Paulb

• Replies 27
  • Views 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest wrighty

I take it this is going to be rare as hell, mega expensive and I shouldn't even bother asking if anyone has one for sale?

Paul

its pretty tough, one of the harder ones on dash, you're looking at around £4-500.

you might want to contact james trouble, pretty sure he had one on his sales list thumbsup.gif

Edited by wrighty
Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Excellent record!

An OG on Dash here: https://www.discogs.c...d=1030729&ev=rb

A dreadful, messy, racket of a record that i was only too happy to get rid of [it was in my mums garage in the pile of shite]once i found out it was indemand !

I just wish i had kept it a little longer because its now doubled in price ohmy.gif Doh !

Another case of the Emporers New Clothes.....Imagine how many Tyrone Davis records you could buy for the price of this stinkersmile.gif

Social source share

A dreadful, messy, racket of a record that i was only too happy to get rid of [it was in my mums garage in the pile of shite]once i found out it was indemand !

I just wish i had kept it a little longer because its now doubled in price ohmy.gif Doh !

Another case of the Emporers New Clothes.....Imagine how many Tyrone Davis records you could buy for the price of this stinkersmile.gif

No way is it worth £400 - sold a copy last year for £275 - that 's the going rate...

Edited by glynthornhill
Social source share

No way is it worth £400 - sold a copy last year for £275 - that 's the going rate...

Most of the copies that have sold on eBay over the past couple of years have gone for much more than £275:

2009-03-23 - $877

2008-11-08 - $620

2008-10-21 - $940

2008-08-17 - £180

2008-01-24 - $731

2008-01-15 - $801

2007-12-06 - $810

2006-10-10 - $625

Social source share

Most of the copies that have sold on eBay over the past couple of years have gone for much more than £275:

2009-03-23 - $877

2008-11-08 - $620

2008-10-21 - $940

2008-08-17 - £180

2008-01-24 - $731

2008-01-15 - $801

2007-12-06 - $810

2006-10-10 - $625

Yeh they are the ones Popsike lists which doesnt reflect the real sales quantities only showing us based sales frequently :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest wrighty

thankfully seb is at hand with the scores on the doors....just proves that what records 'should' go for and do go for are more often than not never the same...depends on whether you like it or hate it, are buying it, selling it etc...stating the bleedin obvious i guess rolleyes.gif

Social source share

Hi Ivor,

I've dug my copy out, not a bad little Miami funky thing. Thing to remember with those Miami things is that they had a very simple hypnotic rhythm. As such they ain't shabby and do have a certain charm.

Anyway you should have got the entire Tyrone Davies repetoire long ago. :thumbsup:

Price on this seems to have gone a little haywire though - must be a 'big name' playing it or something.

Steve

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Hi Ivor,

I've dug my copy out, not a bad little Miami funky thing. Thing to remember with those Miami things is that they had a very simple hypnotic rhythm. As such they ain't shabby and do have a certain charm.

Anyway you should have got the entire Tyrone Davies repetoire long ago. yes.gif

Price on this seems to have gone a little haywire though - must be a 'big name' playing it or something.

Steve

I beg to differ Steve. I think its shite and the only reason it even gets acknowledged or mentioned is because its hard to find and played by certain DJs that tend to have a sheep-like following...If it was around everywhere you wouldnt be able to give them away. I just wish i`d had a box of themsmile.gif My point about Tyrone Davis was that i`ll wager most of the people who bust a gut buying crap like this for hundreds of pounds probably dont have the essential Tyrone Davis tunes which would cost a fraction of the price and are worth a million times more musicallywink.gif ........See you soon Steve

Social source share

I beg to differ Steve. I think its shite and the only reason it even gets acknowledged or mentioned is because its hard to find and played by certain DJs that tend to have a sheep-like following...If it was around everywhere you wouldnt be able to give them away. I just wish i`d had a box of themsmile.gif My point about Tyrone Davis was that i`ll wager most of the people who bust a gut buying crap like this for hundreds of pounds probably dont have the essential Tyrone Davis tunes which would cost a fraction of the price and are worth a million times more musicallywink.gif ........See you soon Steve

Hi Ivor, I wouldn't class Phillip Wright as rare - there must be loads of them about. In demand yes and I have some sympathy for the "sheep DJ" point. Time was (when I got it) you couldn't give them away. And as someone who has all of Tyrone's released stuff :D he made a lot of very good records. The point though I think is that musical tastes of the people that go out to clubs change, and a lot of people are certainly going for those funkier type sounds these days. The worst one for me is that Angela Davis where she just shouts over a loop beat ("My love is so strong"). Compared to that Phillip sounds really strong. :yes: I have always had a soft spot for those Reid / Clarke etc Miami things - simple and not technically the best - but they usually do the job. I also like the Dash label - some great stuff on there like Jeanette Holloway, Helene Smith, Ann Sexton, Leno Phillips etc.

Steve

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Hi Ivor, I wouldn't class Phillip Wright as rare - there must be loads of them about. In demand yes and I have some sympathy for the "sheep DJ" point. Time was (when I got it) you couldn't give them away. And as someone who has all of Tyrone's released stuff :yes: he made a lot of very good records. The point though I think is that musical tastes of the people that go out to clubs change, and a lot of people are certainly going for those funkier type sounds these days. The worst one for me is that Angela Davis where she just shouts over a loop beat ("My love is so strong"). Compared to that Phillip sounds really strong. :yes: I have always had a soft soft for those Reid / Clarke etc Miami things - simple and not technically the best - but they usually do the job. I also like the Dash label - some great stuff on there like Jeanette Holloway, Helene Smith, Ann Sexton, Leno Phillips etc.

Steve

:D

Social source share

Guest wrighty

Its shite, and only jumped in price due to the clammer of big names after a copy. Had over five copies in last ten years ranging in price from £1 to $25 dollars as stated sold my last copy for £275 madness its a easy collected label from Florida end of .

well glyn if its that easy and that shit i will pay £275 each for a few copies like seb, end of thumbsup.gif

Social source share

The worst one for me is that Angela Davis where she just shouts over a loop beat ("My love is so strong").

Shouting over loops might just catch on, have you heard about that "Rap" music the kids like these days? :hatsoff2:

"Shouts over a loop beat" also covers the Wally Coco tune currently getting played; it certainly can be surprising what "funk" records get picked up on, whereas Phillip Wright on the other hand, though I'm not the world's biggest fan, has a "proper" song & arrangement, catchy hooks, distinctive & atmospheric intro etc and seems much more appropriate somehow. Not that I'm complaining about all this, if people can get away with the likes of "Message To Society" as a legitimate spin then it's surely wide open for some of the (way, way better) funk records that are jostling in the wings.

Social source share

Guest wrighty

Shouting over loops might just catch on, have you heard about that "Rap" music the kids like these days? ph34r.gif

"Shouts over a loop beat" also covers the Wally Coco tune currently getting played; it certainly can be surprising what "funk" records get picked up on, whereas Phillip Wright on the other hand, though I'm not the world's biggest fan, has a "proper" song & arrangement, catchy hooks, distinctive & atmospheric intro etc and seems much more appropriate somehow. Not that I'm complaining about all this, if people can get away with the likes of "Message To Society" as a legitimate spin then it's surely wide open for some of the (way, way better) funk records that are jostling in the wings.

ah the old 'angela davis/far better records out there' drum banging george, remember the classic 8 pager on the funk forum a couple of years back? smile.gif

Social source share

Shouting over loops might just catch on, have you heard about that "Rap" music the kids like these days? :lol:

You are right I'll probably be selling my Wally Coco. :thumbsup:

Social source share

You are right I'll probably be selling my Wally Coco. :rolleyes:

Don't let me talk you out of it Steve! I wasn't saying it was shit or anything, just there are better tunes out there... it certainly thumps on a sound system.

Edited by George M
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert