Little Richard - I Don't Know What You Got (But It's Got Me)

A fantastic bit of deep soul from 65 - I wish he'd kept to soul, but I'd like to know when and where the combined release of pts1&2 originally came out?

I see that on the Mr Big LP on UK Joy, that it states pt1 and pt2 as consecutive tracks, but are they infact just one track or are they still split or is the first appearance of the combined track on a CD?

Cheers,

John

Social source share

• Replies 7
  • Views 935
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Darks

A fantastic bit of deep soul from 65 - I wish he'd kept to soul, but I'd like to know when and where the combined release of pts1&2 originally came out?

I see that on the Mr Big LP on UK Joy, that it states pt1 and pt2 as consecutive tracks, but are they infact just one track or are they still split or is the first appearance of the combined track on a CD?

Cheers,

John

Wish I could help. Aint played this in years, just dug out my old Fontana copy. Still sounds awesome. Would definately benefit from a combined version. Might try it with my cassette recorder!

Are you saying you have heard a combined version?

Regards

Alan

Social source share

As far as I know, the combined version of version 1 (the version with backing vocals) is only available on the Rhino box set. I'm unaware that it was ever released on vinyl, but am curious if it was.... Jimi Hendrix on guitar & the backing vocalist is Don Covay in case people didn't know.

This is the box that came out a few years back:

vjii400.jpg

Social source share

If anyone has go the white demo of this release for sale, please let me know. thumbsup.gif

Which one? there's 2 on Vee Jay, one is "I Don't Know What You've Got" Pt.1 b/w Pt.2. The other is "What You've Got" b/w "Dance A Go Go". Both are VeeJay 698. I might have the first spare (would have to check) but I've never seen the one with the different flip in real life (only a label scan of it).

ri45-2a.jpgri45-2b.jpg

ri45-6a.jpgri45-6b.jpg

also to make matters worse, apparently these both feature different takes of the track. The first one definitely has the backing vocals by Don Covay & the second apparently does not. Also apparently there is prominent organ on the second, while the organ on the first is fairly quiet.

Edited by Kris Holmes
Social source share

• 3 months later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert