Operator Operator

Guest Alan1121

Guest Alan1121

I wonder if anyone can help,

i heard a track a while ago, im pritty sure it was called operator operator and it was on a red label but i have no idea who it was by. It was a cracking track.

I'd be over the moon if anyone could help me out.

Cheers Alan.

Social source share

• Replies 33
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

i heard a track a while ago, im pritty sure it was called operator operator and it was on a red label but i have no idea who it was by. It was a cracking track.

Cheers Alan.

Theres a record by the Kittens on Chess by that name,,,,got a few plays a few years ago!

The other side is a stormin uptempo track Aint No More Room

may be one

Nige B

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Are you thinking of the Mary Wells track - Operator. It was the B side of Two Lovers - so nice early 60's Motown vibe.

Starts off:

"Operator, operator I'm so glad that you rang my phone etc. etc."

Cracking track either way.

MB

Edited by MBarrett
Social source share

Cheers Alan.

"Operator Operator" - Johnny Baker. From memory a tiny San Francisco indie called Cisco.

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest I KNOW NOTHING

That was what I first thought of too.

Red label was the clue i think.

it is CISCO 1000 . by JOHNNY BAKER. red label.

i got it and also the mary wells operator on motown M 1035. wdj. BOTH AWESOME TUNES.

tony

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

"Operator Operator" - Johnny Baker. From memory a tiny San Francisco indie called Cisco.

Ian D biggrin.gif

I got this in one of Soul Bowls packs.

Was it booted at all? Any idea on price?

Social source share

I got this in one of Soul Bowls packs.

Was it booted at all? Any idea on price?

Don't think it was booted, since it was around in quantity as a new release, given limited plays at The Mecca, St. Ives, and dropped pretty quickly. Value-wise 5-10 quid.

Great record though, his other release...Shy Guy is worth grabbing hold of too

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Don't think it was booted, since it was around in quantity as a new release, given limited plays at The Mecca, St. Ives, and dropped pretty quickly. Value-wise 5-10 quid.

Great record though, his other release...Shy Guy is worth grabbing hold of too

I have Shy Guy on a CD someone gave to me. Cant say I like it too much I'm afraid. It sounds to me like the kind of ditty written especially for a movie.

Social source share

Guest ganesh

Ian D biggrin.gif

one of the first records i brought - never realised the significance of the label until recently though - cisco have been a US leader in communications for decades - could this have been a company promo disk??? don't know what the other side was???

Social source share

I have Shy Guy on a CD someone gave to me. Cant say I like it too much I'm afraid. It sounds to me like the kind of ditty written especially for a movie.

"Shy Guy" massive sound in the summer of 74, "Operator Operator" played a year later but was mass imported so it was soon dropped from playlists.

Social source share

one of the first records i brought - never realised the significance of the label until recently though - cisco have been a US leader in communications for decades - could this have been a company promo disk??? don't know what the other side was???

I doubt it's the same Cisco Ganesh. The Cisco I'm thinking of was more like Johnny Baker's own little label I think. I bet virtually all the copies of the record are over here too since you couldn't move for 'em at one time......

Anyone remember 'Disco' Bob Cattaneo from Daly City? He was the main contact for Bay area records and I think all the Johnny Baker's originally came from him.......

Ian D :D

Social source share

I doubt it's the same Cisco Ganesh. The Cisco I'm thinking of was more like Johnny Baker's own little label I think. I bet virtually all the copies of the record are over here too since you couldn't move for 'em at one time......

Anyone remember 'Disco' Bob Cattaneo from Daly City? He was the main contact for Bay area records and I think all the Johnny Baker's originally came from him.......

Ian D :D

How can anyone forget Disco Bob.

Got some great stuff off him back than.thumbsup.gif

Social source share

How can anyone forget Disco Bob.

Got some great stuff off him back than.thumbsup.gif

I called in to see him and had a great day over at his place. On the way back I decided to call in at a club called "Dance Your Ass Off" (mainly 'cos of the Pop-A-Groove record which originally came from Bob in the first place).

Big mistake. Full of blokes so I danced my ass out of there double sharp........laugh.gif

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Not a red label, but does start 'Operator operator' ........and being totally honest I'll gladly take any excuse to post up this cheap but stunning record and a big fave of mine :thumbup:

Gene Faith - My Baby's Missing - Virtue

Social source share

Operator Operator-Gladys Knight on some yellow label with black writing almost cartoonish........early sounding though

Great track, 'Operator' on Fury from 1962. My copy is red and yellow but I reckon Alan is probably on about Johnny Baker's 'Operator Operator' ...which, by the way, is worth buying for the amazing ballad on the flip side.

The other side of 'Shy Guy' is also a great ballad.

I always wondered what became of Johnny Baker.

Social source share

I called in to see him and had a great day over at his place. On the way back I decided to call in at a club called "Dance Your Ass Off" (mainly 'cos of the Pop-A-Groove record which originally came from Bob in the first place).

Big mistake. Full of blokes so I danced my ass out of there double sharp........laugh.gif

Ian D biggrin.gif

ian are you sure it was gay not saying your wrong but i have a gay friend who lived in san fransisco at that time, i asked him about that club first he said it was kind of out of the way from all the other clubs and when i asked him did he go his actual reply was i put my head through the door once but it was straight straight straight! and after all they did picture a woman in their logo, unless it was a drag queen, actually the more you look at it i think it IS a drag queen :shhh:

post-410-12676572762497_thumb.jpg

Edited by ric-tic
Social source share

ian are you sure it was gay not saying your wrong but i have a gay friend who lived in san fransisco at that time, i asked him about that club first he said it was kind of out of the way from all the other clubs and when i asked him did he go his actual reply was i put my head through the door once but it was straight straight straight! and after all they did picture a woman in their logo, unless it was a drag queen, actually the more you look at it i think it IS a drag queen laugh.gif

Believe me it was a gay paradise LOL. I was a young impressionable 'green behind the ears' 21 year old who arrived in L.A. with a Ben Sherman shirt, 22" side pocket chords and a pair of Kickers and within 2 days they had me dressed in full L.A. 'disco' gear in order to 'blend in with the crowd'. So when I hit "Dance Your Ass Off" I may as well have painted a bullseye on my ass! I was lucky to get out in one piece!

Great club though. Shame I didn't stick around long enough to remember much......

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Nice Mecca record.There were some white demos and instrumentals around.Sells for about £20 now -well at least in my box- as the b side is appreciated by the deeper colectors.

I may have a copy at the shop, if one is wanted on vinyl.

Re Dance your ass off.Does anybody still have a "Dance your Ass off at the Ritz buttton badge I produced by back in the seventies?I adapted a large 3/4 inch badge I picked up in the States if I remember rightly.

regards

francis t

mister tee records

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert