12"s Gonna Make Me Rich? Or Just Fit For The Skip?

Need some help from people who buy/sell/collect 12s.....I've never paid any attention to rarity/values etc but years of buying in bulk means I've got a garage full of 12s and LPs. Now the wife wants them moved and as I don't have space to put them anywhere else it's a sell or skip job.

I've just started going through the boxes and trying to seperate the soul stuff from the pop/dance/techno/crap which actually makes up the majority of whats there. As a very rough estimate I reckon I will end up with (very) approx 200 soul 12s.

The question is, are they worth bothering with or shall I just save myself the time and grief and chuck them??? I have listed below a few of the bits I've found so far, not really a random selection but stuff that to a complete know-nothing like myself looked like it could be of interest....anything gonna make me rich or if this is typical of what I've got should I just hire a skip??

Thanks in advance :shades:

Curtis Hairston - I Want You (All Tonight) - Pretty Pearl usa?

Conspiracy - Let's Get Together - Ren Cen usa

Shades of Silk - I Fly Away - Kris usa

Ohio Players - Everybody Up - Arista uk

Marvin Gaye - A Funky Space Reincarnation - Motown usa?

Thelma Houston - Saturday Night, Sunday Morning - Motown usa?

Finished Touch - The Down Sound - Motown usa?

Dennis Coffey - Gimme That Funk - Atlantic uk

Instant Funk - Got My Mind Made Up (special 12" disco mix) - Salsoul usa

Mira Waters - You Have Inspired Me - Motown usa?

Caroline Crawford - Coming On Strong - Mercury uk

Band AKA II - Joy - Bouvier usa

Al Hudson & Partners - You Can Do It - MCA usa

Frantique - Strut Your Funky Stuff - PIR uk

Koo De Tah - Too Young For Promises - Mercury WDJ uk?

Divine - Native Love '84 - Proto uk

Norma Jean - Sorcerer - Bearsville usa?

Social source share

• Replies 26
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Need some help from people who buy/sell/collect 12s.....I've never paid any attention to rarity/values etc but years of buying in bulk means I've got a garage full of 12s and LPs. Now the wife wants them moved and as I don't have space to put them anywhere else it's a sell or skip job.

I've just started going through the boxes and trying to seperate the soul stuff from the pop/dance/techno/crap which actually makes up the majority of whats there. As a very rough estimate I reckon I will end up with (very) approx 200 soul 12s.

The question is, are they worth bothering with or shall I just save myself the time and grief and chuck them??? I have listed below a few of the bits I've found so far, not really a random selection but stuff that to a complete know-nothing like myself looked like it could be of interest....anything gonna make me rich or if this is typical of what I've got should I just hire a skip??

Thanks in advance thumbsup.gif

Curtis Hairston - I Want You (All Tonight) - Pretty Pearl usa?

Conspiracy - Let's Get Together - Ren Cen usa

Shades of Silk - I Fly Away - Kris usa

Ohio Players - Everybody Up - Arista uk

Marvin Gaye - A Funky Space Reincarnation - Motown usa?

Thelma Houston - Saturday Night, Sunday Morning - Motown usa?

Finished Touch - The Down Sound - Motown usa?

Dennis Coffey - Gimme That Funk - Atlantic uk

Instant Funk - Got My Mind Made Up (special 12" disco mix) - Salsoul usa

Mira Waters - You Have Inspired Me - Motown usa?

Caroline Crawford - Coming On Strong - Mercury uk

Band AKA II - Joy - Bouvier usa

Al Hudson & Partners - You Can Do It - MCA usa

Frantique - Strut Your Funky Stuff - PIR uk

Koo De Tah - Too Young For Promises - Mercury WDJ uk?

Divine - Native Love '84 - Proto uk

Norma Jean - Sorcerer - Bearsville usa?

Worth listing on Discogs I'd say (which is easy - less than 30 seconds per listing and free - you only get charged when you sell something). Out of the ones above you'd probably immediately sell Curtis Hairston, Conspiracy, Shades Of Silk, Thelma Houston, Caroline Crawford and Norma Jean. There's plenty of buyers for this kind of stuff around the world so worth listing for sure......

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Worth listing on Discogs I'd say (which is easy - less than 30 seconds per listing and free - you only get charged when you sell something). Out of the ones above you'd probably immediately sell Curtis Hairston, Conspiracy, Shades Of Silk, Thelma Houston, Caroline Crawford and Norma Jean. There's plenty of buyers for this kind of stuff around the world so worth listing for sure......

Ian D :shades:

Cheers Ian,

Do you want to stick your neck out and give a rough idea of a fair price on those......with 7s if I don't know/not sure of a price then I know where to look etc to get an idea but the 12s I've got no knowledge to start with and no idea if there's any kind of reliable research tools to find prices. Basically when it comes to 12s, I'm thick biggrin.gif

Social source share

Cheers Ian,

Do you want to stick your neck out and give a rough idea of a fair price on those......with 7s if I don't know/not sure of a price then I know where to look etc to get an idea but the 12s I've got no knowledge to start with and no idea if there's any kind of reliable research tools to find prices. Basically when it comes to 12s, I'm thick :shades:

£2 each,tat..............oxfam or simular.

Social source share

£2 each,tat..............oxfam or simular.

Hello Ken :P

£2 tat??? Well I suppose you'd know.....seeing as 95% of your records fall into the same category :shades:whistling.gif:wicked:

Social source share

Hello Ken :P

£2 tat??? Well I suppose you'd know.....seeing as 95% of your records fall into the same category :shades:whistling.gif:wicked:

Cheeky sod laugh.gif at least no-one can say i'm filling much needed landfill with non-biodegradable tat.thumbup.gif

Social source share

I agree with Ian..... enough in what you mention to suggest you do not skip them.

Time etc to list is always a factor for what could be little return.

Lots of the techno / more ravey stuff might be landfill, but you could always bundle them up into mixed 100's and sell at £25 a shot or something.

I bought such lot last year from someone, gave about 85 that were no good to me to a mate to go through and I kept 15 or so which I was ok with for £30 I paid.

Curtis Hairston-I Want You All Tonight... is a great record , remember it being one of Derek Pearson's shades of soul tapes in about 1984 or so.

Go on keep listing them on here thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Where there's tat there's brass lad.......:laugh:

Ian D :D

I knew i wasnt propper Yorkshire (tight) :tongue: Anyway what you offering for Paris,lets see whether its worth finding in my tat collection.:D

Social source share

Cheers Ian,

Do you want to stick your neck out and give a rough idea of a fair price on those......with 7s if I don't know/not sure of a price then I know where to look etc to get an idea but the 12s I've got no knowledge to start with and no idea if there's any kind of reliable research tools to find prices. Basically when it comes to 12s, I'm thick :D

Look no further than Discogs. You can see what others are selling theirs for and adjust your own price accordingly. Also on some of the more popular items there's a sales history so you can see what the top, bottom and median prices have been over the sales history of the item.

Also on Discogs it's a definite advantage selling from the UK for some reason. Say, on Norma Jean "Sorcerer" which is in demand in some circles at the moment, the only copies on Discogs are 6 from the US and one from Italy all priced between $5-$20/20 euros, so if you put it on @ a tenner from the UK you'd probably sell it immediately.

Also what Ken forgets is that what's tat to us is gold for collectors in other countries. I've found a £120 record for 50p and a £70 record for £1 in the last couple of months - both of 'em terrible records by any stretch of the imagination but sheer gold for some people!

The Northern scene was built upon buying 'tat' from the U.S. @ 10 cents apiece after all.........

Social source share

I knew i wasnt propper Yorkshire (tight) :tongue: Anyway what you offering for Paris,lets see whether its worth finding in my tat collection.:D

F*ck Paris Ken. Try finding me copies of the Antilles 12" on UK Creole which I can sell for £100 a pop all day long or Norman Giscombe Jrs "Get Up And Dance" @ £80 a pop, then we'll be talking.......:tongue:

Social source share

Also what Ken forgets is that what's tat to us is gold for collectors in other countries. I've found a £120 record for 50p and a £70 record for £1 in the last couple of months - both of 'em terrible records by any stretch of the imagination but sheer gold for some people!

The Northern scene was built upon buying 'tat' from the U.S. @ 10 cents apiece after all.........

Me too sold one for £20 someone threw out,and £200 for one i thought was a tenner job 7s though ,but 12"ers dont fit in me play box..............your probberly right anyway,i dont bother looking allday at discogs and stuff maybe i should.

quote Ian earlier

F*ck Paris Ken. Try finding me copies of the Antilles 12" on UK Creole which I can sell for £100 a pop all day long or Norman Giscombe Jrs "Get Up And Dance" @ £80 a pop, then we'll be talking.......:tongue:

You build me up with your Paris promotion,then shoot me down :sad:

Social source share

Look no further than Discogs. You can see what others are selling theirs for and adjust your own price accordingly. Also on some of the more popular items there's a sales history so you can see what the top, bottom and median prices have been over the sales history of the item.

Also on Discogs it's a definite advantage selling from the UK for some reason. Say, on Norma Jean "Sorcerer" which is in demand in some circles at the moment, the only copies on Discogs are 6 from the US and one from Italy all priced between $5-$20/20 euros, so if you put it on @ a tenner from the UK you'd probably sell it immediately.

Ian D biggrin.gif

Cheers Ian, off to Discogs I go then!

Social source share

I agree with Ian..... enough in what you mention to suggest you do not skip them.

Time etc to list is always a factor for what could be little return.

Lots of the techno / more ravey stuff might be landfill, but you could always bundle them up into mixed 100's and sell at £25 a shot or something.

I bought such lot last year from someone, gave about 85 that were no good to me to a mate to go through and I kept 15 or so which I was ok with for £30 I paid.

Curtis Hairston-I Want You All Tonight... is a great record , remember it being one of Derek Pearson's shades of soul tapes in about 1984 or so.

Go on keep listing them on here thumbsup.gif

It's time that is the main problem....just know I'll struggle to get them listed anywhere especially as I'll have to research each one for value etc.

As requested few more...

Cool Notes - Your Never Too Young - Abstract Dance uk

Change - You Are My Melody - WEA uk

Lime - Do Your Time On The Planet - TSR usa

Otis Clay - Love Bandit - Pinnacle uk

Rhyze - Just How Sweet Is Your Love - Sam usa

Charades - Gimme The Funk - Brunswick usa

Kinky Foxx - So Different - Sound Of New York uk

Richard darbyshire - This I Swear - Dome uk

Galaxxy - Sexy Style - Pop Art usa

Cheri - Murphy's Law - Venture usa

Crown Heights Affair - I'm Gonna Love You Forever - Mercury uk

Social source share

It's time that is the main problem....just know I'll struggle to get them listed anywhere especially as I'll have to research each one for value etc.

As requested few more...

Cool Notes - Your Never Too Young - Abstract Dance uk

Change - You Are My Melody - WEA uk

Lime - Do Your Time On The Planet - TSR usa

Otis Clay - Love Bandit - Pinnacle uk

Rhyze - Just How Sweet Is Your Love - Sam usa

Charades - Gimme The Funk - Brunswick usa

Kinky Foxx - So Different - Sound Of New York uk

Richard darbyshire - This I Swear - Dome uk

Galaxxy - Sexy Style - Pop Art usa

Cheri - Murphy's Law - Venture usa

Crown Heights Affair - I'm Gonna Love You Forever - Mercury uk

Kinky Foxx is a £25 quider for a start!

Piece of piss to list. You could do a couple of hundred on a Saturday morning easy. Once you get the hang of it you're looking at 1 minute each tops even with valuing 'em! No scans or anything needed 'cos it's all already there. Only 4 fields to fill in so easy peasy........

Social source share

Ian D biggrin.gif

hatsoff2.gif I totally agree with your selection IAN ,but would add WHAT ARE YOU EXPECTING TO GET?...for them you must have some idea, I have over the years like us all been at boot fairs and some ex students are selling of there yesterdays vinyl and like your self what rare on not rare is in my case should i stay or should I go and find absolutely shag all on 45 , mind you I have still got the rare Micheal Jackson 12" which I got it featured in Record Collectorshades.gif has a good History, and yet to see one come up for sale? so its gotta be rare also I have about 40 HIP HOP 12" from when I was a YOUTH & COMMUNITY WORKER ADVENTURE PLAY LEADER, GREAT DAYS IN WOLVERHAMPTON Working with my favourite Kids on the Scotlands Estate, Marie my Wife worked on the 3 Tons Elston Hall are of Wolves on her own, If you Know Smokey He lived across the road from her area, I know I have strayed of the point but this was a very tuff area as was the Scotlands if the did not like you it was a living hell and I reckon no man on this site could work Marie's Kids? any way there are some quite valuable HIP HOP There is a shop in Manchester who deal with all this stuff, At Keele All-Nighter 5 years ago ish I got a Skip Mahoney "Janice" on a UK UNDERWORLD 12" for £25 knocks the spots of the 7" 45, as a few god but many bad MOTOWN12s the dreaded PUMP UP THE MOTOWN and 4Tops "REACH OUT" ZT 41944 THIS IS poo POO PUP STYLEE IT AUNT NELLS, AND TO MAKE TINGS WORSE THEY HAVE PUT THE ORIGANAL VERSION ON THERE, WHAT A GOOD EXAMPLE OF TO KEEP AT WHAT YOU KNOW? AS YOU WILL F**K IT UP?? YES i AM INTERESTED IN THIS TOPIC?ph34r.gif DAVE

Social source share

Guest Dante

hatsoff2.gif I totally agree with your selection IAN ,but would add WHAT ARE YOU EXPECTING TO GET?...for them you must have some idea, I have over the years like us all been at boot fairs and some ex students are selling of there yesterdays vinyl and like your self what rare on not rare is in my case should i stay or should I go and find absolutely shag all on 45 , mind you I have still got the rare Micheal Jackson 12" which I got it featured in Record Collectorshades.gif has a good History, and yet to see one come up for sale? so its gotta be rare also I have about 40 HIP HOP 12" from when I was a YOUTH & COMMUNITY WORKER ADVENTURE PLAY LEADER, GREAT DAYS IN WOLVERHAMPTON Working with my favourite Kids on the Scotlands Estate, Marie my Wife worked on the 3 Tons Elston Hall are of Wolves on her own, If you Know Smokey He lived across the road from her area, I know I have strayed of the point but this was a very tuff area as was the Scotlands if the did not like you it was a living hell and I reckon no man on this site could work Marie's Kids? any way there are some quite valuable HIP HOP There is a shop in Manchester who deal with all this stuff, At Keele All-Nighter 5 years ago ish I got a Skip Mahoney "Janice" on a UK UNDERWORLD 12" for £25 knocks the spots of the 7" 45, as a few god but many bad MOTOWN12s the dreaded PUMP UP THE MOTOWN and 4Tops "REACH OUT" ZT 41944 THIS IS poo POO PUP STYLEE IT AUNT NELLS, AND TO MAKE TINGS WORSE THEY HAVE PUT THE ORIGANAL VERSION ON THERE, WHAT A GOOD EXAMPLE OF TO KEEP AT WHAT YOU KNOW? AS YOU WILL F**K IT UP?? YES i AM INTERESTED IN THIS TOPIC?ph34r.gif DAVE

Hi Dave,

If you feel like getting rid of some of the hip hop 12, give me a shout!

Social source share

OK, fair enough. Is it mint and is a fiver OK? This guy at my office is still gagging for one.......

Ian D thumbup.gif

What a chump !! fiver no.gif stick to re-issuing five pound stuff,and selling other peoples records.

Social source share

What a chump !! fiver no.gif stick to re-issuing five pound stuff,and selling other peoples records.

15 UK copies on Discogs from £1.50 to £11.95....

https://www.discogs.com/sell/list?release_id=582754&ev=rb

2 US copies @ £4.50 & £6.99.....

https://www.discogs.com/sell/list?release_id=1867581&ev=rb

a fiver seemed fair for a mate but you can sit on yours by all means Ken......

and the re-issuing stuff for a fiver is 'cos we're in the middle of a recession and it's a good way of selling several thousand copies of each to a deserving audience!

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

15 UK copies on Discogs from £1.50 to £11.95....

https://www.discogs.c...id=582754&ev=rb

2 US copies @ £4.50 & £6.99.....

https://www.discogs.c...d=1867581&ev=rb

a fiver seemed fair for a mate but you can sit on yours by all means Ken......

and the re-issuing stuff for a fiver is 'cos we're in the middle of a recession and it's a good way of selling several thousand copies of each to a deserving audience!

Ian D biggrin.gif

snapback.pngIan Dewhirst, on 13 Feb 2010 - 02:15 PM, said:

Believe me I could sell 10 of 'em right now Ken. One of the guys in the office is desperate for it on a Bluebird 12".......

Ian D biggrin.gif

get them to look on gemm ian:shades:

dave

• add.png

There you go,pitty Dave pinch had to put you on to discogs.

Be carefull or i'll delete all your master cuts threads.laugh.gif

Edited by ken
Social source share

Piece of piss to list. You could do a couple of hundred on a Saturday morning easy. Once you get the hang of it you're looking at 1 minute each tops even with valuing 'em! No scans or anything needed 'cos it's all already there. Only 4 fields to fill in so easy peasy........

Ian D biggrin.gif

Lucky you last one I sold on Discogs £7..

Social source share

Ian D biggrin.gif

Top stuff Ian, looks like thats my next few evenings filled up :hatsoff2:.

Hopefully Discogs lets you list multiple copies of the same title, going to take forever to sell the 50 odd copies of the Al Mason 12s I just found....'Al & The Kid' label so maybe they're boots cos the 7s I've had were on Fynal Vynal..............

..............I fook*ng wish :thumbsup::D:thumbup:

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Thought the Marvin Gaye "Funky Space......." in your 1st list was demo only???

So that might be worth a couple of bob

Cheers Paul

Better still it's got the full 11 minute album version of "Got To Give It Up" on the flip, which is much better than the 'A' side. Only one on Discogs @ 25 euros and much in demand!

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest Adrian

Better still it's got the full 11 minute album version of "Got To Give It Up" on the flip, which is much better than the 'A' side. Only one on Discogs @ 25 euros and much in demand!

Not sure about that, the American 12 does'nt have Got to Give It Up I don't think, its the UK picture sleeve 12 that does, I got both so would have to check. But no way worth 25 quid, lucky to get a fiver i'd say. I listed a spare on ebay, 1.99 start no takers.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert