Worst Northern Soul Lyric

Guest dicklincoln72

The Magnificent 7 record is shameful. Not only are the lyrics inane but the lead vocal is laughable. Quite possibly the worst Ersatz Soul voice I can think of.

I have to admit I really like the version of "Ooh Baby Baby" on the other side though.

Going back to the original post I wonder what the reaction to the Bobby Jason 45 would be these days if it were a new discovery? Tar and feathers would be called for surely.

I know people will respond with the old 'but it's a dancer' line, but come on, it's just a piece of crud.

I don't really have a problem with pop being played in the name of Northern Soul: some of them, like Sue Lynn, Dana Valery and Joannie Somers are pop masterpieces, but the Bobby Jason record fails on practically every level on which a piece of music can be judged. Unless you're a masochist.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

• Replies 85
  • Views 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Most of the lyrics in House For Sale.....................the worst bit being.....................It's got a spacious living room for the bride & groom cheese1.gif ................... yuk yuk yuk!

gotta agree debbie hate this , crap, lyrics awfull mournfull dirgeph34r.gif

its time she moved on , its been on the market for yonks nobody wants to buy it

should be demolished imhoglare.gif

also worrabart this:.

am gunna take her to the woodshed

and lay a couple of planks on youcheese1.gif

wots this abart then

cheers bhatsoff2.gif

Social source share

By a country mile, The Magnificent 6 'Neither Will I' on Dial. I quote:

"So close

No breeze could blow between us

So tight

You couldn't part us with a Tommy Gun

Standing in the need of each other

Like a flower

Standing in the need of the sun"

WTF were they thinking? The verse as a whole is well done and suitably delicate for an otherwise nice and gentle harmony ballad, but 'kinell, that line...blink.gif

WTF were they smokin' huh.gif and can I have some :lol:
Social source share

Guest Phoenix8049

I can see a "Wash and Wear Love" V "You Can't Mean it" poll?whistling.gif

NEVER.

wash and wear love is a pile of S##t#.

Chapter five is a classic. i know its a bit of a pop record but still a classic.

Stu

Social source share

NEVER.

wash and wear love is a pile of S##t#.

Chapter five is a classic. i know its a bit of a pop record but still a classic.

Stu

Like you said Chapter Five it is a pop record, (this is SOUL-SOURCE) I rest my case.g.gif

Edited by davetay
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

NOT A RECORD I WOULD CLASS AS A SOUL RECORD BY ANY STRETCH OF THE IMAGINATION,BUT I GUESS SOME OF YOU GOOD FOLK ON THIS SITE DO.........FOOTSEEE YEH!!!!

OH AND BOBBY JASON DOES NOT COUNT EITHER AS IT,S COUNTRY AND WESTERN SHITE:yes::laugh::laugh:

Social source share

Guest Phoenix8049

NOT A RECORD I WOULD CLASS AS A SOUL RECORD BY ANY STRETCH OF THE IMAGINATION,BUT I GUESS SOME OF YOU GOOD FOLK ON THIS SITE DO.........FOOTSEEE YEH!!!!

OH AND BOBBY JASON DOES NOT COUNT EITHER AS IT,S COUNTRY AND WESTERN SHITEyes.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Where do you draw the line on the northern soul scene of what is pop and what is soul.

There has been some monsters by pop singers, who at the time we knew very little or nothing about.

A couple of examples.

1) Judy Street - What (White 60s pop Singer and a cover version too)

2) Viviam Carroll - Oh Yeah Yeah Yeah (White 60s pop Singer)

3) Joey Heatherton - When You Call Me Baby (60s American Actress)

4) Seeds - Pushing to Hard (60s American Garage Band)

5) Newbeats - Run Baby Run + about 4 others of theirs that were played (American 60s Pop Band)

6 ) Dana Valery - You Dont Know Where Your Interest Lies (Australian Beauty Queen) also a cover version as the original was written and recorded by Simon & Garfunkel.

7) Lynne Randell - Stranger In My Arms (Australian 60s Pop Singer)

8) Lada Edmund - The Larue (American 60s TV Go-Go Dancer)

These are just a few and the List is Endless, I Dare anybody on here that has not liked or danced at one time to one of these.

The vast Majority of Motown Records were pop Records.

That is why i call this scene The Northern Scene not Northern Soul Scene.

I Think at some point you could mention Every Genre of music that had an artist who had a popular Northern Soul Hit.

Does it really matter that much.

Stu

Social source share

As mentioned in previous thread about Troy Seals, the following from 'The wedding of society's child' on Calla

"The wedding is set for tomorrow, we'll both be dressed in black. In place of a bridesmaid I'll bring my Siamese cat. Sprinkling rice will flow from the hand of your child. 20 angry citizens will be forced to wear a smile"............drugs?????:rolleyes:

gary

Social source share

Where do you draw the line on the northern soul scene of what is pop and what is soul.

There has been some monsters by pop singers, who at the time we knew very little or nothing about.

A couple of examples.

1) Judy Street - What (White 60s pop Singer and a cover version too)

2) Viviam Carroll - Oh Yeah Yeah Yeah (White 60s pop Singer)

3) Joey Heatherton - When You Call Me Baby (60s American Actress)

4) Seeds - Pushing to Hard (60s American Garage Band)

5) Newbeats - Run Baby Run + about 4 others of theirs that were played (American 60s Pop Band)

6 ) Dana Valery - You Dont Know Where Your Interest Lies (Australian Beauty Queen) also a cover version as the original was written and recorded by Simon & Garfunkel.

7) Lynne Randell - Stranger In My Arms (Australian 60s Pop Singer)

8) Lada Edmund - The Larue (American 60s TV Go-Go Dancer)

These are just a few and the List is Endless, I Dare anybody on here that has not liked or danced at one time to one of these.

The vast Majority of Motown Records were pop Records.

That is why i call this scene The Northern Scene not Northern Soul Scene.

I Think at some point you could mention Every Genre of music that had an artist who had a popular Northern Soul Hit.

Does it really matter that much.

Stu

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

as much as i love Sugar dumpling i don't get the lyric in the song

if i call her about 2.00 in the morning and said come on over if you can, before i hang up the telephone she's sitting beside me with a cup of coffee in her hand.

Unless she was standing in the next room pretty quick to get over like lightning

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

"I used to be happy

So Ginger & Snappy"

For Crying Out Loud... ohmy.gif

Mark - pure genius and I was going to nominate this one....rolling on the floor laughing.....Mr Sigler, what were you thinking of? "Ginger & Snappy" always reduces me to tears of mirth - thumbsup.gif Jackie Wilson's Who Who Song - 'softer than Grandmother's lovely thighs'.....now that is just TOO suspect but I wouldn't put it past Jackie to 'bend' a lyric wink.gif

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

As mentioned in previous thread about Troy Seals, the following from 'The wedding of society's child' on Calla

"The wedding is set for tomorrow, we'll both be dressed in black. In place of a bridesmaid I'll bring my Siamese cat. Sprinkling rice will flow from the hand of your child. 20 angry citizens will be forced to wear a smile"............drugs?????huh.gif

gary

Gary - that's on a par with 'HR Puffnstuff'....drugs - probably a whole chemist's cabinet with lyrics like that - priceless xx

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Parliaments "Hearts Trouble"

"i called a plumber to come right over to see if he could fix this leak,

He said my son its not your pipes it tears drops from your eyes"

WTF!!

Daz - you've made my weekend :D I sometimes think I'm losing my faculties when I hear lyrics like this at nighters....I'm not imagining things after all - now then Harvey, let's go and find those Easter Eggs :D x

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Oh I liiiiike the liver quiver line rolleyes.gif isn't that also in the Dynamics " You make me feel so good "

Ok another great record the Marvellos "something's Burning contains a line that goes like this

Smokey the bear will pull out all of his hair? ..... what is that all about ? laugh.gif

'Liver Quiver' I think it's also in 'Great Balls of Fire'....something about 'you make my backbone shiver, make my liver quiver...' I like quivering livers too wink.gif Carms - 'Smokey the bear.....' oh no, I'll have to go and check now....or not....that's just put me off laugh.gif xx

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Peanut Duck came blasting over the speakers last night courtesy of Keb and Mark Speakman mentioned that practically the whole lyrics to the song should be included in this topic laugh.gif

OMG - it did at Crossfire too - let's hope the Peanut Duck gets quackered soon....we don't want that sweeping the nation again laugh.gif x

Social source share

By a country mile, The Magnificent 6 'Neither Will I' on Dial. I quote:

"So close

No breeze could blow between us

So tight

You couldn't part us with a Tommy Gun

Standing in the need of each other

Like a flower

Standing in the need of the sun"

WTF were they thinking? The verse as a whole is well done and suitably delicate for an otherwise nice and gentle harmony ballad, but 'kinell, that line...blink.gif

Always smile at that line Alan.Vietnam must have had an influence hey?laugh.gif

Social source share

Gene McDaniels - Cause I love you so

The whole song is about a woman beater absolutely awful lyrics, often thought of playing it out just to see how many people cotton on and get offendedrolleyes.gif

For example

I'm gonna black your eyes cos I seen you with that other guy

or

I'm gonna stretch your neck, girl until you show me some respect

Charming !!!!!!!!

Social source share

Guest SugarRay

Worse / embarrasssing. Off the top of my head:

Inky Dinky - Dramatics (I wonder how long it took the writer to come up with this masterpiece)

Skiing in the snow - Invitations

Bar-b-que - Wendy Rene (this was written by Colonel Steve Cropper for goodness sake - he obviously had an off day)

Naughty boy - Can't remember by who - who cares, it makes me cringe

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert