A Reluctance To Move On?

Paulb

what part of my post are you struggling with and what attitude ?

what have what Paul and George got to do with this ?

I dont know George that well apart from selling him the odd record, I know Paul quite well and certainly would never infer he was a div.

how have I misrepresented the room ?

I enjoy the room,always spend most of the later hours in there when I am at Radcliffe...........hear a lot of cheap ( but good ) records ,and would say that most ( not all ) of the tunes I have heard when I have been in have been lower value records that have shown imagination from the DJs.

I would sooner hear somebody play a set of £10 and £20 records ( some I know and some I dont ) than hear the same expensive records all the time,

you keep playing your good expensive records,you would impress me more if you played good cheap records.

your English is too good for this not to come across as another example of your head being up your arse.

Good holiday then Headsy :smile:

......good cheap choons my arse..like Gareth says ,these guy's have stuff that's pushing the boundaries and are being chased by people who want something different...something to keep them interested ..it's what makes some people tick:yes:

Im sure he won't mind me saying ...but here goes ..Mick Smith pointed me in the direction of that room on the one occasion i visited Radcliffe, and told me how he'd had the pleasure of hearing these guy's spin at Stevie's other venue , the night before ....he was blown away by these lesser known dj's and especially their knowledge .

And you know how keen Mick is, and how enthusiastic him and Mo are to all thing's new to the ears,not just anything either......very exquisite taste too:smile:

P.s i gave up trying to remember what i'd heard in that room ......far too many to jot down on my phone notepad:D

look forward to your set at Coachman for those cheap but quality lesser known gems:thumbup:

Social source share

• Replies 154
  • Views 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Its cos they know it all.:wink:

I already gave the example of the Wally Coco debacle recently. Had the dj in question ever ventured out and listened to tunes and other djs spots.... popped his head out as a punter, then he would have known his new discovery had been discovered about 2 years earlier in the small rooms of venues he had actually been at, but had never bothered listening at.

It must be an ego thing? i dont know, i listen to everyones spots and base my judgement on that, not hearsay or hierachy.

To be honest i cant think of ONE exciting big room in the UK...its getting so hackneyed and worn out and worst of all PREDICTABLE. I can almost make a list of what will be played just by looking at the lineup and the venue. When did it become like this? As i said i supported 3 events over the weekend and not just ones i was djing at!

A lot of opinions on how the floor needs oldies and playing to the floor, seem to come from people you only see out at venues they dj at....so what do they know, beyond their own doorstep? Also, i haven't actually seen many packed BIG ROOMS, so where the f--k are these punters who demand homogonized soul? A lot of the time they go home at 2pm, pissed and tired...and the venue empties out!

I think a small room with committed , soulful punters, is a far greater experience than hanging out in room full of lack lustre soulies who stopped caring about the music when they stopped going to Wigan...

Many of the small rooms still contain that original spirit of exploration and excitement...And i have seen quite a few 'Big names' die in small rooms around the country because, when they were given the freedom to play anything, they still played the programmed set they were stuck in and had no idea how to operate outside the 'Big boy tunes'....

I actually feel sorry for them having to wear the straight jacket of the 'Big Name' boys (shame i cant say girls as their not allowed in:wink: ) ..it must get so f--king boring week in and week out, playing the same tunes over and over.....soul destroying!

Punters need to set them free.....

We've had some top line dj's on at our's - given freedom to play whatever -and it works for us.Prefer the smaller rooms,dj's on their mettle,punters joining in on a personal level with the dj (neckcraning,asking questions etc).No hiding place.

How many times have you heard a tune you've had for ages,and never heard it out.?,Then "Bingo" you walk in the "other room" and there it is is all its glory!!!!.

In reality,there's no point trying to convince folk of what turns you on soulwise.Just do it.!!!!

Social source share

did a spot locally last year,stuck ellie greenwich on:CLEARED THE FLOOR,back to the well known over played oldies:floor filled up,but hell what are we there to do:FILL THE FLOOR,catch22?

Did it empty straight away?...which Ellie Greenwich one was it and was there a drastic change in tempowhich is why people left the floor?I hate dancefloors where they have the lights on...you feel as though you're on a football pitch.

Social source share

I already gave the example of the Wally Coco debacle recently. Had the dj in question ever ventured out and listened to tunes and other djs spots.... popped his head out as a punter, then he would have known his new discovery had been discovered about 2 years earlier in the small rooms of venues he had actually been at, but had never bothered listening at.

It must be an ego thing? i dont know, i listen to everyones spots and base my judgement on that, not hearsay or hierachy.

To be honest i cant think of ONE exciting big room in the UK...its getting so hackneyed and worn out and worst of all PREDICTABLE. I can almost make a list of what will be played just by looking at the lineup and the venue. When did it become like this? As i said i supported 3 events over the weekend and not just ones i was djing at!

A lot of opinions on how the floor needs oldies and playing to the floor, seem to come from people you only see out at venues they dj at....so what do they know, beyond their own doorstep? Also, i haven't actually seen many packed BIG ROOMS, so where the f--k are these punters who demand homogonized soul? A lot of the time they go home at 2pm, pissed and tired...and the venue empties out!

I think a small room with committed , soulful punters, is a far greater experience than hanging out in room full of lack lustre soulies who stopped caring about the music when they stopped going to Wigan...

Many of the small rooms still contain that original spirit of exploration and excitement...And i have seen quite a few 'Big names' die in small rooms around the country because, when they were given the freedom to play anything, they still played the programmed set they were stuck in and had no idea how to operate outside the 'Big boy tunes'....

I actually feel sorry for them having to wear the straight jacket of the 'Big Name' boys (shame i cant say girls as their not allowed in:wink: ) ..it must get so f--king boring week in and week out, playing the same tunes over and over.....soul destroying!

Paul with all due respect the dj ( yeah ok my best pal ) has frequented more small medium & large rooms ( as a paying punter), played first bla bla bla more records than you or i will ever do. Dont think you quite get it do you, he's never done a thing out of ego, it's impossible!. As for your wally coco crusade, yep fine record & played no doubt in some damn fine clubs but hey come on!. I'M ALL FOR UNDERPLAYED being programed, gods knows i've been sacked from enuf clubs in tryin 8-). I'll agree with you on the point of playing arround europe, its by far the most exciting thing i do, Arthur

Social source share

Paul with all due respect the dj ( yeah ok my best pal ) has frequented more small medium & large rooms ( as a paying punter), played first bla bla bla more records than you or i will ever do. Dont think you quite get it do you, he's never done a thing out of ego, it's impossible!. As for your wally coco crusade, yep fine record & played no doubt in some damn fine clubs but hey come on!. I'M ALL FOR UNDERPLAYED being programed, gods knows i've been sacked from enuf clubs in tryin 8-). I'll agree with you on the point of playing arround europe, its by far the most exciting thing i do, Arthur

Oh & another point!, said ego tripin dj was mortified ( christ knows why ) to hear he was MISS quoted at lifeline saying the w coco was a first play ever, he of course said/ meant at lifeline. One can only wonder at some people eh!. Still it's all good funthumbsup.gif , Arthur.

Social source share

I agree Arthur, He did do that. But i havent seen it for years... you dont see these guys out as punters or going into rooms to listen much anymore. I dont doubt their knowledge, BUT i also know that, like us all, they havent heard everything. Laurels are no excuse to stop. Wally is just an example, i have loads of other examples , but thats not the point. Some Big Djs get music fed from a few big dealers, they dont get informed by listening as a punter to the array of excellent djs that are around (the world). If you dont use the internet now then you fall WAY BEHIND whats happening and the great stuff thats yet to be hammered! It narrows your boundaries and you become victim of someone elses taste. Wally just took the click of a google search to be informed of its history.

Edited by paul-s
Social source share

'When did get like this' It has always had an element of this, big rooms have always been about common denominator. Wigan, Yate, Cleethorpes, Stafford. At all of these venues you could look at the DJ line up and would know much of what was going to be played if you went regularly. There was never a time when DJ's went on and played one new thing after another. Even Richard in his hayday would play 80 % of his set the same as the week before at Wigan. Also many new things were played in smaller clubs first and then pick up on by other DJ's, so it was and so it always will be.

As for the ego thing often it's reversed, well known DJ's will pick up on a thing and play it and then it's the ego of another DJ that is hurt. 'It's not fair, why is everyone talking about this or that record he palyed, I played it 2-10 years ago'. Stop worring about what other DJ's do and make sure that you do the very best you can, that is play good music and entertain the paying public.

Lastly 'Punters need to set them free..... Never gonna happen, the majority will always feel more comfortable with what they know, it's human nature.

Like Arthur I have been sacked, not asked back to many venues for playing what ever!! and I strongly believe in new things being played. The more records that are played, then the more memories we will have. But it has to be done in balance.

Social source share

I agree Arthur, He did do that. But i havent seen it for years... you dont see these guys out as punters or going into rooms to listen much anymore. I dont doubt their knowledge, BUT i also know that, like us all, they havent heard everything. Laurels are no excuse to stop. Wally is just an example, i have loads of other examples , but thats not the point. Some Big Djs get music fed from a few big dealers, they dont get informed by listening as a punter to the array of excellent djs that are around (the world). If you dont use the internet now then you fall WAY BEHIND whats happening and the great stuff thats yet to be hammered! It narrows your boundaries and you become victim of someone elses taste. Wally just took the click of a google search to be informed of its history.

Tell you what Paul, lets see how your unfloundering passion is after 45yrs or so on this crazy wonderful scene. And excuse me! Restin on his frekin laurels, love him or whatever, no one pushes things along like Sam. Who feeds you anyway or do you frequent America searching the gheto's? Oh & you must be really out of the loop expecting Sam to google anything :laugh:

Social source share

Shame they have stopped trying then, cos i agree. Shame the moaners dont give them the space, respect or chance to play what THEY want. Or is it that they presume the punters wont dance. It was great to see punters from the main room come into steves and dance. As, ive said, when you hear Butch in Scandanavia his set is totally different...same top quality, but not hammered. But id rather hear a small room exciting dj, than Butch in a UK main rooms playing the same tunes over and over to the demanding punters. I want to hear 'him' play, not 'them!'

Its not a competition.laugh.gif You say 'big names' and 'wannabee', like their god and the antichrist. Since when did you become afraid of hearing new tunes? The latent potential of big name djs is not what Paul was talking about, i dont think...not the question.

Its the scene thats got the problem, it demands a product and its getting more and more homogonized, complacent...lazy. Or is it just old...age?

Wannabee...yes, guess it depends what they/you wannabee.

I wannabee hearing great, soulful, exciting tunes

I wannabee around in the room im playing in, so i contribute to a 'night', dancing and listening.

I wannabee going up to the decks asking whats that, not, oh god 'not that' again and again and again

I dont wannabee bored by my own tunes.

I dont wannabee hammering my own tunes til im sick of hearing them.

I dont wannabee looking at a dj line up and know exactly whats coming every time.

I dont wannee be knowing what set im going to play, the week, day or minute, before i go on.

I dont wannabee out of the room when certain djs are on...in case i miss something brilliant.

I dont wannabee reading what ratio oldie to newie you can play, thats just absurd.

I wannabee true to the reason i got into soul music.To hear as many great tunes as i can while im on this mortal coil. And dance to them.

Just your terminology for someone whos into music and plays soul, but isn't into hearing the same tunes everytime they go out, says it all. Thats why i just reclaimed it...Peaceyes.gif

I wanabee at a nighter where Butch, Andy, Mick , and the 'big room' djs play what they want for the night, not what punters demand. That shows respect nothing else. That would be a top night for sure and i would be first in the queue.

Great post Paul. Agree with a lot of what you are saying.

Just the one slight hiccup though,

The post was a reply to Soulsorts AKA Dodger AKA Roger Williams.

A DJ who has probably heard, played & championed more new Soul music in the first 3 months this year than you will hear in an entire lifetime.

Just take a look at some of his playlists if you don't believe me.

Social source share

Tell you what Paul, lets see how your unfloundering passion is after 45yrs or so on this crazy wonderful scene. And excuse me! Restin on his frekin laurels, love him or whatever, no one pushes things along like Sam. Who feeds you anyway or do you frequent America searching the gheto's? Oh & you must be really out of the loop expecting Sam to google anything laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

They could do. Who knows.

Just a shame a lot of 'big name' DJ's do not go and listen to what is being played in these smaller rooms.

ha ha......a lot of em don,t go and listen to whats being played in any f**king roomlaugh.giflaugh.gif

how do joanthumbsup.gif

Social source share

A DJ who has probably heard, played & championed more new Soul music in the first 3 months this year than you will hear in an entire lifetime.

I dont care who AKA he is. If hes done that himself he wouldn't use the word Wannabee about djs who play tunes they love and find via hard work. END OF. It implies they wannabee in those f--king lifeless big rooms! He showed himself to be out of the loop just with that naff statement.

I DO GO OUT mate and ive heard most of those who go on about HISTORY and "hes heard more tunes than youve had hot dinners", but i dont see them supporting f--k all at moment. So if they dont go out and listen, quite frankly, I dont give a f--k for their opinions as they are based on what? Have they heard every tune mate? I can guarantee NOT.

As i said ive heard most big names playing a lot of times over the last few years and apart from BUTCH playing abroad, GEORGE buried em on Friday, Saturday and Sunday...Now, the problem is, they wouldn't know because they dont bother with the wannabees...the wannabee playing fresh, soulful music crowd. As someone said earlier they are chasing a lot of tunes George has! Quality non-battered rarities!

Its so arrogant ..all these statements about "hes heard more tunes in 3 months than you will hear in a lifetime, for one, how would you know? Or him?

Just totally naff statements...driven by a mis placed hierachy. I would never in my lifetime presume to spout such crap about what ANYONE has heard. I dont know what they have heard. I only hear what they play.

Arthur i get my tunes by travelling around the world and listening to anyones spot i can..talking to them about their tunes and then chasing it, if i like it. I listen to clips, inhabit small soul rooms, peoples houses, USA radio shows, get sent clips, search clips..every day, listen to other types of music....have a few dealers who know i love non battered tunes? Why?

Edited by paul-s
Social source share

Cheers Mart, but I didn't really take what Paul said as an affront to me, neither did I intend my own post to be an affront to people like Paul who I've no doubt, especially after reading his reply, that what drives him is his passion for the music - I also think PaulB's initial posted showed that he was somebody with a genuine passion for the music, which I agree is how it should be for everyone. What I said was really a generalised statement based on the vast number of times over the years I've seen DJ's being popped at by what I always think is somebody basically saying 'why is he up there DJ'ing when I've got all the records so it should be me' so probably my use of the word 'wannabee' was misleading as it appeared all-encompassing and it honestly wasn't intended as a sleight on anyone who is genuinely passionate about the music, least of all Paul.

I just believe that a lot of 'name' DJ's are sometimes unfairly criticised for having to play sets to please the majority, and having DJ'd at big weekenders in prime timeslots on the modern side of things, I know the frustration of having to play big crowd pleasing tunes that in truth as a lover of soul music I'd rather not hear again in my life ever, I'd far rather play music I want to play to a crowd of people who have the same passion for it as I do, but at these big events these days it's just not going to happen, on either the northern or the modern scene, and I'm certain it must be the same for the 'name' northern DJ's. In terms of Paul's replies, there are parallels between the northern and modern scenes, with 'name' DJ's who have immense collections, yet choose the play same set time after time after time after time.

I actually feel very much on the same side as Paul in terms of genuine passion for playing and chasing and being excited by fresh music, be it northern for him, and the new stuff for me, but as a DJ in this day and age, you really do have to balance it out with a degree of realism as to who you're playing to, but other than that I agree with just about everything he's said.

Roger

Social source share

Cheers Mart, but I didn't really take what Paul said as an affront to me, neither did I intend my own post to be an affront to people like Paul who I've no doubt, especially after reading his reply, that what drives him is his passion for the music - I also think PaulB's initial posted showed that he was somebody with a genuine passion for the music, which I agree is how it should be for everyone. What I said was really a generalised statement based on the vast number of times over the years I've seen DJ's being popped at by what I always think is somebody basically saying 'why is he up there DJ'ing when I've got all the records so it should be me' so probably my use of the word 'wannabee' was misleading as it appeared all-encompassing and it honestly wasn't intended as a sleight on anyone who is genuinely passionate about the music, least of all Paul.

I just believe that a lot of 'name' DJ's are sometimes unfairly criticised for having to play sets to please the majority, and having DJ'd at big weekenders in prime timeslots on the modern side of things, I know the frustration of having to play big crowd pleasing tunes that in truth as a lover of soul music I'd rather not hear again in my life ever, I'd far rather play music I want to play to a crowd of people who have the same passion for it as I do, but at these big events these days it's just not going to happen, on either the northern or the modern scene, and I'm certain it must be the same for the 'name' northern DJ's. In terms of Paul's replies, there are parallels between the northern and modern scenes, with 'name' DJ's who have immense collections, yet choose the play same set time after time after time after time.

I actually feel very much on the same side as Paul in terms of genuine passion for playing and chasing and being excited by fresh music, be it northern for him, and the new stuff for me, but as a DJ in this day and age, you really do have to balance it out with a degree of realism as to who you're playing to, but other than that I agree with just about everything he's said.

Roger

Nice post mate...I dont play Northern though. Dont own a northern soul tune.no.gif

Yes, the reality is that the scene is stuck in a self imposed limbo and neither dj nor punter will take the initiative to shake up and wake up and have fun again. I dont have to go in big rooms and dj anymore, when i did it was too depressing and life sucking. I like most others who try to play from the soul, got complaints from badly and bagilly dressed throw backs. So got taken offlaugh.gif But it didn't make me buy a load of over priced oldies to entertain them, gain acceptance and bore myself to death for the next 5 years. I just cant compromise my heart, soul or music...

Keep up what your doing mate...

Social source share

Guest Mart B

With reference to a reluctance to move on ,i was hearing moving on tunes in the 8ts at the trotters in Mansfield with Jim wensoura & Rob marriott at the helm.

To date most clubs are moving on,,, Established clubs in the east midlands from the last 10 to 12 years have moved on from "run of the mill oldies".

But these clubs "have to play some established oldies to please some of the punters" no problem with that,from my point of view most soul Clubs in the east midlands are now starting to push the boundaries..... especially with the calibre of DJS like Mick H & Ted Massey now getting regular spots.. Mark Bicknell/chalky/Rob Wigley/ Tats taylor all with fabulous collections have guested at the Attic.They dont play ultra rare unknowns just quality oldies that "deserve alisten" and are has good on the ear as well known oldies..

My opinion is of 6ts early 7ts tunes only..... touch of crossover perhapshuh.gif , no reference to r&b or modern.

Social source share

With reference to a reluctance to move on ,i was hearing moving on tunes in the 8ts at the trotters in Mansfield with Jim wensoura & Rob marriott at the helm.

To date most clubs are moving on,,, Established clubs in the east midlands from the last 10 to 12 years have moved on from "run of the mill oldies".

But these clubs "have to play some established oldies to please some of the punters" no problem with that,from my point of view most soul Clubs in the east midlands are now starting to push the boundaries..... especially with the calibre of DJS like Mick H & Ted Massey now getting regular spots.. Mark Bicknell/chalky/Rob Wigley/ Tats taylor all with fabulous collections have guested at the Attic.They dont play ultra rare unknowns just quality oldies that "deserve alisten" and are has good on the ear as well known oldies..

My opinion is of 6ts early 7ts tunes only..... touch of crossover perhapshuh.gif , no reference to r&b or modern.

I tend to just buy and collect what I like now, as for big records had most of them and despite the rumour still got some tasty tunes, I'm with Paul on the bigger venue comments and I'm far more at home in a side room or small venue thesedays, the point has to be about expressing yourself musically when you DJ within your means rather than the juke box method which seems to be the case at some venues.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

I dont care who AKA he is Ian. If hes done that himself he wouldn't use the word Wannabee about djs who play tunes they love and find via hard work. END OF. It implies they wannabee in those f--king lifeless big rooms! He showed himself to be out of the loop just with that naff statement.

I DO GO OUT mate and ive heard most of those who go on about HISTORY and "hes heard more tunes than youve had hot dinners", but i dont see them supporting f--k all at moment. So if they dont go out and listen, quite frankly, I dont give a f--k for their opinions as they are based on what? Have they heard every tune mate? I can guarantee NOT.

As i said ive heard most big names playing a lot of times over the last few years and apart from BUTCH playing abroad, GEORGE buried em on Friday, Saturday and Sunday...Now, the problem is, they wouldn't know because they dont bother with the wannabees...the wannabee playing fresh, soulful music crowd. As someone said earlier they are chasing a lot of tunes George has! Quality non-battered rarities!

Its so arrogant ..all these statements about "hes heard more tunes in 3 months than you will hear in a lifetime, for one, how would you know? Or him?

Just totally naff statements...driven by a mis placed hierachy. I would never in my lifetime presume to spout such crap about what ANYONE has heard. I dont know what they have heard. I only hear what they play.

Arthur i get my tunes by travelling around the world and listening to anyones spot i can..talking to them about their tunes and then chasing it, if i like it. I listen to clips, inhabit small soul rooms, peoples houses, USA radio shows, get sent clips, search clips..every day, listen to other types of music....have a few dealers who know i love non battered tunes? Why?

Roger

Ooerr that didn't take long did it boys.

Right then seeing as I threw the cat amongst the pigeons (along with many others on this thread) I best reply to you both.

Firstly Paul. My post to you was tongue in cheek & maybe I should have included the odd smiley in it to make that obvious to you. Just found it quite funny that of all the people on the thread you chose to reply to you picked Roger who is one of the top 2K Modern Soul DJ's in this Country. Sure now you know who he is you can see the irony in it now, least I hope so.

BTW I'm not called Ianlaugh.gif You ain't the first & probably not the last to make that mistake.

Roger, Agree with what you & Paul are saying even though you are coming from different angles of the Soul music spectrum. Now't like a bit of good old fashioned fire in folk's bellies to stoke things up & good to see you both posess it in bucketloads (cue deniallaugh.gif).

Anyway instead of all the usual comments like New, Old, Rare, Cheap, Underplayed, Overplayed can we not just call it good music???

Oh what the hell I'm off to EMS. Far more fun on there now everyone's up in arms talking about Northern.

Right back on topic sort of, Can anyone tell me how the Modern boy's went down in the same room before it was handed over to Mr Cato & co??

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

Tell you what Paul, lets see how your unfloundering passion is after 45yrs or so on this crazy wonderful scene. And excuse me! Restin on his frekin laurels, love him or whatever, no one pushes things along like Sam. Who feeds you anyway or do you frequent America searching the gheto's? Oh & you must be really out of the loop expecting Sam to google anything laugh.gif

Arthur you're absolutely right regards Sam and the internet. In fact he thinks a Google is what he used to occasionally try to bowl when he played in our village's cricket team. laugh.gif

Given his total incomprehension of anything technological (i.e. internet, eBay, Popsike etc etc) then you have to marvel at how he gets to find/hear/discover/seek out the records he does.

He must put in much more physical effort (travelling around the UK to various dealers and collectors to seek out new records as an example) than almost anyone else in the country. He is far more disadvantaged than most on the scene in terms of easy access via technology to hear music. He doesn't have a clue what a download is, what a MP3 is, what an iPod is.

And the guy is not far off 70!

Hope you and Maria are well.

Brian thumbsup.gif

Edited by Brian Ellis
Social source share

We've had some top line dj's on at our's - given freedom to play whatever -and it works for us.Prefer the smaller rooms,dj's on their mettle,punters joining in on a personal level with the dj (neckcraning,asking questions etc).No hiding place.

Been some 'big names' at the Attic that's for sure, Andy Dyson was great when he was on at your place :yes:. We've managed to get a few 'big names' to dj at our place as well and it's great to see how enthusiastic and excited they are when we explain that they have complete freedom to play anything they want. Lost count of how many times DJs say they're almost trapped by their own reputation and don't get the chance to play outside their usual box of floorfillers.

As a promoter of a small venue I do like to see dancers on the floor enjoying themselves but it's not all about the floor being filled. There are loads of people who never dance or do so very rarely and come to sit and listen to the music and at my place what they want to listen to is something they don't know or haven't heard for ages. Their enjoyment of the night is just as important as the dancers enjoyment.

Before people try to point out the obvious to me, yes I know it's a dance scene and yes I know that a busy dancefloor is a major factor in generating the buzz and atmosphere at a venue. But it seems that the majority have been fooled into believing that the only way to judge a DJ is by the numbers they get on the floor, so a DJ who has a rammed floor throughout his 60 minute set of 'classic'/played out oldies is a good DJ and get booked again because he's 'given the punters what they want'. But the next DJ who mixes in some quality lesser knowns and forgotten sounds with some 'classic' oldies is a bad DJ because there are not as many dancers on the floor for his non obvious spins and he doesn't get booked again.

A DJs job can't just be filling the floor, if thats his sole responsibility then there is no point having any DJs, a few compilation CDs will do just as well and works out cheaper for the promoter. Yes, it's an important part of a DJs job but not the only part.

IMO it's many of the dancers who need to take responsibilty for the huge number of boring main rooms. How often have you seen people stop dancing as soon as something they don't know is played and a floor go from busy to empty in the space of 10seconds? The song that has done such damage is one they don't know so therefore cannot dance to is what I get told when I've asked people why they didn't dance to a certain record, but that's just boll*x....ok you don't know it but does it have a danceable beat which you could dance to if you tried?? If the answers yes then you need to trust the DJ that the song doesn't turn into an undanceable rock n roll ballad half way through and get up onto the dancefloor and give it your best shot. When the needle was first dropped on 'Do I Love You' or 'Love Slipped Through My Fingers' and this totally new and unknown track came blasting out the speakers did you instantly stop dancing cos you didn't know it?? Or did you feel the music and carry on dancing?? I'll hazard a guess that you kept on dancing?? So why the fook do you now refuse to dance to anything you've not heard before??

Social source share

If you don't mind me saying so, there are two completely different groups involved in these debates. I say "these debates" because this is just the usual newies versus oldies debate that has been beautifully camouflaged to look like something else.

I know Paul S, and I know that he has a very eclectic taste. But many people on here, and I include myself in this group, actually like what can only be described as Northern. That is 60's mid to uptempo dance music made mainly by black artists that have that Northern sound. And that's it. I have realised that I'm not a soul fan, only a Northern soul fan. Paul is a soul fan.

I've been to these small rooms, and I used to attend Steve Cato's earlier promotions and places like the Greatstone. But if I am honest, apart from the social aspect of the night, it was musically in the main, not my cup of tea.

I can totally understand why people are fed up with hearing the same records over and over, and want to start events playing something different. The problem is, I don't actually like the something different. They don't make Northern soul anymore, and though there are many unknown / lesser known 45's to play. You are kidding yourselves that they are great records.

As for the so called modern soul 70's to 2010. I have never been a fan. So basically because of my personal narrow taste for 60's Northern, the scene is over for me. I wish that the other genres did it for me, but they just don't, and I don't want to go on listening to the same tunes till I shuffle off this mortal coil.

Phil.

Social source share

Arthur you're absolutely right regards Sam and the internet. In fact he thinks a Google is what he used to occasionally try to bowl when he played in our village's cricket team. :laugh:

Given his total incomprehension of anything technological (i.e. internet, eBay, Popsike etc etc) then you have to marvel at how he gets to find/hear/discover/seek out the records he does.

He must put in much more physical effort (travelling around the UK to various dealers and collectors to seek out new records as an example) than almost anyone else in the country. He is far more disadvantaged than most on the scene in terms of easy access via technology to hear music. He doesn't have a clue what a download is, what a MP3 is, what an iPod is.

Brian thumbsup.gif

To be totally honest .......i can't for the life of me understand how this topic has become a SOUL SAM fest:ohmy: (not sure if the right terminology )

Of all the so called "big name dj's " Sam would be one of the least i'd accuse of reluctance to move on...so hopefully we can leave his good name out of it ,especially as he is'nt a member who can defend himself on here.

Nobody knows everything or has heard everything and i don't think the thread is aimed at such?

People who seek out and play new records often come in for stick from the masses but without these pioneers the soul scene would almost cetainly be a nostalgia event today ,infact if it were'nt for the pioneers in the early days ...it would'nt exist.

What goes on in the little room at Radcliffe happens all over the country, it's no co-incidence it is in the "little room" as that's probably where most of tomorrow's big tunes are born:smile:

Finally this debate about big rooms not playing more upfront records will never be resolved ....it's how things are and how they always will be ...big rooms need to be filled with dancers to create the atmosphere, so mostly known records are the order of the day .....little rooms are much more initimate and personal so they don't need the dancers ..just dj/collectors with emotional problems:D .....(said with tongue in cheek)

Social source share

Arthur you're absolutely right regards Sam and the internet. In fact he thinks a Google is what he used to occasionally try to bowl when he played in our village's cricket team. :laugh:

Brian thumbsup.gif

Great thanks Brian tho not hit a ball since october :ohmy: . That was my point excactly tho i think this goes a little deeper than mr sadots spat with Sam. Agree also that a lot of us guys now enjoy playing smaller rooms, think the kind of genre we are spining lends itself to a more intimate surrounding & the thought of trying to play my fav tunes in most large venues fills me with dread :D , that said i do believe many will eventually break through to the main halls but thats nothing new, in fact none of this thread is new its like bldy ground hog day & i've been sucked into this dribble ( that'll make Maria larf ), right back to ebay, gota find me some new toys.

Social source share

Great thanks Brian tho not hit a ball since october :ohmy: . That was my point excactly tho i think this goes a little deeper than mr sadots spat with Sam. Agree also that a lot of us guys now enjoy playing smaller rooms, think the kind of genre we are spining lends itself to a more intimate surrounding & the thought of trying to play my fav tunes in most large venues fills me with dread :D , that said i do believe many will eventually break through to the main halls but thats nothing new, in fact none of this thread is new its like bldy ground hog day & i've been sucked into this dribble ( that'll make Maria larf ), right back to ebay, gota find me some new toys.

Can I come with you Arthur as my toy box needs a new teddy or two lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Right back on topic sort of, Can anyone tell me how the Modern boy's went down in the same room before it was handed over to Mr Cato & co??

They packed it and did great!:yes:

To set things straight...what im saying ONLY shows respect to what these 'Big Names' (not all though!:laugh: ) have in terms of knowlegde and tunes. Thing is I WANT TO HEAR THEM!

Cant wait to support Mick in Oslo this year or hear Sam abroad...ill travel for the promise of that.

Pauls original post should be encouragement, not 'ruffle feathers'. Hes a young generation of soul lover and runs a busy club with other young soulies. If you want to attract a new committed and energetic crowd, then listen and encourage, not just make inadequate statements about 'thats the way it is'.

I want the big venues to pay for and put on young, foreign dj's (not just when they happen to be attending the venue anyway)..Markus, marius, Tommy, Goldie and many others .

I want to hear sets that travel between genres and i dont notice the join...all good dance music.

On a last note, im using the word 'Big names' in the scenes accepted form But my 'big names' are ALL the guys who put soul and bollocks, impulse and creativity into their sets. If it wasn't the promise of coming across them, id stop going out.

peace.

Edited by paul-s
Social source share

If you don't mind me saying so, there are two completely different groups involved in these debates. I say "these debates" because this is just the usual newies versus oldies debate that has been beautifully camouflaged to look like something else.

I know Paul S, and I know that he has a very eclectic taste. But many people on here, and I include myself in this group, actually like what can only be described as Northern. That is 60's mid to uptempo dance music made mainly by black artists that have that Northern sound. And that's it. I have realised that I'm not a soul fan, only a Northern soul fan. Paul is a soul fan.

I've been to these small rooms, and I used to attend Steve Cato's earlier promotions and places like the Greatstone. But if I am honest, apart from the social aspect of the night, it was musically in the main, not my cup of tea.

I can totally understand why people are fed up with hearing the same records over and over, and want to start events playing something different. The problem is, I don't actually like the something different. They don't make Northern soul anymore, and though there are many unknown / lesser known 45's to play. You are kidding yourselves that they are great records.

As for the so called modern soul 70's to 2010. I have never been a fan. So basically because of my personal narrow taste for 60's Northern, the scene is over for me. I wish that the other genres did it for me, but they just don't, and I don't want to go on listening to the same tunes till I shuffle off this mortal coil.

Phil.

I'm quite surprised with that statement Phil. You ran a great night that dared to venture away from the same old same old. I wouldn't have said it was a typical northern soul night by any means.

And Karl doesn't fit the northern soul dj tag. Did his sets not do it for you?

This isn't an attack on you mate, I'm genuinely interested in your views.

Social source share

spot on paul, thats it in a nutshell thumbsup.gif

Social source share

But Phil, KARL (my best mate) was one of the most popular dj at Burney and more than HALF the tunes he played there are from the 70's and packed the floor.. (they just sound 60s), so what your saying is uninformed,. It shows a lack of knowledge of 70's music. Most of my set on Saturday was 70's, but not as you imagine in your preconceptions. You cant dissmiss a f---king incredible and wide spectrum of music without knowing it. Im a dancer and a soul fan and i need the two to work together....Im not an automoton that flicks into motion (like pavlovs dog) when i hear a tune for the thousandth time. As soon as you give yourself an era as a straight jacket, your f---ked. Because there are 60's sounding 70's (heardy)and 70's sounding 60's...you become confined and poorer for it. Check out UNDERBELLY's new release- i keep heading on, sounds 70's, but its 21st century.

At its outset Burnley declared it was UPTEMPO 60's only!....but you changed by the end, saying it played uptempo and mid tempo, because, somewhere along the way, you heard great mid tempo. You need to do the same with the 70's, gospel, funk edged soul (like Karl [plays) and whatever hasn't been discovered yet. Dont constrict yourself mate...best Paul

Edited by paul-s
Social source share

laugh.gif No!, best to you too Mark.

arthur

this just reminds of mecca versus wigan years ago. you know where we stand on this, i can'tbelieve people still rant on about the music. lets face it there are records we like and records we don't, we are never going to please everyone all of the time. Will people ever learn

cheers

Paul

Social source share

As usual Paul, I didn't express myself very well. I agree, there are some records from the other genres that blow me away. But not enough to make a week in week out scene.

You mention Karl. My own opinion on the reason Karl has had so much success are these. He's a musician, he's a dancer and he's got exquisite taste. Simple. But he admitted to me that it was getting harder and harder to find enough quality tunes.

And yes, I have to say that some of the stuff Karl plays isn't for me personally. But compared to every other Dj that I have heard, he is far and away the best at getting people dancing to lesser known tunes.

Dynamic Corvettes.....wub.gifthumbsup.gif

Social source share

Arthur you're absolutely right regards Sam and the internet. In fact he thinks a Google is what he used to occasionally try to bowl when he played in our village's cricket team. laugh.gif

Brian thumbsup.gif

I appologies if I am mistaken. But isn't Sam to be found at Manships every week being fed his new records?

Social source share

As usual Paul, I didn't express myself very well. I agree, there are some records from the other genres that blow me away. But not enough to make a week in week out scene.

You mention Karl. My own opinion on the reason Karl has had so much success are these. He's a musician, he's a dancer and he's got exquisite taste. Simple. But he admitted to me that it was getting harder and harder to find enough quality tunes.

And yes, I have to say that some of the stuff Karl plays isn't for me personally. But compared to every other Dj that I have heard, he is far and away the best at getting people dancing to lesser known tunes.

Dynamic Corvettes.....wub.gifthumbsup.gif

True mate...i actually dont think big rooms will survive...we need a medium room.yes.gif Karl is a great example of translating 70's to the 60's loving crowd. BUT as i said, they are 70's, and their are loads out there that are Great records in any bracket and dont get hammered each week.

Karl being a dancer is a great example because if a tune he plays clears a floor, he doesn't bottle it, because he knows in his heart its a great dancer. He sticks with it and people listen and eventually dance. Djs who dont dance, lose faith if a floor clears to a new tune and panic into their safety records box...its easier and doesn't require faith or passion.. Keep the Faith.

Dynamic Corvettes had the floor in Steves. and would in any big room.

Edited by paul-s
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

arthur

this just reminds of mecca versus wigan years ago. you know where we stand on this, i can'tbelieve people still rant on about the music. lets face it there are records we like and records we don't, we are never going to please everyone all of the time. Will people ever learn

cheers

Paul

I think the day we stop ranting on about the music is the day we should pack it all in. Personally I call it passion.

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

I appologies if I am mistaken. But isn't Sam to be found at Manships every week being fed his new records?

That seems a very narrow (and somewhat distorted) assessment of the work Sam puts in to finding/acquiring his records. Sure he deals with JM, but also dozens of other dealers/collectors, from rarest-of-rare people to those specialising in more modern/new releases.

Not really sure what you mean by 'fed' - are you suggesting that he has no ability to judge the quality of a record himself without JM putting it into his hands and told 'go play it!'? Have you ever seen Sam's collection; have you ever heard one of his early spots where he isn't expected to fill a dancefloor?

How many DJs discover uniquely every record they play, i.e. that has never been discovered or played by anyone else before, they find it, they alone play it and they are absolutely, singlehandedly responsible for breaking that record; Butch gets closest to this, but thereafter, almost by definition, others follow - to a greater, or lesser extent.

Like him (or his taste in music) or not, Sam has got one of the longest pedigrees in the history of the NS scene and has very rarely buckled under the, at times massive, pressure to conform to the 'norm' and I would argue that the scene overall is much the richer for his singlemindedness. And hasn't he provided a role model for many of the DJs who came onto the scene well after him and who are now 'big names' who also try to push the boundaries in whatever genre they choose to specialise in?

Edited by Brian Ellis
Social source share

Appologie accepted but you are mistaken & also so what if!, gota say Phil and this will be the last time i harp on about this, the guy ( & yes he's not the only one ) has put himself in every position to get hold of new records, can you tell me in this day & age what the hell else can anyone do?, sadly the days of tripin over great rare records in any street in america are long gone, if you've got another way please share your secret. Arthur. ps, enjoyed Burnley smile.gif

Social source share

arthur

cheers

Paul

No sorry Paul can't agree, we were young kids then, this is to me far more important, mainly i guess as time passes we try harder to get things right. For me the last 10yrs has been the best musicly & socialy, i can tell you the records i've heard ( sadly not owned ) & places i've been knock thoes early days ( & i don't say this lightly ) into the proverbial cocked hat. Get to BOOMERANG in may & enjoy the ride thumbsup.gif , Arthur.

Social source share

I dont care about little rooms that much,and if i dj i listen to what been played as best i can and try not to play things that have already been played,25% oldie type things 25% beat ballads 30% things i only play and 20% disco/modern/crossover/mush but usualy no one as played em,what folks do after me i cant control.but all originals and i cant afford the big tunes so cant do a lot about that.bit of something for all tastes....thats it for me on this thread.biggrin.gif

Social source share

Ooerr that didn't take long did it boys.

Right then seeing as I threw the cat amongst the pigeons (along with many others on this thread) I best reply to you both.

Firstly Paul. My post to you was tongue in cheek & maybe I should have included the odd smiley in it to make that obvious to you. Just found it quite funny that of all the people on the thread you chose to reply to you picked Roger who is one of the top 2K Modern Soul DJ's in this Country. Sure now you know who he is you can see the irony in it now, least I hope so.

BTW I'm not called Ianlaugh.gif You ain't the first & probably not the last to make that mistake.

Roger, Agree with what you & Paul are saying even though you are coming from different angles of the Soul music spectrum. Now't like a bit of good old fashioned fire in folk's bellies to stoke things up & good to see you both posess it in bucketloads (cue deniallaugh.gif).

Anyway instead of all the usual comments like New, Old, Rare, Cheap, Underplayed, Overplayed can we not just call it good music???

Oh what the hell I'm off to EMS. Far more fun on there now everyone's up in arms talking about Northern.

Martin, why do people call you Ian?laugh.gif

We got into the room about 10.20 and there was noone in apart from the DJs.

By just after 11.00 it got busy and stayed that way for most of the night.thumbsup.gif

Social source share

That seems a very narrow (and somewhat distorted) assessment of the work Sam puts in to finding/acquiring his records. Sure he deals with JM, but also dozens of other dealers/collectors, from rarest-of-rare people to those specialising in more modern/new releases.

Not really sure what you mean by 'fed' - are you suggesting that he has no ability to judge the quality of a record himself without JM putting it into his hands and told 'go play it!'? Have you ever seen Sam's collection; have you ever heard one of his early spots where he isn't expected to fill a dancefloor?

How many DJs discover uniquely every record they play, i.e. that has never been discovered or played by anyone else before, they find it, they alone play it and they are absolutely, singlehandedly responsible for breaking that record; Butch gets closest to this, but thereafter, almost by definition, others follow - to a greater, or lesser extent.

Like him (or his taste in music) or not, Sam has got one of the longest pedigrees in the history of the NS scene and has very rarely buckled under the, at times massive, pressure to conform to the 'norm' and I would argue that the scene overall is much the richer for his singlemindedness. And hasn't he provided a role model for many of the DJs who came onto the scene well after him and who are now 'big names' who also try to push the boundaries in whatever genre they choose to specialise in?

Fair enough Brian, I got that impression but if that's not the case then I hold my hands up. I like Sam, he's a gentleman and an all round nice guy. I would never book him as a Dj though. But again, that's just my opinion.

Social source share

Appologie accepted but you are mistaken & also so what if!, gota say Phil and this will be the last time i harp on about this, the guy ( & yes he's not the only one ) has put himself in every position to get hold of new records, can you tell me in this day & age what the hell else can anyone do?, sadly the days of tripin over great rare records in any street in america are long gone, if you've got another way please share your secret. Arthur. ps, enjoyed Burnley :smile:

Fair enough Arthur.

Wish I had.

And thanks, it was good to see you there.

Phil.

Social source share

Guest Phoenix8049

Don't know if i would be happy to hear new stuff all night, 2-3 per set would keep me in my comfort zone, BUT if i liked them i would be one of the first up to the decks checking them out :yes:

This seems to be the problem, you have this great divide. oldies night or newies night.

why cant we all have just one room to dance in where you get a little of both.

I was a Dj for 12 years, not Northern but Mainstream Disco Reggae and funk mostly.

you try to play a bit of everything and TRY to please everybody.

yes you play a few sounds everybody knows, pack the floor out,and then slip in a newie.

some people are so happy dancing that they will stay up for it.

yes you will lose a few off the floor, but that gives them an excuse to take a breather and sit and listen to

the newies.

next time you play it you get an even better reaction to it.

unless of course its down and out crap.

thats the way i have always known Djs to work it anyway.

I can understand DJs with all there new records itching to play them ALL to the world in one go.

They need to slow down a bit and just break a few newies in at a time.

Whats the rush, besides the scene will keep going longer that way.

Social source share

Guest fryer

This seems to be the problem, you have this great divide. oldies night or newies night.

why cant we all have just one room to dance in where you get a little of both.

I was a Dj for 12 years, not Northern but Mainstream Disco Reggae and funk mostly.

you try to play a bit of everything and TRY to please everybody.

yes you play a few sounds everybody knows, pack the floor out,and then slip in a newie.

some people are so happy dancing that they will stay up for it.

yes you will lose a few off the floor, but that gives them an excuse to take a breather and sit and listen to

the newies.

next time you play it you get an even better reaction to it.

unless of course its down and out crap.

thats the way i have always known Djs to work it anyway.

I can understand DJs with all there new records itching to play them ALL to the world in one go.

They need to slow down a bit and just break a few newies in at a time.

Whats the rush, besides the scene will keep going longer that way.

The problem with that is the oldies crowd JUST want to relive their youth and the newies crowd want to hear exciting records they have not heard before. i could handle hearing a few good oldies no problem and already do this at soul spectrum, we keep soulys, civilains, oldy and newies all happy enough to enjoy their night. If you want to hear one sound then go somewhere else. Its popular and the music is good and varied.

To Sams credit hes one of the few big soul djs going through all the funk guys boxes with an open mind looking for stuff for him. He was right in there are at prestatyn checking out stuff he does not know. Dyson and a few other were in there also, but many big name djs wont even look for fear of admiting they don't know something. If you know it all it's time to hang up your headphones.

Edited by fryer
Social source share

I can see all sides of what people are saying on this thread :D

I can't speak for my partner Ian, as he will have his own views...........................Myself, I do enjoy a good oldies night, but i would like to hear more underplayed tracks, sometimes i feel the music is a bit too safe & you do tend to hear the same few songs everywhere you go, when there is so many old 60's tunes that dont ever get played :no: & if a dj did put something on that i have not heard before, it could be a bonus!............as i might find something else that i like :thumbsup:

A couple of weeks ago, we went to the Bar Life at Skegg...................Superb choice of oldies, mixed with some rare & underplayed music from Coops, Ian G & Ian Parker :lol: It was that good, i was laid up for 2 weeks after :D

Debbie x

Edited by parkash
Social source share

Wasn't gonna get involved in this, because to my mind every ones entitled to enjoy what they enjoy, but will say we travel 100's of miles every week end to hear our music,if it was the same batch of records every week,just wouldn't bother.

Been in,on, around the scene for 35 + years, have always wanted to hear things that where new to me,that's the buzz,always looking for the next hit.Then the hunt to find a copy.

Just can't get my head around people who feel the need to hear only records they've heard/danced to a 1000 times before,and dismiss new things because they dont know them.

There are some really fantastic things turning up all the time,and IMO alot are to be found in the side rooms and smaller venues.

Agree with the statement that many of the big boys have a need to drive the dance floor in the main rooms of the bigger nighters,dont really have a problem with that,as i feel any one room nighter these days will struggle to please all the peeps all the time,how ever do feel some of the new stuff needs deck time.

Please do yourself a favor and try and catch some of the guy's who IMO are so hot at the minute they is smoking. Our future i believe is in there hands,their fresh,passionate,and believe in their music, guy's like big George, Gareth x, the Ripolles bros,Adam leaver, etc, try a visit to any of the soul or nothing does,room with a view,back room at bentink,thorne,up stairs at natwitch,little room at metro dome, etc theres lots of great music played in these and many others around the country.

Another very good point that came up in conversation on sat night mo and me had with Paul s, our top flight dj's get bookings abroad,very few of the young guns from the continent get bookings here.

why? you just need to take a look at their play lists,listen to their pod cast's, these guys are really ahead of the game!!!!

In many way's i feel their leaving us behind,they dont pigeon hole records like we do,they dont have the history we do, they play to far younger crowds then we do, and the younger crowd love the up tempo,soul they serve up.maybe, just maybe if some of the same was filter in , in the UK we just might attract and keep young blood.

But most of all enjoy what this scene gives us, great friendships,great music and a lifetime of memories.

And remember most if not all of these records are oldies anyway and the hot box choon in the side room is next years main room play!!!!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

what about this for a point of view. When i was getting into this music more and going to venues almost 10 years or so all your over played tunes then was new to me so now all the tunes i have heard too much since then that are over played to me are a new person's new tune who is getting into the music from now or last year say.

Social source share

what about this for a point of view. When i was getting into this music more and going to venues almost 10 years or so all your over played tunes then was new to me so now all the tunes i have heard too much since then that are over played to me are a new person's new tune who is getting into the music from now or last year say.

This is so true.

After 30+ years on the "scene" i will admit to not knowing about 75% of the sounds that are being played at the moment, as i would normally go to places where i know that i would hear what i wanted to hear, maybe a bit single minded but it's kept me happy, like i have said previously though as a collector if i heard something i didn't know that i liked i would be up to the decks to check it out, and try to find a copy, (price and wife permitting of course).

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert