Diane Lewis - You Aint Got A Chance (Cover Up)

Mal C

Diane Lewis - You Aint got a Chance (Cover Up), I was told recently by a dealer in the know that this was the Ad-Libs? I know people get shirty with cover ups and all that but surely this has been identified by now.....

also mickey and jody from Brum had a dub in the mid 9ts which I know they sold to Pete Smith, anybody know where that it these days?

Mal.C.thumbsup.gif

Social source share

• Replies 18
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Diane Lewis - You Aint got a Chance (Cover Up), I was told recently by a dealer in the know that this was the Ad-Libs? I know people get shirty with cover ups and all that but surely this has been identified by now.....

also mickey and jody from Brum had a dub in the mid 9ts which I know they sold to Pete Smith, anybody know where that it these days?

Mal.C.thumbsup.gif

I can't remember who I sold that to, it was a great recording, I know I did about half a dozen acetates off it, wish I'd kept one. Think this is the best of all Butch's old cover ups.

Social source share

I can't remember who I sold that to, it was a great recording, I know I did about half a dozen acetates off it, wish I'd kept one. Think this is the best of all Butch's old cover ups.

If my memory serves me right it's an unissued acetate that might of came via tim brown or soul bowl. I could be wrong but i do remember Keb darge telling me the full story in a pub in camden back in the early 9ts.

I got a perfect dub which i like to play in the comfort of my living room now and then for memories sake....tune!!!!

thumbsup.gif

Greg

Edited by liam2005
Social source share

Always thought this was an unknown artist,so still "covered" .Former Rob Marriot spin now with Sam? or is it Butch?

it is and always has been a Butch spin. If I remember rightly Rob did some dubs from a tape. Anyone other than Butch is spinning a dub/cut/ carver/boot or whatever else you want to call it.

Social source share

it is and always has been a Butch spin. If I remember rightly Rob did some dubs from a tape. Anyone other than Butch is spinning a dub/cut/ carver/boot or whatever else you want to call it.

thumbsup.gif .Must have me wires crossed again.Thought this went in Rob's sell - up.Butch it is then!!!.

Social source share

Thats where the one I bought came from originally - Rob Marriot tape

Social source share

thumbsup.gif .Must have me wires crossed again.Thought this went in Rob's sell - up.Butch it is then!!!.

remember listening last year to an old tape i had of butch djing at droylsden all-niter late 80's - he played it back then. pretty sure the temptones c/up was on that tape too.

Social source share

remember listening last year to an old tape i had of butch djing at droylsden all-niter late 80's - he played it back then. pretty sure the temptones c/up was on that tape too.

he was spinning it 86/87, there is a review in Shades Of Soul, could have been George Sharp who reviewed it :no:

Social source share

he was spinning it 86/87, there is a review in Shades Of Soul, could have been George Sharp who reviewed it :no:

not the adlibs, thought it was uncredited tape/acetate as said already.

I taped Butch playing in Lincoln in 1987

I thought it's widely acknowleged that nobody actually knows who it is as the acetate isn't credited

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

it is and always has been a Butch spin. If I remember rightly Rob did some dubs from a tape.

I have a type written tape listing (but no tape now), I presume from a mid eighties tape swap. On it it has 3 of Butch's then C/U's

De larks - You & I - C/U (Mollo Souls)

Magictones - A Lovers plea - C/U (Devotions)

Diane Lewis - You aint gotta chance - C/U (F. knows)

I remember they all seemed to play a tad to fast, like the acetates of them circulating at the time.

Then there're two unknown tracks

? - What good is crying

? - I love her so

Anyone hazard a guess as to what there are? ('What good is crying' I think may have been a female vocal)

Social source share

If my memory serves me right it's an unissued acetate that might of came via tim brown or soul bowl. I could be wrong but i do remember Keb darge telling me the full story in a pub in camden back in the early 9ts.

I got a perfect dub which i like to play in the comfort of my living room now and then for memories sake....tune!!!!

thumbsup.gif

Greg

Would like to hear that story Greg! :yes:

Love this tune, always wondered who it was myself. One of those records that i always danced to at the 100 club.

How good is the quality of your dub and are you interested in selling it?

Social source share

I have a type written tape listing (but no tape now), I presume from a mid eighties tape swap. On it it has 3 of Butch's then C/U's

De larks - You & I - C/U (Mollo Souls)

Magictones - A Lovers plea - C/U (Devotions)

Diane Lewis - You aint gotta chance - C/U (F. knows)

I remember they all seemed to play a tad to fast, like the acetates of them circulating at the time.

Then there're two unknown tracks

? - What good is crying

? - I love her so

Anyone hazard a guess as to what there are? ('What good is crying' I think may have been a female vocal)

The "What good is crying" track is the Chantells and the Aqua Lads - I'll Never Know" on Aqua.

Mark

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert