• Replies 18
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi

Can anyone let me know any info about this LP please

A rare album from 1967 on the Love label. Music contained therein is northern soul as well as beautiful falsetto balladry, Ron Tyson of Temptations fame involved with singing, producing and songwriting for the group. Price of the album, well, seen it listed for around 120 Euros also seen it go for considerably less and sometimes even more than the aforementioned sum, maybe someone else is better suited for nailing down the current going rate.

Here´s the bio of the group, taken from the AMG All Music Guide:

Formed in 1967 in Philadelphia by Ron Tyson, Joe Freeman, Carl Enlow, and Andrew Collins, the Ethics combined Motown-styled songs with sweeping string and horn arrangements in a nascent version of what would come to be known as the Philly sound. Led by Tyson's considerable songwriting skills and Eddie Kendricks-like tenor, the group recorded for independent labels Wale, Kent, and Golden Fleece, turning out songs like "Standing in the Darkness" and "I Want My Baby Back" that certainly deserved a wider audience than they received. Working with Vince Montana's rhythms and Thom Bell's sophisticated horn and string arrangements, the Ethics were truthfully just a little ahead of their time. The Ethics had split by the time the 1970s dawned, and they watched from the sidelines while newer Northern soul groups like the O'Jays followed the same template to massive success. Tyson later joined the reconstituted Temptations put together by Otis Williams.

Hope this helps

Best,

Melismo

Social source share

Thanks for that.

I understood the LP was infact vent 1003 not on the "Love" label. I did wonder also that as the one is photographed with shrink whether that would be possible for an LP 1967.

This is interesting and thanks for your help so far

Soulfully Yours

Jonathan

Social source share

Thanks for that.

I understood the LP was infact vent 1003 not on the "Love" label. I did wonder also that as the one is photographed with shrink whether that would be possible for an LP 1967.

This is interesting and thanks for your help so far

Soulfully Yours

Jonathan

I have lps from much earlier in the 60s still in that plastic shrink - Billy Butlers Right track on Okeh springs to mind thumbsup.gif

Social source share

I have lps from much earlier in the 60s still in that plastic shrink - Billy Butlers Right track on Okeh springs to mind thumbsup.gif

i have just googled " record shrink wrapping " , ad it came up with a link by a guy stating that SW had first been used in 1962 .

The information in the link was limited , but the chap added " It was about that time that Weldotron , one of the early machine manufacturers began in business . Most of the early shrink films were PVC which shrunk well but produced a noxious gas " .

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Thanks for the info guys............didn't now that and should have googled myself......

Just need some more inf n the LP please

Soulfully Yours

Jonathan

Social source share

Thanks for the info guys............didn't now that and should have googled myself......

Just need some more inf n the LP please

Soulfully Yours

Jonathan

This LP could have been put on by RELIC Records in New Jersey, they put a CD out, but included The Springers "Nothing's Too Good For My Baby" on it. When I got the CD I thought that the Ethics had also cut the song or were the same group, then Realised that both groups had recorded for Whale and that they had most probably got the masters mixed up.

What is the track listing on the LP? I'll dig out the CD tonight.

Social source share

This LP could have been put on by RELIC Records in New Jersey, they put a CD out, but included The Springers "Nothing's Too Good For My Baby" on it. When I got the CD I thought that the Ethics had also cut the song or were the same group, then Realised that both groups had recorded for Whale and that they had most probably got the masters mixed up.

What is the track listing on the LP? I'll dig out the CD tonight.

the CD I know of that has the ethics and springers together credited as the ethics is the collectibles CD.

Social source share

Cheers Soul people

The LP arrived yesterday and got a playing last night

Mint, brilliant and snuggled in the box.

Thanks everyone

Soulfully Yours

Jonathan

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

was with the fourtops for a few days when they was over recently with The Temps and when bumped into Ron tyson a few times at the hotel and after party shows we got talking about The Ethics and he singed my 45s I Asked him if i could pull it off would he be intrested in doing a live show with The Ethics ..he said yes he would love to perform again live doing there stuff .

Social source share

was with the fourtops for a few days when they was over recently with The Temps and when bumped into Ron tyson a few times at the hotel and after party shows we got talking about The Ethics and he singed my 45s I Asked him if i could pull it off would he be intrested in doing a live show with The Ethics ..he said yes he would love to perform again live doing there stuff .

If anyone singed my 45's I'd give 'em a clip round the ear! 45's are fragile enough without some bugger burning 'em.......

Ian D :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert