Earl Jackson On Lebanese Abc Label

Pete S

• Replies 20
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

This was put up for sale a week or so ago. I seem to recall the opening bid required was £500. Looks like it sold for £500 after 22 bids??? Strange.

https://www.popsike.c...0521190592.html

I have been after a real Earl Jackson but wasn't sure if this was a 70's release made at the same time as the UK 70's release to meet Northern Soul demand over here.

Personally, wouldn't buy this 45 with that doubt in my mind and at that price.

Edited by bo diddley
Social source share

This was put up for sale a week or so ago. I seem to recall the opening bid required was £500. Looks like it sold for £500 after 22 bids??? Strange.

https://www.popsike.c...0521190592.html

I have been after a real Earl Jackson but wasn't sure if this was a 70's release made at the same time as the UK 70's release to meet Northern Soul demand over here.

Personally, wouldn't buy this 45 with that doubt in my mind and at that price.

Wonder how many copies he has as this is the same seller. :tumbleweed3:

Social source share

Pete,

why all the excitement? personally i'm dubious, isn't this a 1976 press? Just seen, seller says it's 60s.

Quick search of the Lebonese Distributor brought up a 1975 "Belly Dancing" album..

Remembering the original Earl Jackson is a 1968 release, I'd need a little more proof it's 1968 other than civil war.

John

Edited by john manship
Social source share

Pete,

why all the excitement? personally i'm dubious, isn't this a 1976 press? Just seen, seller says it's 60s.

Quick search of the Lebonese Distributor brought up a 1975 "Belly Dancing" album..

Remembering the original Earl Jackson is a 1968 release, I'd need a little more proof it's 1968 other than civil war.

John

No, I'm sure it'll be 60's - I had an Eddie Holman "I Surrender" on Lebanese ABC off the same guy a year or two back, looked just like this one.

Social source share

No, I'm sure it'll be 60's - I had an Eddie Holman "I Surrender" on Lebanese ABC off the same guy a year or two back, looked just like this one.

Pete,

wow, 1968 matches up then. For the oddity collectors this is a very exciting piece, indeed.

john

Social source share

I have posted a couple of Lebanese 45s on here,cbs with centre's so why is this lebanese ? looks belgium to me.....didnt someone say BIEM is french ? french made for export maybe.

Edited by ken
Social source share

I'm sure Mick Holdsworth had one of those Eddie Holmans for sale a couple of years ago - I remember seeing it at the Connaught. Quite disctinctive memory as Sandi stuck it up her blouse at one point!!

He was selling it for about £50 as I recall. Think you were there that night as well Pete.

There was no rush to buy that one.

The Earl Jackson is a bit different but I still wonder about 60's/70's thing and I'd be reluctant to put a wedge of cash out on it.

Bo Diddley

(tight-wad and cynical git)

Social source share

Probably because it says "Made in Lebanon" on the label Ken rolleyes.gif ....

I was looking through eye's of love........... and couldnt see it because of the cover biggrin.gif

Social source share

laugh.giflaugh.gif

Are you gonna have a punt on it now that you know it's from Lebenon Ken.... I know you like your strange/unlikely country of origin 45s thumbsup.gif ....

All my strange stuff have been strange prices,£1, 50p ,10p etc etc........so certainly not laugh.gif

med_gallery_1986_2633_33269.jpg

Edited by ken
Social source share

A quick search online shows that the company was the country's sole pressing plant; certainly existed in 1964 and signed a licensing deal with Monument in 69; was pressing and distributing for WB possibly late 60s, but definitely early 70s. They also pressed stuff locally for the Barclay label.

Further digging shows that they were co-owned by the Italian RIFI organisation that was centred in Milan. The MD of the Lebanese outfit was called Mario G Haddad.

Social source share

I'm sure Mick Holdsworth had one of those Eddie Holmans for sale a couple of years ago - I remember seeing it at the Connaught. Quite disctinctive memory as Sandi stuck it up her blouse at one point!!

He was selling it for about £50 as I recall. Think you were there that night as well Pete.

There was no rush to buy that one.

I sold mine as soon as I listed it - maybe I sold it to Mick!

Social source share

Just checked.

USA ABC - Earl Jackson - no. 11142

USA ABC - Eddie Holman (I surrender)- no. 11149

Lebanon ABC - Earl Jackson - no. 802

Lebanon ABC - Eddie Holman - no. 807

On that basis with the EJ coming out in USA 7 numbers before EH in the 60's, it seems to tie up with the Leb. EJ being 5 numbers before EH.

Seems pukka but I wouldn't want it! (but I'd still like a USA one!)

(I'll get me anorak on now and try to cop a few more train numbers and Eddie Stobbart lorries before bedtime)

Social source share

there is a chap from over there who has been selling 45's from Lebanon for some years, he told me all the majors released stuff there through one company, I won a few and my American Dollars were never seen again!! nor the records...

Mal.C.wink.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert