Linda Jones

always pondered this one....how many versions of "you hit me ( right where it hurt me )". bearing in mind it has the hallmark of george kerr, could it be possible that the late, great linda jones cut an unissued version?. my reasoning is along the same lines as "last minute miracle", which forwhatever reason, no-one was aware of until recent years and is every bit as good as the shirelles.....any anoraks out there studying at the university of loma?

rob.h

love alice clark but kim weston's is a stormer!

Social source share

• Replies 20
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

always pondered this one....how many versions of "you hit me ( right where it hurt me )". bearing in mind it has the hallmark of george kerr, could it be possible that the late, great linda jones cut an unissued version?. my reasoning is along the same lines as "last minute miracle", which forwhatever reason, no-one was aware of until recent years and is every bit as good as the shirelles.....any anoraks out there studying at the university of loma?

rob.h

love alice clark but kim weston's is a stormer!

"last minute miracle" was on the Loma album 'Hypnotized' so has always been known. Ian Levine even mentioned it in his sleeve notes on 'Solid Soul Sensations' on Pye back in the early 70's when including the Shirelles version (and his preferred version at the time).

Social source share

"last minute miracle" was on the Loma album 'Hypnotized' so has always been known. Ian Levine even mentioned it in his sleeve notes on 'Solid Soul Sensations' on Pye back in the early 70's when including the Shirelles version (and his preferred version at the time).

stand corrected mike,

think it was also on the series of loma reissues that was instigated by dave godin in the 70's......

can you imagine her singing "you hit me" though....WOW!! if it were real, it would be in the northern soul all-time top 5 ABSOLUTELY NO DOUBT WHATSOEVER!!

rob.h

Social source share

stand corrected mike,

think it was also on the series of loma reissues that was instigated by dave godin in the 70's......

can you imagine her singing "you hit me" though....WOW!! if it were real, it would be in the northern soul all-time top 5 ABSOLUTELY NO DOUBT WHATSOEVER!!

rob.h

As much as I love Linda Jones, I actually can't see how she would improve on Alice Clark to be honest.

This is one of these records that in all honesty I have only really properly appreciated in the last 5 years (AC that is), listening to it properly on CD her vocal is just flawless and as a Northern record is almost unbeatable, slowly creeping into my all time top 10 in fact I would say,

Social source share

stand corrected mike,

rob.h

It would be very nice indeed Rob - but any un-issued stuff from her would be fantastic - I'm only aware of one track from her early Atco days that has not seen the light of day.

I'd always hoped that someone would do a proper job of her Loma/Warners stuff - there is enough stuff with the album and non album 45's to make a decent CD.

Mike

Social source share

I think its a fair comment, but agree Alice Clark's version is pretty much perfection already, so difficult to improve on that.

Always imagined the flip "Heavens Will Must Be Obeyed" being sung by Linda.

A stunning 'B' side that is up there with many of Linda Jones greatest ballads.

George Kerr certainly knew how to stretch every ounce of emotion from the artist.

But Lindas family might well say that's not all he was capable of. :lol:

:shades:

Sean

Social source share

As much as I love Linda Jones, I actually can't see how she would improve on Alice Clark to be honest.

This is one of these records that in all honesty I have only really properly appreciated in the last 5 years (AC that is), listening to it properly on CD her vocal is just flawless and as a Northern record is almost unbeatable, slowly creeping into my all time top 10 in fact I would say,

Aye jock. agree , Alice Clark is total perfection and my all time favourite northern cut ,One wonders why there is so much fuss over the instrumentals....

Social source share

It would be very nice indeed Rob - but any un-issued stuff from her would be fantastic - I'm only aware of one track from her early Atco days that has not seen the light of day.

I'd always hoped that someone would do a proper job of her Loma/Warners stuff - there is enough stuff with the album and non album 45's to make a decent CD.

i figure with george kerr having been responsible for the wonderful arrangement on alice's release that he may have tried to enhance it further for linda, perhaps with a bigger orchestra and with ms jones hitting all of those intricate high notes...easy to salivate at the prospect of something special...thats not to say, of course, that alice clark isnt a law unto herself...her catalogue resonates amongst serious collectors. shall we just say then ,that "you hit me" is a pure northern classic?

rob.h

Social source share

Aye jock. agree , Alice Clark is total perfection and my all time favourite northern cut ,One wonders why there is so much fuss over the instrumentals....

That sums it up, "total perfection".

Great taste.

Social source share

A couple of years back WB/Rhino were looking to put together a complete anthology of the Loma label. As well as compiling all the A & B sides into one box set, it was to also include a good trawl through the archives to find any unreleased material.

That though, was a couple of years ago, and I've not heard anything since. As I recall, Rhino laid off a good number of people some months ago, so it's possible that the Loma project was shelved along with any intention to dig in those archives. WB did, of course, recently reissue a number of Loma soul tracks in the States - on 45! This being part of their re-kindled love affair with vinyl.

Is there unreleased material in the Loma archives? Of course there is.

Social source share

A couple of years back WB/Rhino were looking to put together a complete anthology of the Loma label. As well as compiling all the A & B

sides into one box set, it was to also

include a good trawl through the

archives to find any unreleased

material.

Unreleased Loma.... Now that would be worth listening too!

That though, was a couple of years ago, and I've not heard anything since. As I recall, Rhino laid off a good number of people some months ago, so it's possible that the Loma project was shelved along with any intention to dig in those archives. WB did, of course, recently reissue a number of Loma soul tracks in the States - on 45! This being part of their re-kindled love affair with vinyl.

Social source share

A couple of years back WB/Rhino were looking to put together a complete anthology of the Loma label. As well as compiling all the A & B sides into one box set, it was to also include a good trawl through the archives to find any unreleased material.

thats a shame...you'll probably recall as well, that they put out a triple cd set of llorraine ellison's recordings but, i felt at the time it was just too pricey, but you could say the same about hip-oselect...the only thing, and most important thing is, these items are limited edition and highly collectable....as vol.6 of motown 1966 which, has sold for £400+ on ebaY proved.

in time, the ellison collection will be extremely valuable...i wouldnt be at all surprised if its deleted already.....guess the loma project will be viewed the same way as cameo-parkway...an enterprise that proves a bridge too far for the owners of these catalogues...that strikes an all too familiar chord...dosnt it?. THESE PEOPLE WILL GO TO THEIR GRAVES AND STILL DENY US THE RIGHT TO HEAR THE MATERIAL WE YEARN FOR.

rob.h

Social source share

Is there a link to the '45's that were re-issued please ? Many thanks ,Eddie

Social source share

Is there a link to the '45's that were re-issued please ? Many thanks ,Eddie

From what I've read, reissues include The Marvellos, The Soul Shakers & Charles Thomas (although the press release states 'Carl Thomas' - perhaps they meant both Carl Hall and Mr Thomas). Here's a link to the original press announcement, which primarily focuses on their participation at the last WFMU record fair and how they're getting back into vinyl:

Warner Bros story

The bit about the Loma reissues is in the last paragraph or two. The announcement provides a press contact and at the time I did email them for more info on what their plans were. Sorry to say no rely was forthcoming from the WB media room.

Has anyone actually seen or got any of these reissues?

Social source share

From what I've read, reissues include The Marvellos, The Soul Shakers & Charles Thomas (although the press release states 'Carl Thomas' - perhaps they meant both Carl Hall and Mr Thomas). Here's a link to the original press announcement, which primarily focuses on their participation at the last WFMU record fair and how they're getting back into vinyl:

Warner Bros story

The bit about the Loma reissues is in the last paragraph or two. The announcement provides a press contact and at the time I did email them for more info on what their plans were. Sorry to say no rely was forthcoming from the WB media room.

Has anyone actually seen or got any of these reissues?

Thanks Russell , wonder if any of the re issues have surfaced ? Cheers ,Eddie

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert