Heads Up On One Of The Best Ever Crossover Records I've Ever Heard

Guest Brett F

The Soule is another goodie from our recent "Haul Of Fame", as it were. I like it a lot as an alternative to Sandra, but it's only a demo and Sandra's is still significantly better, just as you would expect a finished record to be...

Sorry Spencer didn't overwhelm you, Brett. It's still overwhelming me to the tune of about a dozen or more plays a day...:yes:

Hi Tony, no i thought the Spencer Wiggins excellent, just when Sean played the Wee Willie Walker at Just Soul and especially last Sunday at Essence it really sounded incredible, it's nice to be able to hear new things of such high standard. I guess the thing with the Sandra Wright is that i have both the LP and the Truth 45', and i guess it's just a case of familiarity, but hearing the alternate version this morning just made me sit up, i thought it sounded fresh and certainly had a unique quality all of it's own.

Well done to all involved in bringing these things to light, it cannot be commended enough.

Brett

Social source share

• Replies 103
  • Views 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Brett F

I think in hindsight Brett that when you have heard the George Soule a couple more times, you may take that Statement back.................SANDRA WRIGHT pale.................:no:

BEST

Bully!

P.S. The Spencer Wiggins track Plumby................Rate Up My Street!thumbsup.gif

ANY CHANCE OF POSTING UP THE SPENCER WIGGINS TRACK IN REFROSOUL....

Yeah probably a bit harsh to Sandra Wright Bully, but see my post above as my reasoning to this heinous slight...:laugh::wink:

Social source share

Brilliant news that the Fame vaults are now revealing these hidden gems. Look forward to hearing them all in the coming months.

Keep up the good work chaps.

Agreed Gareth.

Fabulous news all round. Along with the fabulous 'crossover' tunes, that have recently come to light, it's the unreleased and unheard Deep material that's exciting the fool out of me!

All credit to Tony Rounce and the Ace guys for putting in over 15 years of effort to get to this stage!

The next few years are going to be incredibly exciting for Southern Soul fans.

:)

Sean

Social source share

Hi Tony, no i thought the Spencer Wiggins excellent, just when Sean played the Wee Willie Walker at Just Soul and especially last Sunday at Essence it really sounded incredible, it's nice to be able to hear new things of such high standard. I guess the thing with the Sandra Wright is that i have both the LP and the Truth 45', and i guess it's just a case of familiarity, but hearing the alternate version this morning just made me sit up, i thought it sounded fresh and certainly had a unique quality all of it's own.

Well done to all involved in bringing these things to light, it cannot be commended enough.

Brett

Brett

in response to your earlier question about 45 releases of these tunes. I think it's a racing certainty that some of these will appear in the coming months.

Dean

Edited by Dean Rudland
Social source share

Guest Brett F

Brett

in response to your earlier question about 45 releases of these tunes. I think it's a racing certainty that some of these will appear in the coming months.

Dean

That's great news Dean, think the majority of folks will just be glad to hear them in whatever format, but it always great to see a vinyl release.thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Brett

The Willie Walker has got you as excited as it has me Brett.

It's a truly fabulous track, great lyrics, amazing vocal, just beautifully put together.

The Willie Bollinger is also a track to die for and I'm tipping it to do great things.

Both sounded fabulous when I've played them out, on the Big systems.

I can hardly wait for the weekend! biggrin.gif

I guess what's exciting me most is that all the tracks mentioned on this thread are top drawer Real Soul music that have stood the test of time, beyond fad or fashion.

The cream rises to the top and Quality always wins through in the end.

:)

Sean

Social source share

I was a bit worried that these tracks wouldn't quite live up to the hype (few records ever do) but I was impressed when I heard them on the radio this morning.

Let's hope there are more to come.

Social source share

I was a bit worried that these tracks wouldn't quite live up to the hype (few records ever do) but I was impressed when I heard them on the radio this morning.

Let's hope there are more to come.

I'm out of commission today, so just a quickie!

Will post a clip of Spencer Wiggins into refosoul tomorrow, so those who didnae hear can hear it and those that heard it can hear it again!

Cheers

Steve

ps Brett, that Sandra Wright quote will haunt you forever wink.gifwink.gifwink.gif

Social source share

I mi

ght be wandering over to SMERSH with it (and others) on Thursday if you can't wait that long, Neil...

It will be good to see you down there mate, especially as i was supposed to be in Daytona Beach but am stuck here (just hoping that we`re alright to take off on friday now). hearing these newly discovered tracks will at least be some consolation

Mark H

Social source share

Just listened to the show and the Spencer Wiggins track is without doubt Premier League Soul (anyone who likes Roscoe Robinson`s "Don`t pretend" and George Jackson`s "My Desires..." will love this track )

BTW Steve, the Edwin Starr track you played also came out on a 12 on A.S.K Records

Mark H

Social source share

Steve, where did you get this from? Is Ady planning to send this out to crossover DJs as a sample?

Look forward to hearing it mate, i trust your taste beyond doubt!

Chris

Tony who was one of the two people who actually dug the tape out sent a copy to Steve for promotion and thanks for recent support. It's not specifically my shout for that reason though we do discuss the best ways of promotion. I'm sure we will do the best we can to popularise the great tune.

Incidentally due to circumstances at the 100 Club I actually spun it three times in a night, at 11pm 2.30 am and 5.45 am, which I'm pretty sure is the first time I've ever done that. It's a sign of the times that it went down slightly better than the awesome Billy & Clyde stomper though that's gonna be a grower.

Social source share

Tony who was one of the two people who actually dug the tape out sent a copy to Steve for promotion and thanks for recent support. It's not specifically my shout for that reason though we do discuss the best ways of promotion. I'm sure we will do the best we can to popularise the great tune.

Incidentally due to circumstances at the 100 Club I actually spun it three times in a night, at 11pm 2.30 am and 5.45 am, which I'm pretty sure is the first time I've ever done that. It's a sign of the times that it went down slightly better than the awesome Billy & Clyde stomper though that's gonna be a grower.

Top marks Ady for spinning it THREE times - Top man thumbsup.gif

On the PR/Kent side of things, I think it was just luck that got Spencer Wiggins to me on this occasion as I'm sure there's a few folks who were worthy of it before meself BUT it did come to me and therefore I am grateful to Mr Rounce for the opportunity to tell the world how good it is!

After the weekend and all the hype, I STILL stand by everything I said in post #1 and am currently nearing the 50 spins mark at home! I don't often go overboard on something unless it REALLY is special and this REALLY is a special record thumbsup.gif

Cheers

Steve

ps I know someone posted a link above to yesterdays Soul People Solar Radio show (It's about 75 minutes into the 2 hour show) BUT Tony has sanctioned a clip to be posted in refosoul which i will attempt to do this afternoon.

Social source share

ps I know someone posted a link above to yesterdays Soul People Solar Radio show (It's about 75 minutes into the 2 hour show) BUT Tony has sanctioned a clip to be posted in refosoul which i will attempt to do this afternoon.

Struggling to upload to refosoul so here's a 2 minute clip i've bunged on me website

SPENCER WIGGINS - I'M AT THE BREAKING POINT

Please feel free to leave feedback!

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Just listened to the show and the Spencer Wiggins track is without doubt Premier League Soul (anyone who likes Roscoe Robinson`s "Don`t pretend" and George Jackson`s "My Desires..." will love this track )

BTW Steve, the Edwin Starr track you played also came out on a 12 on A.S.K Records

Mark H

I missed the Steves show but thanks to Zane listened to it later on. I'm biased as I have always been a big fan of southern soul but do agree with Steve and all the people on here, top drawer soul. Can't wait for Mr Rounce to come down to Majestic soul on thursday and here it out loud :yes:

Social source share

Struggling to upload to refosoul so here's a 2 minute clip i've bunged on me website

Cheers

Steve

Spencer Wiggins is one of my very favourite Artists , and having just listened to this track ,I can confirm that this is up there with the very best of his many brilliant sides .Many thanks to Ady , Tony and Steve for bringing this premier league side to our attention - just fantastic stuff !! Best,Eddie

Social source share

Cheers

Steve

A bit special ..... thanks for posting, hope it gets a vinyl release as i want one.... just tell me who i have to sleep with.... or maybe i will wait until it comes out on CD and save everyone the embarrassment.

Cheers

Andy

Social source share

Just been listening to it for the past dozen or so times - it's starting to grow on me a bit now!laugh.gif

Actually, it reminds me of a couple of other things, but I can't quite put my finger on them yetno.gif

In the meantime, I 'found' this on a Capitol records related site under a feature about Capitol Records history for the date October 16th 2009:

(https://popculturefanboy.blogspot.com/2009/10/october-16-2009-happy-birthday-40-years.html)

40 Years Ago Today In 1969 - Capitol Records registers the purchased masters of Spencer Wiggins' tracks "I'm At The Breaking Point", "Ooh-Be-Ooh-Be-Doo", "Old Friend", and "Love Machine". The first track is listed as unissued, no issue information is listed for the second and third tracks and the last track was issued by Fame Records, a subsidiary of Capitol Records, as a single (Fame 1463) with "Love Me Tonight" on the flip side.

I also 'found' this on another site (https://www.duaneallman.info/duanedisclovemachine.htm)

In an article about Spencer Wiggins, published in the UK magazine 'In The Basement' (Issue no. 27, August-October 2002) the following unissued Fame masters are mentioned:

'Hit And Run', 'Holding On', 'I'm At The Breaking Point', 'Make Me Your's', 'Ooh Be Ooh Be Doo', 'This Love Is Gonna Be True' and 'This Time'.

40+ years eh, it's been a long time coming!thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Just been listening to it for the past dozen or so times - it's starting to grow on me a bit now!laugh.gif

Actually, it reminds me of a couple of other things, but I can't quite put my finger on them yetno.gif

In the meantime, I 'found' this on a Capitol records related site under a feature about Capitol Records history for the date October 16th 2009:

(https://popculturefan...y-40-years.html)

40 Years Ago Today In 1969 - Capitol Records registers the purchased masters of Spencer Wiggins' tracks "I'm At The Breaking Point", "Ooh-Be-Ooh-Be-Doo", "Old Friend", and "Love Machine". The first track is listed as unissued, no issue information is listed for the second and third tracks and the last track was issued by Fame Records, a subsidiary of Capitol Records, as a single (Fame 1463) with "Love Me Tonight" on the flip side.

I also 'found' this on another site (https://www.duaneallm...lovemachine.htm)

In an article about Spencer Wiggins, published in the UK magazine 'In The Basement' (Issue no. 27, August-October 2002) the following unissued Fame masters are mentioned:

'Hit And Run', 'Holding On', 'I'm At The Breaking Point', 'Make Me Your's', 'Ooh Be Ooh Be Doo', 'This Love Is Gonna Be True' and 'This Time'.

40+ years eh, it's been a long time coming!thumbsup.gif

Wait til you get to 50+ John it will certainly grow on you wink.gif

As it happens, i found the same Capitol info BUT Tony has a different take on it. I'm sure he'll be on tomorrow with the proper story.

I bet the Ace/Kent boys have got some of those unissued tracks mentioned in ITB too! ph34r.gif

Thanks to everyone for the fabulous feedback thumbsup.gif

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

(https://popculturefan...y-40-years.html)

I also 'found' this on another site (https://www.duaneallm...lovemachine.htm)

Hi John,

As Steve says, here I am!

The first bit of information is actually misinformation - the only 'purchased masters' among Spencer's Fame

inventory are the Goldwax sides that Rick Hall bought from Quinton Claunch when he took over Spencer's recording activity (and contract) in 1969. They include "Love Me Tonight", "Cry To Me", "Let's Talk It Over" and a couple of others, but none of the titles mentioned above.

With the exception of 'Old Friend', the titles liseted are all Fame recordings, made for potential issue on Fame (which was, of course, a Capitol subsidiary back then). Spencer did not recut 'Old Friend' for Fame, and his Goldwax recording of the song remained the property of Goldwax after the sale of Spencer's contract and his unissued Goldwax masters.

I don't have the full list of unissued Fame Spencer recordings in front of me right now, but they do indeed include "Ooh Be Doo Be Doo" (much better than the title would have you believe) and his terrific version of "Make Me Yours", and some if not all of the other titles you mention. The overall quality is very high (you'd expect nothing less really!) and they're all finished masters as opposed to demos.

These, the titles that Fame purchased from Goldwax and Spencer's XL and Sounds Of Memphis recordings will all be out on a Dean Rudland-compiled Spencer CD - on Kent, of course - at the end of June. I'm sure that either Dean or I will be able to provide a full track listing very soon!

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

His uptempo version of Love Attack as featured on Goldwax Northern was a Goldwax recorded, Fame purchased master too, as was the unreleased Water- not the Geno song. There are one or two more that one of us will come up with soon. You're right Dante one of the reasons to keep the club going is to be able to play tracks like this.

Ady

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

passed the Bearsy test it gave me goosebumps thumbsup.gif

so right for todays scene imho and can i have a copy when its released on 7" please pretty please biggrin.gif

Social source share

Hi John,

As Steve says, here I am!

The first bit of information is actually misinformation - the only 'purchased masters' among Spencer's Fame

inventory are the Goldwax sides that Rick Hall bought from Quinton Claunch when he took over Spencer's recording activity (and contract) in 1969. They include "Love Me Tonight", "Cry To Me", "Let's Talk It Over" and a couple of others, but none of the titles mentioned above.

With the exception of 'Old Friend', the titles liseted are all Fame recordings, made for potential issue on Fame (which was, of course, a Capitol subsidiary back then). Spencer did not recut 'Old Friend' for Fame, and his Goldwax recording of the song remained the property of Goldwax after the sale of Spencer's contract and his unissued Goldwax masters.

I don't have the full list of unissued Fame Spencer recordings in front of me right now, but they do indeed include "Ooh Be Doo Be Doo" (much better than the title would have you believe) and his terrific version of "Make Me Yours", and some if not all of the other titles you mention. The overall quality is very high (you'd expect nothing less really!) and they're all finished masters as opposed to demos.

These, the titles that Fame purchased from Goldwax and Spencer's XL and Sounds Of Memphis recordings will all be out on a Dean Rudland-compiled Spencer CD - on Kent, of course - at the end of June. I'm sure that either Dean or I will be able to provide a full track listing very soon!

Unfortunately as I am at home I don't have access to the full track listing, but what we have coming out is a 22-24 track compilation of Spencer's recordings stretching from the final Goldwax sessions featuring 'Let's Talk It Over' , 'Love Attack' and three others, through his Fame sessions and on into his Sounds Of Memphis / XL sessions. A lot of this is previously unreleased.

Of the tracks mentioned by John as recorded at Fame, all of those will be on the compilation, although 'This Time' and 'This Love Is Gonna Be True' turned out to be the same song.

As Tony says the version of 'Make Me Yours' is cracking, and in any other week would be one we would all be frothing at the mouth about.

Needless to say,we are all really excited about this, and pretty stoked by the positive response we are getting.

Dean

Social source share

By mistake as it seems now, 'Old Friend' somehow ended up though on a 'Fame studios discography' list (together with all the unissued titles mentioned), which could be downloaded from the Fame web site a couple of years ago.

Agree with the others that Breaking Point is a great track, very much looking forward to the full CD release.

Social source share

Absolutley love the Spencer Wiggins.............right up my street.

One question tho' Steve.....yet another top quality track discovered.......when will it end?biggrin.gif .Already spent most my adult life,(like most on here),listening to great music.Can you make it stop please?laugh.gif .

Kev - from the roller coaster of soul.thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Absolutley love the Spencer Wiggins.............right up my street.

One question tho' Steve.....yet another top quality track discovered.......when will it end?biggrin.gif .Already spent most my adult life,(like most on here),listening to great music.Can you make it stop please?laugh.gif .

Kev - from the roller coaster of soul.thumbsup.gif

That's why we still love it after all these years Kev! Always summat new to hear! Doesn't matter how old a record is, if it's the first time you've heard it, it's still a new record yes.gif

I've gotta say when I was typing up the first post, I seriously thought I'd be in for an absolute verbal bashing for being so presumptuos BUT there's not been one negative comment (so far) which means the song is speaking for itself thumbsup.gif

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

I've gotta say when I was typing up the first post, I seriously thought I'd be in for an absolute verbal bashing for being so presumptuos BUT there's not been one negative comment (so far) which means the song is speaking for itself :thumbsup:

Cheers

Steve

Certainly a track worth going out on a limb for Steve.

Quality, Quality, Quality!

:ohmy:

Sean

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Spencer Wiggins just sheer quality all the way through and still putting out great music

thumbsup.gif

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Just a reminder that nowts changed from post #1 in my mind!

Spencer Wiggins is still a monster in the making!

If you're in Bury on Friday (The Orwell Room) or Leyland on Saturday (The Northern Room AND The Modern Room), he'll be putting in an appearance!

I'm sure he'll also be spun elsewhere this weekend.

Check the clip above and then seek him out at all costs!

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert