My Mind Holds On To Yesterday

Just reading through the history on the Shiptown Records website & found this about Barbara Stant - My Mind Holds On To Yesterday '

'Circumstances surrounding this particular 45 are stranger than any other release on the label. The original 45 pressed up at the time was assigned the label catalogue number # 203276. Some years later, when the single became a much sought after item with UK Northern Soul fans a second version of the 45 appeared. This featured different mixes of the tracks & had the catalogue number # 70822 ( a numbering sequence never used by Shiptown). On this later version there is a note on the label under the song title, it says FAST.'

Does anyone have any information about this, I was totally unaware that there were different mixes & from the comments above, so were Shiptown, does anyone have the 2 copies or to confirm this, how do the versions differ & can anyone post the versions in refrosoul.

4059950116.jpg

I found this scan on Popsike, that states that this was one of 3 copies they found in the backroom of thier store & that its old store stock, it obviously has the 'FAST' written on the label.

I'm intrigued, can anyone shed any light on this pse.

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

• Replies 50
  • Views 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Apparently if I remember the story correctly the owners of Shiptown lost ownership for some time and the new owners put out the remix, the one shown in the scan. The original definately slower and the second has added brass (I think)....it has some added instruments. The one on the Ol Virginia is the second release. John Smith done an extensive story on the RSF.

Social source share

Apparently if I remember the story correctly the owners of Shiptown lost ownership for some time and the new owners put out the remix, the one shown in the scan. The original definately slower and the second has added brass (I think)....it has some added instruments. The one on the Ol Virginia is the second release. John Smith done an extensive story on the RSF.

Cheers mate.

Russ

Social source share

The Ol Virginia Soul one is superb, brilliant record. Interesting stuff!

Whats a realistic value on this nowadays?

The Ol VA Soul comp has the 'fast' version, this was put out at a later date by Charlie Amos Hunter (who was the drummer with the Positive Sounds who were on backing) through Dish a Tune Ltd in NYC. I believe this version is a different mix with added strings & could be a bit faster, hence 'fast' under the title credits, essentially this is a reissue or boot I would have thought, although Nimbig Publishing was Noah Biggs (the label ownwer) publishing company, Shiptown did not have anything to do with the release as far as I know. You would think this would be reasonable money, but it has gone for a few hundred in recent years, I think because folk assume its the original issue.

If anyone has a sound file of the original Shiptown release could they please post inRefrosoul.

Thanks to John Smith ( & Chalky for pointing me in the right direction) who's post on RSF helped fill some of my missing gaps, although would love to know when the remix came out.

Realistic value, not sure about the remix, but I would imagine the original Shiptown release is pretty rare & would fetch a couple o ton plus.

Russ

Social source share

You would think this would be reasonable money, but it has gone for a few hundred in recent years, I think because folk assume its the original issue.

Russ

Just checked my copy which i've had for a few years and it's the fast version :thumbsup: Bought it thinking it was an original :hatsoff2: You live and learn.

soulmac.

Social source share

The Ol VA Soul comp has the 'fast' version, this was put out at a later date by Charlie Amos Hunter (who was the drummer with the Positive Sounds who were on backing) through Dish a Tune Ltd in NYC. I believe this version is a different mix with added strings & could be a bit faster, hence 'fast' under the title credits, essentially this is a reissue or boot I would have thought, although Nimbig Publishing was Noah Biggs (the label ownwer) publishing company, Shiptown did not have anything to do with the release as far as I know. You would think this would be reasonable money, but it has gone for a few hundred in recent years, I think because folk assume its the original issue.

If anyone has a sound file of the original Shiptown release could they please post inRefrosoul.

Thanks to John Smith ( & Chalky for pointing me in the right direction) who's post on RSF helped fill some of my missing gaps, although would love to know when the remix came out.

Realistic value, not sure about the remix, but I would imagine the original Shiptown release is pretty rare & would fetch a couple o ton plus.

Russ

I was under the impression Dish a Tune/Charlie Amos Hunter owned the rights having bought them from Biggs? Biggs later buying them back?? I'll have to go and read the story again. I thought there was a date for the re-issue or at least a clue with the time Biggs lost ownership?

Social source share

I was under the impression Dish a Tune/Charlie Amos Hunter owned the rights having bought them from Biggs? Biggs later buying them back?? I'll have to go and read the story again. I thought there was a date for the re-issue or at least a clue with the time Biggs lost ownership?

I cannot find any information with regards to what happened to the ownership of Shiptown/Howbig Records after Noah Biggs died in 1978, however when I was talking to Ida Sands regularly when I lived in Va, the impression I got was that she owned the rights, I really do not know if that was the case though. The theory behind the BS MMHOTY, is that Charles Amos Hunter from the Positive Sounds took the Master Tape to Dish a Tunes in NYC, this would have been late 7ts as they were the house band at Shiptown/How Big until the end, the Positive Sounds recorded for DAT in NYC, also the added credits to the 'Fast' version of BS, all point to the involvement of Charles Amos Hunter, even takes sole writing credits !.

So c'mon, whats the story with this...........anyone else shed any light on the subject of the remixed version & the release date ???.

Russ

Social source share

be interesting to find out just who did own the rights between Biggs passing away and he son regaining control. Was it Ida Sands or Charles Amos Hunter? I wonder if Charles Amos Hunter being the sole credit on the track did have the rights to do as he wished once Noah Biggs passed?

from the history page of the Shiptown site (John Smith's words)....

The label's activities were slowing anyway, but Noah Biggs death in 1978 signaled the end of the line for the organization. None of Frank Guida's roster was still enjoying hits, Wilson and Jerry Williams had moved on to progress their recording careers elsewhere and even Lenis Guess was ready to up sticks and head out to New York. The 'Norfolk Sound' had run its course.

With Shiptown in disarray, Barbara took a break. She then teamed up with a jazz band and started to sing again for a few live shows locally. But things just weren't the same for her and so she went back to her roots in the church. Control of the recording studio and catalogue slipped away from the family and that could have been the end for Shiptown. But record collectors started to unearth the label's old 45's and those that found favour were soon commanding high prices. Howard Biggs moved on in life and pursued his own career path. 25 years on though, he discovered the unending interest in his father's record label. He managed to get control of the label back after realizing that it was something worth owning.

Social source share

The label's activities were slowing anyway, but Noah Biggs death in 1978 signaled the end of the line for the organization. None of Frank Guida's roster was still enjoying hits, Wilson and Jerry Williams had moved on to progress their recording careers elsewhere and even Lenis Guess was ready to up sticks and head out to New York. The 'Norfolk Sound' had run its course.

With Shiptown in disarray, Barbara took a break. She then teamed up with a jazz band and started to sing again for a few live shows locally. But things just weren't the same for her and so she went back to her roots in the church. Control of the recording studio and catalogue slipped away from the family and that could have been the end for Shiptown. But record collectors started to unearth the label's old 45's and those that found favour were soon commanding high prices. Howard Biggs moved on in life and pursued his own career path. 25 years on though, he discovered the unending interest in his father's record label. He managed to get control of the label back after realizing that it was something worth owning.

It would appear that once he died the label ownership was under control of others, not the family. Whether Charles Amos Hunter from the Positive Sounds and/or Dish a Tunes had the right to press and publish the 2nd version is still up for debate? It would be 25 years before the ownership was back in the hands of the family.

But who did ownership move to ?, Ida told me herself, that she had master tapes in the garage (she always promised to show me, but we never got around to it), Ida also told me, that when the shop on Church St closed, a prominent local DJ helped himself to a lot of stock etc, before anyone could stop him, I think this was when Noah passed away, this guy still works for a local Gospel station in Norfolk. I contacted him & he told me he still had stuff from Shiptown, however could never nail him down to go look, a couple of years later, a local collector in Va, confirmed the story, but when he visited the DJ after being fobbed off for months & months (in the end he waited on the guys doorstep until he showed up !) there was nothing there at all, so what happened to the stuff he took is anyones guess !.

Russ

Social source share

be interesting to find out just who did own the rights between Biggs passing away and he son regaining control. Was it Ida Sands or Charles Amos Hunter? I wonder if Charles Amos Hunter being the sole credit on the track did have the rights to do as he wished once Noah Biggs passed?

He isnt the sole credit on the original Shiptown release though Chalky, Barbara Stant shares writing credits on the original.

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

He isnt the sole credit on the original Shiptown release though Chalky, Barbara Stant shares writing credits on the original.

Russ

Yeah I read that Russ, slight oversight, didn't help when I saw the track list o the Shiptown site which only shows him as the only credit? Anyone got a scan of the original release, the one that doesn't show fast on it. Seen it at Andy D's but can't remember the details.

Social source share

it has gone for a few hundred in recent years, I think because folk assume its the original issue.

...or because it's a great record that doesn't exactly crop up on sales lists every week. :ph34r:The original issue's obviously different (not heard it personally so can't compare) but every time I played the 'fast' version it went down a storm. Did they really satisfy northern scene demand for it in the 70's by doing this issue....was it that big a tune, because it doesn't seem like it was a huge NS record, could be wrong? Seldom heard it out...infact think Dyson was the only guy I heard play it. Got legs this one, as they say.

Social source share

Russ, I don't know anything about the Shiptown label (honest) but if you're on your scooter down Lee on Solent way this avvy pop in the Coastie Rescue Station and I'll sort us a brew and we can talk shop. Best, Lee

Would love to Lee, but I'm in Baghdad (long story lol !!!)...........wadaya doing in L-O-S mate ?.

Russ

Social source share

...or because it's a great record that doesn't exactly crop up on sales lists every week. ph34r.gifThe original issue's obviously different (not heard it personally so can't compare) but every time I played the 'fast' version it went down a storm. Did they really satisfy northern scene demand for it in the 70's by doing this issue....was it that big a tune, because it doesn't seem like it was a huge NS record, could be wrong? Seldom heard it out...infact think Dyson was the only guy I heard play it. Got legs this one, as they say.

Yeah, I think its a great record too Jason, just want to work out all of the why's n where forths........I'm not of the opinion this was done for the NS scene personally (the Fast version), but just want to find out the story really, as I have an interest in Shiptown/Howbig Records. A few people have played it off & on, but as you say, I think it hasnt reached its full potential by any means.

Russ

Social source share

I believe this version [...] could be a bit faster, hence 'fast' under the title credits

The reason that it says "fast" under the title is most likely just to alert radio DJs that it is an uptempo tune. The same goes for the flipside which has got "slow" under its title to alert that it is a ballad side, and not that it is a "slower" version.

Would be great if someone can post up scans, soundfiles and matrix details of both tunes on the 45 that hasn't got "fast"/"slow" on the labels, so we can put this one to bed. :lol:

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Yeah, I think its a great record too Jason, just want to work out all of the why's n where forths........I'm not of the opinion this was done for the NS scene personally (the Fast version), but just want to find out the story really, as I have an interest in Shiptown/Howbig Records. A few people have played it off & on, but as you say, I think it hasnt reached its full potential by any means.

Russ

no way was this done for the scene, the Guy who had the masters had probably never heard of Northern Soul. He was probably just trying to make some money. I never hear this out so deffo yet to have its day and p*sses all over some of the second rate 70's I hear out.

Social source share

for sure is a great great record for the nowdays scene!!!

i've an other barbara stant 45 nice double sider "I'm Going to Outfit You Baby b/w Baby I Love You" and recently an other one from her have some good spins also thanks to ian wright communication power/fancy "real man"

Social source share

no way was this done for the scene, the Guy who had the masters had probably never heard of Northern Soul. He was probably just trying to make some money. I never hear this out so deffo yet to have its day and p*sses all over some of the second rate 70's I hear out.

Agree......thumbsup.gif

Russ

Social source share

i've an other barbara stant 45 nice double sider "I'm Going to Outfit You Baby b/w Baby I Love You" and recently an other one from her have some good spins also thanks to ian wright communication power/fancy "real man"

There's a CD due/out shortly, on Soulscape i think, which could incluse unreleased material............

Russ

Social source share

Killer funk tune ' Im Gonna Outfit You Baby 'always been her best tune IMHO .

Social source share

Killer funk tune ' Im Gonna Outfit You Baby 'always been her best tune IMHO .

I love everything I have heard by her, she has a marvellous voice, but I have a soft spot for 'You Know I love you'...........I actually bought a spare copy of this & gave it to Bearsy, I just wanted him to hear it, its bloody fanatastic & I'm not a big lover of ballads, but this really does it for me big time.

Wish I had bought all the copies I found in Richmond, instead of just picking up a handful.........

Russ

Social source share

ahah about "outfit" i prefer the the flip however yeaaa great double sider....mmm Russ can you post a clip...if someone have a spare of "my minds...." i'll pick up...but i'm need a bit of time to raise up new money for my vinyl hatsoff2.gif

Social source share

Guest BROADWAY

Hello mates.

Just sold the original version on Ebay: Barbara Stant "My mind holds on to yesterday" It went for $245.87 , Condition was a very nice VG

I have both versions of this record. My opinion is, I like the original version better. It seems to have more depth. The reprint version is a tad faster and of course has the strings added. I believe all they did was to speed it up a little, as the original is 3:08 minutes and the repress is 3:00 minutes. Either way it is a great record.

Anyone who knows anything about Shiptown Records label knows that all original pressings have 6 digits. I'll say no more.

I hope I have been of some help clearing up the mystery of this record. I will try to post scans of both and possibly a 30 second sound clip of both.

As a native New Yorker raised in the South South Bronx I spent most of my summers as a child on the Island of Bermuda (Mom is Bermudian) where I learned to love the sound of the word Mate.

Ernest

Social source share

Hello mates.

Just sold the original version on Ebay: Barbara Stant "My mind holds on to yesterday" It went for $245.87 , Condition was a very nice VG

I have both versions of this record. My opinion is, I like the original version better. It seems to have more depth. The reprint version is a tad faster and of course has the strings added. I believe all they did was to speed it up a little, as the original is 3:08 minutes and the repress is 3:00 minutes. Either way it is a great record.

Anyone who knows anything about Shiptown Records label knows that all original pressings have 6 digits. I'll say no more.

I hope I have been of some help clearing up the mystery of this record. I will try to post scans of both and possibly a 30 second sound clip of both.

As a native New Yorker raised in the South South Bronx I spent most of my summers as a child on the Island of Bermuda (Mom is Bermudian) where I learned to love the sound of the word Mate.

Ernest

Hi Ernest (mate)

Do you own the store in Portsmouth VA ?, I was gutted as I got sniped on the BS on ebay, one of my big 'wants' too.............if it wasnt a sigle copy PM me, likewise if you have any other Barbara Stant discs, welcome to SS & thank you for posting, look forward to the scans & clips.

Russ

Social source share

Guest BROADWAY

Hi Russ.

Yes it's me in the flesh, from the concrete jungle of New York City to the Island paradise of Bermuda to the Funky streets of Portsmouth Virginia. Yes I own Broadway Records in P-Town.

That was my only copy right now. I have a near mint copy of the fast version of "My mind" and a beat up vg minus copy of " Unsatisfied woman / "You know I love you " but it's a funny thing this record "Unsatisfied woman" is mis-labeled on the A side, instead of Barbara Stant it lists Jean Battle, but it is really Barbara Stant.

My favorite Barbara Stant is "You know I love you" and "He's still your man" as I love the sweet soul ballads filled with emotion.

I have retired from DJaying but I sure miss it. I would play tunes that no one had and people would come up to my booth wanting to know who that was and where they could get it . I just enjoy making other people happy. My D.J. name was "Broadway" as I was born a few blocks off Broadway in Manhattan N.Y.C. and have always been fascinated by the the bright lights. One day I hope to get back to DJaying.

Talking about brite lites (showing off a little hear, but it's all fun) I think I sold the only 2 45's ever of the Mark IV "If you can't tell me something good / take this love" on Brite Lite Records. Please let me know if this is true.

I was told about your site(soul-source) by Howard ReNardo Biggs of Shiptown Records, and I am thankfull to him. I have been known to spend a small fortune on a record that I don't have. I am a collector of sweet soul ballads. Now I can hear samples of records that I never knew existed and can sample them before I bid. I am checking out the Sam Dees right now as I don't have them. One of my all time favorite albums is Sam Dees "The show must go on"

This is a great site. I am sorry you missed out on the Barbara Stant 45, hopefully another one will show up soon.

I am now understanding the meaning of the phase "gutted" which is new to me.

I have to ask, do any northern soulers have their own cricket team? That would be a hell of a combination.

Take care Russ and all my friends on Soul Source. Keep up the good work, I just love it!!!

Ernest (Broadway Records), Classicsoundz on Ebay

Social source share

Hi Russ.

Yes it's me in the flesh, from the concrete jungle of New York City to the Island paradise of Bermuda to the Funky streets of Portsmouth Virginia. Yes I own Broadway Records in P-Town.

That was my only copy right now. I have a near mint copy of the fast version of "My mind" and a beat up vg minus copy of " Unsatisfied woman / "You know I love you " but it's a funny thing this record "Unsatisfied woman" is mis-labeled on the A side, instead of Barbara Stant it lists Jean Battle, but it is really Barbara Stant.

My favorite Barbara Stant is "You know I love you" and "He's still your man" as I love the sweet soul ballads filled with emotion.

I have retired from DJaying but I sure miss it. I would play tunes that no one had and people would come up to my booth wanting to know who that was and where they could get it . I just enjoy making other people happy. My D.J. name was "Broadway" as I was born a few blocks off Broadway in Manhattan N.Y.C. and have always been fascinated by the the bright lights. One day I hope to get back to DJaying.

Talking about brite lites (showing off a little hear, but it's all fun) I think I sold the only 2 45's ever of the Mark IV "If you can't tell me something good / take this love" on Brite Lite Records. Please let me know if this is true.

I was told about your site(soul-source) by Howard ReNardo Biggs of Shiptown Records, and I am thankfull to him. I have been known to spend a small fortune on a record that I don't have. I am a collector of sweet soul ballads. Now I can hear samples of records that I never knew existed and can sample them before I bid. I am checking out the Sam Dees right now as I don't have them. One of my all time favorite albums is Sam Dees "The show must go on"

This is a great site. I am sorry you missed out on the Barbara Stant 45, hopefully another one will show up soon.

I am now understanding the meaning of the phase "gutted" which is new to me.

I have to ask, do any northern soulers have their own cricket team? That would be a hell of a combination.

Take care Russ and all my friends on Soul Source. Keep up the good work, I just love it!!!

Ernest (Broadway Records), Classicsoundz on Ebay

Hi Ernest

When I lived in VA Beach I would visit your store quite regularly (& the thrift shop round the corner !). As I remember, there were very few 45's & mostly LP's & 12's, I think you said the 45's were in storeage until you could sort them ?. I bought some great albums from you & a few 45's that you would keep in a little box near to the counter, on the whole these were lesser condition, but I still found an odd gem.

'You Know I Love You' is a personal fave of mine too. Mark IV is a hard record for sure, but other copies have shown up over the years.

Ernest if you would like to sell the 'Fast' version of Barbara Stant, I will buy it, just PM me or email at russvuptownsoul@msn.com & we can negotiate a price.

I'm so pleased you have found the site & are enjoying it, the store gave me many happy hours of digging in Portsmouth, VA. BTW W e have a mutual friend in Brent Hossier, who first told me about your store, I must contact Brent as its been too long.

Thanks for posting here & I look forward to hearing from you & reading any other contributions you make on the site.

Russ

Social source share

Guest BROADWAY

Barbara Stant "My mind holds on to yesterday"

Through my research , The time between the release of the two versions is about a little less than two years. So the way I feel about this record is it is an original. It is an original remix of the original pressing, not a repress of the original pressing. So it is an original press. I'm not even sure I am making any sense. ???

All I'm trying to say is if you bought the the fast version you were not ripped off (GUTTED) . You bought an original remix of a great record. Where are you going to find the original version?

Ernest (Broadway)

Social source share

Barbara Stant "My mind holds on to yesterday"

Through my research , The time between the release of the two versions is about a little less than two years. So the way I feel about this record is it is an original. It is an original remix of the original pressing, not a repress of the original pressing. So it is an original press. I'm not even sure I am making any sense. ???

All I'm trying to say is if you bought the the fast version you were not ripped off (GUTTED) . You bought an original remix of a great record. Where are you going to find the original version?

Ernest (Broadway)

Exactly. Difference between a reissue and a 'remix' or version. The 'fast' version is the original issue of that version. A great it is, too.

Social source share

Guest BROADWAY

I'd still really like to know the story about the Grooms on Shiptown, I'd guess it was pressed from tapes during the period when the label fell into the mysterious other party's hands but no-one I've spoken to seems to really know.

I'd like to know the story about the Grooms on Shiptown and this will be my next project. Sweet soul track? I will win the next copy so help me. And then we can talk.

Social source share

ahah about "outfit" i prefer the the flip however yeaaa great double sider....mmm Russ can you post a clip...if someone have a spare of "my minds...." i'll pick up...but i'm need a bit of time to raise up new money for my vinyl :yes:

Sure I have 3copies of " My mind holds on to yesterday( Fast) Shiptown'

2 of Found me a realman/ you've got to try it again,,Shiptown

Social source share

Not true, never lost control,business was in limbo for legal reasons.

Also, the 1st version was never really distubuted only 200 were ever pressed and gave away,because Mr. N. Biggs/Hunter wanted to add

strings for a richer sound! No , the second or 1st wasn't done by any phantom later on. their about 14months apart , #s are different only because the pressing Co. mistakingly used their sequences instead of S.Towns.

[]post-16245-12706070227038_thumb.jpg] I have both in mint

post-16245-12706070886123_thumb.jpg

post-16245-12706071530077_thumb.jpg] and I still have the masters......good day mates!

post-16245-12706070227038_thumb.jpg

post-16245-12706070886123_thumb.jpg

post-16245-12706071530077_thumb.jpg

Edited by shiptown
Social source share

I'd still really like to know the story about the Grooms on Shiptown, I'd guess it was pressed from tapes during the period when the label fell into the mysterious other party's hands but no-one I've spoken to seems to really know.

Grooms record was released late 77, no mysterious hands just shiptowns

post-16245-12706082949531_thumb.jpg

6months after they signedpost-16245-12706088045354_thumb.jpg

Mr biggs didnt die til late78,

performing that same song live in early feb.78post-16245-12706084442022_thumb.jpg

good day!

post-16245-12706084442022_thumb.jpg

post-16245-12706088045354_thumb.jpg

Edited by shiptown
Social source share

Good to hear from you Shiptown and welcome to soul source. Who did issue the fast version of My Mind Holds Onto Yesterday? What you say here and what is said on the Shiptown site don't quite add up?

You are right!

Just read it completely, and the info is not correct on site. When interviewed for the article i did not say that.

So when it was complete I just posted it on the site, not knowing any assumptions or additions would have been added

I guess he was assuming. That's why it's not there anymore

Thanks you for bringing to my attention

Church St. live

Social source share

You are right!

Just read it completely, and the info is not correct on site. When interviewed for the article i did not say that.

So when it was complete I just posted it on the site, not knowing any assumptions or additions would have been added

I guess he was assuming. That's why it's not there anymore

Thanks you for bringing to my attention

Ps. Would you or anyone know the value of the Anglos' original Shiptown' Since you've been gone?

post-16245-1270678138265_thumb.jpg

Church St. live

Social source share

Grooms record was released late 77, no mysterious hands just shiptowns

6months after they signedpost-16245-12706088045354_thumb.jpg

Mr biggs didnt die til late78,

performing that same song live in early feb.78post-16245-12706084442022_thumb.jpg

good day!

Wow! Thanks a lot. Great to see the photos.

In my opinion, both sides of the Grooms record are 10 out of 10 in their own way.

Social source share

Guest BROADWAY

This is great! Shiptown Is on the case! It's about time this all came to light.

My want list.

I need a copy of the Grooms "Since You Been Gone" , does anybody have a copy ?

I just love Barbara Stant! Does anybody have A clean copy of "You know I love you" ?

I also need 'Al Glover and Gloria' " Till the end of time"

I am willing to trade or buy it straight out.

Ernest

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert