Most Expensive British Demo And Issue And Usa Demo And Issue

• Replies 99
  • Views 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I've aways though that EMI pressed-up 750 demos of every record. Is this not true ?.

Rarest issue Dennis D'ell ,Hoagy Lands, Frankie/Classicals,John Ford, Barbara Mills,etc..

Rarest demo Lou Johnson on London Bigtop ?.

I think the Lou Johnson is on a London Monument demo (might be wrong).

EMI label demos shouldn't be mega rare, I don't think they did 750 but certainly 250 upwards.

Social source share

Bobricke should be Bobrick.

Greene should be Green.

But as you stated, quite clever and sure must've taken some time to do.

Gotcha :ohmy:

Mever really had a good look at it until you pointed it out .

Malc Burton

Social source share

Neither D Banks in the pocket or L Johnson unsatisfied London demos are that rare.I think the red and white stateside(not the green and white)demo on the D Banks are far harder to find

I agree. I got £225 for my r&w last year, it was only the second one I'd actually seen in the flesh. I bought it off some dick on ebay, paid him £200 for it and he sent it in a bubble wrap jiffy bag thing with no cardboard and not even recorded delivery.

Social source share

Neither D Banks in the pocket or L Johnson unsatisfied London demos are that rare.I think the red and white stateside(not the green and white)demo on the D Banks are far harder to find

THE REPS THAT CALLED AT MY SHOP USED TO HAVE 10 DEMO COPIES OF MOST TUNES

TO SPREAD ROUND THE AREA THEY COVERED!! MULTIPLY THAT BY 20 ODD REPS AND THEN

OF COURSE THEY SENT OUT TO MOST RADIO STATIONS IN THE COUNTRY!! SO YOU WOULD

HAVE TO SAY THEY PRESSED AT LEAST 500 COPIES!!

NOW HOW RARE IS THE INST BILLY HARNER!!

MAX..

Edited by max.millward
Social source share

THE REPS THAT CALLED AT MY SHOP USED TO HAVE 10 DEMO COPIES OF MOST TUNES

TO SPREAD ROUND THE AREA THEY COVERED!! MULTIPLY THAT BY 20 ODD REPS AND THEN

OF COURSE THEY SENT OUT TO MOST RADIO STATIONS IN THE COUNTRY!! SO YOU WOULD

HAVE TO SAY THEY PRESSED AT LEAST 500 COPIES!!

NOW HOW RARE IS THE INST BILLY HARNER!!

MAX..

I forgot Billy Harner! Must be equal number 1 rarity.

Social source share

all i want / blue aces on columbia demo......got a press release of it as well...........its a white group harmony track an brilliant, honest:D ask steve green .............no one seemes to know it , came from itv record library i think,.mentioned it on here before with no responce,.........ezzie

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/THE-BLUE-ACES-THATS-ALL-RIGHT-COLUMBIA_W0QQitemZ230440611890QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Records?hash=item35a754b032

bootlegged about 4 years ago

Social source share

I never understand why Darrell banks tops the rarities list, things like Jon Ford philips demo, Vala reegan Atlantic demo, are much rarer but a quarter of the price.

I'd say the ben E King is probably the top UK rarity.

WHAT ABOUT THE BLANK LONDON DEMO OF DARRELL BANKS WITH HAND WRITTEN TITLE................

Social source share

I forgot Billy Harner! Must be equal number 1 rarity.

Can someone clarify.Wasn't the Billy Harner instrumental on a US only and they got sent back and destroyed..I've 2 UK copies one a full centre and the other without a centre.Will have to dig them out in case theres an instrumental (dream on...)

Social source share

Can someone clarify.Wasn't the Billy Harner instrumental on a US only and they got sent back and destroyed..I've 2 UK copies one a full centre and the other without a centre.Will have to dig them out in case theres an instrumental (dream on...)

Instrumental is UK

Social source share

AS FAR AS I UNDERSTAND IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE A CUSTOM UK PRESSING!!

MAY HAVE BEEN 1000 COPIES FOR A WELL KNOWN SOUL SUPPLIER!!

WHEN THEY ARRIVED THEY FOUND A TOTAL MISPRESS!! INST INSTEAD OF VOCAL!!

THEY KEPT 6 COPIES AND RETURNED THE REST FOR CREDIT AND ASKED FOR THE VOCAL AS ORDERED!!

THIS WAS NAUGHTILY SUPPLIED AND ALSO ISSUED BY THE RECORD COMPANY!!

I HAD A BOX OF THE VOCAL ARRIVE AT MY SHOP TO MY SUPRISE IT CONTAINED 6 INST COPIES!!

SO THAT MAKES 12 KNOWN COPIES!! IT WOULD BE INTERESTING TO KNOW IF ANY OTHER DEALERS

ALSO GOT ANY INST COPIES!!

max...

Social source share

AS FAR AS I UNDERSTAND IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE A CUSTOM UK PRESSING!!

MAY HAVE BEEN 1000 COPIES FOR A WELL KNOWN SOUL SUPPLIER!!

WHEN THEY ARRIVED THEY FOUND A TOTAL MISPRESS!! INST INSTEAD OF VOCAL!!

THEY KEPT 6 COPIES AND RETURNED THE REST FOR CREDIT AND ASKED FOR THE VOCAL AS ORDERED!!

THIS WAS NAUGHTILY SUPPLIED AND ALSO ISSUED BY THE RECORD COMPANY!!

I HAD A BOX OF THE VOCAL ARRIVE AT MY SHOP TO MY SUPRISE IT CONTAINED 6 INST COPIES!!

SO THAT MAKES 12 KNOWN COPIES!! IT WOULD BE INTERESTING TO KNOW IF ANY OTHER DEALERS

ALSO GOT ANY INST COPIES!!

max...

So its a UK Kama Sutra then...I bet some Soul Fox wasn't happy though even though he liked an instrumental...of course.I suppose either my solid centre or the no centre is a boot then.Funny that they decided to boot a UK issue though.thumbsup.gif

So the number one UK soul rarity is an early seventies UK boot..............what karma

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

So its a UK Kama Sutra then...I bet some Soul Fox wasn't happy though even though he liked an instrumental...of course.I suppose either my solid centre or the no centre is a boot then.Funny that they decided to boot a UK issue though.thumbsup.gif

So the number one UK soul rarity is an early seventies UK boot..............what karma

not a boot!! an official legitimate pressing that somehow an inst was pressed instead of a vocal!!

max..

Social source share

not a boot!! an official legitimate pressing that somehow an inst was pressed instead of a vocal!!

max..

So someone got in touch with Kama Sutra in the US and arranged with them to have a few thousand pressed for the UK northern soul market??. I thought Ember had the rights to that label in the UK.? They pressed it with English labels (Im assuming its the 71 no centre issue as Ive never seen a US 45 with the typical English 3 prong which is on one of my copies)...so that makes the 71 3 prong the original and the no centre the US pressed custom pressed legitimate second UK issue....and wait for it the mispressed no centre custom UK pressing econd issue pressed in the US with the wrong track is the rarity....Who had it pressed then.It mut have been before the soul fox was around.laugh.gif

Social source share

So someone got in touch with Kama Sutra in the US and arranged with them to have a few thousand pressed for the UK northern soul market??. I thought Ember had the rights to that label in the UK.? They pressed it with English labels (Im assuming its the 71 no centre issue as Ive never seen a US 45 with the typical English 3 prong which is on one of my copies)...so that makes the 71 3 prong the original and the no centre the US pressed custom pressed legitimate second UK issue....and wait for it the mispressed no centre custom UK pressing econd issue pressed in the US with the wrong track is the rarity....Who had it pressed then.It mut have been before the soul fox was around.laugh.gif

it was possibly pressed in the uk the company was polydor(polygram)

what interests me is that they were returned for credit!! so why did my shop get 6 copies mixed

in a 25 count box!! did the wharehouse to to get rid of them on the sly instead of destroying them!!

thats why it would be interesting to know if any other dealers recieved any!! if not then with only

a dozen copies out there it surely must be the rarest!!

max...

Social source share

Neither of yours is a boot and neither is the instrumental. They were all legitimately issued via Polydor/Polygram.

Social source share

what interests me is that they were returned for credit!! so why did my shop get 6 copies mixed

in a 25 count box!! did the wharehouse to to get rid of them on the sly instead of destroying them!!

thats why it would be interesting to know if any other dealers recieved any!! if not then with only

max...

Max, I think our mutual friend now living in Scotland also had the instrumental

Social source share

USA demo is Junior Mccants on King I would have thought - 15.000 usd

UK Demo probably Darrell Banks on yellow London I suspect ?

As for US issues - I have no idea - could it be Magnetics on bonnie............ Margaret Little...........Lester Tipton.............JD Bryant......... etc.. etc... etc

How about invitations stateside of Sandy Wyns on Fontanna?

Social source share

I agree. I got £225 for my r&w last year, it was only the second one I'd actually seen in the flesh. I bought it off some dick on ebay, paid him £200 for it and he sent it in a bubble wrap jiffy bag thing with no cardboard and not even recorded delivery.

what about the issue? I know its South African, but how rare?

Social source share

max...

I bet that's exactly what happened Max. There were a few around my way in the early 70's. Twink had one for a start. No record company likes receiving returns so there would have been a temptation to try and recycle some of 'em I bet.....

Ian D :D

Social source share

Had most of the ones menbtioned here over the years. Especially in the 80s when it was a tad unfashionable to collect UK. Never had a Wayne Fontana - Give Me Just A Little More Time - stocker though. Didn't even know about it until a few years ago. Anyone got one/had one?

I'm sure Joe Dunlop had one of these for sale a few years back.

Social source share

I bet that's exactly what happened Max. There were a few around my way in the early 70's. Twink had one for a start. No record company likes receiving returns so there would have been a temptation to try and recycle some of 'em I bet.....

Mick Smith got his copy from Portobello market in London, he said there was this kid with a load of records stacked in a PRAM and he bought a couple of him for a few pennies including Billy Harner, got home and played it and it was the instrumental (thats the only way you can tell - play them - I've held both at the same time and theres no difference, you'd think the run off groove on the inst would be massive but it's not)

Social source share

yes ian, be nice to know how many may have be recycled!!

on the question of wayne fontana i managed to blag 6 demo's

the issue i had a few of them but on the monday of release i

had a call from the company asking me not to sell them as it

had been withdrawn!! had to give most of em back to the rep!!

max...

Social source share

Had most of the ones menbtioned here over the years. Especially in the 80s when it was a tad unfashionable to collect UK. Never had a Wayne Fontana - Give Me Just A Little More Time - stocker though. Didn't even know about it until a few years ago. Anyone got one/had one?

It is a rare stock copy, I've had one, long time ago though. Jimmy Thomas stock is very rare.

Social source share

Another seriously rare stock copy is John Drevars Expression on MGM, I've only seen one, and I sold it really cheap, God knows why. Bok To Bach issue also extremely rare. Here's two UK's that I've kept

post-1893-12693622465433_thumb.jpg

Whats the going rate for Frankie/Classicals VG++ v small wol I Only Have Eyes side

Social source share

Soul Joe Clements on Plexium must be up there also.

They seem to be turning up regular these days.:D

Edited by ken
Social source share

Hi Dave yes I have it on stock copy. Got it from Mr Manship early 80s for something like £15. Always had a soft spot for this record - which might surprise a few on here. I actually played it out last year - surprising how many didn't know it.

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert