Wally Coco

Paul-s

WALLY COCO - MESSAGE TO SOCIETY- FLORENTINE

Artist: Wally Coco Label: Florentine

Track: message to society

Been tipping this for nearly 2 years. Great 70s track and been around on Funk scene a good while.

Sam played it at Lifeline on Saturday and announced it as first time out, new to scene etc. Now a mainstream dj of that calibre is playing it im sure people will take note and listen, which is great. But, it has been played on Uk scene by a couple of us for a good while now and also in Norway and other countries.

Look out for Wally :yes:

Social source share

• Replies 23
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Sounded great when you played itat Move On....gutted to hear Sam played it at Lifeline, any slim hope I had of picking one up cheapish has just disappeared :yes:. Oh well, plenty more to find/blow all my money on :thumbup:.

Adam.

PS..not forgotten that record i promised you Paul, will be with you before the weekend yes.gif

Social source share

Maybe i'm being a bit cynical (again) but knowing you ...always chasing new want's ......why do i get the feeling this will be up for sale in the not too distant futurewicked.gif

Ha! Wally is a very rare tune £1000/£1500. Ill not be selling. The sad thing is that when a 'Big name' dj gets hold of a great tune, they usually hammer the life out of it, with no care or sense of preservation. If i heard it played relentlessly week in and week out, Yes i would get sick of it and sell. So SAm, please go steady!thumbsup.gifAnd remember its not a new discovery.

Social source share

Been tipping this for nearly 2 years. Great 70s track and been around on Funk scene a good while.

Sam played it at Lifeline on Saturday and announced it as first time out, new to scene etc. Now a mainstream dj of that calibre is playing it im sure people will take note and listen, which is great. But, it has been played on Uk scene by a couple of us for a good while now and also in Norway and other countries.

Look out for Wallyyes.gif

I've been playing this out at every opportunity, over the last eighteen months or so. As has been said, a stone funk classic already, and indeed I first heard it on the fantastic, Jason Perlmutter/jazzman 'Carolina Funk' CD. I thought it had great potential for the soul scene largely due to it's fantastically danceable, relentless groove, and it has gone down particularly well when I've played it in Europe.

I saw Sam pick his copy up from Andy Dyson at Thorne a couple of weeks back and I told him that both you and I had been playing it out for some time......must have slipped his mindwhistling.gif

Social source share

A superb tune, but surely a stone cold classic already? Was reissued on a very high profile CD (in both the US and UK) a couple of years ago so a well know tune to thousands of people. thumbsup.gif

Thats my point. Sam announced it as if hed just discovered it!

Edited by paul-s
Social source share

Maybe sam should have said first time at lifeline... ? really the lack of new discoveries in a traditional style 60's and 70's is forcing the hands of cutting edge dj's .. let's be realistic here apart from the odd few dj's none are actually coming up with anything half good enough to win purists over let alone the niter dancers , wally coco is in my opinion about as far away from the traditional style that the niter scene will accept - rightly or wrongly,having said that it got a better reaction than many of my first time plays that leave coco standing ! i've had my own copy of this some 15 years and remember playing it at wilton around that time (only did this cos played it a mate at my house and he asked me to play it for him ) infact if i remember you played it at a recent wilton i think and it sounded more fitting during your set than mine due to changing musical trends...it is really a funk record but credit to the northern scene it does maybe take on and embrace funk,modern and r+b and combine.

I wouldn't get in to too much of a tizzy if sam plugs it paul ,but i know where you're coming from.

Social source share

Maybe sam should have said first time at lifeline... ? really the lack of new discoveries in a traditional style 60's and 70's is forcing the hands of cutting edge dj's .. let's be realistic here apart from the odd few dj's none are actually coming up with anything half good enough to win purists over let alone the niter dancers , wally coco is in my opinion about as far away from the traditional style that the niter scene will accept - rightly or wrongly,having said that it got a better reaction than many of my first time plays that leave coco standing ! i've had my own copy of this some 15 years and remember playing it at wilton around that time (only did this cos played it a mate at my house and he asked me to play it for him ) infact if i remember you played it at a recent wilton i think and it sounded more fitting during your set than mine due to changing musical trends...it is really a funk record but credit to the northern scene it does maybe take on and embrace funk,modern and r+b and combine.

I wouldn't get in to too much of a tizzy if sam plugs it paul ,but i know where you're coming from.

I fully understand what your saying Andy. But, before i announce that a tune is being played for first time on scene, i do a lot of research, out of respect for all those who dj and stick with tunes at clubs big and small throughout uk, breaking them to new listeners. I think the Uk scene owes a little bit to the smaller clubs who break tunes (in a smaller way) that eventulally get filtered into the 'big' nighters. If i suddenly got a copy of 'King Moses' and announced i was playing it for the first time in uk, i would have people charging the decks to disagree. The credit for the funk edged sounds that are now creeping into the Northern Scene, needs to go to those djs that have been playing these tunes out and about for years and slowly allowing people to hear and appreciate it. Im not asking for much, just that the 'bigger' guys on the scene, do a bit of research and listening. Not you mate, because i know you know your stuff, but some of the 'Big name' djs might benefit from going out as punters to the smaller clubs that offer a fresh approach and have the freedom to break new tunes without getting 100s of complaints from soulies.

Social source share

Ha! Wally is a very rare tune £1000/£1500. Ill not be selling. The sad thing is that when a 'Big name' dj gets hold of a great tune, they usually hammer the life out of it, with no care or sense of preservation. If i heard it played relentlessly week in and week out, Yes i would get sick of it and sell. So SAm, please go steady!thumbsup.gifAnd remember its not a new discovery.

Sam is a record breaker by trade Paul ,not a discoverer .

The fact it got played at Lifeline is more important ,like Andy say's ,it's a more funky soul sound so the playing of records like this at more 60's nighter orientated venues can only be a good thing ehthumbsup.gif

P.s ..you've sold more expensive records than this over the last couple of yrs :wicked:

Social source share

Sam is a record breaker by trade Paul ,not a discoverer .

The fact it got played at Lifeline is more important ,like Andy say's ,it's a more funky soul sound so the playing of records like this at more 60's nighter orientated venues can only be a good thing ehthumbsup.gif

P.s ..you've sold more expensive records than this over the last couple of yrs :wicked:

Yes, still, he needs to get his facts right and maybe look a bit. 'First Time at Lifeline' yes, (thats down to the breadth of djs you have on over a period of time) but way behind in terms of UK scene in general and the scene in Europe, Japan, US and OZ. An oldie to 'us' in fact.

I always support Lifeline and its ethos, i wouldn't attend if i didn't, just seems a bit slack of SAM not knowing the origin or previous exposure of a tune. Its not, after all, rocket science , to find out...check playlists for example or google it!:yes:

Helena mentioned missing one way back and its rumoured Sams playing Malmo this year. He would look foolish announcing WALLY as a new discovery there, when its more or less an oldie! So its in his interest to know the tunes history, surely?

Edited by paul-s
Social source share

Yes, still, he needs to get his facts right and maybe look a bit. 'First Time at Lifeline' yes, (thats down to the breadth of djs you have on over a period of time) but way behind in terms of UK scene in general and the scene in Europe, Japan, US and OZ. An oldie to 'us' in fact.

I always support Lifeline and its ethos, i wouldn't attend if i didn't, just seems a bit slack of SAM not knowing the origin or previous exposure of a tune. Its not, after all, rocket science , to find out...check playlists for example or google it!yes.gif

Helena mentioned missing one way back and its rumoured Sams playing Malmo this year. He would look foolish announcing WALLY as a new discovery there, when its more or less an oldie! So its in his interest to know the tunes history, surely?

Point taken Paul ....but having met Sam on a few occasions you don't need me to tell you A) he's computer illiterate ,which has it's drawbacks and cool.gif most things are water off a ducks back to himbiggrin.gif

Social source share

Point taken Paul ....but having met Sam on a few occasions you don't need me to tell you A) he's computer illiterate ,which has it's drawbacks and :cool: most things are water off a ducks back to him:D

Guess thats part of his charm really:laugh:

Social source share

It's funny you tipping this Paul knowing your hatred of all that's retro because having heard it for the first time today, this is exactly the sort of record that was being pioneered by Cleethorpes from 1975 to 77, sound wise - fast, funky but northern. I loved most of those records, and I really like this too, but to me it's just a reactivation of that Prince George/Rufus Wood type sound. Which is a good thing I may add.

Social source share

It's funny you tipping this Paul knowing your hatred of all that's retro because having heard it for the first time today, this is exactly the sort of record that was being pioneered by Cleethorpes from 1975 to 77, sound wise - fast, funky but northern. I loved most of those records, and I really like this too, but to me it's just a reactivation of that Prince George/Rufus Wood type sound. Which is a good thing I may add.

Pete, i used to go to Cleethorpes and like it. A lot of good stuff played there...not much of which you heae out today. (apart from the same handful). Wally wasn't played there but would have gone at treat. I dont hate retro, i hate the same sounds being hammered and the hearing the same 200 tunes year in year out. Thats why Wally Coco is great! The funk sound was actually pioneered in USA during the late 60's early 70's... Cleethorpes totally embraced that.

You liking Wally is proof that there ARE great new sounds being discovered from the 70's, as you previousl said there were none. Glad you like it

Edited by paul-s
Social source share

Its all opinion of course and maybe it sounds better out but I didnt get knocked out by it...........maybe a few more plays.

I have noticed tangents coming off the Northern scene and thats all to the good, keeps it moving ......Lifeline as a venue can do that..........and does.......... :yes:

It must be incredibly hard to keep up with who broke what where........I wouldnt have a chance on that so hats of to those of you who manage it...........

Social source share

Pete, i used to go to Cleethorpes and like it. A lot of good stuff played there...not much of which you heae out today. (apart from the same handful). Wally wasn't played there but would have gone at treat. I dont hate retro, i hate the same sounds being hammered and the hearing the same 200 tunes year in year out. Thats why Wally Coco is great! The funk sound was actually pioneered in USA during the late 60's early 70's... Cleethorpes totally embraced that.

You liking Wally is proof that there ARE great new sounds being discovered from the 70's, as you previousl said there were none. Glad you like it

I thought it was great but I've always said I like these sort of records yet get branded as someone who hates all 70's, which is totally untrue. I would buy this!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert