Groovesville Usa Wow

I recieved my copy a couple of days ago. I've been dipping in and out of it constantly for the last few days. I intend sitting down and reading it cover to cover starting today. It is so well put together, Keith has taken a nice wholistic view, not just talking about the artists and records, but looking at the early jazz days, clubs, DJ's and even the record shops of the city. It starts with a view of what made the city a music town and the UK's fasination with it. The book goes through the changes that molded the city, including covering the Roits, that had such a prefound affect on Detroit.

The book has been so well researched, with contributions from collecters and other experts from round the world as well as from the music business there. Inside you will find lots of great photo, many of them new to the public. The covers even have on the inside a reproduction of the city map as it would have been in the sixties (before it was carved up buy I 75 and I 696 highways). There is so much information in here (all has been cross check and validated by many sources) that it is hard to take it all in, in one read. Also what amazed me was that he managed to get Tom Creeden (The south London postman) involved, the man with the greatest Detroit collection anywhere. I only have one criticism, and that is that it would have been nice to see a little more about the backroom boys, studio owners, sound engineers etc, who in Detroit were so much part of the story as well. Lastly the book near the end, has listings of artists and labels, that are the most extensive I have ever seen for city.

This maybe a bold statement but if someone else is thinking of writing a book looking at an element of soul music in the future, read this first.

Dave

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

• Replies 25
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Is this actually out yet Dave as I've not heard or seen anything requesting payment!

Good question Paul, I got a copy as i helped with an artical and some photo's.

Looking at the web site, it looks like the book is out in three days time, the CD to go with the book is already out I think. Here's a link to the site

https://www.groovesvi....com/home.shtml

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Forgot to say, order your copy today, it's a must for soul lovers.

Yes Dave is right in saying order your copy today,it really is a brill book.Recently looked at a new publication of a northern based book but it was full of the same old same old,Keiths book is crammed with stuff you aint seen before.Good to see you saturday David,by the way Tom Creeden is a taxi driver.see you soon mate

Social source share

Guest stevemcmahon

Hi Chalky,

Thought I'd better reply as know Stuart is rather busy replying to loads of email enquiries he's received from this thread!

There is only the one edition of the book which is paperback - the CD package has the same book. The code mentioned is for people who had registered for the Early Bird Discount before the 1st of December, but you can buy from the site without this code @the regular retail price now.

All Early Bird orders will be given priority when the books are dispatched.

Hope this helps thumbsup.gif

Steve.

Social source share

Thanks Dave and Gilly for your kind comments. I agree, Keith's research was amazing.

We received a box of the books in advance of the main delivery and these were sent out to contributors and helpers. The bulk have now arrived and those who registered for a discounted copy will by now have received an email. Everybody else can buy it now, but priority will be given to the pre-registered folk.

The book is paperback only, and you can also buy it together with the CD.

It should all be on the website www.groovesvilleusa.com

Cheers

Stuart

Social source share

Guest stevemcmahon

I've just changed the wording over on the Groovesville USA Store to reflect that the book in the CD package is Paperback also.

Anyone experiencing difficulties with purchasing, send me a pm & I'll see if I can help.

NB: You have to create an account in order to purchase or to apply the Early Bird discount coupon. If you do not, you will be informed by way of an alert [in red] above the basket or you will simply not be able to proceed with the Checkout process until you have created an account.

Best,

Steve.

Social source share

Thanks Dave and Gilly for your kind comments. I agree, Keith's research was amazing.

We received a box of the books in advance of the main delivery and these were sent out to contributors and helpers. The bulk have now arrived and those who registered for a discounted copy will by now have received an email. Everybody else can buy it now, but priority will be given to the pre-registered folk.

The book is paperback only, and you can also buy it together with the CD.

It should all be on the website www.groovesvilleusa.com

Cheers

Stuart

Cheers for the info Stuart, will go and order mine now. Must say it looks fantastic.

Social source share

Yes Dave is right in saying order your copy today,it really is a brill book.Recently looked at a new publication of a northern based book but it was full of the same old same old,Keiths book is crammed with stuff you aint seen before.Good to see you saturday David,by the way Tom Creeden is a taxi driver.see you soon mate

So he is, how silly of me.:D

Social source share

Guest Dante

I definitely will be getting a copy.

Saw the link when the banners started to pop up on here, and looked amazing...

Social source share

My copy arrived this morning, and as Dave stated at the outset, great layout.....and well worth waiting foryes.gif

Mine arrived today as well, looks amazing the detail in there. can't wait for a proper look through it at the weekend.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Keith has sent me a copy for people to view at Prestatyn, I'll have the copy on my stall at the weekender, so if you are going to the weekender and want a view prior to buying then come check it out. :thumbup:

It's a great read, and highly recommended.

Mark @

Funkyfeet Records.

Social source share

Guest stevemcmahon

If anyone wishes to leave a comment on the book &/or rate it over @the Store, this would be very much appreciated as may help others to realize just how good a book this is, prior to buying thumbsup.gif

Groovesville USA Online Store

Just click on the reviews tab when viewing the product info page.

Cheers,

Steve.

Edited by deeve
Social source share

Many humble thanks to you guys for these kind words. It has been a very long time coming and I just hope that you enjoy reading it. Although my name is on the front, in all honesty it was written by all of us. Possibly because my under-dog complex (which has been tuned to perfection by the mis-fortunes of Leeds United), one thing I'd like is that anyone from Detroit who was or still is connected with the Soul music scene reads it realises that our love of their work is NOT just a nostalgic oldies trip that is got out on the weekend but a very long standing, deeply respectful appreciation of what they all achieved. To adjust that Sam E Solo title a bit (Detroit is not a game) It's a way of Life).

Social source share

Many humble thanks to you guys for these kind words. It has been a very long time coming and I just hope that you enjoy reading it. Although my name is on the front, in all honesty it was written by all of us. Possibly because my under-dog complex (which has been tuned to perfection by the mis-fortunes of Leeds United), one thing I'd like is that anyone from Detroit who was or still is connected with the Soul music scene reads it realises that our love of their work is NOT just a nostalgic oldies trip that is got out on the weekend but a very long standing, deeply respectful appreciation of what they all achieved. To adjust that Sam E Solo title a bit (Detroit is not a game) It's a way of Life).

Just ordered mines 2 minutes ago, I will be waiting by the door tomorrow morning! :thumbup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert