Requiem For Detroit

For any Detroit anoraks (like me) there is a programme on BBC2 tonight at 8pm called Requiem For Detroit.

With its thriving car industry and innovative musical output, Detroit was once a beacon of American progress. The fourth largest city in the US, it was also one of the wealthiest, thanks to the Big Three - Ford, General Motors and Chrysler. Today, Detroit is leading the way once more, but not in a good way - poverty and unemployment have soared, and it is the first major US city to become a virtual ghost town. So what lies ahead for Detroit? Directed by Julian Temple, this poignant documentary looks at the past, present and future of the city that once symbolised the Americnan Dream, but is now 'a darkly cautionary tale for the entire industrialised world'.

Anyone who has Keith Rylatts book may find this interesting I suspect.

Mick

Social source share

• Replies 53
  • Views 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

For any Detroit anoraks (like me) there is a programme on BBC2 tonight at 8pm called Requiem For Detroit.

With its thriving car industry and innovative musical output, Detroit was once a beacon of American progress. The fourth largest city in the US, it was also one of the wealthiest, thanks to the Big Three - Ford, General Motors and Chrysler. Today, Detroit is leading the way once more, but not in a good way - poverty and unemployment have soared, and it is the first major US city to become a virtual ghost town. So what lies ahead for Detroit? Directed by Julian Temple, this poignant documentary looks at the past, present and future of the city that once symbolised the Americnan Dream, but is now 'a darkly cautionary tale for the entire industrialised world'.

Mick

I wonder if the soundtrack will include

Smokey Robinson " I care about Detroit" thanks for tip off will set timer to record !

Rob

Social source share

Mick

will try a watch it before gibby picks me up the book is a good read so far see you at stafford mick regards johno

Social source share

Take it that you two will be out & about tonight then?

Will see you both at Stafford in a few weeks.

Mick

Karens flat out with the norovirus bug since yesterday evening-I'm running Connor about from cricket at 8pm so unless drastic recovery in next 4 hours we may be home birds again !

see you soon Mickthumbsup.gif

Rob

Social source share

thanks very much for the info we will be watching it but also at 10.40 on the same channel bbc2 is motor citys burning then at 1.10 is a culture show special about motown,we will probably record the later two progs as the shutters may come down by that time,!!!,read an article in todays torygraph,you can buy a house in detroit for $10 o.n.o about £6 but its near 8 mile though which i have been told is a dive,!!! unsure.gifph34r.gif

Social source share

thanks very much for the info we will be watching it but also at 10.40 on the same channel bbc2 is motor citys burning then at 1.10 is a culture show special about motown,we will probably record the later two progs as the shutters may come down by that time,!!!,read an article in todays torygraph,you can buy a house in detroit for $10 o.n.o about £6 but its near 8 mile though which i have been told is a dive,!!! unsure.gifph34r.gif

Well now, I've just checked the listings with the TV controller (I have Freeview as any good Yorkshireman should have - it's free you see) and according to that it's 'highlights of lambing live from 7:30 to 9 with Kate Humble - it better not be as BBC will be getting short shrift from me.....:rolleyes:

Mick

Social source share

Social source share

Guest Dante

This looks amazing, I really envy you guys.

The decline of indsutrial cities through the 60s-90s in the USA is a subject I find really interesting. Specially if it is Detroit!

Edited by Dante
Social source share

Guest Dante

Watch this then a mooch down the 100 club,cheers for that.............sorry Dante laugh.gif

Do you really want me to play my Tequila and hot latin girls cards, Ken? :rolleyes:

Social source share

Fascinating if in many ways horrible look at how a city lives and dies. Not too much about the music scene though, but interesting to see Mitch Ryder's input (one of the best white soul singers). How many times has Martha Reeves told that story about singing 'Nowhere to run' on the Ford production line!

Thank god I live in nice quiet Edinburgh where the local pub just got shut down due to a shooting incident!!

Social source share

Well really enjoyed that, I love Detroit, even 25 years ago there were massive vacant lots, burnt out houses, Crack dealers-it all adds to the atmosphere of this great City.

Waiting for 11 pm now BT Vision box is on the blink so not recording looks like I'm staying up to watch it !

Rob

Social source share

I casually watched this whilst it was on but will watch in more detail having Sky + it.

A general observation from what I did see is the overwhelming belief that the city has been left to rot - market forces and all that global economy shit.

Which in itself may be reflected in many (previously mighty) industrial cities throughout the world, but somehow this resonates more strongly with us because of the undeniable base from which so much of the music which we cherish has been created.

We (as in the UK soul scene) continue to reflect and enthuse over the enduring contribution that Detroit has given, but we should despair at the apathy and neglect shown to this city when trying to preserve and acknowledge it's postion in the development of the commercial world via the automotive industry.

Sad indeed.

Social source share

compulsive viewing,wonder how many records burned in the fires and devastation.

My own thoughts exactly on both counts. Interesting views on mass production and consumerism and the idea that this was maybe a glimpse into the future for other large industrial cities. On a brighter note it was uplifting to see that there were those who felt that a new future born of community self sufficiency may rise from the rubble..

Social source share

Guest Dante

This happened not only in Detroit, but in almost all major cities in the US. In most of them the process took place in some neighbourhoods, but in Detroit it was basically the whole city.

South Bronx was even worst than Detroit in some aspects. Even today, it has the most poor county in the US; Brooklyn, Jamaica and other parts of Queens, South Chicago and Cabrini Green, Atlanta, South-eas LA, Philly, East St. Louis. The list just goes on and on.

Every town or hood with a black population was sistematically left to rot by the local and federal goverments...

Edited by Dante
Social source share

Very sad,but compulsive viewing,wonder how many records burned in the fires and devastation.

Lady B and I watched this creditable programme with interest and enjoyment , and the same thought - highlighted above - kept entering my mind as the scenes of the urban desolation were shown .

It does not bear thinking about :lol:

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest Dante

Just saw this is actually a documentary, and not a feature by the BBC. I suppose the DVD isn't out yet. Will snatch one when it does...

Social source share

Just saw this is actually a documentary, and not a feature by the BBC. I suppose the DVD isn't out yet. Will snatch one when it does...

I'm sure you can get a bbc iplayer that plays outside the uk ? anybody !

Edited by ken
Social source share

Guest Dante

I'm sure you can get a bbc iplayer that plays outside the uk ? anybody !

I'mma check Ken. Didn't cross my mind as everytime I've tried to do it (mostly radio) it wouldn't let me.

Edit: just tried on the BBC2 web and I can't, as I suspected. Nice surprise, though, now I can listen to iPlayer Radio...

Edited by Dante
Social source share

Log on to BBC iplayer you can watch it on your computer. I am currently at work on night shift and have just watched.

Ian.

Social source share

I'mma check Ken. Didn't cross my mind as everytime I've tried to do it (mostly radio) it wouldn't let me.

Edit: just tried on the BBC2 web and I can't, as I suspected. Nice surprise, though, now I can listen to iPlayer Radio...

Just google bbc iplayer,and look through all the results,i'm sure i seen one once ? might not be the propper iplayer Dante,good luck.

Be good at first untill you start seeing repeat repeat after r....huh.gif

Edited by ken
Social source share

Guest Dante

Just google bbc iplayer,and look through all the results,i'm sure i seen one once ? might not be the propper iplayer Dante,good luck.

Just find out a way, but I'm not sure how legit it is, so it'll be best not to talk about itwhistling.gif Don't want the © police around Soul-Source

I have to download something and I'm not sure this crappy old PC will take it, so I'll try it somewhere else within the week.

Thanks, Ken...

Social source share

This may be of help in accessing the UK BBC Iplayer Dante : I hope the link works .......

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest Dante

This may be of help in accessing the UK BBC Iplayer Dante : I hope the link works .......

Malc Burton

Yup, that's the one I've found.

Thanks to all for your help!

Really appreciate it...

Social source share

Yup, that's the one I've found.

Thanks to all for your help!

Really appreciate it...

If you are able to access and view the UK BBC iPlayer Dante , this programme - if you have not seen it before - should also be of interest to you .

" Motor City's Burning : Detroit from Motown to the Stooges "

Malc Burton

Social source share

If you are able to access and view the UK BBC iPlayer Dante , this programme - if you have not seen it before - should also be of interest to you .

" Motor City's Burning : Detroit from Motown to the Stooges "

Malc Burton

Was that Mitch Rider,they used to do concerts in the nude huh.gif so i read

Edited by ken
Social source share

Was that Mitch Rider,they used to do concerts in the nude huh.gif so i read

No it was The Sooges Ken : according to any reviews i read for them , they always seemed to prefer performing bollock naked for some reason ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest Dante

Yeah, I'mma catch it too.

I remember someone here saying it was bullsh*t because it was more focused on the garage / rock scene than Motown and soul, but I'm a big fan of The Stooges, MC5 etc. so it'll be nice too.

As you can see, everything from Detroit is good to me.

Social source share

No it was The Sooges Ken : according to any reviews i read for them , they always seemed to prefer performing bollock naked for some reason ........

Malc Burton

They might have copied Mitch and the Dtown wheels ?laugh.gif i would have been to embaraced to watch ohmy.gif

MC5 are the bee's

Edited by ken
Social source share

They might have copied Mitch and the Dtown wheels ?laugh.gif i would have been to embaraced to watch ohmy.gif

MC5 are the bee's

Until I watched the " Requiem For Detroit " programme last night , I had not heard " Kick Out The Jams " since the old king died .

It was a pity they did not play more of it :lol:

Malc Burton

Social source share

Until I watched the " Requiem For Detroit " programme last night , I had not heard " Kick Out The Jams " since the old king died .

It was a pity they did not play more of it :lol:

Malc Burton

I'm gonna join the White Panthers..........biggrin.gif

Social source share

I'm gonna join the White Panthers..........biggrin.gif

I would join you Ken , but I would look a right mammary in a beret now ....... a geriatric Frank Spencer :lol:

Malc Burton

Social source share

I would join you Ken , but I would look a right mammary in a beret now ....... a geriatric Frank Spencer :lol:

Malc Burton

A donation will be okeh Malc hatsoff2.gifi'll start a uk branch.

Edited by ken
Social source share

Whilst I was aware of Detroits economic "demise", I only "scratched the surface" with regard to seeing too much of the City whilst there a couple of years back, but I can honestly say I was gobsmacked after watching last nights programme.....very very sad viewingsad.gif

Social source share

As most posters have said it is very sad to see such a stark decline of a city that bred so much talent.

I was aware of the decline before the programme last night as I've done a bit of research for a small project I've been working on and if anyone is interested, have a look at these photos on flickr - some fabulous buildings just left to rot...

Grande Ballroom 10/07

Mick

Social source share

I'm not sure but is this Detroit in the background to Marvin Gaye singing "What's going On" in 1973? If so you can see the decay then.

Paul

A mixture of declining US inner cities probably including Detroit as well as Chicago (some of the clip includes the 'L' and a blue & white with Chicago Police clearly imprinted).

Good track though - fabulous.

Mick

Social source share

Just had a thought that perhaps the decline of inner city Detroit isn't as sad as we might imagine.

There is something in Gerri Hirshey's book Nowhere To Run where she talks about the South 'pulling' Soul men like James Brown and Otis Redding back and their almost obsessive need to feel the Southern earth running through their fingers once again.

Bearing in mind that just about all of our heroes from the 60's originally came from the South then maybe those who 'made' it preferred to get away from the inner cities of the North (Detroit, Chicago, New York and Philadelphia) anyway and although some of the artists and musicians stayed when Motown upped sticks and moved out would I be wrong in thinking that most of these had had their day (in the eyes of Berry Gordy at least)?

Maybe I've got too much time on my hands to be so philosophicalbiggrin.gif

Mick

Social source share

Just had a thought that perhaps the decline of inner city Detroit isn't as sad as we might imagine.

There is something in Gerri Hirshey's book Nowhere To Run where she talks about the South 'pulling' Soul men like James Brown and Otis Redding back and their almost obsessive need to feel the Southern earth running through their fingers once again.

Bearing in mind that just about all of our heroes from the 60's originally came from the South then maybe those who 'made' it preferred to get away from the inner cities of the North (Detroit, Chicago, New York and Philadelphia) anyway and although some of the artists and musicians stayed when Motown upped sticks and moved out would I be wrong in thinking that most of these had had their day (in the eyes of Berry Gordy at least)?

Maybe I've got too much time on my hands to be so philosophical:D

Mick

Given it was Directed by JULIEN TEMPLE, it was strange to me that he he never really scratched the surface of the 'Soul' industry, not a single comment on all the record companies that mushroomed around Motown etc...I know it was centerd on the car industry and the general question of Economic development and collapse of Capitalist Consumerism but there was much mention of migration and Black labour etc, but very little of Black artistic creativity during the 50s and 60s. Nothing on the 'Top 20' club or given the fact that he honed in on buildings, nothing about any of the various Recording Studios either....Rather odd from a Culture Vulture like TEMPLE who would be very aware of Northern Soul I am sure. Shame, given it was beautifully filmed and very poignant in many ways.

'they don't give a damn about humans....' MITCH RYDER

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert