one oneday. You live and you learn!

Social source share

When I got mine maybe 3yrs ago it obviously wasn't widely known to be booted as I beat a fair few other bidders on ebay for it frusty2.gif

It's not a record I could ever play out to the soul crowd here so I've only ever played it on radio, though I must say not sice I found out it wasn't real mostly due to my own disappointment. I'll get a real one oneday. You live and you learn!

----------

Really ? I am shocked ohmy.gif , not even in the afternoon ? There will come a time when the crowd down under wants this type of record I am sure of it. meanwhile you will have to keep plugging it on the radio. I really like it with the Vondors back to back they follow very nice.

Social source share

It was £20 not £60 you let it go for! Just to make you feel worse!:sad:

I got didled out of $125(When it was $2 to the pound) for a white capitol demo of Al delory -Right on. The record never arrived and the seller laughed at me in emails cos I sent the money in cash to the USA. He said he had changed his mind about it and I could go & F**K myself- It was 7 years ago!:sad::sad::sad:

Social source share

I got ripped off over an eBay item a few years ago now - a green vinyl Luther Ingram on HIB - by a guy called Andy Scoffin from Crewe.

I gave him all the relevant information when I got the record - including extracts from Manship's Bootleg guide and expert opinions kindly provided on the 45 by several recognised names on the rare soul scene - proving the record was a bootleg.

I lost under £100, but the evidence that the record was a bootleg was very clear. Ebay did nothing (as I recall I think the guy delayed things until the deadline for a dispute passed by suggesting all along he would sort it out).

Anyway, the **** decided to take the position that the record was original and he kept my money.

I haven't forgotten and just looked the **** up on facebook.

Anyone know him?

Cheers

Richard

I don't live far from Crewe and I know of him, never had anything to do with him though. I think I'm right in saying he's not very well at the moment

All the Best

Martin

Social source share

I got didled out of $125(When it was $2 to the pound) for a white capitol demo of Al delory -Right on. The record never arrived and the seller laughed at me in emails cos I sent the money in cash to the USA. He said he had changed his mind about it and I could go & F**K myself- It was 7 years ago!

I cant believe that,what a cheeky wanker!

Ive only had the one r and b single that never got sent from an ebay seller,wasnt a large ammount I payed but waited over a month then reported it to ebay after no replies to my emails and they did nowt!

Waited 3 months for a 45 from a british seller on ebay,after 2 months finaly got an email from his mate saying he'd been taken into hospital with leukemia or something which obviously I couldnt prove was true or not.

So asked his mate to get the 45,acess his ebay and post the record to me to which he replied Id have to wait untill he got out of hospital!

So after another month got it with an apology,still gave him a neutral feedback which I felt a bit of an arse doing as he could of been generaly ill but why not just get his friend to post it!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert