Twisted Wheel

Hi all.

I regularly visit the Wheel and find that many people are surprised to discover that allnighters were held there in the late 80's on bank holiday weekends. Anyone have any memories to share regarding these nights.

Keep on the good foot.

Yule.

Edited by ulyssees
Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Hi all.

I regularly visit the Wheel and find that many people are surprised to discover that allnighters were held there in the late 80's on bank holiday weekends. Anyone have any memories to share regarding these nights.

Keep on the good foot.

Yule.

I remember going to a few wheel revival nights but they were in the early nineties. Always had a good night there. Mostly. Got b0l0xd there one night Jackie Green & Mark Bicknel kept an eye on me-I remember selling soul sam records out of my sales box for 50p each coz I thought I was back in 1968.laugh.gif

Edited by Kev Moore
Social source share

Hi all.

Keep on the good foot.

Yule.

My first "Up North" allnighter, went to the first one on my own, on the coach from Torquay (when most people were travelling down for their holidays).

Allways a great night,fantastic atmosphere,sweat dripping off the ceiling, met some good mates, bought and sold some great records.

The sounds played were the top newies of the time, mixed with well known,and lesser known oldies.Great dj spots, favs were Butch and Tim Ashibende.

Preferred the smaller social club type rooms, to the gym like venues later on Keele, Abraham Moss etc.

Me and my brother used to go all the time, could never get to the boxing day ones, with transport problems.

Great memories thanks for posting this up.

Social source share

Hi all.

Keep on the good foot.

Yule.

Had some great nights at Placemate 7 (The Wheel) during the 80's, great venue.

Always remember some great weekends that normally started off on the bank-holiday Friday with Mark George, Edwin, Pablo etc. and finished off on the Monday with a few soul nights, all-nighters along the way.

Happy times!

Mark

Social source share

I remember one night playing human pinball with Chris from Bedford, bouncing off the walls all the way down the windey corridoor between rooms. Alway a swaety night there.

I think that on one night there was a huge undergroud room open that was where the original Wheel nighters were held, or so Brian Rae told me, would have believed anything the state i got into.

Fantastic trips up with the other Mark Form Gloucester :huh:

Social source share

• 1 month later...

With Nige on this there was a great sales area, remember getting loads of Golden World Demo's there one night, someone had just come back from the States with a suitcase full of Detroit 45's,

In full agreement Mark. Me n Al Kinsella used to spend all night in the record boxes then decide to have a dance which buy this time the music had ended and we had,nt even noticed :yes: Nowt new there then. Maxines in Wigan used to have nighters on at the same time and we would spend a few hours at the wheel searching thru sales boxes then shoot over to Wigan and start again :yes:

Steve

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert