Eddie Parker's "i'm Gone"

Eddie Parker's "I'm Gone"

The Hesitations - That's what Love is

Richard Searling, spun Eddie Parker's "I'm Gone" at Wigan and we seam to have a dust off with this track and have done for some time on the nighter scene, the record features a mega lyric "Its all over like a three leaf clover", simply marvelous!

The Hesitations - That's what Love is features "I'm Gone's" music without the thump! How does this happen, the same music, is it from the same record company?

I know there are loads of examples of this sort of thing but I would like to know about these two?

Could some one add the files??

Social source share

• Replies 37
  • Views 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Two Versions of my all time fave Northern Soul track Imberboy.The Eddie Parker shades it for me but the Hesitations is a real builder that leaves you in raptures at the fade out.Only ever owned Eddie on the 70s boot but got the Soul Superman L.P and the Hesitations also appeared on a legit(i think) SOUL SERIES 45 which came out in the 90s.

As for the connection would love to know myself good question mate

Social source share

Writen by J. Ashford & E. Lewis.

AWAKE was Jack Ashford's record label

Writen by J. Ashford & E. Lewis.

A Pied Piper production, which was Jack Asford's production company

I know there are loads of examples of this sort of thing but I would like to know about these two?

Social source share

Richard Searling, spun Eddie Parker's "I'm Gone" at Wigan and we seam to have a dust off with this track and have done for some time on the nighter scene, the record features a mega lyric "Its all over like a three leaf clover", simply marvelous!

The Hesitations - That's what Love is features "I'm Gone's" music without the thump! How does this happen, the same music, is it from the same record company?

AS FAR AS I'M AWARE, THERE'S NO CONNECTION BETWEEN THE TWO, JUST PROBABLY A SIMPLE CASE OF DIFFERENT WORDS BEING PUT TO A TUNE. AS YOU SAY, LOADS OF EXAMPLES OF THIS.

IMO THOUGH, THE EDDIE PARKER FAR OUTWEIGHS THE HESITATIONS.

JUST MORE POWER AND SOUL TO IT..............SIMPLES. :thumbsup:

Could some one add the files??

Social source share

AS FAR AS I'M AWARE, THERE'S NO CONNECTION BETWEEN THE TWO, JUST PROBABLY A SIMPLE CASE OF DIFFERENT WORDS BEING PUT TO A TUNE. AS YOU SAY, LOADS OF EXAMPLES OF THIS.

IMO THOUGH, THE EDDIE PARKER FAR OUTWEIGHS THE HESITATIONS.

JUST MORE POWER AND SOUL TO IT..............SIMPLES. :thumbsup:

Social source share

I'm hoping this ain't a wind up and it's a serious question....otherwise I may look a chump here but...

The songs are most certainly connected!

The names of Jack Ashford, Mike Terry, Lorraine Chandler, Herbie Williams, Joe Hunter etc are all over the music. It is of course the Peid Piper production Team of Detroit.

They produced The Hesitations album before the group were later assigned to GWP Productions.

All written about in There's That Beat! (Can't remember which issue).

Social source share

Guest posstot

Hey Simon. The connection being, as pointed out. Is the writers and production teams on most of these ,'same backing different lyrics' type songs. Or simply because an artist, writer, producer liked the track and wanted to put there slant on it.

I suppose it could even start out as a jamming session whereby some of the musicians played on the original versions..and ended up simply titting about in the studio with a different artist and there and then decided to lay down a different vocal, just for the hell of it because they could.

You could even presume that someone on the west coast had success with a track....so someone on the east coast thought we could use that, but lets put a different lyric on it, as it fits with our last release.

Or even, a different production team trying to outdo there rivals with there version...."how do you like them onions then" type competition......

Either way, it is great to hear them from our point of view. Oh to have been there would be something else!!

Mikesad.gifbiggrin.gif

Social source share

Hey Simon. The connection being, as pointed out. Is the writers and production teams on most of these ,'same backing different lyrics' type songs. Or simply because an artist, writer, producer liked the track and wanted to put there slant on it.

I suppose it could even start out as a jamming session whereby some of the musicians played on the original versions..and ended up simply titting about in the studio with a different artist and there and then decided to lay down a different vocal, just for the hell of it because they could.

You could even presume that someone on the west coast had success with a track....so someone on the east coast thought we could use that, but lets put a different lyric on it, as it fits with our last release.

Or even, a different production team trying to outdo there rivals with there version...."how do you like them onions then" type competition......

Either way, it is great to hear them from our point of view. Oh to have been there would be something else!!

Mikesad.gifbiggrin.gif

Which brings us the the one version not mentioned yet: Billy Sha Rae's version on Spectrum. Another great slant on what is an absolute gem of a backing track coupled with some pretty remarkable lyrics too (in both songs).

Social source share

Which brings us the the one version not mentioned yet: Billy Sha Rae's version on Spectrum. Another great slant on what is an absolute gem of a backing track coupled with some pretty remarkable lyrics too (in both songs).

Not mentioned because it's rubbish. Thread about that version elsewhere after some lunatic paid £70 for it.

Social source share

Guest stash313
On 4/8/2010 at 16:47, Pete S said:

Not mentioned because it's rubbish. Thread about that version elsewhere after some lunatic paid £70 for it.

I think its an aquired taste! So to speak...

As if by magic I have both the Soul Series 45 and the Soul Superman album up for sale at the minute. :-)

I actually prefer the Hesitations to Eddie Parker's version, un-sure why but The Hesitations has just always done it for me. But they're both two examples of some extremely fine up-tempo Soul music.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell
On 4/10/2010 at 13:53, Livesey said:

I think its an aquired taste! So to speak...

As if by magic I have both the Soul Series 45 and the Soul Superman album up for sale at the minute. :-)

I actually prefer the Hesitations to Eddie Parker's version, un-sure why but The Hesitations has just always done it for me. But they're both two examples of some extremely fine up-tempo Soul music.

LIKE OR DISLIKE THESE TUNES.............UPTEMPO THEY AIN,T........no.gif

Social source share

• 1 year later...

I first only knew the Eddie Parker one but I much prefer Billy Sha Rae which is much clearer in sound and with a more punch to it!!! The Hesitations is great too!!! But I guess for some, brownie points weight a little heavy on their musical synapses :D

Billy Sha Rae more punch than Eddie Parker? On what planet?

Social source share

Guest wangwanjo

About the hesitations thats where love is does anybody know when did the hesitations first get played on the sceene and who started playing it ,its a brilliant record ,can you only get it on the soul superman lp or did somebody boot leg it ?

Social source share

He did it pretty good live version on my 21st too!

You know ,ive heard how The Stafford Show was The Dogs Carry on but sadly I never got there,Iwas too busy getting over the night before,.I was at the Dalia Club in Darlington Alot smaller venue than the Stafford gig but how intamat that show was,I personaly will never forget an encounter with two of the greatest Detroit Legends came to my home town and blew me away.

Social source share

while were at it, not sure of the credits on it, but there must be a connection between 'Im gone' and Derek Martin's unreleased 'flashback'? they sound so similar, imho. Billy Shae Rae aint as good but it isnt that bad a version either.

Edited by geeselad
Social source share

I have to agree there, its like comparing cat piss to a pint of Guiness!! :thumbsup: I also don't think the hesitations version is anywhere near as good as Eddie`s :no: I also heard at that time that Billy Sharae was Eddie Parkers brother but ive never heard that said since and I never gave it any thought since.

Although I bought it in 73 from a barrow boy on Gt Windmill st (Ady? :g: ) I had never heard the Hesitations version or Eddie Parkers, which has no equal on the scene, simply the best NS record of them all!!

Social source share

I have to agree there, its like comparing cat piss to a pint of Guiness!! :thumbsup: I also don't think the hesitations version is anywhere near as good as Eddie`s :no: I also heard at that time that Billy Sharae was Eddie Parkers brother but ive never heard that said since and I never gave it any thought since.

Although I bought it in 73 from a barrow boy on Gt Windmill st (Ady? :g: ) I had never heard the Hesitations version or Eddie Parkers, which has no equal on the scene, simply the best NS record of them all!!

I think the question of the relationship between Billy Sharae and Eddie Parker was brought uo in Lorraine Chandlers thread Steve,cant find it now like.

Social source share

I'm glad you all like(d) I'm Gone. Eddie Parker did a wonderful job recording it. Eddie was electric and pulsating, just like what you heard.

Just as clarification, Eddie and Billy Sha-Rae are not blood bothers. Just brothers in the Pied Piper family.

Lorraine

Edited by lorchand
Social source share

You know ,ive heard how The Stafford Show was The Dogs Carry on but sadly I never got there,Iwas too busy getting over the night before,.I was at the Dalia Club in Darlington Alot smaller venue than the Stafford gig but how intamat that show was,I personaly will never forget an encounter with two of the greatest Detroit Legends came to my home town and blew me away.

It was a wonderful night and a good show too! Eddie and I will never forget it or the crowd. They were wonderful.

Lorraine

Social source share

Thanks Pete -BRILLIANT post and trust you to remember that one ! :lol::rofl::thumbup::wave:

Rob :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert