War!what's This Band Good For?

l've just bought a CD (Father,please forgive me!) by War and l really don't know what genre it is....ls it Soul,Funk,Rock or Pop....Does it matter?? If you can keep yourself still to 'Me and Baby Brother' then you're dead!! :wave:

Social source share

• Replies 47
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

The Chase track off theYoungblood LP is one of the best Latin jazz funk instrumentals you'll ever hear (imo) and it's never further than a couple of feet away from my deck at home. Absolutely awesome drumming and percussion with a killer nagging Latin piano groove and moody synths. :wave:

Jordi

Social source share

:wave: Gonna have a listen to 'Low Rider' just now......bout cars initt??

Yes, it's about the cars with hydraulics that are popular with the Latinos in Los Angeles.

The band is probably best described as Latin Jazz Funk and 'Me and baby Brother' used to be a huge sound on the funk scene back in the early 70s. Eric Burden (of the Animals fame) recorded with them not long after.

Try this for some 'Lowriding':

Social source share

Yes, it's about the cars with hydraulics that are popular with the Latinos in Los Angeles.

The band is probably best described as Latin Jazz Funk and 'Me and baby Brother' used to be a huge sound on the funk scene back in the early 70s. Eric Burden (of the Animals fame) recorded with them not long after.

WAS INTO WAR NOT LONG BEFORE I GOT INTO NORTHERN.

ME AND BABY BROTHER..........ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!!! STILL IS!!!

YOU CAN CALL IT WHAT YOU LIKE!!

DUNNO IF IT'S JUST MY AGE OR NOT, BUT IN MY DAY IT WAS JUST PLAIN FUNK!!!! :wave:

Edited by jobbo
Social source share

WAS INTO WAR NOT LONG BEFORE I GOT INTO NORTHERN.

ME AND BABY BROTHER..........ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!!! STILL IS!!!

YOU CAN CALL IT WHAT YOU LIKE!!

DUNNO IF IT'S JUST MY AGE OR NOT, BUT IN MY DAY IT WAS JUST PLAIN FUNK!!!! :wave:

It's my age as well! I used to hear loads of funk in the early 70s when I lived down South and 'Me and Baby Brother' was one of the biggest along with 'Funky Nassau', 'Soul Makossa', James Brown, Fatback Band, Kool and the Gang (before they went pop), etc. - great sounds. A lot of later War tracks are very Latin.

Social source share

Guest wrighty

l've just bought a CD (Father,please forgive me!) by War and l really don't know what genre it is....ls it Soul,Funk,Rock or Pop....Does it matter?? If you can keep yourself still to 'Me and Baby Brother' then you're dead!! thumbsup.gif

"galaxy" was always a personal fave...out of sight, out of sight! :yes:

Social source share

Thought Eric Burdon was involved in the early days- before LowRider Etc.

Anyway-if nothing else

The World is a Ghetto is geniusthumbup.gifthumbup.gif

Tony

Social source share

It's my age as well! I used to hear loads of funk in the early 70s when I lived down South and 'Me and Baby Brother' was one of the biggest along with 'Funky Nassau', 'Soul Makossa', James Brown, Fatback Band, Kool and the Gang (before they went pop), etc. - great sounds. A lot of later War tracks are very Latin.

Yep, James Brown and Fatback Band.............brilliant!!!

Agree with your comment about War though, they ewere slightly off the wall so to speak, a few of their tracks did have a slight Latin edge to them.

My point was though that back in the olden days laugh.gif there wasn't as much differentiation (hope I've spelt that right, lol) as there is these days.......jazz funk, disco funk, latin funk or whatever funk, just plain old funk!!! :shhh:

Social source share

Guest D'Arcy

The Chase track off theYoungblood LP is one of the best Latin jazz funk instrumentals you'll ever hear (imo) and it's never further than a couple of feet away from my deck at home. Absolutely awesome drumming and percussion with a killer nagging Latin piano groove and moody synths. :hatsoff2:

Jordi

Jordi, check out the U2 Medley from the 1983 Lp "Life Is So Strange" Also "River Niger" & "City, Country, City" from the Platinum Jazz LP, think that's from 76 or 77. Great stuff from a great band. Agree with Ian, Galaxy is a stonker of a choon.

Social source share

Guest Dante

Funniest toy I've ever seen was a convertible with a black guy, a latino, a white guy and a redhead in it.

Pressed one botton, and Low Rider began, with the car bouncing around biggrin.gif

Social source share

The genesis of the group War can be traced back to the LA funky/Latin outfit Senor Soul. Via their founder, Chuck Miller, they connect directly to The Romeos of Loma & Double Shot fame.

Also, in his autobiography, the Magnificent Montague (of 'Burn, Baby Burn' fame), states:

"I finally built my studio on Vermont at 84th in the heart of South-Central LA using what I'd learned at the hands of Don Robey in Houston and Jimmy and Vivian Bracken at Vee Jay in Chicago. Bobby Womack... recorded for me. So did a group called the Watts 103rd Street Band and the Romeos. In the early seventies those two bands merged to become War, which later recorded with the British star Eric Burdon."

Edited by rigilbert
Social source share

what a load of crap, and the car!

Social source share

Guest Beeks

Got loads of War records in my attic...used to be fanatical about them years ago...'Me and My Baby Brother' is an absolute dancefloor crasher...I also like 'Spill The Wine' thumbup.gif

Social source share

that's just a hop competition, it's not really lowriding in the street. the funnier videos are when they are hopping between front and back wheels, some get really high, and sometimes flip over.

Social source share

Think l seen them,could have been at Blackpool Mecca in circe 76....Did they do 'Welcome To Our World' which got a lot of plays??

One of the best War tracks without a doubt ......

Malc Burton

Social source share

what a load of crap, and the car!

Not only has this guy got no profile ,he's also got no taste.

check out "shante"by Mass Production,top drawer funk on Atlantic.

plus how long have you got to discuss this topic. from someone who

like the guys in previous posts evolved with the music and didnt just

get into it over the last few yrs.(mini rant!!)."HOPE HE WASNT JOKING"doe!

Social source share

Think l seen them,could have been at Blackpool Mecca in circe 76....Did they do 'Welcome To Our World' which got a lot of plays??

Mass Production..Yes they did and i still play that sometimes at our club...floorpacker!

'I believe in Music' is top drawer too!

Edited by paul-s
Social source share

Guest Beeks

I still play 'Me & Baby Brother' out at Soul Train...great track. If you like them , then check MASS PRODUCTION, another top flight band from same era..yes.gif

Another good shout is the british band Cymande :thumbup:

Social source share

Not only has this guy got no profile ,he's also got no taste.

check out "shante"by Mass Production,top drawer funk on Atlantic.

plus how long have you got to discuss this topic. from someone who

like the guys in previous posts evolved with the music and didnt just

get into it over the last few yrs.(mini rant!!)."HOPE HE WASNT JOKING"doe!

would you say this has got soul? I wouldn`t

Social source share

i think the album was called eric burden declares war???some great tracks on it..can only seen to remember tobacco road tho...thumbsup.gif

Here's a track listing:

Eric Burdon Declares War:

The Vision of Rassan

Tobacco Road

Spill the Wine

Blues for Memphis Slim

You're No Stranger

Edited by Missing Link
Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

i class War as funk and i am sure but could be wrong there might be some popular tunes on the funk scene they did.

Social source share

The Chase track off theYoungblood LP is one of the best Latin jazz funk instrumentals you'll ever hear (imo) and it's never further than a couple of feet away from my deck at home. Absolutely awesome drumming and percussion with a killer nagging Latin piano groove and moody synths. :hatsoff2:

Jordi

No track called "The Chase" on my "Youngblood" LP, Jordi.................whats that about then ?

Cheers Paul

Social source share

No track called "The Chase" on my "Youngblood" LP, Jordi.................whats that about then ?

Cheers Paul

Yeah, sorry Paul I went back and checked after I'd posted. It's "Flying Machine (the Chase)". Forgot to mention the wicked flute and bass in it also. :P

Jordi

Social source share

Yeah, sorry Paul I went back and checked after I'd posted. It's "Flying Machine (the Chase)". Forgot to mention the wicked flute and bass in it also. :thumbup:

Jordi

Aahh, I see now............shoulda looked a bit harder at the listing on the back cover.........its not too clear tho :P

Yep.. great track.. off a nice LP :yes:

Cheers Paul

Edited by soul shrews
Social source share

Heard this Cunnie special first time a couple of years ago, blew me away

https://www.soul-sour.../galaxy%20remix

Thanks for reminding me about that John.

Dropped it at Morecambe weekender last year & might have to dig it out again this year.

(does this mean I can wear the hat without you taking the p155 my friendhatsoff2.giflaugh.gif ).

Kin ell,my friend that was just brilliant!!! :thumbsup

Not stopped playing it for the last hour!! no.gif

Glad you liked it Webby.

Might even start a cover version/remix thread in Refosoul.

Have a listen to the Grooverider b4st4rdised version of Gil Scott Heron's Bottle to wet your appetite.

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/more/soul-library/grooveriders-feat-gil-scott-heron-bottle-remix

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

I've only got 'Lowrider' by War, just had a listen to some of the stuff mentioned here and i think i'll have to delve a little deeper, i like it!

Ste. :yes:

Social source share

• 1 month later...

My favourite track by WAR is an overlooked ballad called 'I'm The One Who Understands'.

It's on the album Music Band 2 (MCA) from 1979 and I think it may have been issued as a 45 in the USA.

Well worth checking out.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

"Summer" by War is one of the great group soul records and the perfect hot weather record.

How could anyone not fall head over heels for a record that starts with the coupling:

'Ridin' Round Town With All Your Windows Down,

8-Track Playin' All Your Favourite Sounds...'

Have to say, though that their Hammersmith Odeon show c. 1972 was one of the most self-indulgent, tedious live experiences of my life. I got so bored with it that I shut my eyes and dozed off as they started playing the intro to "Slippin' Into Darkness". The mate who I went with nudged me when he noticed I was asleep. About 10 minutes had passed and they were still playing the intro...

They made a ton of good records, though, besides those already noted. "They Can't Take Away Our Music" from "Black Man's Burdon" is particularly stupendous (and, incidentally, also features Sharon Scott). "All Day Music" is another killer, from the album of the same name...

Social source share

The music by groups like War, Fatback etc was given the term 'Street Funk'

One of my favourites from them is 'War Is Coming' from the Platinum Jazz LP

Totally agree, superb track.

Great group, that were always bigger in the US than over here. Also love the soulful version of "All day music" on their "Music band live" LP & "Five spot" from the "Music Band Jazz" LP among others.

Social source share

My favourite track by WAR is an overlooked ballad called 'I'm The One Who Understands'.

It's on the album Music Band 2 (MCA) from 1979 and I think it may have been issued as a 45 in the USA.

Well worth checking out.

Hmm, I've got that LP, but not noted the track you mention as any good, I'll go back and give it a listen.

Edited by phillyDaveG
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert