Who Holds A Note The Longest?

• Replies 38
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Go back and listen to The Dells 'Stay in My Corner'-got to be in with a shout.

Kev

Good shout Kev.

It's some seriously long note but, from memory only on the original VJ one, which (again from memory) is a longer track overall than the Chess take :thumbsup:.

Think the note Marvin holds is around 17 seconds, as it comes to the climax!

Fabulous too!

:huh:

Sean

Social source share

Every time I listen to the Philharmonics - I Need I need Your Love I am always bowled over by how long he holds that note for at the end.

18 seconds ffs! laugh.gif

Anyone know of a singer that holds a note for longer?

that honour must go to tezza , his vice like grip and his reluctance to go to the bar and buy a round, means he holds on to his notes for ages laugh.giflaugh.gif i did hear that he still has some white five pound notes yes.gif

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

David ruffin - walk away from love

before you break my heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

sublime !

Social source share

Not a massively long note on it, but KIM WESTON'S voice on 'That's Groovy' sounds as if she could hold a note forever if she chose and blow a house down with the amount of air in her lungs. I am always left in awe after listening to her on that.....'Me and all the girls wearing mini skirts!!!'......An absolutely awesome Singer at her peak and a great musical snapshot of an under-utilised and neglected ENORMOUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS VOCAL TALENT.thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Not a massively long note on it, but KIM WESTON'S voice on 'That's Groovy' sounds as if she could hold a note forever if she chose and blow a house down with the amount of air in her lungs. I am always left in awe after listening to her on that.....'Me and all the girls wearing mini skirts!!!'......An absolutely awesome Singer at her peak and a great musical snapshot of an under-utilised and neglected ENORMOUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS VOCAL TALENT.thumbsup.gif

yes! agree for once with you.laugh.gif .Fantastic social commentary lyrics.

Social source share

yes! agree for once with you.laugh.gif .Fantastic social commentary lyrics.

'We're going to a go-go after darkkkkkkkk!!!!'.....Great lyrics indeed!

Happy daysbiggrin.gif

Social source share

The longest note I've ever heard on a Northern record is by the singer of Sisters Love near the end of I'm Learning To Trust My Man, it must last for over 20 seconds, couldn't believe it when I first heard it and still can't!

I'm with you Pete and the gusto with which she sings it, It used to make me breathless.

Dave

Social source share

most quality singers can manage a single note, but for a range of octaves woven together like a classicaly trained voice, they dont come no better than the late,great linda jones.....nuff said!

rob.h

Fantastic singer agreed, but once you start talking about vocal range in terms of octaves and operatical ability levels, JACKIE WILSON sits truly head and shoulders above everybody in terms of that standard of vocal technique.thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest kid mohair

Every time I listen to the Philharmonics - I Need I need Your Love I am always bowled over by how long he holds that note for at the end.

Pete hartfield............mighty man...19 seconds.ohmy.gif

Social source share

Guest phillybuster

Good shout Kev.

It's some seriously long note but, from memory only on the original VJ one, which (again from memory) is a longer track overall than the Chess take g.gif.

Think the note Marvin holds is around 17 seconds, as it comes to the climax!

Fabulous too!

thumbsup.gif

Sean

The version on the "Whatever Turns You On" LP is about 32 seconds.Absolutely magic tones from the legend that is Marvin Junior.

Edited by phillybuster
Social source share

Fantastic singer agreed, but once you start talking about vocal range in terms of octaves and operatical ability levels, JACKIE WILSON sits truly head and shoulders above everybody in terms of that standard of vocal technique.thumbsup.gif

Got to agree with you there Rich.

Social source share

Guest phillybuster

The version on the "Whatever Turns You On" LP is about 32 seconds.Absolutely magic tones from the legend that is Marvin Junior.

Listen again,what a voice?

Edited by phillybuster
Social source share

Guest sean daniels

PAVARROTTI ?

Social source share

Guest SoulRenaissance

I've always marvelled at one of the finest singers ever, Eddie Levert of the O'Jays singing "It won't hurt". Fantastic. Not sure how long he holds the note for, but have a listen.

An all time fave 45 this.

Social source share

Well it is confusing, as there have been many notes held for a long time, but not in songs.

I'm pretty sure that it was in the Guinness bbok of records sometime that it was

Bill Withers - Lovely day, who held the note for 19 seconds.

If you go to 3 minutes 05 seconds into the song, you can marvel at this amazing feat.

Well worth listening to from the beginning anyway, it's an awesome track

Social source share

Well it is confusing, as there have been many notes held for a long time, but not in songs.

I'm pretty sure that it was in the Guinness book of records sometime that it was

Bill Withers - Lovely day, who held the note for 19 seconds.

If you go to 3 minutes 05 seconds into the song, you can marvel at this amazing feat.

Well worth listening to from the beginning anyway, it's an awesome track

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert