Unknown R&b / Northern / Jamaican Acetate

Pete S

Got this off ebay the other night (sound file to follow), it's a one sided acetate and it appears to be called "Same way you came in", it utilises the brass riffs from "Mr Pitiful" and I firmly believe it's a jamaican artist, probably recorded in Britain like Sugar Simone or Owen Gray.

It's not bad actually and would sound pretty good played out.

Have a listen below (sample will be cut 30 secs from end)see if you know who or what it is.

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

• Replies 27
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

ok ............how much? biggrin.gif

Don't know yet - was trying to get any info, see if it's known or if it's a one off...if it is a one off it's hard to price, might be best putting it up for offers. Will wait to see if anyone knows it. Tony Rounce didn't, which is a good start!

Social source share

Don't know yet - was trying to get any info, see if it's known or if it's a one off...if it is a one off it's hard to price, might be best putting it up for offers. Will wait to see if anyone knows it. Tony Rounce didn't, which is a good start!

What is it that makes you think it was recorded in Britain, Pete?thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest brivinyl

Got this off ebay the other night (sound file to follow), it's a one sided acetate and it appears to be called "Same way you came in", it utilises the brass riffs from "Mr Pitiful" and I firmly believe it's a jamaican artist, probably recorded in Britain like Sugar Simone or Owen Gray.

Have a listen below (sample will be cut 30 secs from end)see if you know who or what it is.

Nice tune Pete, is there any info at all on the label ?

Social source share

i've got this on a JA 45 - it's Joe White - "You Got To Go" on Gay Feet. i put it on a swap CD back in 2006 for the modculture board so some people on here will have heard it... thought i'd put it on Refosoul, but can't see it

and the labels are reversed on my copy, but that's the correct title

Edited by michael-j
Social source share

i've got this on a JA 45 - it's Joe White - "You Got To Go" on Gay Feet. i put it on a swap CD back in 2006 for the modculture board so some people on here will have heard it... thought i'd put it on Refosoul, but can't see it

and the labels are reversed on my copy, but that's the correct title

Thanks Michael, good spot.

Now, is it worth anything?

Social source share

found the 45...

in case anyone interested, the full details are:

A-side: GAY FEET - S-50 - Joe White / Baba Brooks and His Recording Band - You Got To Go (FSP 6994)

B-side: GAY FEET - S-51 - Joe White / Baba Brooks and His Recording Band - So Bad (FSP 6995)

Edited by michael-j
Social source share

Got this off eBay the other night (sound file to follow), it's a one sided acetate and it appears to be called "Same way you came in", it utilises the brass riffs from "Mr Pitiful" and I firmly believe it's a Jamaican artist, probably recorded in Britain like Sugar Simone or Owen Gray.

:hatsoff2: IS THIS FOR SALE PETE? MY MAIN MAN IS IN IRELAND FOR A COUPLE OF WEEKS, DID THIS COME OUT ON DOCTOR BIRD? OR HAVE YOU A PALMA BROS ACCITATE? THIS IS SO FAMILIAR, VOCAL SOUNDS LIKE THE CROWNS LEAD SINGER, I WANT THIS IF YOU GET A FEW ACCITATES CUT:boxing: DAVE JUST READ THE ABVE POST:ph34r: DAVE KIL

Edited by dthedrug
Social source share

hatsoff2.gif 1ST RELEASE ON DOCTOR BIRD, i HAVE IT SOME WHERE,ph34r.gif DAVE KIL

Social source share

Don't think it did come out on DB Dave. I may be wrong but don't remember it in the listings.

hatsoff2.gif NOT THE MISTER PITIFUL THE OUTH SIDE? IT'S THE 1ST RELEASE AS YOU KNOW PETE I AM NOT A EXPERT, BUT I CAN ONLY OF HEARED IT FROM JIM SEE PHOTO IN MY GALLARY HE IS MY CLOSEST FRIEND AND BEFORE HE TARTED TO SELL HIS COLLECTION OFF HE PLAYED ME SOME GREAT SOUL RECORDS ON JA LABELS AND UK LABELS. HE WAS THE MAN I GOT GLEN MILLER ON STAG OF A FEW YEARS BACK WHICH COME FROM ANDREW IN NOTTS ALSO WHERE I GOT THE RED & BLACK SUE'S FROM WHICH I GAVE TO MICK, HE HAD 2 GREAT RECORDS ON DOCTOR BIRD BETTER THAN GLEN MILLER, HE USE TO HAVE COMPLETE RUNS ON EVERY THING EVER ISSUED IN THE UK, PHOTO OF ME IN LONDON SHOWS JIM, HE ALSO HAD A BRILLIANT UK SOUL COLLECTION THAT HE SOLD TO JOHN ANDERSON, ANY ONE WHO KNOWS JIM WILL GIVE HIM FULL RESPECT. IT'S THROUGH JIM THAT I GOT TO KNOW DAVE BARKER, THE LATE PAMA DICE, EARL FROM THE HEPTONES & SO ON, HE IS ONLY PERSON THAT I MET WITH A LLOYD ROBISON ORIG OF"I LOVE YOU" ALL THE BLANKS ARE BOOTS? WHEN HE COMES HOME I WILL CHECK HIM OUT, BY THE WAY ANDREW IS WELL WORTH KNOWING, AND JIM IS MENTIONED ON A FEW TROJAN CD'S AND IN THE YOUNG GIFTED & BLACK BOOK

ph34r.gif DAVE

Social source share

the first release on Doctor Bird is Joe White 'Every Night' / Baba Brooks - '1st Session' ??

the tracks on this 45 are 'You Got to Go' / 'So Bad', which don't seem to be on a UK release (although there are a few small gaps in the Doctor Bird discogs i've seen)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert