Posted Images

still no info on this piece or label....any help would be appreciated

Talk Of The Town publishing (and perhaps also the label) is/was owned by:

MILDRED BALDWIN

539 CAMPBELL STREET

JACKSON, MS 39031-324

Here is a partial discography:

TALK OF THE TOWN 745 - W.I Geadney - Shady Lady / A.B.C. Game

TALK OF THE TOWN 747 - L.V. Thurman - Love Like This Keep Pressing On My Mind / ?

TALK OF THE TOWN 748 - David Swinton - Daddy Little Boy Got Sponk / The Day I Found You

TALK OF THE TOWN 772 - Christian Travelers - My Mother Is Gone / ?

TALK OF THE TOWN 836 - Kay Carter - Disco Sickness / I Wish You Were Here

I once had the Kay Carter 45 and it was a real shocker!

post-1392-1269415996714.jpg

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

I hope it isn't an expensive record (!) because I used to have a couple of copies but goodness knows where they went. I think promoter Robert Rosenthal had something to do with that record.

I dealt with some of their people in the late 1980s when I owned Ardent Music.

Talk Of The Town was a 24-track studio in Jackson, Mississippi, owned by engineer Nathaniel Baldwin (now deceased) and used by local singers and musicians such as guitarist Vasti Jackson, writer Joe Shamwell, Charles McCollough (also known as Taji Shahid and leader of Natural High), Haran Griffin, Jewel Bass and others who also sometimes did sessions at Malaco.

The studio changed its name a couple of times. One name was Top Knotch and another was J-Town.

The 45s I issued on Ardent in 1989 by G.C. Cameron and by The Millionaires were recorded there. The Millionaires track was produced by bass guitarist Frederick Young (a member of the group Sho-Nuff) and some other guy whose name I can't recall at the moment.

The Millionaires were the same group as Tavasco & The Millionaires but the line-up kept changing. On the Ardent 45 it was Bernard Spears, James Harris, Cynthia Richardson and Sandra Martin.

The Millionaires tracks were mixed by William C. Brown in Memphis and the G.C. Cameron tracks were mixed here in the UK.

I also remixed a nice session by Jewel Bass which was cut at Talk Of The Town in the late 1980s. It was a bit poppy and we didn't think it would catch on in the UK so we shelved it.

Margie Evans also recorded a pretty good LP at Talk Of The Town with producer Jesse Mathis. I almost issued it on Ardent in 1990 but it never happened. The vocals were great but some of the music programming was a bit stiff and we just couldn't afford to remix every track.

To be brutally honest, it wasn't a top-rate studio. Quite a lot of naff disco stuff was recorded there (they had an awful drum machine which was used on almost every session) and they ended up recording a lot of gospel music there.

I still have publishing rights to a few songs that came out of that place.

Interesting stuff but on reflection I think the late 1980s wasn't a great time for soul music.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert