Oldies V Newies V Old Newies V New Oldies

Northern Soul is a dirty word...............look how many fliers have R&B, Rare soul, crossover,modern etc etc and also include northern soul as an afterthought. Once upon a time you could see northern soul on a flyer and know what you were going to get....looks like if you just put northern soul people will be looking and assuming it's an oldies only event.Rare Soul on the flyer probably beat ballads/R&b/rockn roll/blues/midtempo/latin (no seventies).Wheres the middle ground. How about a northern Soul Event with a smattering of oldies and a load of newies that are as good as the oldies that are derided.Back to the deejays with quality control again and who have an ear and have an understanding of what people dance to...whistling.gif

I better chop my arm of then,dirty tatoo yuck.oldie's is the dirty word rolleyes.gif

Social source share

• Replies 199
  • Views 16.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Bearsy

=============================================================================================

Pardon me for stating the obvious (and I haven't read all of the posts so it may have been stated before)....................if an Oldie isn't played for so long that all of the 'Old Brigade' that knew and loved it (or even became bored with it) have died and the new blood has never heard it before then it must become a 'newie' when the young 'uns hear it for the first time....surely!

For goodnes sake let's mix it up.....there seem to be places like Rugby (no offence Sian) who will only have a minimum of Oldies (if any) and then the other extreme where you listen to the 'Top 500' every time.

Personally I don't subscribe to either...surely there's a sensible compromise that would please everyone if only for a rest after dancing to 10 on the trot that you loved!!!! (whichever way you swing)

Best

dogstoatsmile.gif

but what does everyone know or dont know ?? ive been in the scene only a few years and i know stuff some know it alls who have been in the scene 30 odd years dont know

whats a newie to me is an oldie to others etc etc etc

also depends on what part of the country you come from cos the music is certainly different oop norf to darn sarf thumbsup.gif

me i swing both ways ohmy.gif

Social source share

=============================================================================================

For goodnes sake let's mix it up.....there seem to be places like Rugby (no offence Sian) who will only have a minimum of Oldies (if any) and then the other extreme where you listen to the 'Top 500' every time.

I could never be offended at your posts Paul, they are never rude or nasty, just voicing your opinion...:wink:

I know it's hard for you, being away from the scene for so long and what a lot of people would call oldies are still new to you...a perfect example of our different views.

Social source share

Theres good music and bad music, simple as that.

Some oldies are cr*p. Some newies are cr*p.

Some newies are great, some oldies are great.

I understand that a lot of people don't want to hear the same old bores, myself included. And that includes some good soul records - I'd be delighted never to hear Mel Britt again, ever. I am bored to death of it.

But I always think that anyone that limits their choice to "oldies only" is somewhat musically retarded. :ohmy: It's the soul scene equivelent of those people that like Status Quo, Phil Collins etc. "because they always have" and despite the fact that acts like that haven't turned in a new tune for at least twenty years.

A large part of the enjoyment for me is hearing something new.:thumbsup:

Social source share

Theres good music and bad music, simple as that.

Some oldies are cr*p. Some newies are cr*p.

Some newies are great, some oldies are great.

I understand that a lot of people don't want to hear the same old bores, myself included. And that includes some good soul records - I'd be delighted never to hear Mel Britt again, ever. I am bored to death of it.

But I always think that anyone that limits their choice to "oldies only" is somewhat musically retarded. :ohmy: It's the soul scene equivelent of those people that like Status Quo, Phil Collins etc. "because they always have" and despite the fact that acts like that haven't turned in a new tune for at least twenty years.

A large part of the enjoyment for me is hearing something new.:thumbsup:

That post should keep the thread going another week now :ohmy: ..

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Yep...and there already enough Reliant Robins out their that do that job very well.laugh.gif

Can we introduce a DJ scrapage scheme?

I know what I'd rather see on the roads.

Social source share

it is a rare soul scene regardless what tag is given to it on flyers. Why you come to the assumption you do when you see rare soul advertised I don't know but I know many venues use the rare soul tag rather than northern soul and are not as you assume.

[quote name='wiggyflat' date='09 Mar 2010 - 10:08 PM' ti

mestamp='1268172531' post='1282286']

Ive looked....some quality stuff and all danceable..Don't suprise me with Sadot though because he can dance.Seems like you are doing the business.Is the playlist constantly changing or are you taking time to get certain tunes into peoples minds.I'm glad I'm not the only one on the same wavelength.This is the sort of stuff the oldies crowd would accept if it was introduced gradually.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

snapback.pngwiggyflat, on 09 Mar 2010 - 10:08 PM, said:

Ive looked....some quality stuff and all danceable..Don't suprise me with Sadot though because he can dance.Seems like you are doing the business.Is the playlist constantly changing or are you taking time to get certain tunes into peoples minds.I'm glad I'm not the only one on the same wavelength.This is the sort of stuff the oldies crowd would accept if it was introduced gradually.

I stick with some tunes trying to give them exposure, so people might become familiar with them...like Wally Coco, Grace, John Harris etc. BUT i also dont like to hammer tunes so that i become bored or sick of hearing them. I believe if you really love a tune you look after it and that includes not battering it week in week out (not that i dj much.ha!:laugh: ) until it becomes a background noise. You see some djs put tunes on and can see it does Nothing for them any more, no excitement or connection to it. I just dont have tunes like that in my box. If im bored when im djing , im going to be a boring dj. I also would never play something that i wouldnt dance to.

Small rooms like rugby back room, Move On, Room With A View, our cambridge venue and others are an important part of the scene, but fact is, thats what the Main rooms used to be originally like back in the day, full of new and exciting music.

I know that, if promoters had bigger cahoonies and varied the dj rosters, punters would love loads of the storming 60s/70s unknowns/underplayed tunes that are around. Its a crazy attitude not to....it assumes they think that they have heard everything and i know that they haven't.

Social source share

but what does everyone know or dont know ?? ive been in the scene only a few years and i know stuff some know it alls who have been in the scene 30 odd years dont know

also depends on what part of the country you come from cos the music is certainly different oop norf to darn sarf thumbsup.gif

That's it in a nutshell for me too Bearsy. I'm open minded enough to enjoy a Motown night one week and a rare soul night the next, as long as I have enough room to dance.

Spotted this number plate the other day........

post-2379-12682246313539_thumb.jpg

post-2379-12682246313539_thumb.jpg

Edited by Maark
Social source share

Guest JimSLH

God I love these posts so Fecking Funny :thumbup:

More More !!!!!!

For me Its a Mixture of both

but when there is a record with Rock & Roll repeatedly in the chorus to me its just not Soul its doo whop

as for newies feed them in if there good they will catch on

but are they newies ? or just found before in 70t's by the people who went to the us and discarded them as not good enough

so are we now scraping the bottom of the barrell or who ever has found this new track has all the rest in a lock up to sell at an inflated price at a later date

Social source share

God I love these posts so Fecking Funny thumbup.gif

More More !!!!!!

but when there is a record with Rock & Roll repeatedly in the chorus to me its just not Soul its doo whop

but are they newies ? or just found before in 70t's by the people who went to the us and discarded them as not good enough

so are we now scraping the bottom of the barrell or who ever has found this new track has all the rest in a lock up to sell at an inflated price at a later date

The style has also changed, peoples tastes evolve too......lots more funkier edged sounds played now. Tastes do change. I think of some of the 80s new releases we used to rave over, they sound dreadful now......

Social source share

I've heard so.

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

God I love these posts so Fecking Funny thumbup.gif

More More !!!!!!

wHY WOULD YOU WANT TO FEED IN NEWIES AT rarer and underplayed night g.gif

and why bother trying to feed them in at places the likes this thread starter goes to cos you will either get lynched or called every name under the sun for not sticking to the Wigan stomper only rule rolleyes.gif

keep the 2 scenes seperate cos some JUST DONT GET IT no.gifno.gifno.gif

Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

Daz.. people used to say exactly same things about Stafford as you are saying about the rare room at Stoke.

Hello my fellow soulie When i was in the army in aldershot in early 80's i used to spend many hours travelling to stafford to hear just what was on offer there as the only other places were 100 club (Guy Hennigan & Keb Darge) which i regulary attended, The other venue was morecambe which was to far to travel was where i was swayed from the run of the mill oldies and the later wigan sounds that were being played at wigan and ritz at the end of the 70's (if you play joe 90 your not for me) I Want to hear top new tunes that will make my fingers snap and toes tap lift the hairs on the neck stand on end (no powder required) I'm not knocking the early days as i love the oldies but i want to hear more of what what was once termed as 60's newies, Please everyone stop the bickering we all want the scene to live on, It's all about the music,

I would love to find a venue where i could play some under played oldies where the customers loved that style

Garry Huxley

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I'd rather not if it meant we had to shell out £2,000 for each box of moldie clapped out oldies.....laugh.gif

I'm not talking about crushing the records. It's a DJ scrapage scheme I'm suggesting.

You still got your RX8, Steve?unsure.gif

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

wHY WOULD YOU WANT TO FEED IN NEWIES AT rarer and underplayed night g.gif

and why bother trying to feed them in at places the likes this thread starter goes to cos you will either get lynched or called every name under the sun for not sticking to the Wigan stomper only rule rolleyes.gif

keep the 2 scenes seperate cos some JUST DONT GET IT no.gifno.gifno.gif

Well said that man , I totally agree

I can't fookin wait for a taste of honey thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

snapback.pngwiggyflat, on 09 Mar 2010 - 10:08 PM, said:

Ive looked....some quality stuff and all danceable..Don't suprise me with Sadot though because he can dance.Seems like you are doing the business.Is the playlist constantly changing or are you taking time to get certain tunes into peoples minds.I'm glad I'm not the only one on the same wavelength.This is the sort of stuff the oldies crowd would accept if it was introduced gradual

I stick with some tunes trying to give them exposure, so people might become familiar with them...like Wally Coco, Grace, John Harris etc. BUT i also dont like to hammer tunes so that i become bored or sick of hearing them. I believe if you really love a tune you look after it and that includes not battering it week in week out (not that i dj much.ha!laugh.gif ) until it becomes a background noise. You see some djs put tunes on and can see it does Nothing for them any more, no excitement or connection to it. I just dont have tunes like that in my box. If im bored when im djing , im going to be a boring dj. I also would never play something that i wouldnt dance to.

Small rooms like rugby back room, Move On, Room With A View, our cambridge venue and others are an important part of the scene, but fact is, thats what the Main rooms used to be originally like back in the day, full of new and exciting music.

I know that, if promoters had bigger cahoonies and varied the dj rosters, punters would love loads of the storming 60s/70s unknowns/underplayed tunes that are around. Its a crazy attitude not to....it assumes they think that they have heard everything and i know that they haven't.

Well done we need new toons

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Heres an observation,not sure if it,s pertinent to this thread. Been out and listened to a few well or semi well known dj,s who try and play some lesser known tunes (usually out of character with what they normally play),but they have no feeling for these tunes so it very soon comes to pass that their set is going "bandy" so they revert to the big and well known stuff that they are usually know for playing. When they come off of the stage many have said to me "see!all they want is oldies" try something a bit differant and they don,t want to know!!". What they really mean is that at the point that their set goes "Bandy" they don,t have a clue....so it,s they who revert to oldies,cause thats all THEY CAN DO!!!. Ya gotta love the tune first play it second.

Heres another point why do promoters book dj,s without the foggiest idea what kind of music they play. for instance l wouldn,t book KARL HERD for a big oldies night or GINGER TAYLOR for a modern night ,but sadly it happens all the time.......remember the right dj,s for the right kinda vibe atb dave

Social source share

Guest Byrney

Hiring Butch to play bog standard oldies? Isnt that like having a Ferrarri and sticking to the speed limit?

Also must be a tad frustrating knowing that most of the absolute corkers you've discovered / broke over the decades could very possibly clear the floor because they don't fall into the top 100. Can't get my head around being behind the decks and not being able to play Northern Classics like Diane Lewis - chance, Just Bros - Go On and Laugh, Mighty Lovers C/U etc etc

2 completely different scenes I guessshades.gif

Social source share

Guest Byrney

Maybe Butch is trying to win the war within....a bit like the Taliban in the UK having inside operatives. Anybody got a list of what he played then?

that'd be handy. I've asked many times for Butch, Mick H's etc playlist from Kings Hall threads - never got a reply. Just to see if they throw any current biggies in and how they went down thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Hello my fellow soulie When i was in the army in aldershot in early 80's i used to spend many hours travelling to stafford to hear just what was on offer there as the only other places were 100 club (Guy Hennigan & Keb Darge) which i regulary attended, The other venue was morecambe which was to far to travel was where i was swayed from the run of the mill oldies and the later wigan sounds that were being played at wigan and ritz at the end of the 70's (if you play joe 90 your not for me) I Want to hear top new tunes that will make my fingers snap and toes tap lift the hairs on the neck stand on end (no powder required) I'm not knocking the early days as i love the oldies but i want to hear more of what what was once termed as 60's newies, Please everyone stop the bickering we all want the scene to live on, It's all about the music,

I would love to find a venue where i could play some under played oldies where the customers loved that style

Garry Huxley

There are many many places that champion underplayed oldies mate, is that what you play??? collect????

For Kev H.....

I think Mace said the term is trot over.... :lol:

For the attention of Mr Trouble.... who decides on scrappage :) .... Would there be a department in the soul police that deal with this problem :lol:

Social source share

There are many many places that champion underplayed oldies mate, is that what you play??? collect????

For Kev H.....

I think Mace said the term is trot over.... :laugh:

For the attention of Mr Trouble.... who decides on scrappage :rolleyes: .... Would there be a department in the soul police that deal with this problem :chinstroke:

So Mace coined that one did he.Trot-over,of course!!!:D

Social source share

I'm not talking about crushing the records. It's a DJ scrapage scheme I'm suggesting.

You still got your RX8, Steve?unsure.gif

Well I'd agree with that.

Yup RX8 still going strong. Can't be long now before it er.......qualifies for a government scrappage scheme. :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

think too many people have too much time on there hands.

there should be no rules to state what can and can't be played at any venue. you have to use your imagination and be daring to play something different and songs you think will get people dancing. Don't like how it come accross as certain venues should not play mid tempo maybe that be a request so the dj can be cheeky and say sorry only play stompers

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

i'm sorry, but i think you're twisting the reality to fit your perceptions and political stance.

Also must be a tad frustrating knowing that most of the absolute corkers you've discovered / broke over the decades could very possibly clear the floor because they don't fall into the top 100. Can't get my head around being behind the decks and not being able to play Northern Classics like Diane Lewis - chance, Just Bros - Go On and Laugh, Mighty Lovers C/U etc etc

2 completely different scenes I guessshades.gif

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

i think there is a lot of truth in what you're saying here.

Heres an observation,not sure if it,s pertinent to this thread. Been out and listened to a few well or semi well known dj,s who try and play some lesser known tunes (usually out of character with what they normally play),but they have no feeling for these tunes so it very soon comes to pass that their set is going "bandy" so they revert to the big and well known stuff that they are usually know for playing. When they come off of the stage many have said to me "see!all they want is oldies" try something a bit differant and they don,t want to know!!". What they really mean is that at the point that their set goes "Bandy" they don,t have a clue....so it,s they who revert to oldies,cause thats all THEY CAN DO!!!. Ya gotta love the tune first play it second.

Heres another point why do promoters book dj,s without the foggiest idea what kind of music they play. for instance l wouldn,t book KARL HERD for a big oldies night or GINGER TAYLOR for a modern night ,but sadly it happens all the time.......remember the right dj,s for the right kinda vibe atb dave

Social source share

thats why even Butch never bothered in trying "new" stuff on the main hall. Quality set of quality oldies he played : Al Kent/Tommy Bush the ones for me that really got me movin' and a groovin'.....and you know what?? i know he loved every minute of that main hall. The guy has records and knowledge of records that most could and only ever dream of.......but a simple set of back to the basics worked!!

Yep and he's been playing that set for a while now hasnt he, last night wasnt the first time

Social source share

Okay I have just wasted my last 30 minutes on this, don't normally even read these but based on James' comments on Stafford thread and the PMs re his comments thought I should have a look see, nothing new, just lots of personal agendas and incredibly split views of 2 differing scenes. Nothing to change my mind that the nostalgia scene has little in common with any scene I am proud to have been involved in, but nothing worth challenging either. Nothing to make me change my mind that the nostalgia scene slowly strangled the "real" NS but the actual murder has definitely been people allegedly within the progressive side, however in the sake of making my time spent not totally worthless a few points I would make are

Very astute observation, not one I had thought about before but probably has more than a large chunk of truth in it.

i'm sorry, but i think you're twisting the reality to fit your perceptions and political stance.

What bit James, that there are 2 scenes or that Butch cares about playing new music.

Your implication here is he doesn't which I find very difficult to believe and I would suggest it is you twisting things to further state your change in stance and ever increasing love of all things Stoke.

And as for the not being 2 scenes, there are 104 variations of 2 very difference scenes, if you are now denying that then you are the David Irving of NS

i know he loved every minute of that main hall. The guy has records and knowledge of records that most could and only ever dream of.......but a simple set of back to the basics worked!!

By implication you are insinuating these records are better than Butch's discoveries of the last 20 years, which for many people they are not, and again it's a sad indictment of the terminally ill state of current scene that people even think there is any difference between what he has played over last 20 years and the sort of records that he plays at KH. Pathetic.

And literally going back to basics would surely be playing lots of new things alongside the older things, which until relatively recent times was the NS scene, another classic case of re-writing history, that sad but common English and American trait, ironically.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

What bit James, that there are 2 scenes or that Butch cares about playing new music.

Your implication here is he doesn't which I find very difficult to believe and I would suggest it is you twisting things to further state your change in stance and ever increasing love of all things Stoke.

And as for the not being 2 scenes, there are 104 variations of 2 very difference scenes, if you are now denying that then you are the David Irving of NS

Neither of those.

Butch is structurally dependent, and he understands that better than all on here, it seems. That is what makes him so good at what he does, it is what makes Butch the DJ rather than Mark the nerdy record collector.

The crown of thorns he wears when he DJs at Stoke is no different to the cross he nails himself to when he DJs at Lifeline. It's naive to imagine otherwise.

What are these secret shadowy PM meetings you are having? Opinions that are too important to share on a public forum? Shared truths kept from the public for the good of the scene, to save us all from destructive political unrest?

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest Byrney

Don't be sorry, but no twisting - its my thoughts on how frustrating it could be to have a box full of class stuff / oldies that you've dicovered but having to play a small sample of tunes, most of which were discoverd by others. that's all - simple.

In a way I'd like to get more emboiled in this discussion but TBH I'll be going over the same old ground, so signing out thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Don't be sorry, but no twisting - its my thoughts on how frustrating it could be to have a box full of class stuff / oldies that you've dicovered but having to play a small sample of tunes, most of which were discoverd by others. that's all - simple.

In a way I'd like to get more emboiled in this discussion but TBH I'll be going over the same old ground, so signing out thumbsup.gif

Ok, very fair point, I kind of agree with it although I don't think you totally understand what he is doing when he is DJing, see my response to Jocko.

Also, I believe you are very wrong about having to play top 100 at Stoke, it's a fallacy of composition spread by the 'newies upfront' record room rats that is not the real truth, at the very least you are drawing hasty generalisations.

And like you I am thinking this is going to go over the same ground, yet again. I've tried to look at it from another angle, but unless any others can follow my tangent I'll be signing out soon as well...

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Neither of those.

Butch is structurally dependent, and he understands that better than all on here, it seems. That is what makes him so good at what he does, it is what makes Butch the DJ rather than Mark the nerdy record collector.

The crown of thorns he wears when he DJs at Stoke is no different to the cross he nails himself to when he DJs at Lifeline. It's naive to imagine otherwise.

What are these secret shadowy PM meetings you are having? Opinions that are too important to share on a public forum? Shared truths kept from the public for the good of the scene, to save us all from destructive political unrest?

Wait oh my brothers the great day will be soon upon us.We must Try A Little Harder The (in)

Fidels will have their awakening. We now have one operative in their camp and he was welcomed like a brother.A true brave soldier who has masked himself as the oh oldie one....We have a young troubled soldier who is willing to enter the room of a thousand flares and wear the mask of Frank Wilson (their false god).The call to arms brothers is when we get the signal from both. They will dump their boxes of false history and pull out the true righteous (brothers) path......the hallowed vinyl will be played and an onslaught will ensue.We will watch the baggied heathens scatter and the power of the newie sent from our forefathers from Mecca who lost their way take over this old Souless land.......watch out for a signal...the call to arms will be a newies versus oldie battle in the spirit of the pacifier God Ritz who took us to the angry.gif Carwash and the mouth of Jaws.

Social source share

think too many people have too much time on there hands.

there should be no rules to state what can and can't be played at any venue. you have to use your imagination and be daring to play something different and songs you think will get people dancing. Don't like how it come accross as certain venues should not play mid tempo maybe that be a request so the dj can be cheeky and say sorry only play stompers

SPOT ON! I cant understand venues that say uptempo stormers only all night or just mid tempo etc...just hire djs you respect, have heard and trust.

Social source share

Spot on here!!

You see some djs put tunes on and can see it does Nothing for them any more, no excitement or connection to it. I just dont have tunes like that in my box. If im bored when im djing , im going to be a boring dj. I also would never play something that i wouldnt dance to.

Edited by geeselad
Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

well geeselad is spot on maybe not to play tunes you don't like or follow and leave it to others but unlikuty ree most here i don't know all the tunes and i go to record fairs and buy records i don't know only to play thenm when i get home to see what they are like but they are good for collection and plus having them on cd would be well for if i was getting a radio show

but one other thing is requests should be played by DJ's as and when asked if they have the tunes, some only get a few in a set and i hate to name names for some DJ's i seen out in Peterborough but they say will play a tune and you never hear it from the DJ which dosen't please me. I know for one have even had a venue or 2 it's been asked for and when i do ask for it cause it's not played for a few times. they still get funny with it same as times it was played everytime i went out

Social source share

same old same old

why do some people on here think that their take on todays scene is the one and only take and everyone else is either wrong, deranged or sheepfodder;

why do so many on here think we are an elite cadre and no other genre of music past or present is anywhere near as good,

and are even condescending and patronising towards fellow members on here.

surely one,s take on the music is a personnal thing within this wide spectrum of our music and as such ones opinions should be respected for what it is, ie, as good as anybody elses.

we are not talkin about life and death here its just a form of entertainment and if people cant see that then god help us..

unless you come on here with an agenda ie,to promote youself , a venue or event or even a piece of music or record

and thats where the fun starts , the claws come out and integrity and good faith go out of the window

ktf b

Edited by barney
Social source share

why do some people on here think that their take on todays scene is the one and only take and everyone else is either wrong, deranged or sheepfodder;

I think the science of psychology has something to say about that. It would probably go something along the lines of intrinsic features of human psychology like:

a) anchoring-people select an initial set of values and stay with that;

b) conceit-people can't acknowledge that they are wrong, even when they are;

c) irrationality-people lack the capacity for rationality and are therefore incapable of conducting debate in the desired spirit.

Some psychologists would probably say that conducting this kind of debate is a futile exercise, if knowledge and understanding is our goalhatsoff2.gif

Social source share

Not my quote mate, my piont is I've heard that set more than once, or very similar ones in different orders.

By implication you are insinuating these records are better than Butch's discoveries of the last 20 years, which for many people they are not, and again it's a sad indictment of the terminally ill state of current scene that people even think there is any difference between what he has played over last 20 years and the sort of records that he plays at KH. Pathetic.

And literally going back to basics would surely be playing lots of new things alongside the older things, which until relatively recent times was the NS scene, another classic case of re-writing history, that sad but common English and American trait, ironically.

Edited by geeselad
Social source share

but one other thing is requests should be played by DJ's as and when asked if they have the tunes, some only get a few in a set and i hate to name names for some DJ's i seen out in Peterborough but they say will play a tune and you never hear it from the DJ which dosen't please me. I know for one have even had a venue or 2 it's been asked for and when i do ask for it cause it's not played for a few times. they still get funny with it same as times it was played everytime i went out

Edited by geeselad
Social source share

same old same old

why do so many on here think we are an elite cadre and no other genre of music past or present is anywhere near as good,

and are even condescending and patronising towards fellow members on here.

surely one,s take on the music is a personnal thing within this wide spectrum of our music and as such ones opinions should be respected for what it is, ie, as good as anybody elses.

we are not talkin about life and death here its just a form of entertainment and if people cant see that then god help us..

unless you come on here with an agenda ie,to promote youself , a venue or event or even a piece of music or record

and thats where the fun starts , the claws come out and integrity and good faith go out of the window

ktf b

You are late Barney............. way over do mate, been expecting you for days :laugh: ..................while I'm here & this is a serious question, what exactly does your signature mean ?

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

ok, thats it, i never slagged off anyone in person and nor would i, i have the same taste in music as we all have on here and its called northern soul and if its any good ( by "it's" i mean the currant crop of "rare" tunes) then yes they will eventually make it to the main halls of any venue.

Well clearly don't have the same taste as me, since my taste is for soul, whether it be from 1960 or 2010.

..please continue peeps, it's all very entertainingbiggrin.gif

Social source share

Well clearly don't have the same taste as me, since my taste is for soul, whether it be from 1960 or 2010.

Spot on. Are'nt we all Soul fans and its not just about the tempo either. I can remember Cleethorpes pier in the late 70's some of that stuff was absolutely fantastic and I can't remember any criticism as it was just full of soulies. But in today's terms some of that stuff would now be called modern and unacceptable by certain quarters me thinks. KTF Paul

Social source share

Guest REVILOT

The Northern Soul "scene" is whatever anyone wants it to be.

Nobody owns the rights to it - although some may think they do.

It does not need posturing / in fighting etc. although like in any family it is inevitable.

What it needs to survive, and everyone knows it really, is both sides of this discussion.

We need a healthy respect for the past, classic oldies etc, if only as a bench mark,

AND a thirst for more newies and the reactivation of lesser known gems.

There is room for all, and at some venues a room for each.

The seemingly two separate sides are really two sides of the same coin.

Heads or tails if you enjoy both you are bound to win.

So heads up to all and to coin a phrase - frankly,I don't give a toss hatsoff2.gif

Social source share