Should You Clean Before Selling ?

If you have records, that are store stock or warehouse new, that have never seen the light of day. Should you clean them before selling. Most records like this will have aquired a film of dust over the years.

I tend not to clean them, but send them out as is, for the new owner to clean in his own desired way. The danger with cleaning is that you might slighty discolour the label or even use a slighty firm cloth and leave tiny surface marks on the vinyl. When ever I remember I state that to the client.

So I sent one out like this the other day and the buyer sent it back saying it wasn't mint as stated.

Anyone have a view on this.

Dave

Social source share

• Replies 34
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Place record in a cold pan of water bring to a boil then simmer for fifteen minutes, leave to cool, remove fucked record and place between two pieces of glass put out in sun for a further forty five minutes, remove glass and run over record in a jeep, lastly clean with brillo pad or wire wool stand back and enjoy.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Place record in a cold pan of water bring to a boil then simmer for fifteen minutes, leave to cool, remove fucked record and place between two pieces of glass put out in sun for a further forty five minutes, remove glass and run over record in a jeep, lastly clean with brillo pad or wire wool stand back and enjoy.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Don't forget - only floss the ones you want to keep.

Social source share

If you have records, that are store stock or warehouse new, that have never seen the light of day. Should you clean them before selling. Most records like this will have aquired a film of dust over the years.

I tend not to clean them, but send them out as is, for the new owner to clean in his own desired way. The danger with cleaning is that you might slighty discolour the label or even use a slighty firm cloth and leave tiny surface marks on the vinyl. When ever I remember I state that to the client.

So I sent one out like this the other day and the buyer sent it back saying it wasn't mint as stated.

Dave

TBH Dave,

I like to receive buys clean. BUT, if and only if, I know the dealer uses a sensible method.

Otherwise I'm happy to receive the record and do the job myself.

The customer who returned, probably spun the record and heard some noise from the record due to the accumulated dust of time and didn't bother considering it might need a clean after 40 years!

ATB

Greg. :shades:

Social source share

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

don't forget the p.v.a. glue, thr w.d. 40 (for f**ks sake!) and the t-cut!!!!!

Social source share

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Thank you for your advice, i followed your instructions to the letter, and yes my copy of Frank Wilson does actually sound better.

Social source share

Dave

I don't clean 'em either. Like yourself I'd prefer the buyer to use his/her own methods. The downside is I've sold records which have never been played and only been on the shelves for the last 35 years hence I've classified them as mint only to receive complaints. Likewise when I remember I try and put Mint but dusty!

Personally I think anyone's lucky to get a 30 year + record in mint condition these days......

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Trouble is Dave unless you know for sure the record is virtually unplayed, dust and dirt can cover a multitude of sins which may be undetedtable until cleaning is done. So, I say clean 'em and if you have a large enough turnover get one of those VP(?) cleaning machines.

Social source share

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Mark, if you havn't got a jeep will a van do?

Social source share

Dave

I buy far more records than I ever sell,

I don't expect sellers to clean records before they sell them - A dusty/dirty record can still be considered mint, only permanent marks or damage affects the condition of a record.

All my records get cleaned (carefully) as soon as I get them - It's part of the experience, I enjoy it!shades.gif

Social source share

Dave

i always clean them as all my records are put on ebay with soundclips,im sure most wouldnt sell if they were covered in dust.

Social source share

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

why not set fire to the record aswell, then take it out mid atlantic an sink it just to be surethumbup.gif

Social source share

Would you clean your car or house before trying to sell it?

I think a wipe with a lint free cloth and nothing stronger than distilled water is fine.

I would leave any of the more extreme methods to the purchaser.

I think the need to try these methods is a compulsion for some. Fascinating experiments which are a throwback to childhood days of setting fire to model planes, decapitating your Action Man etc.

Social source share

Trouble is Dave unless you know for sure the record is virtually unplayed, dust and dirt can cover a multitude of sins which may be undetedtable until cleaning is done. So, I say clean 'em and if you have a large enough turnover get one of those VP(?) cleaning machines.

I totally agree, but as I said at the beginning of this thread. My comments are related to stuff I have purchased from old record stores, distributors, jukebox operators etc, where I know that apart from the dusts of time they are as new.

Yes it looks like I need to go down the road of the VP machine. Although there is still a strange thrill for me to find records with that thin film of dust, that says, old, original pressing, new been played. I feel an almost religious feeling coming on.biggrin.gif

Social source share

when I receive records I allways clean with luke warm water and a drop of washing up liquid,rinsed with cold waters and dried with soft clean cloth.

Now,from time to timeI get,like you say "old store stock",never been out the sleeve and covered in a film of dust,absolute delight in blowing and polishing off the dust before they hit the deck....MAGIC!

Social source share

Guest stevemcmahon

Dave, I've got a Moth MKII cleaning machine I made from a kit & it does a great job on removing dust. thumbsup.gif

Must admit, the vacuum part sounds a lot like a Dyson when its on!

Steve.

Social source share

Guest Dante

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

:hatsoff2:

Pissed myself with this one. Firtst laugh of the day, thanks Mark.

Social source share

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

i think some that sell actually do this Mark - but in their defence they only list them as VG+ :hatsoff2:

Social source share

I totally agree, but as I said at the beginning of this thread. My comments are related to stuff I have purchased from old record stores, distributors, jukebox operators etc, where I know that apart from the dusts of time they are as new.

Yes it looks like I need to go down the road of the VP machine. Although there is still a strange thrill for me to find records with that thin film of dust, that says, old, original pressing, new been played. I feel an almost religious feeling coming on.biggrin.gif

the problem is that a lot of new old store stock is NOT mint, and it's only apparent after you clean it. If they're sitting around in boxes, they can get tiny scuffs, etc. or if they are from a place where other people have been through them, taken them out of the sleeve, etc. I don't know if the buyer in this case was complaining about the film or if they had cleaned it, but in my case, i always clean the records.

Social source share

Dave, I've got a Moth MKII cleaning machine I made from a kit & it does a great job on removing dust. thumbsup.gif

Must admit, the vacuum part sounds a lot like a Dyson when its on!

Steve.

i thought andy dyson sounds pretty good over the mike when he Dj's :hatsoff2:

mark

Social source share

Dave

Dave i'm sure you don't need me to say this but here goes.....some people just look for excuses to send a record back ,usually because they bought it impulsively or cannot afford it .

Out of interest i always clean my records before sending em out...not had any complaints about corroding or damaged labels etc.

Think too much paranoia about damage caused by cleaning .......come on theyre bits of fookin plastictongue.gif

Social source share

i always clean used records, for resale, but seldom clean new/old stock records, even with a fresh cleaning cloth you can make them look worse, it can take away the unplayed look, even though they have,nt been played,and give a dull appearance, having said that, most collectors can tell if a record as been played or not, just by quick visual inspection.

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

i would not clean any records proper. maybe a quick cloth round the record. but would play to grade. Would be better to leave it to buyers so they can clean how they want.

You will only get bad feedback if you clean a record and ruin it and sell to the buyer who no longer wants it

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

i would not clean any records proper. maybe a quick cloth round the record. but would play to grade. Would be better to leave it to buyers so they can clean how they want.

You will only get bad feedback if you clean a record and ruin it and sell to the buyer who no longer wants it

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert