Paypal 'gift'

I've noticed a lot of people selling stuff on here and asking the buyer to send Paypal as a 'gift' to save on fees, but it turns out that Paypal won't let you dispute it should anything goes wrong when it is sent as a 'gift', rather than a 'normal' Paypal payment.

Just thought that everyone should be aware of this as you'd have no (or far less) protection if things go wrong with the transaction! Just a thought! :lol:

Taken from PayPal User Agreement: '“Personal Payment” means amounts sent between two individuals (not to or from a business) without a purchase. Personal Payments include, but are not limited to, sending a gift to a friend, or paying a friend back for your share of a lunch bill.'

Edited by Mike Shawe
Social source share

• Replies 21
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Deffo some thing to be aware of, I was stung on some items sent to me from the Far East.

I think those who are trying to make a living or at least trying to bolster their income should be encouraged with incentives rather than trying to take from the little man all the time!

Hats off to those who deal in records, more hassle than its worth some times!

Social source share

Deffo some thing to be aware of, I was stung on some items sent to me from the Far East.

I think those who are trying to make a living or at least trying to bolster their income should be encouraged with incentives rather than trying to take from the little man all the time!

Hats off to those who deal in records, more hassle than its worth some times!

Was aware of this. Mostly feel comfortable buying off people from here, unless they have a low post. Well pointed out though. A gift will only work when you have funds in the account as well I think.

Social source share

Was aware of this. Mostly feel comfortable buying off people from here, unless they have a low post. Well pointed out though. A gift will only work when you have funds in the account as well I think.

Correct. You require a credit balance as opposed to one that's funded from a credit card for example.

Social source share

Correct. You require a credit balance as opposed to one that's funded from a credit card for example.

Not so sure on that Mike, I've bought off here and done paypal as a "gift" and I never have any funds in my account (bit like me normal bank account!!sad.gif ) .... Does it not just stay as "pending" till the transaction clearsunsure.gif

It's a good point you raise! I'd only pay as gift if I was sure of who they were

steve

Social source share

Not so. :wave:

I have sent payment as gift and I've never got any credit balance :lol: , payments taken from my debit card linked to bank account. Also I've never had any problems buying from people on here, amongst others kjw, Pete Smith, Godzilla, Chris Anderton, Pikeys dog, Mark Bicknell, celthomas, etc., thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Not so. :wave:

I have sent payment as gift and I've never got any credit balance :lol: , payments taken from my debit card linked to bank account. Also I've never had any problems buying from people on here, amongst others kjw, Pete Smith, Godzilla, Chris Anderton, Pikeys dog, Mark Bicknell, celthomas, etc., thumbsup.gif

Sorry but it is correct that gift payments are only free of charges when funded from existing balance in your paypal account. Check with your card statement and with the people you've sent money to because one of you will have had to pay the fees.

Social source share

Sorry but it is correct that gift payments are only free of charges when funded from existing balance in your paypal account. Check with your card statement and with the people you've sent money to because one of you will have had to pay the fees.

That is right.

I was asked to send payment as a gift but as I did not have the balance in my paypal account, I was asked who was going to pay the fees - me or the recipient.

Social source share

That is right.

I was asked to send payment as a gift but as I did not have the balance in my paypal account, I was asked who was going to pay the fees - me or the recipient.

it was something i was moaning about a little while ago - but since then i have only been asked to to pay the fees on 1 transaction out of about 20ish - and i never have credit

Social source share

That is right.

strange that Joan, I've deffo done it that way, and wasn't asked? does it only apply over a certain amount?

Also I set up a seperate bank account for Paypal use, and not credit card, wonder if that makes a difference, coz i defo never got asked bout who pays the fees.

mind knowing me it mebs did and I said the other bloke, and that's why he won't sell me anymore bleedin records! laugh.gif

steve

Social source share

it was something i was moaning about a little while ago - but since then i have only been asked to to pay the fees on 1 transaction out of about 20ish - and i never have credit

Paypal always let you pay as a gift regardless of funds, but next time look closely at the transaction and you might find that you have payed the fee yourself without even knowing??

Might even be worthwhile going thru your account history to check ??

It always happens to me if i don't have funds in my account ,and i have a bank account and credit card registered with paypalyes.gif

Social source share

I am sure I just received an email from Paypal last week with a change to Paypal User Agreement which when I looked at it they where attempting to discurage this type of payment being used to purchase goods ? They must have had a spy reading on here and seeing the requests for payments via gift and decided they are losing too much money by it and clamping down . Not sure how they will police though !

Steve h

I've noticed a lot of people selling stuff on here and asking the buyer to send Paypal as a 'gift' to save on fees, but it turns out that Paypal won't let you dispute it should anything goes wrong when it is sent as a 'gift', rather than a 'normal' Paypal payment.

Just thought that everyone should be aware of this as you'd have no (or far less) protection if things go wrong with the transaction! Just a thought! hatsoff2.gif

Taken from PayPal User Agreement: '"Personal Payment" means amounts sent between two individuals (not to or from a business) without a purchase. Personal Payments include, but are not limited to, sending a gift to a friend, or paying a friend back for your share of a lunch bill.'

Social source share

strange that Joan, I've deffo done it that way, and wasn't asked? does it only apply over a certain amount?

Also I set up a seperate bank account for Paypal use, and not credit card, wonder if that makes a difference, coz i defo never got asked bout who pays the fees.

mind knowing me it mebs did and I said the other bloke, and that's why he won't sell me anymore bleedin records! laugh.gif

steve

I can't remember the amount now as I was making the payment for someone else but the fees were only £4 or so.

My paypal account is linked to my bank account too and not my credit card.

Social source share

When I've made payment, it states/asks if I'm paying the fees. I make the payment plus I cover the fees, the payment is still sent as a gift and as far as I'm aware no seller has paid fees on those transactions. If they have they've never came back to me to query it :lol: .

Social source share

When I've made payment, it states/asks if I'm paying the fees. I make the payment plus I cover the fees, the payment is still sent as a gift and as far as I'm aware no seller has paid fees on those transactions. If they have they've never came back to me to query it hatsoff2.gif .

Just a thought here.....if seller asks for gift payment and you end up paying the fee ,you'd be better paying the proper way and adding the fee to your payment.

That way you'd be covered if you were'nt happy with your purchase.

P.S

I ask for fee if its a large sum cos it's about 4% , and i'll happily accept gift paments yes.gif

but i'd gladly take the loss if it means i get a sale and customer prefers to use paypal ,especially if it means i don't have to go to the bank with a cheque.

Not wishing to stir up trouble ,and yes paypal fees may seem a tad high ,but do we really expect them to run as a charity ?

I have people who say " i don't use paypal cos they're too greedy ,i 'll send cash "....and then pay a fiver to send it special deliveryohmy.gif

Or ...."i'll send a cheque" .....time and fuel spent going to the bank ,not to mention the inconvenience..far outweighs a paypal fee on a £100 recordyes.gif

Roll on the day when cheques are totally done away withsmile.gif

Social source share

Spot on Nev, it was only a matter of time before paypal closed (or attempt to close) the loophole - the recent change in the policy details is one step closer.

I swallow the fee on virtually all my transactions, and would never ask to be paid as a gift. With the new policy change anyone continually paying by personal / gift payment, or receiving most payments this way, will stand out like a sore thumb and risk their paypal account being suspended or closed. And you know they will, they can be right unhelpful bastards when they want to be.......ala Trouble's recent run in with them......

Girf

Just a thought here.....if seller asks for gift payment and you end up paying the fee ,you'd be better paying the proper way and adding the fee to your payment.

That way you'd be covered if you were'nt happy with your purchase.

P.S

I ask for fee if its a large sum cos it's about 4% , and i'll happily accept gift paments yes.gif

but i'd gladly take the loss if it means i get a sale and customer prefers to use paypal ,especially if it means i don't have to go to the bank with a cheque.

Not wishing to stir up trouble ,and yes paypal fees may seem a tad high ,but do we really expect them to run as a charity ?

I have people who say " i don't use paypal cos they're too greedy ,i 'll send cash "....and then pay a fiver to send it special deliveryohmy.gif

Or ...."i'll send a cheque" .....time and fuel spent going to the bank ,not to mention the inconvenience..far outweighs a paypal fee on a £100 recordyes.gif

Social source share

I don't agree. Cheques are fantastic, I can get to a bank no problem, and it's free. If you were selling big ticket 45's you wouldn't want to pay the paypal fees, which now equate to more like 5%

I recieved a spate of "as a gift" payments recently, and I did get a warning from paypal......I applaude their safety system that protects buyers, and I would never risk sending "as a gift" payments for ebay sellers. But most of the payments that I was recieving were from people I know, or have dealt with before, so not a problem I think.

Social source share

I don't agree. Cheques are fantastic, I can get to a bank no problem, and it's free. If you were selling big ticket 45's you wouldn't want to pay the paypal fees, which now equate to more like 5%

I recieved a spate of "as a gift" payments recently, and I did get a warning from paypal......I applaude their safety system that protects buyers, and I would never risk sending "as a gift" payments for ebay sellers. But most of the payments that I was recieving were from people I know, or have dealt with before, so not a problem I think.

Move with the times Phil......bank transfers offer a better and easier transaction than Cheques

p.s

some of us are too busy at work to be making trips to bankthumbsup.gif

Social source share

Move with the times Phil......bank transfers offer a better and easier transaction than Cheques

p.s

some of us are too busy at work to be making trips to bankthumbsup.gif

I enquired about bank transfers at my bank, and they looked at me as though I had just killed an infant. Then said I would incur ridiculous charges unless I had a business account.

Social source share

I enquired about bank transfers at my bank, and they looked at me as though I had just killed an infant. Then said I would incur ridiculous charges unless I had a business account.

Amazing response from them! :hatsoff2:

Sending money between banks within the EU via the IBAN/BIC system is free of charge (or for a minor fee in the region of £1 or less).

Social source share

Amazing response from them! ohmy.gif

Sending money between banks within the EU via the IBAN/BIC system is free of charge (or for a minor fee in the region of £1 or less).

Bank transfer in Euro currencies within the EUR-zone are free (from Germany). Bank transfers in Euro currencies outside EURO-zone but within the EU cost 25 cent (again, from Germany). Bank transfers in other currencies (e.g. GBP) within EU cost a shi*t load of fees.

Thing is, it seems that UK based banks sometimes "forget" that Euro transfers are almost free of charge and deduct some hefty fees. Unless recipient slaps his bank managers fingers and demands pay back of the fees they get away with it.

Social source share

Bank transfer in Euro currencies within the EUR-zone are free (from Germany). Bank transfers in Euro currencies outside EURO-zone but within the EU cost 25 cent (again, from Germany). Bank transfers in other currencies (e.g. GBP) within EU cost a shi*t load of fees.

Thing is, it seems that UK based banks sometimes "forget" that Euro transfers are almost free of charge and deduct some hefty fees. Unless recipient slaps his bank managers fingers and demands pay back of the fees they get away with it.

I was only wanting to send UK pounds to a bank in the UK. They don't call it rip off Britain for nothing you know. :yes::sad:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert