Why Do People Buy A Record When Its In Demand?

like most other dealers/collectors ive had endless records go through my hands that i cant seem to give away until someone starts spinning it.The fact is that the record is still the same but the mindset is different,surely a record is good or it aint and no amount of time should change that.So the basis of my argument is if a record sounds good to your ear and its cheap then buy it now because as sure as my hat is black someone will be spinning it in the near future and the price may well go trough the roof. It will then become"in-demand" and the world and its mother will be after it and lets be honest about it you dont want to be one of those people who says "i could have bought that last year for a fiver" do you?sad.gif

Social source share

• Replies 33
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Bearsy

most people dont know every record Vince (not saying that your saying that you do of course) and until its played they wouldnt know how good it is and if its good its good regardless of price like you say and also peeps forget what they actually have and need a reminding of some kind,

But people will buy tunes just cos they are in demand and played by a reputable dj or just cos they fill a dance floor, me im guilty of buying the odd tune thats in demand at the moment cos if its that good i want a copy but i do try to buy stuff that i dont know of or heard before but thats the enjoyable part of listening to hundreds of tunes every week biggrin.gif

buy before they are big and sell em when the price rockets to fund your next unknowns, well thats a theory anyway thumbsup.gif

Social source share

most people dont know every record Vince (not saying that your saying that you do of course) and until its played they wouldnt know how good it is and if its good its good regardless of price like you say and also peeps forget what they actually have and need a reminding of some kind,

But people will buy tunes just cos they are in demand and played by a reputable dj or just cos they fill a dance floor, me im guilty of buying the odd tune thats in demand at the moment cos if its that good i want a copy but i do try to buy stuff that i dont know of or heard before but thats the enjoyable part of listening to hundreds of tunes every week biggrin.gif

buy before they are big and sell em when the price rockets to fund your next unknowns, well thats a theory anyway thumbsup.gif

point taken but i should have pointed out that ive played records to people over the years and the reaction is something like "well, its alright but not for me" and then some time later the record goes big then they want to buy it.That makes no sense to me me whatsoeverunsure.gif

Social source share

Guest southside45

Think it's got more to do with human nature than anything else Vince.

And of course in any 'scene' there will always be those that follow the 'fashion' if you know what I mean(?)

Being 'different' and not following the crowd in any walk of life is usually frowned on. That includes what tunes you buy.

Everything has it's 15 minutes of 'fame' too so to speak.

In one week. Out the next (or year depending on how popular it is amongst the masses).

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

point taken but i should have pointed out that ive played records to people over the years and the reaction is something like "well, its alright but not for me" and then some time later the record goes big then they want to buy it.That makes no sense to me me whatsoeverunsure.gif

know what you mean now Vince, all of a sudden a tune sounds great cos its indemand, there are djs out there that buy indemand cos they wanna be seen to be on the ball or just tunes cos others like them and they dont even like the tunes themselves rolleyes.gif

Social source share

You could ask the same question about chart hits. Some people only buy hit records.

Personally, I buy "popular" records so that I come across as a "popular" kind of guy.

no.gif

Social source share

like most other dealers/collectors ive had endless records go through my hands that i cant seem to give away until someone starts spinning it.The fact is that the record is still the same but the mindset is different,surely a record is good or it aint and no amount of time should change that.So the basis of my argument is if a record sounds good to your ear and its cheap then buy it now because as sure as my hat is black someone will be spinning it in the near future and the price may well go trough the roof. It will then become"in-demand" and the world and its mother will be after it and lets be honest about it you dont want to be one of those people who says "i could have bought that last year for a fiver" do you?sad.gif

agree my same point of view....i always try to buy something fresh for my ears the funniest part of this kind of thing is the "diggin" (sadly more often the web one :g: )...i buy also if a record is quite well known and for a right price or for what i'll pay for it....however i've an my personal taste and try to make people dance with it...have something of well known to spin is useful for sure....(and it depends in such kind of venue you're) an example: i'm an italian 30 years old usually play or in mod context or in soul context around the italy...and i try ever to balance to play something known something rare something cheap something that imho is not so known...or something not so usual for that kind of night...like something more in latin style or funkier....when i play in my city or in club for regular people...i must play especially something that could be recognize from my listener....so i try in a right way to use some well known soul track (track included in spot, film etc etc). at the end i'm very few times after something "in demand" but not for a snob way of thinking but only because the track must made me crazy....usually when you go crazy or in an hard psychosis search for a track is only why you never heard that track and you'll pick up it soon as possible...Jacques Lacan says "we're wishing machine" true....!!! my opinion of course...my best and sorry for my english Alfredo :huh:

Social source share

know what you mean now Vince, all of a sudden a tune sounds great cos its indemand, there are djs out there that buy indemand cos they wanna be seen to be on the ball or just tunes cos others like them and they dont even like the tunes themselves rolleyes.gif

crazy innit wait for a record to go big pay top brass for it then watch it go out of fashion and stick it in your £5.00 sales box.

Anyone found collecting using this remit should be taken outside, put against a wall then shot as this would be the kindest thingyes.gif

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

crazy innit wait for a record to go big pay top brass for it then watch it go out of fashion and stick it in your £5.00 sales box.

Anyone found collecting using this remit should be taken outside, put against a wall then shot as this would be the kindest thingyes.gif

you wanna hold them or pull the trigger Vince laugh.gif

Social source share

you wanna hold them or pull the trigger Vince :laugh:

thanks for your help mate but i think i would be able to do this on my own as im sure that anyone falling for the aformentioned record buying remit would surely not understand that they are about to be shot and would gladly stand against the wall and await their fate "lambs to the slaughter":lamsey: etc. however there maybe some stronger willed types who may need holding down and for this i would greatly appreciate your help so that i will be able to do the "kindest thing" so to speak.

Of course it would only be fair that we take it in turns i'm sure you would agree:smile:

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

thanks for your help mate but i think i would be able to do this on my own as im sure that anyone falling for the aformentioned record buying remit would surely not understand that they are about to be shot and would gladly stand against the wall and await their fate "lambs to the slaughter":lamsey: etc. however there maybe some stronger willed types who may need holding down and for this i would greatly appreciate your help so that i will be able to do the "kindest thing" so to speak.

Of course it would only be fair that we take it in turns i'm sure you would agree:smile:

got anyone in mind then Vince :laugh:

Social source share

I actively try and avoid buying records that are 'in demand' and so are also at their theoretical top price.

This means that if I didn't already know the record before its current phase of popularity I will just wait until the demand and price drop - which they very often do.

Most importantly (and this for me is one of the key aspects of successful of collecting) is the active researching and hunting down of good records that have not yet had their time (i.e. before they go big and go up in price) - but not everyone has the time or inclination to do the hard work with this.

Paying top price for 'in-demand' records, unless you are a DJ, seems like a waste of money to me.

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

I actively try and avoid buying records that are 'in demand' and so are also at their theoretical top price.

This means that if I didn't already know the record before its current phase of popularity I will just wait until the demand and price drop - which they very often do.

Most importantly (and this for me is one of the key aspects of successful of collecting) is the active researching and hunting down of good records that have not yet had their time (i.e. before they go big and go up in price) - but not everyone has the time or inclination to do the hard work with this.

Paying top price for 'in-demand' records, unless you are a DJ, seems like a waste of money to me.

Cheers

Richard

Some great points there Richard, the "researching and hunting down" aspect applies to a lot of genuine soul buffs but as has been previously suggested, some people don,t have an ear for a sound and just follow what the so called names play, its always bugged me when so and so plays a record, the response seems to be "well if he's playing it it must be a good record" when in actual fact a "lesser name" can play the exact same record and it goes almost ignored, example being The Flairs, "You got to Steal it", I have immense respect for the guy who played it, but its a record that has been around for years (flip is incredible) and aired numerous times by collector/ DJ,s, then all of a sudden theres a mad scramble for it, sad really.

Kev

Social source share

Guest Beeks

It's all about having a good ear..A lot of my box is completely out there..stuff nobody plays and might not even want to..while the rest is made up of semi knowns and a smattering of monsters..I'm not afraid of paying a bit more for a record that might have passed me by..it happens..but I've also bought records for peanuts and sold them on for considerably more..you win some you lose some..one thing I'd never do is buy something I don't love..that's just f**king daft

Edited by Beeks
Social source share

It's all about having a good ear..A lot of my box is completely out there..stuff nobody plays and might not even want to..while the rest is made up of semi knowns and a smattering if monsters..I'm not afraid of paying a bit more for a record that might have passed me by..it happens..but I've also bought records for peanuts and sold them on for considerably more..you win some you lose some..one thing I'd never do is buy something I don't love..that's just f**king daft

What about your other ear Beeks? Is it for balancing your glasses on?biggrin.gif

Social source share

Cheers

Richard

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif Great posthatsoff2.gif

Social source share

I think I made a pretty good investment in the tunes I bought from you recently Vince wink.gif , had a very enjoyable day, listening to pretty much unknowns & shooting the Sh*t.........it was nice to get back to doing it the old fashioned way for a change, you were a great host & I have a mit full o vinyl that I love & generally did not know previously..........the disc I have covered up as Judy Freeman & Black Rock is particularly tasty & everyone who has heard it so far agrees...........pity I cant DJ more these days to get it out there & heard, difficult tho, what with working in Baghdad & all that, still, home next week so hopefully ooot n abooot & finding more of them gems............

I also think that some times people have never heard a tune before it goes big & thats why demand increases.......

Russ

Social source share

Sometimes it's only when they are in demand that they surface. For example I was after a copy of Ronnie McCain a few years back, I'd miss it on the odd list at 20-30quid then it started getting spins and I'd see it for sale all the time for around 80/100. I was lucky a guy on this board sold me one cheap saying the prices being asked were crazy. How ever I have to say my orginal posts a year or so before asking for a copy on here went unnoticed.

Living in Australia I don't give a tinkers cuss about whats in demand on the other side of the world, when stuff does go up in price due to plays I wait it out and if it's something I didn't know before I do the same hoping the price will go down. But if you want it NOW and can afford it, you buy. Like every collector I have 100's of records that have gone up in price since I bought them and 100's that have gone down. Swings and round-a-bouts.

Right then... anybody got a copy of the Soul For Sale 45. I need it!:no:

Social source share

If we take the commercial pop charts first and establish that there is an element of brainwashing from the radio stations and the song "Hook" becomes lodged in the brain and this results in record sales, nothing new or earth shattering about that.

The Northernsoul "In demand" tune has the same effect from DJ plays giving the track exposure but there are other elements to this that are missing from commercial pop charts such as ambience , a connection to a real memory rather than an imagined or suggested one.

When I get a tune rattling around in my Swede it's not only because of the hook, it's because it's going to become a photograph of an enjoyable set of nights out. You can of course attach different things such as places, people and emotions not forgetting that Northernsoul now days stirs many dormant memories and sends us hurtling back to a yesteryear of youthful whimsy.

Northernsoul gives an intoxicating element that stimulates and stirs, the smile factor is immeasurable and when a "In demand" track has captured your imagination the pull is quite strong indeed.

To want and need to have that "In demand" track is the want and need for a tangible record of a great time accompanied by a track you enjoy.

Social source share

I agree with all of the points that peer pressure is an influencing factor. Sometimes as a species we are more sheep-like than human. There is one other factor that hasn't been mentioned yet, and that's the fact that tracks sound completely different when played out at a venue than they do when on your turntable at home.

A tune played to you round at a mate's house, and which you express no real like for, suddenly becomes something completely different when you hear it pumped out loud and bassy at a venue for the first time.

Mind you, numerous times in the past, 45s bought because I'd heard them played at clubs or allnighters have sounded, well, quite disappointing when played in the quiet and comfort of home; so much so that they sound like completely different songs that perhaps I wouldn't have bought had I heard them in a domestic situation first.

Social source share

I agree with all of the points that peer pressure is an influencing factor. Sometimes as a species we are more sheep-like than human. There is one other factor that hasn't been mentioned yet, and that's the fact that tracks sound completely different when played out at a venue than they do when on your turntable at home.

A tune played to you round at a mate's house, and which you express no real like for, suddenly becomes something completely different when you hear it pumped out loud and bassy at a venue for the first time.

Mind you, numerous times in the past, 45s bought because I'd heard them played at clubs or allnighters have sounded, well, quite disappointing when played in the quiet and comfort of home; so much so that they sound like completely different songs that perhaps I wouldn't have bought had I heard them in a domestic situation first.

Absolutely agree with this, a Nighter sound system, atmosphere, artificial stimulants etc, etc..........

Another thing too........how many times have you got home from a Nighter having bought an'unknown' to you monster........only to find that in the cold light of dawn ya had ya 'gear ears' on when listening on the Burger :laugh: ........its even worst when you have told all & sundry how great ya next big thing is, only to find that in the morning, back at your gaff, when ya give ya mates the first official airing, it turns out to be a pile of shite hahahahahahah.......this happened last year, with a close friend & all assembled were rolling around with laughter, 'B' sides were checked, pitch changed everything, until it was eventually decided that the soul troll had switched the discs at some time in the night before getting home lol !!!.

Good thread Vince.

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Buy tunes coz ya like em end of...........people who buy tunes wether or not they like em, just coz someone else is playing em.....always get it wrong, hence so many rubbish dj,s....it,s gotta come from your belief/passion in a tune....known,unknown,reactivated or what ever........then you,ll have it about right....atb trevor

Social source share

Guest Phoenix8049

I think exposure to one's ears is a major factor.

I would not like to think how many records i have heard once or twice over the years.

That i thought,this is crap.

And then after a few more plays i begin to like it.

And very often in the end it turns out to be one of my all time favorite records.

Stu.

Social source share

I disagree about the "Peer pressure".

There is no peer pressure to buy a Northernsoul disc, how can there be? It's not as if any one will ever see you in your back bedroom, iPod or whilst driving?

Young kids buying chart records are exposed to criticisms at school, on the bus, in the play ground and they are more likely to rub shoulders with their peer group than a middle aged Northernsoul fan?

We are, as a species, very much like sheep but the average Northernsoul fan has chosen this kinda music because it steps away from the middle lane, the commercial and the well know, the paradox is that some floor fillers are popular but even then these tracks can and do get dropped like a hot potato when given too much exposure.

If you are buying a track because you are a DJ who needs the relevant tunes then that's OK.

Are there really people who buy tracks that they don't like because they are in demand? I can't honestly see this being true? Can any one substantiate this? I think I will need a little more than hear say to believe that such a div actually exists?

Social source share

I think I made a pretty good investment in the tunes I bought from you recently Vince wink.gif , had a very enjoyable day, listening to pretty much unknowns & shooting the Sh*t.........it was nice to get back to doing it the old fashioned way for a change, you were a great host & I have a mit full o vinyl that I love & generally did not know previously..........the disc I have covered up as Judy Freeman & Black Rock is particularly tasty & everyone who has heard it so far agrees...........pity I cant DJ more these days to get it out there & heard, difficult tho, what with working in Baghdad & all that, still, home next week so hopefully ooot n abooot & finding more of them gems............

I also think that some times people have never heard a tune before it goes big & thats why demand increases.......

Russ

Can't you play it to the Baggies Russ?

Social source share

Many yrs ago i used to work for Aly Mayer (Leicester Oddfellows promotor) on his Leicester market stall, the deal was £10 a day or have a root through the hundreds of records below the shelves and take your pick.

One day was doing such a thing and came across 2 copies each of Wade Flemmons "Jenette" and Donna Coleman "Loves To Strong" all in mint nick, at the time they was mostly not known but i loved em!! Tried to get my circle of friends at that time to buy the other copies off of me, (they have to remain nameless to save red faces) they all to a man looked at me with horror when i said these need to be played. How times have changed eh?? What they worth today?? bout £300 each?? i wanted £5.00 each!!

Social source share

Many yrs ago i used to work for Aly Mayer (Leicester Oddfellows promotor) on his Leicester market stall, the deal was £10 a day or have a root through the hundreds of records below the shelves and take your pick.

One day was doing such a thing and came across 2 copies each of Wade Flemmons "Jenette" and Donna Coleman "Loves To Strong" all in mint nick, at the time they was mostly not known but i loved em!! Tried to get my circle of friends at that time to buy the other copies off of me, (they have to remain nameless to save red faces) they all to a man looked at me with horror when i said these need to be played. How times have changed eh?? What they worth today?? bout £300 each?? i wanted £5.00 each!!

great minds think alike as they say,you've totally got where im coming from on this postthumbsup.gif

Social source share

I suppose the difference to the 'good old days' is that some records these days become instantly 'in-demand' after they appear on a popular CD.

Witness the lunacy over Mike Pedicin. One minute it's a moderately affordable 45 that you'll have only ever heard on the scene. Then after it appears on a compilation that everyone world-wide has access to...whoosh it's costing £1000 and over. To hell with that!

Maybe people should see what Kent or ACE have in the pipeline for future releases and buy accordingly..or more sensibly just buy whatever they like and ignore the rabble!

Social source share

Ok then,a record i used to play covered up as AC REED Youre really mean, is available off John Manships list for a tenner, i could tell you what it:rolleyes: it is but that would be easy!!

Potential is still out there, LLoyd Price-Youre reading me on Double L records. hope to see it on playlists soon,or do i have Trolls ears as well?

Steve.

PS Vince remember when you sold me the Drapers at the 1OO club when it was still "The Three Strangers" ?

to be honest steve i can remember having the drapers but i cant remember who i sold it to,so im pleased it was you and im sure you bought it for a song,off subject i know but do you still have it and is it worth much these days or just another one of those "time and place" 45s

Social source share

Guest Glawster

Is it possible for you (Vince) and Bearsy to hold a water pistol to my head because I'm sure I would get the message! Then I can get on with another hobby such as sharing a hot tub with my relatives!

Dont forget that other hobby of yours Matt - Bristol Ro oooops I mean City!thumbsup.gif

Social source share

point taken but i should have pointed out that ive played records to people over the years and the reaction is something like "well, its alright but not for me" and then some time later the record goes big then they want to buy it.That makes no sense to me me whatsoever:unsure:

There's a lot of sheep out there Vince

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert