A Reluctance To Move On?

Paulb

Guest turntableterra

Although i'm right into "oldies" i love hearing sounds that are new to me (maybe not to others), and when i was djing always tried to play at least 1 or 2 that i had'nt heard before.

Most got a good reception.

Best was when i put a copy of "Patti Drew" "Stop and listen" Capitol demo on a cd for a fellow dj, he bothered me for months to find out what the track was, and when i played out "Dean and Jean" Lovingly yours" on rust and Kenny Burrell came up to the decks to find out what it was.

Sorry listed wrong track But he also came up to check my copy of "bobby Patterson" "What a wonderful night for love" on Jetstar and others, not all on the same same day i hasten to add.

im an oldies man, i thought thru and thru for 35 years but im not against modern or crossover its just i cant get into it and believe me i have tried. now i find i am buying some of these records that probably for some or a lot of you are oldies!!!!!!!!!!! like summertime by the l.a. allstars, the lisa stansfield 8/3/1/ , the isley brother 2008 better love and the mike proctor. but my first love is 60`s. at wigan if you missed week you could have missed some of the great tunes and after that period it took a long time to get the old hairs on the back of my neck going, and 2 records did that, played by joe corrence from barrow at tonys in blackburn and then by malc at the blackpool weekender in 1999/2000. diane pane "what side your bread is buttered on" (logo) and danny lee "stop calling me baby" (united artists), it took a long time for me to find them but joe got me one from belgium and when i played the diane pane at a carlisle soul night kenny burrell, gentleman of soul, came and asked me what it was too. another was when kenny played the joey delorenzo at the ritz and i just had to have it, and got it played it in australia the passed it on. i think one sentence sums it up, no oldies without newies. i used to enjoy horse`s spot and cal willinghams at lowton too. the martells....wow....... covered as jimmy williams, the milestones AKA billy hines, i notice john manship has a one on auction...my current plays are the larry cappel "hush" and the showstoppers "heartbreaker".great records. but we could talk all day, need a coffee.

Social source share

• Replies 154
  • Views 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest gordon russell

JOEY DELORENZO...........SURELY YOU'RE AVIN A LAUGH UP THERE IN THE BIGGEST PILE OF POP SHITE EVER

NEXT YOU'LL BE TELLING US YOU LIKE UP AND OVER JAY TRAYNOR LOL. THIS IS ALSO UP THERE ON THE SAME PILE OF SHITE wink.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Social source share

Guest miss nancy

I have only been going to events for about 6 months after a 20plus year break so at first it was really great to hear oldies and to be honest made me feel young again! But there are lots of 'oldies' that aren't played and it seems to be the same old songs that are! Even after just 6 months I am hankering for newer, fresher sounds and enjoyed a Rare Soul Event at Bradford in February, knew some stuff but not many of them and I loved it. Tis great to hear quality soul music whether well known or not.

Social source share

'When did get like this' It has always had an element of this, big rooms have always been about common denominator. Wigan, Yate, Cleethorpes, Stafford. At all of these venues you could look at the DJ line up and would know much of what was going to be played if you went regularly. There was never a time when DJ's went on and played one new thing after another. Even Richard in his hayday would play 80 % of his set the same as the week before at Wigan. Also many new things were played in smaller clubs first and then pick up on by other DJ's, so it was and so it always will be.

As for the ego thing often it's reversed, well known DJ's will pick up on a thing and play it and then it's the ego of another DJ that is hurt. 'It's not fair, why is everyone talking about this or that record he palyed, I played it 2-10 years ago'. Stop worring about what other DJ's do and make sure that you do the very best you can, that is play good music and entertain the paying public.

Lastly 'Punters need to set them free..... Never gonna happen, the majority will always feel more comfortable with what they know, it's human nature.

Like Arthur I have been sacked, not asked back to many venues for playing what ever!! and I strongly believe in new things being played. The more records that are played, then the more memories we will have. But it has to be done in balance.

Not much to add to this you could close the thread now for me.

Social source share

I have only been going to events for about 6 months after a 20plus year break so at first it was really great to hear oldies and to be honest made me feel young again! But there are lots of 'oldies' that aren't played and it seems to be the same old songs that are! Even after just 6 months I am hankering for newer, fresher sounds and enjoyed a Rare Soul Event at Bradford in February, knew some stuff but not many of them and I loved it. Tis great to hear quality soul music whether well known or not.

Great post, especially bit's I've put in bold :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert