Rip - Alex Chilton

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

What a great voice he had. I never really 'got' Big Star but "The Letter" by the Box Tops is among my all time favourites. There used to be two youtube clips of this, both were identical except in one they had been overdubbed by the record and on the second they were playing it live, the vocals on the live one were fantastic.

Social source share

What a great voice he had. I never really 'got' Big Star but "The Letter" by the Box Tops is among my all time favourites. There used to be two youtube clips of this, both were identical except in one they had been overdubbed by the record and on the second they were playing it live, the vocals on the live one were fantastic.

Top tune Pete

RIP

Social source share

As you state Pete , a great voice : one I always thought to be on a par with that of John Fogarty .

Malc Burton

Social source share

I really enjoyed watching that clip, although it makes me sad to think that we haven't really progressed - despite all our technology etc.

The arts of songwriting, arrangement and production have almost been lost. And therefore we're increasingly forced to live in the past as far as music is concerned.

The older this stuff gets, the better it sounds.

Social source share

I really enjoyed watching that clip, although it makes me sad to think that we haven't really progressed - despite all our technology etc.

The arts of songwriting, arrangement and production have almost been lost. And therefore we're increasingly forced to live in the past as far as music is concerned.

The older this stuff gets, the better it sounds.

i agree.

the thing that kills me about these clips from the 60s is the crowd. i am sure that these kids have no idea how lucky they are to see these performances... but do you see the slack jawed half-wit in the video!? (the kid drooling on himself in a coma at time :17 and again at :55)

its always the way! jackie wilson or gene chandler performing something fierce and a crowd of pimply faced white teens barely able to summon the enthusiasm for lackluster (and off time) finger-snapping? aaaagh!!

Edited by ljblanken
Social source share

i agree.

the thing that kills me about these clips from the 60s is the crowd. i am sure that these kids have no idea how lucky they are to see these performances... but do you see the slack jawed half-wit in the video!? (the kid drooling on himself in a coma at time :17 and again at :55)

its always the way! jackie wilson or gene chandler performing something fierce and a crowd of pimply faced white teens barely able to summon the enthusiasm for lackluster (and off time) finger-snapping? aaaagh!!

My apologies if this has been mentioned previously in respect of Alex Chilton , But I did not realise he was only 16 when he recorded " The Letter " .

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert