Rare Album ?

I see this album is causing a fair bit of a stir on Ebay. Got me thinking, what other Lp's are concidered very rare? This one is currently at $1675

https://cgi.ebay.com/...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

post-3008-12682211098602_thumb.jpg

For your consideration, we have: BLACK-OUT "New Sounds of '70" (Various Artists) double LP, featuring Anatics "Give It Away," Soul Sonics "Soul Pride," Carolyn Milas "I Made A Mistake," Chante's "How Can I Tell My Mom And Dad," and many others on Century Records, circa 1970. Never-offered, grail-status stage band LP from Oklahoma, featuring one disc soul and funk (including a cover of Marva Whitney's "I Made A Mistake") and one disc gospel. It's safe to say that this is one of the cleanest copies in existence of this extremely rare record. Check out the sound clips below, which contain portions of several songs. Let the bidding commence!

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

• Replies 37
  • Views 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Goldwax

The John Heartsman & Cirlcles LP (recently re-issued on the Jazzman Holy Grail series) must be up there. It twice went for $5k + last year.

Social source share

I see this album is causing a fair bit of a stir on Ebay. Got me thinking, what other Lp's are concidered very rare? This one is currently at $1675

https://cgi.ebay.com/...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

For your consideration, we have: BLACK-OUT "New Sounds of '70" (Various Artists) double LP, featuring Anatics "Give It Away," Soul Sonics "Soul Pride," Carolyn Milas "I Made A Mistake," Chante's "How Can I Tell My Mom And Dad," and many others on Century Records, circa 1970. Never-offered, grail-status stage band LP from Oklahoma, featuring one disc soul and funk (including a cover of Marva Whitney's "I Made A Mistake") and one disc gospel. It's safe to say that this is one of the cleanest copies in existence of this extremely rare record. Check out the sound clips below, which contain portions of several songs. Let the bidding commence!

Closed at $3700, now thats alot for any LP!!!!!

Social source share

Got me thinking, what other Lp's are concidered very rare?

I don't know much about LPs so me posting in this thread must be annoying to people who are experts and know a zillion 4 figure LPs, but the dynamic five LP on manhattan is expensive in the same sort of price range (despite a 45 from the LP coming out on UA). One of the most expensive LPs I know anyways.

Social source share

Again, I don't really know a lot about albums, and not as much as this one, but the "Turner Brothers" goes for a few quid, don't it? These albums aren't your traditional "Northern" albums, though. Is there a "Northern" album that goes for more than £200?

Des

There is the Jobete LP 'Yesterday, Today & Forever' That sells all day long at $800-$1000. This was put out by the publishing house to promote the back catalog and new tracks by HDH. Only pressed about 1000 copies and sent it out to other publishing houses to show what could be done with their material. They used an interesting group of artists to showcase the album, inc Wali Ali, Kathy McFarland (Jimmy's daughter), Sterling Harrison, Tyrone Barclay, Aja, Margo Michaels to name a few.

Also can't remember what the Len Barry lp sold for last time round on Manny's auction

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

There is the Jobete LP 'Yesterday, Today & Forever' That sells all day long at $800-$1000. This was put out by the publishing house to promote the back catalog and new tracks by HDH. Only pressed about 1000 copies and sent it out to other publishing houses to show what could be done with their material. They used an interesting group of artists to showcase the album, inc Wali Ali, Kathy McFarland (Jimmy's daughter), Sterling Harrison, Tyrone Barclay, Aja, Margo Michaels to name a few.

Also can't remember what the Len Barry lp sold for last time round on Manny's auction

Len Barry went for £900ish i think whistlingwhistling

Social source share

There's some good tracks on that album, I had the Margo Michaels cut onto a 7. Only problem is it's not long enough......would have liked an extended version......where's Neil Rushton when you need him? :thumbup:

Social source share

There's some good tracks on that album, I had the Margo Michaels cut onto a 7. Only problem is it's not long enough......would have liked an extended version......where's Neil Rushton when you need him? :thumbup:

Hi Steve

Used to Play The Family Affair and Kathy McFarland at Stafford to a good response

Social source share

Paid a pound for one,still sealed..............sold for £400, good triple though biggrin.gif still got another 4 jobete company lps i got in the same time,nice val mckenna(i think) mcsomebody anyway but not full tracks.

This bird......KATHY MCFARLAND - MEMORIES -

Edited by ken
Social source share

There's some good tracks on that album, I had the Margo Michaels cut onto a 7. Only problem is it's not long enough......would have liked an extended version......where's Neil Rushton when you need him? :laugh:

The dates on your signature are wrong Steve?

Yarmouth is 9th-11th April for a start!

Aren't you on at Soul People on 17th April too?

Get a grip man :laugh:

Steve

Social source share

Here are a couple of tracks from the Jobete LP

Don't know why, but when you cut and paste from Refo, it no longer has the play buttons

KATHY MCFARLAND - MEMORIES

soul-filler125.gif Artist: Kathy Mcfarland Label: Jobet

Track: memories

• soul-clips

earviews.gif54 (0 today) added by Dave Thorley (view all) on 03 Apr 07
Playlist Playbox infonode-w.gifplaynode-w.gif

WALI ALI - (OH I) NEED YOUR LOVIN
soul-filler125.gif Artist: Wali Ali Label: Jobete
Track: (oh i) need your lovin
  • soul-clips

earviews.gif130 (0 today) added by Dave Thorley (view all) on 03 Apr 07

FAMILY AFFAIR - YOU CAN'T STOP MY LOVIN'

soul-filler125.gif Artist: Family Affair Label: Jobett

Track: you can't stop my lovin

• soul-clips

earviews.gif42 (0 today) added by Dave Thorley (view all) on 20 Dec 06

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Go to the bottom of player underneath ebay list,cut and paste from there Dave.

KATHY MCFARLAND - MEMORIES -

WALI ALI - (OH I) NEED YOUR LOVIN -

FAMILY AFFAIR - YOU CAN'T STOP MY LOVIN' -

wave.gif

Where, on which page, sorry this site is starting to be too sophisticated. I know that sounds odd, but if everything takes more and more knowledge to use then it put of new posters/members. Also if in trying to put replies up, it takes me twice as long as before. I'll just stop posting and start spending more time on other sites. Sorry guys keep it simple, stupid, basic law of business.

Dave

Social source share

Where, on which page, sorry this site is starting to be too sophisticated. I know that sounds odd, but if everything takes more and more knowledge to use then it put of new posters/members. Also if in trying to put replies up, it takes me twice as long as before. I'll just stop posting and start spending more time on other sites. Sorry guys keep it simple, stupid, basic law of business.

Dave

Sorry Dave,find your toon...........press the play in pop out,and its at the bottom underneath.......its at the bottom aswell if you press the other button.

Press one of the tracks above you will see then,it cant be sophisicated cause i can do it.biggrin.gif

Press this FAMILY AFFAIR - YOU CAN'T STOP MY LOVIN' -

Just trying to help sorry !!

Edited by ken
Social source share

Sorry Dave,find your toon...........press the play in pop out,and its at the bottom underneath.......its at the bottom aswell if you press the other button.

Press one of the tracks above you will see then,it cant be sophisicated cause i can do it.biggrin.gif

Press this FAMILY AFFAIR - YOU CAN'T STOP MY LOVIN' -

OK found it, because you told me where it was. I could have searched for weeks to find that, sorry that isn't a simple solution. At least put it somewhere near the top of each refo player.

I know I'm maybe making a mountain out of a mole hill here. But why is it that this site is in continual change. Think of your readership/viewers. Are they some young, hip to every milli second of change on the internet bunch, or a bunch of old ludities that like old music and beat up old records.

Social source share

OK found it, because you told me where it was. I could have searched for weeks to find that, sorry that isn't a simple solution. At least put it somewhere near the top of each refo player.

I know I'm maybe making a mountain out of a mole hill here. But why is it that this site is in continual change. Think of your readership/viewers. Are they some young, hip to every milli second of change on the internet bunch, or a bunch of old ludities that like old music and beat up old records.

I'll put your concerns to the board,see if we can move it up the player and ebay at the bottom maybe.

Social source share

Not seen a Bobby Boyd for sale for a few years.

I always keep an eye out for this and a couple went through ebay last year. Also on Tiger Lilly is the Sounds of City Experience thats chunky money too. Wasn't this label some kind of tax fraud or drug dealing front?

On the boogie front Paradise Worlds Midnight is another one that will set you back a few pennies.

On anadjacent front I worked with a guy into classical music and would pay thousands for a paticular LP by a particular composer and a particular orchestra. He was also a big buyer of Japanese pressings. His entire house was fitted with a B&O sound system and his record deck was suspended on wires. I should have offered to play one of my styrene burned singles on itbiggrin.gif

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

This 'Blackout' Lp has been nagging at me all day so had a look through a box of stuff I got from Oklahoma and found it, have put sound file in refo section under the thread ' New To Soulsource'

One stunning Crossover track by Anatics and two other killer funk tracks by Soul Sonics and Carolyn Milas. The only trouble is that it's all live recordings, so when I found it must have thought interesting, but thats it and put in back in the box.

Social source share

Loads of rare LPs out there. It's a bit like saying what 45s go for a lot of money.

Dave T said "There is the Jobete LP 'Yesterday, Today & Forever' That sells all day long at $800-$1000"

Maybe it used to Dave, but the average selling price for that in the last 10 years has been less than £200.

Anyway, here are just a few of the rarer LPs that I have on my dusty shelves;

Tal Armstrong "Tallest man in love" (Love)

Gloria Barnes "Uptown" (Maple)

Beginning Of The End "Same" (Alston)

Conrad Benjamin "Saturn" (Nebula)

The Brief Encounter "Introducing..." (Seventy 7)

James Brown "Please, -please, please" (King)

Burton Inc. "Love will make you pay $$$" (Charli Barbara)

Cumulo Nimbus "Forty seven times it's own weight" (Fable)

Fillmotions "Young girls in motion" (Young Girl)

Tony Fox "The beginning" (Blaster)

Penny Goodwin "Portrait of a Gemini" (Sidney)

Eramus Hall "Your love is my desire" (Westbound)

Ron Henderson & Choice Of Colour "Soul junction" (Chelsea)

Love People "Sing it again" (Guinness)

Martha & The Vandellas "Come & get these memories" (Gordy)

Maxx Traxx "Same" (Pulse)

Miracles "Cookin' with the Miracles" (Tamla)

Mighty Ryeders "Help us spread the message" (Sun-Glo)

Newban "Newban" & "Newban 2" (Guinness)

New Sounds "Having you around" (Turbo)

Positive Change "same" (Fortress)

Pulse "Same" (Olde World)

Rayfield Reid & The Magnificents"Treat you right" (Ken-Tone)

Rivage "Sittin' on it" (Tempus)

Sons & Daughters Of Lite "Let the sun shine in" (Sunlite)

Space Ark "same" (Color World)

Spice "Let there be Spice" (TSG)

Spread Love "same" (Sunstar)

Steam Heat "Austin funk" (Fable)

Stone Free "Stone Free feat. Cecil Lyde" (Aladdin)

Superior Elevation "Get it, don't stop" (Black Satin)

Touch Of Class "Love means everything" (Stack o Hits)

Bobby Thurston "Sweetest piece of the pie" (Mainstream)

Ultimates "same" (Graham Int.)

Charles Williams "Love is a very special thing" (EMI Finland)

Edited by phillyDaveG
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert