Free Angela - Golden Triangle Records - Protest Album

330308175597.jpg

Anybody know how many were pressed / advertising / how much did it contribute to the campaign / who first discovered / brought the album back over here ????

Quick story below :

Activist, author and tenured professor.

Former member of the Black Panthers and the Communist party.

In 1970 was on the FBI's most wanted list.

In 1970, Davis was implicated in an aborted prison escape in Northern California; she was accused of supplying the gun that killed four people during the incident. An intense police search drove her underground, and she became subject of a nationwide manhunt that resulted in 16 months of imprisonment. After an international "Free Angela Davis" campaign, she was acquitted of the charges in 1972.

In 1969 she was removed from her teaching position at UCLA as a result of her membership of the Communist Party. Then-governor Ronald Reagan swore she would never teach in the University of California system again.

Joined the Communist Party when Martin Luther King was assassinated in 1968, and ran for U.S. Vice President on the Communist Party ticket in 1980.

g.gif

Social source share

• Replies 14
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

330308175597.jpg

Anybody know how many were pressed / advertising / how much did it contribute to the campaign / who first discovered / brought the album back over here ????

I don't know about who 'discovered' this LP, but back in the late 70's there were quite a few copies of this in a cut out shop in Doncaster - it was around the time Frank Dell's "He broke your game wide open" started getting played.

I remember getting a copy of each album from there. So I'd assume it was just some importer who shipped them over along with other various LPs, not particularly someone brought this particular LP over.

They were 50 pence ish or thereabouts as I recall?

Social source share

I don't know about who 'discovered' this LP, but back in the late 70's there were quite a few copies of this in a cut out shop in Doncaster - it was around the time Frank Dell's "He broke your game wide open" started getting played.

I remember getting a copy of each album from there. So I'd assume it was just some importer who shipped them over along with other various LPs, not particularly someone brought this particular LP over.

sad.gif bargain !!!

Social source share

Anyone know the track listing

TRACKLISTING:

Side A: Free Angela (Larry Saunders), This World (Larry Saunders), Old Uncle Tom Is Dead (Nitroglycerine), Where Did Peace Go (Lary Saunders)

Side B: Nobody Knows (Dickie Wonder), I Can Be (Brother Love), Baby Can't You See (Tyrone Thomas), Paradise (Judd Watkins), Geraldine Jones (Soul Encyclopedia)

wink.gif

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

Ah yes, the shop next to the entrance to the Arndale, was it Bradleys ? They also had the L.P. with "Hang up your hang ups" on it.

What was the name of the shop in Scarborough where we all got Skull Snaps and Voices of East Harlem L.P's in quantity from ?

Social source share

Ah yes, the shop next to the entrance to the Arndale, was it Bradleys ? They also had the L.P. with "Hang up your hang ups" on it.

What was the name of the shop in Scarborough where we all got Skull Snaps and Voices of East Harlem L.P's in quantity from ?

That's sounds about right, but it was the one upstairs I was thinking of - didn't they also have one downstairs as well... or was that another shop?

Can't say as I was aware of the Scarborough shop you mentioned - both my VOEH albums were market jobs and the Skull Snaps was from a dealer somewhere - maybe Snaith or around that time, that one cost me about a fiver though!laugh.gif

Social source share

That's sounds about right, but it was the one upstairs I was thinking of - didn't they also have one downstairs as well... or was that another shop?

Can't say as I was aware of the Scarborough shop you mentioned - both my VOEH albums were market jobs and the Skull Snaps was from a dealer somewhere - maybe Snaith or around that time, that one cost me about a fiver though!:laugh:

BRADLEYS DOWNSTAIRS AT THE ENTRANCE OF ST SEPULCHRE GATE, ONLY ONE I CAN REMEMBER UPSTAIRS WAS FOX'S.

BRI PINCH

SUNDAY CHILLOUT@HORSE AND GROOM, 25TH APRIL, EAST LAITH GATE, DONCASTER.

Social source share

there was a free angela lp for sale on doncaster indoor market a couple of years ago. this ginger haired bloke had load of soul imports and uk motown at £2 each so i mopped him up.this lp was stuck on the wall but he`d got £30 on it for some reason so i left it. i did take jesse fisher on way out ,ideals on boogaloo and a uk come spy with me and loads of other bits tho so not too sad

dave

Social source share

BRADLEYS DOWNSTAIRS AT THE ENTRANCE OF ST SEPULCHRE GATE, ONLY ONE I CAN REMEMBER UPSTAIRS WAS FOX'S.

BRI PINCH

SUNDAY CHILLOUT@HORSE AND GROOM, 25TH APRIL, EAST LAITH GATE, DONCASTER.

Possibly Fox's Bri - They had two places didn't they? (One of them that just sold musical instruments)

I'm sure it was an upstairs shop, I'll have to ask Dean Roach when I see him as I think he got one or both of these albums also.

Actually I think he comes on here, maybe he'll reply?yes.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert