Tip Of The Iceberg? More To Come Or Scraping The Barrel?

Tip of the iceberg? More to come or scraping the barrel?

Northernsoul Eldorado does it exist?

This is no joke honest, last time I was at Stoke we were milling about the car park reluctant to go home for some reason, and during our ice scraping window exercises one of my friends handed me two home made CD's, "Try these, they're mega!".

Now this sort of thing happens on a regular basis within the Northernsoul fraternity, some times we get a crock of dung and other times we get a passable CD. But here were two CD's chocker block full of top quality Northernsoul that I have never heard of yet it was pleasing to my ear immediately!

I started thinking about how long I have listened and danced to our music and that I should not ever hear much that is unknown to me yet I find my self constantly hearing new fresh sounds at more and more venues.

Have we still got an untapped vein of rich Northernsoul no one has heard of before? Is there still dumpster's worth of discs still ready to be discovered?

Some say that the well is dry while others hint of mother loads too vast to ever get our eager heads round?

I know there are a few Soul Sourcers who have traveled vast distances and put in a fair amount of shoe leather and dosh looking for these sounds are there piles of the black golden disks? Does Eldorado exist?

Have we heard it all??????

I came away from Life line thinking that I know nothing about Northernsoul and each time I go to Bids I feel as if I have never heard music before, have I got Alzheimer's or are we having a Renaissance?

Social source share

• Replies 19
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

On a personal level I'm hearing sounds that are new to me all the time too but I think few if any of these sounds are unknown to others on the scene. So I feel there are huge reservoirs of tunes to discover on a personal basis but very few that are unknown if we combined knowledge. Hope that makes sense

Cheers

Manus

Post edited as requested

Edited by manus
Social source share

I think you may have misunderstood the question Kev I think Simon means because he is hearing sounds new to him on a regular basis does this mean there are a large amounts of undiscovered records out there.

On a personal level I'm hearing sounds that are new to me all the time too but I think few if any of these sounds are unknown to others on the scene. So I feel there are huge reservoirs of tunes to discover on a personal basis but very few that are unknown if we combined knowledge. Hope that makes sense

Cheers

Manus

I think you are right in the essence of what you are saying here...There are so many more people into Soul these days, the combined knowledge is enormous. Also the genres and styles of records acceptable on the scene (or sections of the scene) has widened enormously too. I am still hearing stuff I've not heard all the time but I think the big difference is that compared to the 70s, these are not totally unknown single copy tunes that somebody like LEVINE or ANDERSON has recently brought into the country. It's just the sheer, vast trove of records that are drawn upon now is so huge that for most normal people, you can trawl around on the net and hear fresh stuff all the time. Usually it's been put there by other Soul fans, who've already heard it at venues or on CD's etc or have bought a copy of the record off someone and posted a file on Youtube etc....

I suppose you can sum it up by saying in the 70s you just HAD to go to All-Niters to hear the big tunes whereas now the internet has absorbed a vast mountain of music that you could spend a lifetime enjoying.

Still cannot beat the feeling of hearing a record for the first time and thinking 'What the hell is that?', in a dark room at 3 in the morning with your head buzzing from various influences etcthumbsup.gif

Edited by chorleysoul
Social source share

This is no joke honest, last time I was at Stoke we were milling about the car park reluctant to go home for some reason, and during our ice scraping window exercises one of my friends handed me two home made CD's, "Try these, they're mega!".

Now this sort of thing happens on a regular basis within the Northernsoul fraternity, some times we get a crock of dung and other times we get a passable CD. But here were two CD's chocker block full of top quality Northernsoul that I have never heard of yet it was pleasing to my ear immediately!

I started thinking about how long I have listened and danced to our music and that I should not ever hear much that is unknown to me yet I find my self constantly hearing new fresh sounds at more and more venues.

Have we still got an untapped vein of rich Northernsoul no one has heard of before? Is there still dumpster's worth of discs still ready to be discovered?

Some say that the well is dry while others hint of mother loads too vast to ever get our eager heads round?

I know there are a few Soul Sourcers who have traveled vast distances and put in a fair amount of shoe leather and dosh looking for these sounds are there piles of the black golden disks? Does Eldorado exist?

I came away from Life line thinking that I know nothing about Northernsoul and each time I go to Bids I feel as if I have never heard music before, have I got Alzheimer's or are we having a Renaissance?

I often hear stuff that i think is new to me then further into the track i recognise it but can't put a name to it.The thing is during the 80s period especially at Stafford hundreds of great discs were played with rapid turnover,and most of these have laid dormant waiting for reactivation.The same can be said of the hundreds of 70s tracks played at say Cleggy most of them not played out for years.I'm the same Simon i've got loads of exchange cds from mates full of stuff that would set any floor alight.So in answer to your question YES ElDORADO does exist not in some yank warehouse but in the collections of guys on here.Getting people to accept them and dance to them well thats another matter

Social source share

Guest rasfoz

I think you are right in the essence of what you are saying here...There are so many more people into Soul these days, the combined knowledge is enormous. Also the genres and styles of records acceptable on the scene (or sections of the scene) has widened enormously too. I am still hearing stuff I've not heard all the time but I think the big difference is that compared to the 70s, these are not totally unknown single copy tunes that somebody like LEVINE or ANDERSON has recently brought into the country. It's just the sheer, vast trove of records that are drawn upon now is so huge that for most normal people, you can trawl around on the net and hear fresh stuff all the time. Usually it's been put there by other Soul fans, who've already heard it at venues or on CD's etc or have bought a copy of the record off someone and posted a file on Youtube etc....

I suppose you can sum it up by saying in the 70s you just HAD to go to All-Niters to hear the big tunes whereas now the internet has absorbed a vast mountain of music that you could spend a lifetime enjoying.

Still cannot beat the feeling of hearing a record for the first time and thinking 'What the hell is that?', in a dark room at 3 in the morning with your head buzzing from various influences etcthumbsup.gif

Intresting so who do we reckon is the northern soul oracale ? Theres gotta be someone somewhere with knowledge on a vast scale over all the different genres of rare underplayed ignored & even undiscoverd

Social source share

Intresting so who do we reckon is the northern soul oracale ? Theres gotta be someone somewhere with knowledge on a vast scale over all the different genres of rare underplayed ignored & even undiscoverd

The point I am making is that rather than a handful of visionaries/pioneers (COLLECTORS and DJ's who supplied the Niters with Sounds) as in the 60s and 70s, there is a relatively large number of people with encyclopedic knowledge of Soul music now, especially in the UK, that is why so much stuff has found it's way out there. It's why so many CD's are released around the world and why so many thousands and thousands of tracks are loaded into sites like this, youtube and countless others. Hundreds of people have trawled across the states and still do so regularly in search of tunes from the 60s, 70s, 80s, 80s and beyond right up to the present day. The Reservoir is truly enormous now and there is a large amount of people constantly topping it up.thumbsup.gif

Edited by chorleysoul
Social source share

i've had close to a million u.s. 45s over the past decades(not all soul) and can honestly say that i hear a new sound virtually everyday or a label i've never seen.The musical output from america is truly stunning and in my mind seems to be a bottomless pit although i do believe the days of the big "warehouse" full of undiscovered soul records are long gone.

Edited by vince ayres
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

In my opinion there isn't a single person out there who knows everything and has heard everything. We get people at Move On all the time who have been on the scene forty odd years saying 'what's this?' 'never heard this before' 'where can i buy this?' etc... It's a brilliant feeling hearing a fantastic 45 for the first time, especially these days. I'm not saying what we play are newies, just new to some people's ears (especially mine). I'm glad there is plenty of stuff still to hear, and as Patto rightly said it's not that they are new discoveries it's usually that they have been woefully underplayed or forgotten.

Maybe not still tip of the iceberg, but still a long way to go before the bottom. thumbsup.gif

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Surely you can't see there being any one on this scene with more knowledge than me? blink.gif

Social source share

Guest aintgotit

Surely you can't see there being any one on this scene with more knowledge than me? blink.gif

there are thousands of tunes fella, thousands.

Social source share

i've had close to a million u.s. 45s over the past decades(not all soul) and can honestly say that i hear a new sound virtually everyday or a label i've never seen.The musical output from america is truly stunning and in my mind seems to be a bottomless pit although i do believe the days of the big "warehouse" full of undiscovered soul records are long gone.

The amount of 45s is one thing yes, but what about when you then get onto the subject of LP TRacks from the 60s and 70s which would be suitable for play in all the strands of the scene if the idea was really seriously accepted and practised? We are talking about a truly vast catalogue of under resourced material then....thumbsup.gif

Edited by chorleysoul
Social source share

tip of the iceberg- any record you here for the first time and it blows you away, try compilations of well known artists, e.g. roy hamilton, heard "angelica" for the first time a couple of years ago it gave me the same feelings as when i first heard many classics from the 70,s

when i was a young un and was hearing new stuff on a weekly roller coaster basis,as for today there is not a week goes by without someone on here either posting or reccomending great stuff that ive never heard,

as for scraping the barrell, heard some rare but bloody awfull stuff recently (last ten years), both 60,s and 70,s eg five chances on finch 60,s and cornel gunther ,70,s, yet i danced happily and totally unaware of any soul police or chin strokers to curtis how can i tell her, j d martin and frankie valli,

good records are good records,we are getting old, tastes are changing, next thing, doo wap

Social source share

tip of the iceberg- any record you here for the first time and it blows you away, try compilations of well known artists, e.g. roy hamilton, heard "angelica" for the first time a couple of years ago it gave me the same feelings as when i first heard many classics from the 70,s

when i was a young un and was hearing new stuff on a weekly roller coaster basis,as for today there is not a week goes by without someone on here either posting or reccomending great stuff that ive never heard,

as for scraping the barrell, heard some rare but bloody awfull stuff recently (last ten years), both 60,s and 70,s eg five chances on finch 60,s and cornel gunther ,70,s, yet i danced happily and totally unaware of any soul police or chin strokers to curtis how can i tell her, j d martin and frankie valli,

good records are good records,we are getting old, tastes are changing, next thing, doo wap

not forgetting cover versions some of which are better than orig imo

post-9242-12685295506807_thumb.jpg

i have played this out to a good response.

Social source share

In my opinion there isn't a single person out there who knows everything and has heard everything. We get people at Move On all the time who have been on the scene forty odd years saying 'what's this?' 'never heard this before' 'where can i buy this?' etc... It's a brilliant feeling hearing a fantastic 45 for the first time, especially these days. I'm not saying what we play are newies, just new to some people's ears (especially mine). I'm glad there is plenty of stuff still to hear, and as Patto rightly said it's not that they are new discoveries it's usually that they have been woefully underplayed or forgotten.

Maybe not still tip of the iceberg, but still a long way to go before the bottom. thumbsup.gif

That is exactly where I got involved 45 years ago , and why I am still involved , with the music scene of ours .

I doubt we will ever see or hear the last 45 , as there will be someone who will always deliver more food to the table for enjoyment .......

Malc Burton

Social source share

Tell you what else is refreshing.When you "think" you remember a sound,hear it again 10/20/30 years down the line ,and it all falls into place.

Like some kind of religious awakening.Love that feeling.

Top post Kev....

That feeling is really what gives me a buzz... No need for the god squad when we have moments like this...

No offence to any bible bashers, i know its Sunday...

Peace be with you my brothers and sisters..

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert