Oldies V Newies V Old Newies V New Oldies

Just woke up and after my initial posting on the night i feel more needs to be said as some of you just dont get it yet.

The "rare room" as one of you put it at no time was as you say banging and it really does need to stay in the "other" room and not make it to the main room. The main room last night was the way it was because it stuck to the tried and tested method of playing well known kick ass oldies. I may well be stuck in the past but the thing is the past works!!

You know as well as i do that if anyone DJ last night strayed from the "oldies" path they would have cleared the floor, thats why even Butch never bothered in trying "new" stuff on the main hall. Quality set of quality oldies he played : Al Kent/Tommy Bush the ones for me that really got me movin' and a groovin'.....and you know what?? i know he loved every minute of that main hall. The guy has records and knowledge of records that most could and only ever dream of.......but a simple set of back to the basics worked!!

Dedicated nighters for the rare and underplayed stuff exist for that purpose and IF there is any sounds that are good enough to live in the oldies sets of main stream dj's then spot on, but dont ram them down our throats because a dj has payed X amount of £'s so it must be good.........wrong, yes it may well be rare and yes in a collectors market fetch alot of money but those two factors dont mean that the 45 is any good and even deserve to be played at any nighter.

Kings Hall is what it is and it has tried to cater for all tastes over the years but last night i got a sense that it finally got it as well, proper oldies kick ass and make a venue of its status what it should be everytime it opens its doors, and thats a sweaty culdrum of hundreds of souls having a stormer.

Last night was one of the best nighters i have EVER been to and i been going 27yrs....i know what i like and what i dont like, at the time Stafford struck the same cord with me although i went to most of them purly because the upstairs oldies room was ace, having said that most of the stuff played in that main room Have crossed over into main stream dj's sets and thats because they was still quality dance toons that very easily were able to stand the test of time, but here is the main point about todays "new" stuff, it just has not got that bish bosh wollop you will fookin dance kind of thing going on except the odd one or two unlike Staffords majority of stuff that was played.

Social source share

• Replies 199
  • Views 16.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Just woke up and after my initial posting on the night i feel more needs to be said as some of you just dont get it yet.

The "rare room" as one of you put it at no time was as you say banging and it really does need to stay in the "other" room and not make it to the main room. The main room last night was the way it was because it stuck to the tried and tested method of playing well known kick ass oldies. I may well be stuck in the past but the thing is the past works!!

You know as well as i do that if anyone DJ last night strayed from the "oldies" path they would have cleared the floor, thats why even Butch never bothered in trying "new" stuff on the main hall. Quality set of quality oldies he played : Al Kent/Tommy Bush the ones for me that really got me movin' and a groovin'.....and you know what?? i know he loved every minute of that main hall. The guy has records and knowledge of records that most could and only ever dream of.......but a simple set of back to the basics worked!!

Dedicated nighters for the rare and underplayed stuff exist for that purpose and IF there is any sounds that are good enough to live in the oldies sets of main stream dj's then spot on, but dont ram them down our throats because a dj has payed X amount of £'s so it must be good.........wrong, yes it may well be rare and yes in a collectors market fetch alot of money but those two factors dont mean that the 45 is any good and even deserve to be played at any nighter.

Kings Hall is what it is and it has tried to cater for all tastes over the years but last night i got a sense that it finally got it as well, proper oldies kick ass and make a venue of its status what it should be everytime it opens its doors, and thats a sweaty culdrum of hundreds of souls having a stormer.

Last night was one of the best nighters i have EVER been to and i been going 27yrs....i know what i like and what i dont like, at the time Stafford struck the same cord with me although i went to most of them purly because the upstairs oldies room was ace, having said that most of the stuff played in that main room Have crossed over into main stream dj's sets and thats because they was still quality dance toons that very easily were able to stand the test of time, but here is the main point about todays "new" stuff, it just has not got that bish bosh wollop you will fookin dance kind of thing going on except the odd one or two unlike Staffords majority of stuff that was played.

I dont want to take anything away from what sounds like another great Night at The Kings Hall, but it would be nice if you could have left out the slagging off of the current scene. You like what you like, which is great & I'm pleased you had a good night, but if you had been at Lifeline the week before you would have seen a rammed dancefloor all night to lesser known 'Rare' sounds, other venues around the country that cater for the current scene as opposed to the nostalgia scene are generally well attended too................Stoke does what it says on the can & long may it continue to do so.......just cos you like ya oldies tho, doesnt mean that there arnt relevant current plays that wont wont eventually find there way to Stokes Main Room.

Extremely pleased it was a great night & that you had a good un, but please refrain from the mud slingin' in ya review .............after all, which comes first, the Newie or the oldie, when we get bored of em, you can boot em & av a listen in the oldies venues..........wink.gif.

Russ

Social source share

I dont want to take anything away from what sounds like another great Night at The Kings Hall, but it would be nice if you could have left out the slagging off of the current scene. You like what you like, which is great & I'm pleased you had a good night, but if you had been at Lifeline the week before you would have seen a rammed dancefloor all night to lesser known 'Rare' sounds, other venues around the country that cater for the current scene as opposed to the nostalgia scene are generally well attended too................Stoke does what it says on the can & long may it continue to do so.......just cos you like ya oldies tho, doesnt mean that there arnt relevant current plays that wont wont eventually find there way to Stokes Main Room.

Extremely pleased it was a great night & that you had a good un, but please refrain from the mud slingin' in ya review .............after all, which comes first, the Newie or the oldie, when we get bored of em, you can boot em & av a listen in the oldies venues..........:wink:.

Russ

Well said Russ ..... took words right out of my mouth !!

Social source share

Guest chorleybloke

Extremely pleased it was a great night & that you had a good un, but please refrain from the mud slingin' in ya review .............after all, which comes first, the Newie or the oldie, when we get bored of em, you can boot em & av a listen in the oldies venues..........wink.gif.

Russ

Being an expat, I suppose my view of the world is a little less complacent. Good observation Russ, I'm equally satisfied at Stoke as I am at Lifeline. It's all too easy to become either "an elitist" rare fan or "a prehistoric" oldies fan. Don't lose the plot folks - because ITS ALL GOODthumbup.gif and labels aren't really all that necessary.

Cheers............Pete

Social source share

27 years sound about average, i'll put myself another 10 on top of that, im not looking for a Billy t-shirt either. You cant compare the Kings hall with Lifeline or any venue, Kevs got the recipe right and so has Andy. Any other promoter who does a venue has also got it right. I did Lifeline last week and Kings hall last night, that sounds another Billy t-shirt on the way. 2 different music policys, if cant adjust its your problem. As Russ said, you cant compare. Oh by the way that was a good night last night.

Billythumbsup.gif

Social source share

Russ

Russ, am I missing something here....isn't this a severe case of pot/ kettle/ black ?rolleyes.gif

Being an expat, I suppose my view of the world is a little less complacent. Good observation Russ, I'm equally satisfied at Stoke as I am at Lifeline. It's all too easy to become either "an elitist" rare fan or "a prehistoric" oldies fan. Don't lose the plot folks - because ITS ALL GOODthumbup.gif and labels aren't really all that necessary.

Cheers............Pete

hatsoff2.gif Well said that man!

Social source share

Ooo hang on a min, i never said that lifeline or any other venue that caters for that "other" style of music should not be, thats my point it should be, but please dont try to "educate" us dino's into something that we dont want, you got your venues we got ours lets leave it at that and lets not mix the two up into one happy nighter as it dont work.

After all you can always go into the main room and have a good night whereas myself i cannot go into your room and do the same as to me IMHO thats all it is an opinion, the stuff your listening to these days is what was called tape music, good for listening to and chillin to on a long drive home from a nighter but never good enough to be played at venues. IMHO.

Social source share

Ooo hang on a min, i never said that lifeline or any other venue that caters for that "other" style of music should not be, thats my point it should be, but please dont try to "educate" us dino's into something that we dont want, you got your venues we got ours lets leave it at that and lets not mix the two up into one happy nighter as it dont work.

After all you can always go into the main room and have a good night whereas myself i cannot go into your room and do the same as to me IMHO thats all it is an opinion, the stuff your listening to these days is what was called tape music, good for listening to and chillin to on a long drive home from a nighter but never good enough to be played at venues. IMHO.

Please read the post properly. I dont mind what your preferences musically are, but would be nice if you could refrain from your incorrect opinions on what after all is the contemporary NS Scene. I have no problem with Stoke what so ever & made that quite clear in my initial post, I have been to Stoke & enjoyed the nighters there, particularly the Modern Room when it was open, whilst I havnt been since the new room has been open, I think Kev seems to have got it right again from the feedback. My issue is not with Stoke, Oldies, Kev or anything else to do with this Nighter, my sole observation was your incorrect opinion about anything that is not considered an 'Oldie' by you..........you are wrong, although I respect your opinion. You are making assumptions about the music played on the CURRENT NS Scene that are incorrect, I dont want to educate anybody, you dance to what you want, I dont really care, what I do care about though, is the caual lurkers on SS who will be given the wrong impression by your incorrect opinion on other events that are not exclusively 'oldies'.

Once again I want to make it quite clear, that this is not about slagging off Oldies or the people who enjoy them, its about your totally wrong impression of the current scene. If you would like to start another thread that compares recent discoveries, I would be more than happy to contribute, however based on comments from your post my impression is that you dont really know what is being played on the current scene, so couldnt take part in a debate of that nature...........I'm lucky I think, as I appreciate good quality oldies alongside all the other wonderful genres of black music that has been played on this fantastic scene, I just feel sorry that you could be missing some pretty good stuff through being totally blinkered, have a wander into the 'other' room & stay there longer than a few records, have an open mind & heart & try to remember when you first heard your fave oldies, you might be suprised, its your choice of course & at the risk of repeating myself, I dont mind if you dont want to hear this stuff, just dont put other people off hearing it, thru your misguided opinions.

Russ

Social source share

Other promotors please i beg of you(if any went they will know what i am on about) run your nighters this way, its the only way. It was fantastic start to finish, not even gonna bother naming best dj's as they IMHO have all had a slap on the wrist and told not to fook about playin' boring mid tempo dross and get on with playin to the crowd and boy did they do that ............Fantastic each and everyone of them.

Just how it used to be and just how it still can and should be.

Nuff said, utterly wasted, bed time!!

I hope to god, Burnley never gets run this way

Social source share

Guest Simon

Other promotors please i beg of you(if any went they will know what i am on about) run your nighters this way, its the only way. It was fantastic start to finish, not even gonna bother naming best dj's as they IMHO have all had a slap on the wrist and told not to fook about playin' boring mid tempo dross and get on with playin to the crowd and boy did they do that ............Fantastic each and everyone of them.

Just how it used to be and just how it still can and should be.

Nuff said, utterly wasted, bed time!!

Slightly patronising as you're assuming noone in the crowd wanted to hear anything mid tempo, if i'd have been there (which is highly unlikely) i'd have wanted to hear a good mix of styles & tempos.

Also rather sad if you have to slap djs on the wrist to get them to play what you want, a good promoter will always book djs he/she has faith in & entrust them to read the crowd.

Simon

Social source share

yes very tedious why bother slagging other peoples taste when the topic starter clearly has NONE

ok, thats it, i never slagged off anyone in person and nor would i, i have the same taste in music as we all have on here and its called northern soul and if its any good ( by "it's" i mean the currant crop of "rare" tunes) then yes they will eventually make it to the main halls of any venue.

Me thinks you got me all misunderstood and think i only like the BITD tunes that we all know and love, you could not be more wrong. My point is this, all northern was at some point when first discovered was a "newie" and that even goes for your main stream oldies, at some point they would have been played for the first time and in 99% of those times it would have been many yrs after the record was made. Now from what i am hearing today compared to say Stafford then there is NO contest, the sounds that was played at Stafford have now gone on to become part of the "oldies" scene because they had Dancability, great thumping backing vocals, arrangements that just grabbed a hold of you and forced you to listen. Its just not enough on its own to be a good soul record as it appears from todays new plays.

Now all of that said its only my opinion, i do not try to influance others on what they should or should not listen and dance to, but what i will say is that you will NEVER get the atmosphere from this new stuff if it was to be played in the main room at Stoke and to my way of thinking its all about the atmosphere that makes a nighter so so or just plain fooking brilliant as it was on Sat eve.

I may have this all tits up and arse backwards, but please dont slag me because i like big venues, big crowd, big atmosphere, and most of all big tunes played, is that not what its all about dancing your tits off to the high keys, lou ragland,malibus, yes even rock pop blue eyed "manys the slip" or is this something else i have got wrong.........i dont think so.

THE best tune that you could call a "newie" to be played over the last few years is the "perisians" twinkle little star or the traditions whichever floats your boat, but even this tune aint new its been around for many many yrs just never played. The point being come up with tunes of that quality and oomph then your onto a winner.

Educate me please!!

Social source share

Guest mvb031259

Please try and keep on topic. This is a lookback thread, the purpose of which is to say whether you enjoyed it or otherwise. Please try not to turn this into yet another oldies/underplayed discussion.

Very well put, how people want to comment on a thread THEY NEVER ATTENDED is beyond me shhh.gif ...... If people want to make a comment on a thread of how much they enjoy oldies, rare whatever thats up to them...... To me it only becomes a problem when people comment on a thread they never attended comparing it to other venues..... Me personally i like what i like and i can't stand modern and a lot of the rare stuff is not to my taste, just because it's rare don't mean it's any good. But i never go on a modern or rare thread and start knocking the event or it's promoters, each to their own i say but don't comment if you ain't been, and don't try to promote other venues/events on a thread dedicated to a another event..... Seems strange to me most all who attended K.H are saying what a fantastic night yet people who never went want to tell us we didn't or it aint as good as somewhere else g.gif KEEP TO TOPIC PLEASE

Edited by mvb031259
Social source share

the main point about todays "new" stuff, it just has not got that bish bosh wollop you will fookin dance kind of thing going on except the odd one or two unlike Staffords majority of stuff that was played.

Totally respect your perspective on things.. And we do live in a supposed world of free speech - which, after reading your post, I thought I'd get my twopenny worth in, relative to the elements of your post I've highlighted in red & in order to set the records straight..

What total BO**OCKS !!

The ones that 'just don't get it' are those that still think they're in their late teens an early twenty's.. Stuck in a groove that, although extremely important to the Soul Music scene's history, is - just that - HISTORY !!

I can only hazard a guess at this, but I'm presuming you only attend those types of promotions that cater for the more nostalgic amongst us and one's that have a policy of 'oldies'. Nothing wrong in that whatsoever !! To each their own, as they say, but I feel it necessary to point out that not all 'up-front' or 'progressive' promotions are the type where you'd go if you wanted to slow dance all night.

There are several successful promotions out there - but I'll use just one as my example in relation to the tempo, style, and quality of tunes that you feel only those 'tried and tested - for nearly FOUR decades, now - can offer..

Move On S.C. in Coventry. Attendees to this promotion are fully aware, and even now expect, that a decent percentage of stuff played is gonna be new to the ears. But each and every one of 'em have the class & quality elements of those 'classic' oldies you favour so much. And if dancing to excellent soul tunes is your bag, then you'd better book your space on the dance floor in advance !! As 'Uptempo & 'Kicking' as 'Uptempo and Kicking' could possibly be !! Don't get me wrong.. Some of those timeless classic oldies get spun too - but are normally of the rarer variety, and mixed in with DJ sets to compliment the other tunes.

These other tunes I just mentioned are ALSO oldies.. TOMORROWS oldies !! And there are several other regular monthly promotions around the country that will offer you the exact same.

I don't knock your personal tastes or preferences in any way - same as I wouldn't expect you to knock mine, or anyone else's, and this posting is more an educational one - to correct infactual statements included in your post.

SEEK and thou shalt FIND..

Fingers

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

Totally respect your perspective on things.. And we do live in a supposed world of free speech - which, after reading your post, I thought I'd get my twopenny worth in, relative to the elements of your post I've highlighted in red & in order to set the records straight..

What total BO**OCKS !!

The ones that 'just don't get it' are those that still think they're in their late teens an early twenty's.. Stuck in a groove that, although extremely important to the Soul Music scene's history, is - just that - HISTORY !!

I can only hazard a guess at this, but I'm presuming you only attend those types of promotions that cater for the more nostalgic amongst us and one's that have a policy of 'oldies'. Nothing wrong in that whatsoever !! To each their own, as they say, but I feel it necessary to point out that not all 'up-front' or 'progressive' promotions are the type where you'd go if you wanted to slow dance all night.

There are several successful promotions out there - but I'll use just one as my example in relation to the tempo, style, and quality of tunes that you feel only those 'tried and tested - for nearly FOUR decades, now - can offer..

Move On S.C. in Coventry. Attendees to this promotion are fully aware, and even now expect, that a decent percentage of stuff played is gonna be new to the ears. But each and every one of 'em have the class & quality elements of those 'classic' oldies you favour so much. And if dancing to excellent soul tunes is your bag, then you'd better book your space on the dance floor in advance !! As 'Uptempo & 'Kicking' as 'Uptempo and Kicking' could possibly be !! Don't get me wrong.. Some of those timeless classic oldies get spun too - but are normally of the rarer variety, and mixed in with DJ sets to compliment the other tunes.

These other tunes I just mentioned are ALSO oldies.. TOMORROWS oldies !! And there are several other regular monthly promotions around the country that will offer you the exact same.

I don't knock your personal tastes or preferences in any way - same as I wouldn't expect you to knock mine, or anyone else's, and this posting is more an educational one - to correct infactual statements included in your post.

Fingers

VERY WELL PUT JOHN! WORDS OF WISDOM INDEED.
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

its rare it aint played at an oldies doo SO it must be shit tumbleweed3.gif

im watching coronation streets september 23rd episode from 1973 for the 3,486 time, its fooking awsome i can talk along to every word thumbup.gif

Social source share

Traditions/Parisians a newie? Do me a favour, it's been played for years.

Educate? Why bother, sounds to me like you aren't even interested in listening. Have you tried venues like Lifeline?

ok, thats it, i never slagged off anyone in person and nor would i, i have the same taste in music as we all have on here and its called northern soul and if its any good ( by "it's" i mean the currant crop of "rare" tunes) then yes they will eventually make it to the main halls of any venue.

Me thinks you got me all misunderstood and think i only like the BITD tunes that we all know and love, you could not be more wrong. My point is this, all northern was at some point when first discovered was a "newie" and that even goes for your main stream oldies, at some point they would have been played for the first time and in 99% of those times it would have been many yrs after the record was made. Now from what i am hearing today compared to say Stafford then there is NO contest, the sounds that was played at Stafford have now gone on to become part of the "oldies" scene because they had Dancability, great thumping backing vocals, arrangements that just grabbed a hold of you and forced you to listen. Its just not enough on its own to be a good soul record as it appears from todays new plays.

Now all of that said its only my opinion, i do not try to influance others on what they should or should not listen and dance to, but what i will say is that you will NEVER get the atmosphere from this new stuff if it was to be played in the main room at Stoke and to my way of thinking its all about the atmosphere that makes a nighter so so or just plain fooking brilliant as it was on Sat eve.

I may have this all tits up and arse backwards, but please dont slag me because i like big venues, big crowd, big atmosphere, and most of all big tunes played, is that not what its all about dancing your tits off to the high keys, lou ragland,malibus, yes even rock pop blue eyed "manys the slip" or is this something else i have got wrong.........i dont think so.

THE best tune that you could call a "newie" to be played over the last few years is the "perisians" twinkle little star or the traditions whichever floats your boat, but even this tune aint new its been around for many many yrs just never played. The point being come up with tunes of that quality and oomph then your onto a winner.

Educate me please!!

Edited by chalky
Social source share

THE best tune that you could call a "newie" to be played over the last few years is the "perisians" twinkle little star or the traditions whichever floats your boat, but even this tune aint new its been around for many many yrs just never played.

Traditions/Parisians a newie? Do me a favour, it's been played for years.

Educate? Why bother, sounds to me like you aren't even interested in listening. Have you tried venues like Lifeline?

Doh! is what your sayin not what i said??? its been around for yrs.......I KNOW!!

Social source share

but you said just never been played, well it has, for years, make your mind up.

THE best tune that you could call a "newie" to be played over the last few years is the "perisians" twinkle little star or the traditions whichever floats your boat, but even this tune aint new its been around for many many yrs just never played.

Doh! is what your sayin not what i said??? its been around for yrs.......I KNOW!!

Social source share

What total BO**OCKS !!

Fingers

Mate have been to them all! Lifeline/ Middleton/ Burnley/Bidds and IF you read my posts properly you will see that i have not slagged any of them off, far from it, like you say each to their own, so why is it i cant have my personal taste without people sayin i am living in the past, if its what i like then thats it really is it not.

So you sayin your correcting my infactual comments is as you put it "utter Bollocks" YOUR OPINION is unless you are the oricle or something your view,it dont make it fact. It just makes it your view.

And why oh why do the oldies played at YOUR events have to be of the rarer variety? what makes a £10 tune more acceptable to be played than a £500 pound tune? i have no idea. And besides most of your expensive oldies in todays market are not even rare, i know i have had them and sold them.

Not rare!! Many many copys about : cecil washington / Tomangoes/ servicemen/ paris/

Dog Rare is the likes of jimmy burns / william powell / eddie parker/ nabay

top of my head there must be £20K in that little lot just there, yet they all been bootlegged or repressed, and just a side issue i have owned all but three over the years (originals)

Social source share

looks like the plots beeen lost here you slag new sounds of you dont give the time of day to listen too then you dont want to hear them at nighters well iv'e been on the scene 36 years this year and as far as i can remember new records have always been played in the main room at every nighter iv'e ever been too the new sounds of today are the oldies of tomorrow , i know you won't agree example mello souls been round since 85 great record just being accepted by the oldies crowd:thumbup::thumbup:

Social source share

Guest rasfoz

You cant believe someone could write a lookback f--k it & up get everyone at it ,:thumbup: when everyones at an age to know better , ask mr dakin to take it back & it will be like nothing ever happened:innocent:whistling:wicked:shades

Social source share

What total BO**OCKS !!

Fingers

Now this a club I would attend.... a night of newly discovered uptempo northern soul dancers. I bet slowies are an end record as well and not halfway through a set.Are there any clubs that have a similar music policy?.Its either a night of worn out oldies or a night of midtempo/r&b/slowies and obscurities.Where is the middle ground?

Social source share

looks like the plots beeen lost here you slag new sounds of you dont give the time of day to listen too then you dont want to hear them at nighters well iv'e been on the scene 36 years this year and as far as i can remember new records have always been played in the main room at every nighter iv'e ever been too the new sounds of today are the oldies of tomorrow , i know you won't agree example mello souls been round since 85 great record just being accepted by the oldies crowdthumbup.gifthumbup.gif

36 years on the scene, send me your home address offline i'll get a billy t-shirt off to you LOL thumbup.gif

Edited by billywhizz
Social source share

What total BO**OCKS !!

Fingers

Move On sounds the place to go, I'll be putting it on my list of places to visit :thumbup:

Social source share

Mate have been to them all! Lifeline/ Middleton/ Burnley/Bidds and IF you read my posts properly you will see that i have not slagged any of them off, far from it, like you say each to their own, so why is it i cant have my personal taste without people sayin i am living in the past, if its what i like then thats it really is it not.

So you sayin your correcting my infactual comments is as you put it "utter Bollocks" YOUR OPINION is unless you are the oricle or something your view,it dont make it fact. It just makes it your view.

And why oh why do the oldies played at YOUR events have to be of the rarer variety? what makes a £10 tune more acceptable to be played than a £500 pound tune? i have no idea. And besides most of your expensive oldies in todays market are not even rare, i know i have had them and sold them.

Not rare!! Many many copys about : cecil washington / Tomangoes/ servicemen/ paris/

Dog Rare is the likes of jimmy burns / william powell / eddie parker/ nabay

top of my head there must be £20K in that little lot just there, yet they all been bootlegged or repressed, and just a side issue i have owned all but three over the years (originals)

Not being funny but here you go again.

With one breath you say why do all the records have to be rare or expensive and here you are bragging that you have had them all.

Make your mind up :thumbup:

Social source share

You cant believe someone could write a lookback f--k it & up get everyone at it ,:thumbup: when everyones at an age to know better , ask mr dakin to take it back & it will be like nothing ever happenedinnocent.gif:thumbup:wicked.gifshades.gif

Ok i admit it, My look back first post was meant to be just that, then i went bed and tried to remember the last time i had such a fab night, and you know what, it really was way back when, when WE ALL remember packed nighters, people actually running to the dance floor!! NOT having the room to dance!! being utterly wankered and staying till the end!!

It just struck a cord that all this happened because of the music in the main hall being played was top draw oldies!!.......all night, with no 3am till 4am slow down with semi known rare as rockin horse shit rammell!!

I wont go back on what i have said as i believe its true, I DO LIKE AND DANCE AND EVEN BUY the newer stuff but Sat. night just gave everyone who attended a "remember this was was it was like EVERY nighter, every weekend" kind of feeling..........and i aint ashamed of saying i wish there was more nighters like this in todays scene.

Oh well........dream on eh!!:sleep3:

Next topic is politics Labour/Conservative/ Liberal (old enough to remember them)

The can of worms will surly spill out now eh!!:boxing:

Tory all the way me.:thumbup:

MODS: permission to use this thread to start this new topic......Please.whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest mickeyb

Ok i admit it, My look back first post was meant to be just that, then i went bed and tried to remember the last time i had such a fab night, and you know what, it really was way back when, when WE ALL remember packed nighters, people actually running to the dance floor!! NOT having the room to dance!! being utterly wankered and staying till the end!!

It just struck a cord that all this happened because of the music in the main hall being played was top draw oldies!!.......all night, with no 3am till 4am slow down with semi known rare as rockin horse shit rammell!!

I wont go back on what i have said as i believe its true, I DO LIKE AND DANCE AND EVEN BUY the newer stuff but Sat. night just gave everyone who attended a "remember this was was it was like EVERY nighter, every weekend" kind of feeling..........and i aint ashamed of saying i wish there was more nighters like this in todays scene.

Oh well........dream on eh!!sleep3.gif

Next topic is politics Labour/Conservative/ Liberal (old enough to remember them)

The can of worms will surly spill out now eh!!boxing.gif

Tory all the way me.thumbup.gif

MODS: permission to use this thread to start this new topic......Please.whistling.gif

I'm not surprised - maintain the old status quo in every way, eh?thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Not being funny but here you go again.

With one breath you say why do all the records have to be rare or expensive and here you are bragging that you have had them all.

Make your mind up laugh.gif

everytime you reply you fook up what you read and make your own mind up, i dont slag people off or abuse them in anyway but please get a brain cell.

My whole point in me sayin what you have picked me up on is to get the point across that the records that are NOT rare command huge money in todays scene and are played regually, yet i payed no more than £50 for any of them, so the points others have made about rare and expensive dont wash, they was once cheapish and obtainable.:thumbup:

Social source share

everytime you reply you fook up what you read and make your own mind up, i dont slag people off or abuse them in anyway but please get a brain cell.

My whole point in me sayin what you have picked me up on is to get the point across that the records that are NOT rare command huge money in todays scene and are played regually, yet i payed no more than £50 for any of them, so the points others have made about rare and expensive dont wash, they was once cheapish and obtainable.:thumbup:

I have not slagged you off once and yet here you are slagging me off?

Nice.

Social source share

I've tried to keep away from this but it's the second time you have said that you don't insult people personally. I beg to differ. You didn't bother to find out his name but still slagged off one of our DJs...

Quote from you:

why stick on a dj at 2am who's taste in music and general play list is as best could be described as being interesting and at worse utter rammell and the sort of stuff reserved for the "other room

PS - Mike, I enjoyed the "off topic" stuff more...wink.gif

Social source share

just deleted 30 odd crap off topic posts

all enjoy a laugh sure but 30 odd is just taking the p^ss

And not one of them mine this week ! innocent.gif

And come on people.............. any serious soul music fan will love all sorts.... great oldies............underplayed........... forgotton.....new discoveries - EVERYTHING !!! lol

It would all be predictable and boring otherwise !!!!!!! IMO

One eye on the classics you know and love and another eye on new stuff that you just cant wait to find out about !!!

I would get bored collecting otherwise !

M

Social source share

I've tried to keep away from this but it's the second time you have said that you don't insult people personally. I beg to differ. You didn't bother to find out his name but still slagged off one of our DJs...

Quote from you:

why stick on a dj at 2am who's taste in music and general play list is as best could be described as being interesting and at worse utter rammell and the sort of stuff reserved for the "other room

PS - Mike, I enjoyed the "off topic" stuff more...wink.gif

See you also forgot to mention that i apologie to him in the thread and i never mentioned him by name i only gave a time that i thought i heard the stuff being played and then i was wrong.....so whats the crack with that then eh?

Social source share

See you also forgot to mention that i apologie to him in the thread and i never mentioned him by name i only gave a time that i thought i heard the stuff being played and then i was wrong.....so whats the crack with that then eh?

That Rugby wasn't Stoke?

Social source share

You did apologise when the playlist spoke for itself.

So now you are saying it was a different DJ, please let me know who it was and I'll post their playlist...

I assumed when you apologised that you realised you were wrong in your honest opinion...rolleyes.gif

Off to bed now, will catch up tomorrow.

Agree with your post Mossy, I love a bit of everything and will never tire of hearing something new...just like when I was 15...loved that feeling then and still love it nowthumbsup.gif

Edited by Rugby Soul Club
Social source share

And not one of them mine this week ! innocent.gif

And come on people.............. any serious soul music fan will love all sorts.... great oldies............underplayed........... forgotton.....new discoveries - EVERYTHING !!! lol

It would all be predictable and boring otherwise !!!!!!! IMO

One eye on the classics you know and love and another eye on new stuff that you just cant wait to find out about !!!

I would get bored collecting otherwise !

M

Spot on Mossy !

Edited by ken
Social source share

The thing that strikes me about this thread is that it's a typical roberts thread. Post something controversial people debate/argue over & over & all the time the instigator throws another little morsel into the mix & so it goes on & on & all that happens is that the money making machine in Stoke gets more publicity. End of the day just leave 'em to itsleep3.gifsleep3.gifsleep3.gifsleep3.gifsleep3.gif

Social source share

Guest REVILOT

Cheers............Pete

ECHO......

Social source share

Guest kevnewry

You did apologise when the playlist spoke for itself.

So now you are saying it was a different DJ, please let me know who it was and I'll post their playlist...

I assumed when you apologised that you realised you were wrong in your honest opinion...rolleyes.gif

Off to bed now, will catch up tomorrow.

Agree with your post Mossy, I love a bit of everything and will never tire of hearing something new...just like when I was 15...loved that feeling then and still love it nowthumbsup.gif

Dont usually get involved in the politics, theres enough of that shite herelaugh.gif, but for the life of me i cant fathom the thinking behind what Dazdakin is trying to say......... Stoke for obvious reasons is loved by an awful lot of people and a venue i intend to visit soon.

Nevertheless I go to SOUL do's to listen to yes the tunes i know and love but also stuff that i've never heard before,and surely that's the esscence of what this scene is and has always been about??

The aforementioned person slagged off a DJ at Rugby without being in full possession of the facts,and lo and behold when the playlist was posted he did a "u turn"....... my point is. You pay your money and take your choice,we all know that most promoters know their punters and cater for them and we also know that the nighter or event in question usually does what it says on the tin,so why throw our hands up when we go somewhere else and it's not what "we want".......... Rugby for me is second to none, because there is something for everybody and with no apology these days thats the way a niter should be........ It's moved on!!..................... Rant over........... Kevthumbsup.gif

Social source share

Spot on Mossy !

I am only trying to be sensible on here these days cause they have made Steve Cato a moderator, and he is my mate.

But...................

It would be nice to be able to get out on the scene more often again and see why every body is so hung up about soul music these days !

Soul music and collecting is something I personally love - I just feel quite sad when I see people chopping up Soul music into different camps.

I just like Soul tunes man !

New things I always listen to with a open ear..............big oldies...I have fooking loads of favourites.

If soul music could talk...........it would have a few things to say about our twisted scene ! IMO

M

Social source share

Good to see passion Daz but some of your comments need expanding on... maybe an example of this " new shite" you talk about....... without telling us what this is and where you are hearing it....

End of the day, places like Stoke are packing them in on a diet of classic northern tunes in the main room, some other venues are catering for a different crowd and different tastes..

Let all do what you wanna do... you aint ever gonna have all folk in agreement on anything....

The oldies v something else debate again :sleep3:

plenty of choice out there for all tatses, just do what you wanna do,,,,

Sometimes we can all fall into a trap when we get into a rant while full of passion... We can start saying that what we think is the way it should be, that kind of outburst will have some waiting to knock you down for sure.....

I think your note to all promters " take note, this is how it should be" was always gonna get some up in arms :lol:

One life only... try and enjoy it the best we can....

Think its time for a few of us to get some kip... :hatsoff2:

Edited by little-stevie
Social source share