Scheduled For Uk Release

Pete's other thread got me thinking of records that were listed or even just negotiated for UK release but never got a full issue or nowt at all.

First Choice This Is The House. Pye

Sam Nesbitt Black Mother Goose. 444

Gerri Hall Who Can I Run To. Sue

Billy Garner You're Wasting My Time. Beacon

Please add more

Ady

Edited by ady croasdell
Social source share

• Replies 33
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

GRP 137 RONNIE AND ROBYN:

"As Long As You Love Me"

Big orchestral backing and occasional harp breaks helped this classic boy/girl duet from Detroit's Sidra label, scheduled for release with the more popular instrumental version, but then scrapped.

no infringement of copyright intended pete

kev

Social source share

Chris Jackson - Since there's no doubt , due to be released on Dave Godin's new [ at the time ] label 444 ...it never happened ..cheers ,Eddie

Although at least one copy did sneak out as I saw it one night at Blackpool Mecca.

Can't remember who had it but I think Ady might remember, I think he was there that night?

Never seen or heard of it since, except in conversations on here.

Social source share

Thought Soussan ended up with Chris Jackson? sure it was amongst the stuff he bought down to Yate.

I actually had it on a Mecca tape that disintegrated years ago..haven´t heard it since,don´t even remember what it sounds like(till i hear it again!) but wasn´t it simalar to You took a heart that was torn to pieces_Total Eclipses?

Steve

It now resides in Wolverhampton - sadly not in my box - John Pugh has it. - It was the same backing as total Eclipse, but a completely different mix.

Cheers

Mick Holdsworth

Social source share

Although at least one copy did sneak out as I saw it one night at Blackpool Mecca.

Can't remember who had it but I think Ady might remember, I think he was there that night?

Never seen or heard of it since, except in conversations on here.

Not me Den I didn't go to the Mecca as far as I can remember. I'm pretty sure it was a SC acetate but that counts too.

Social source share

Not me Den I didn't go to the Mecca as far as I can remember. I'm pretty sure it was a SC acetate but that counts too.

Nah, I'm pretty certain it was on 444.

And I don't want to worry you, but you were there. :o)

Doo doo doo, Doo doo doo.

Social source share

"Since There's No Doubt" was scheduled for Soul City Eddie (SC120).

It was Sam Nesbitt BMG that was cancelled on 444

:thumbup:

Sean

Yes, I remember now, that 'Since There's No Doubt' was due for an SC120 release.

So, it was BMG that I saw at Blackpool Mecca then?

Oh well, it WAS about 35 years ago.

Anybody got scans if these two respective labels?

Social source share

Fork In The Road " Can't Turn Around Now" .

Pete Smith notes in the other current thread as follows:

311 Fork In The Road - I Can’t Turn Around - A real mystery record which for a long time was thought to only exist in the minds of befuddled UK collectors. At the time of writing, under 10 copies have now surfaced, utilising the black 70’s design label. However, one collector has a copy on the pale blue label with hand written details. I would presume that the record was manufactured for release and then withdrawn and presumably scrapped. This must be where the black issues come from because, as always, a handful always escape - look at John’s Children’s ‘Midsummer Nights Scene’ single for instance - release scrapped, so the band gave them away at their club. Result? The rarest ever UK 45 valued at £2500.

Can someone post up a picture of the record please ?

Is it still regarded as the rarest ever UK soul 45 ?

Anyone seen one for sale in recent memory ?

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

Pete's other thread got me thinking of records that were listed or even just negotiated for UK release but never got a full issue or nowt at all.

Please add more

Ady

still have the advert for 444 label from blues and soul
Social source share

Fork In The Road " Can't Turn Around Now" .

Pete Smith notes in the other current thread as follows:

311 Fork In The Road - I Can't Turn Around - A real mystery record which for a long time was thought to only exist in the minds of befuddled UK collectors. At the time of writing, under 10 copies have now surfaced, utilising the black 70's design label. However, one collector has a copy on the pale blue label with hand written details. I would presume that the record was manufactured for release and then withdrawn and presumably scrapped. This must be where the black issues come from because, as always, a handful always escape - look at John's Children's 'Midsummer Nights Scene' single for instance - release scrapped, so the band gave them away at their club. Result? The rarest ever UK 45 valued at £2500.

Can someone post up a picture of the record please ?

Is it still regarded as the rarest ever UK soul 45 ?

Anyone seen one for sale in recent memory ?

I had one in my hands 2 weeks ago. Mick currently has a spare copy. It's the blue Ember label, with handwritten titles, interestingly the titles have been written on the wrong sides - Mick says the other test pressings have the same handwriting and make the same error too.

Social source share

Name It And Claim It - Daryl Stewart on PYE made it to 7" acetate

Correct, there were a few of these, Curtis Blandon was another and I had one featuring Jimmy Breedlove (which came out on Pye) backed with an instrumental, possibly by The fenways, anyway it never came out. Never mind people auctioning these, I sold mine set sale for £15 last year.

Social source share

"Since There's No Doubt" was scheduled for Soul City Eddie (SC120).

It was Sam Nesbitt BMG that was cancelled on 444

:thumbsup:

Sean

Not much tends to stir my brain cells these days but I have memories of anticipating the release of Chris Jackson on the "new" Soul City. That never happened. Then it was a brand new label, 444 with Sam Nesbitt the first scheduled release and wasnt there a female track also initially scheduled? Weeks, months went by with nothing appearing but the word was that the releases were "definite". I think the rumours also included Chris Jackson on 444. Alan Day spun Sam Nesbitt in the early days of the Up The Junction and I remember an announcement that it would be released "next week". Is Richard Searling here on Soul Source? He will have the same memories as me (possibly excepting being off his box at the Junction!)

Social source share

Please add more

Ady

Paul Pelletier's Stateside book says that Jimmy Radcliffe's "My ship is coming in" was scheduled as SS 475, the number eventually given to Betty Harris - "What a sad feeling/I'm evil tonight".

Does anyone know what titles were planned for the 2 missing black Chess numbers?

Cheers

Nick

Social source share

I remember week after week trying to get "This is the house" by First Choice, had the release sheet but the record never ever turned up then low and behold "One Step Away" turns up on Bell as a B Side to "Smarty Pants" if I remember correctly, this was the B side to the US copy of "This is the House". I know there's test presses but if an issue did turn up then it would be up there with the rarest of the rare UK releases.

Edited by funkyfeet
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Dionne Warwick - Make The Music Play (Stateside) - was allocated a catalogue number but the release was cancelled when Scepter moved from Stateside to Pye International.

Edwin Starr & Blinky - Oh How Happy. TMG 720 release cancelled at the demo stage. Eventually came out as TMG 748

I also heard, from someone who worked for EMI at the time, that Marvin Gaye's "Baby Don't You Do it" was briefly allocated a Stateside number that was subsequently re-used for something else.

And I'm sure that the Isley Brothers' "That's The Way Love Is" must have been scheduled for UK release at some point, as it was in the Top 20 of pirate radio ship Radio London's final Top 40 in the week that the station closed down - and they didn't play imports as a rule...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert