Lou Johnson

Tony Smith

CDKEND 333

Just spent the past couple of days playing through the latest Kent CD highlighting Lou's career at Big Top and Big Hill, If, like me you dig the big city sound of Mid-Sixties New York then this set is definitely for you. From Lou's reading of Bacharach & David's "Reach Out For Me" through to the previously unreleased extended version of "Unsatisfied", (worth buying the CD for this alone, I remember Tim Ash putting this on tape for me years ago and I'd completely forgotten about it). Via his biggest hits, which were both subsequently covered and outsold by UK artists, (Sandie Shaw & Adam Faith) and containing unreleased gems, including his take of "The Panic Is On", It seems remarkable there hasn't been a retrospective before, which seems criminal considering Lou's talent for interpreting the songs contained here.

A labour of love for Ady you can tell, and as expected the usual high standard CD booklet full of rare scans and information, the sound quality is crystal clear, so full marks to Ady and all at Ace towers for another outstanding set.

Social source share

• Replies 38
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

CDKEND 333

Just spent the past couple of days playing through the latest Kent CD highlighting Lou's career at Big Top and Big Hill, If, like me you dig the big city sound of Mid-Sixties New York then this set is definitely for you. From Lou's reading of Bacharach & David's "Reach Out For Me" through to the previously unreleased extended version of "Unsatisfied", (worth buying the CD for this alone, I remember Tim Ash putting this on tape for me years ago and I'd completely forgotten about it). Via his biggest hits, which were both subsequently covered and outsold by UK artists, (Sandie Shaw & Adam Faith) and containing unreleased gems, including his take of "The Panic Is On", It seems remarkable there hasn't been a retrospective before, which seems criminal considering Lou's talent for interpreting the songs contained here.

A labour of love for Ady you can tell, and as expected the usual high standard CD booklet full of rare scans and information, the sound quality is crystal clear, so full marks to Ady and all at Ace towers for another outstanding set.

Yep, a must-have purchase. He's right up there with the best of all time for me. He must be the most-covered of original Soul artists - such a shame that he never managed to get a decent hit with his own stuff considering the quality of the material.

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

I am looking forward to this CD as I'm a fan of the Big City Sound and Lou is one of its best proponents. The CD isn't anywhere on the Ace Records site, so I googled it and it is scheduled for issue towards the end of March. I wonder if Kent will release The Panic Is On on a 45?

Social source share

Actually Geoff it's an end of February release and should be in the shops any day. At least one punter's had his from Amazon already.

As I mentioned on another thread, Lou get's a particularly good royalty rate on this CD due to an anomaly in the licensing, so every purchase will directly help an artist who hasn't had the best of health recently.

Social source share

Guest mickeyb

extended version of "Unsatisfied", (worth buying the CD for this alone, I

Heard this on Jerry Hipkiss' Breakfast Show on GFM last week. Like you say worth the purchase for that alone.

Social source share

CDKEND 333

Tony

Yes indeed the man was a singer of some calibre.

Unsatisfied was amongst the first batch of Northern Soul tunes I got to recognise back in the mid 70's and look forward to hearing the out-take.

I absolutely love 'If I Ever Get To Love You' which I'm sure is on the CD.

Going to Stafford young man? If so I'll see you there.

Mick

Social source share

Actually Geoff it's an end of February release and should be in the shops any day. At least one punter's had his from Amazon already.

As I mentioned on another thread, Lou get's a particularly good royalty rate on this CD due to an anomaly in the licensing, so every purchase will directly help an artist who hasn't had the best of health recently.

That's another good reason to buy it then Ady. Will check out Amazon.

Social source share

Yep, a must-have purchase. He's right up there with the best of all time for me. He must be the most-covered of original Soul artists - such a shame that he never managed to get a decent hit with his own stuff considering the quality of the material.

Ian D biggrin.gif

Ian, I for one think every Kent CD is a must have purchase.thumbup.gif

Yours Dave.

Edited by davetay
Social source share

You wont regret it, especially "No Other Guy" from his unreleased Big Top L.P., fantastic sound, Randy would've raved about this set.

Blinding Tony, stunning CD no messing, the sound quality is simply superb, Ady you do it to us time and time again mate, this package however will take some beating mate.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

hatsoff2.gif "HAVE THIS ONE ON ME"

post-13241-1267141884699_thumb.jpg

ph34r.gif DAVE(MORE THAN SKIN DEEP)KIL

©dthedrug/"more than SkinDeep"2009

Edited by dthedrug
Social source share

Guest CapitolSC

Interesting sidestep there Dave, i don't think Tony wanted a scrap.

Zoot Money became good friends with Zoot on his visits here.

I just found a great acetate version of Lou's 'Who Is It Now' by Dee Dee Warwick; taken a bit slower than Lou's.

Would love to hear that Ady.

Looking forward to getting my Lou Johnson through the post

cant wait.

While we are on the subject of Kent dont forget the Kent select 45s

All top quality mainly unreleased tunes

The Little Willie John is a blinder both sides.

Al H:thumbup:

Social source share

Guest Brett F

I remember Ady playing Lou Johnson's version of 'The Panic Is On' at the 100 club some years back, never heard it since, i'll get the cd on the strength of that memory.

Social source share

Interesting sidestep there Dave, i don't think Tony wanted a scrap.

Zoot Money became good friends with Zoot on his visits here.

I just found a great acetate version of Lou's 'Who Is It Now' by Dee Dee Warwick; taken a bit slower than Lou's.

hatsoff2.gif SORRY ADEY, WONT DO IT IT AGAIN M8Tboxing.gif IF YOU DONT BELIEVE ME YOU ASK MY BRUVVER!!ph34r.gif DAVE(peace man) KIL

Social source share

ADEY, if youre coherent at this moment in time, i was wondering if you had considered just for anoraks sake, putting the 78rpm version of "the panic is on" on the cd as i remember you telling me about it, and yes, i havent set foot in the 100 club for 8 years now, so youre quite right to think "who the devil is this im talking to?".

will be purchasing your latest offering, but i would like to ask, as your reply will be, so to speak "from the horses mouth", but EXACTLY WHAT IS THE SITUATION WITH RCA AND WILL YOU EVER BE ABLE TO PERSUADE THESE PEOPLE OF THE SIGNIFICANCE AND IMPORTANCE OF WHAT THEY ARE HOLDING BACK FROM US....YOUVE BEEN OUR CHAMPION FOR A LONG TIME NOW MATE,.....STAND AND DELIVER NANCY WILCOX....WITH BOTH BARRELS!!!

rob.h

Social source share

This is very heart warming, especially as he didn't get any royalties for that Belgian 'Marginal' CD Bootleg compilation!

Social source share

got my copy through, was only £8.50ish from amazon, absolute bargain for a cracking cd. Haven't managed to read the (as usual) extensive booklet yet but will do soon.

Any chance of all these booklets in one book Ady? Some great info in them.

Keep up the excellent work :wave:

Social source share

got my copy through, was only £8.50ish from amazon, absolute bargain for a cracking cd. Haven't managed to read the (as usual) extensive booklet yet but will do soon.

Keep up the excellent work thumbup.gif

Interesting how many UK sheets use a combination of the original and cover artist. There are some pretty unusual ones out there, I have Frankie and Johnnie, Ray Pollard and Chuck Jackson (Changes of Love) all really interesting with pictures.

Social source share

Keep up the excellent work :thumbsup:

Nice thought Chalky but without the CDs they describe it would be a bit frustrating. It could make a good 200 CD box set though!

Social source share

Nice thought Chalky but without the CDs they describe it would be a bit frustrating. It could make a good 200 CD box set though!

Not sure I agree Ady, but I sort of see where you are coming from as to whether it would appeal to a wide enough audience, like Chalkster I would be at the front of the cue.

Waiting on this CD landing on my doorstep, looking forward to it immensely along with the new Jimmy Hughes one, top choices gentleman (how did you get Mr Hall to agree to anything?)

Kudos to Mr Smith for mentioning this, I am amazed at how few people review Kent magic product on here, despite happily boasting about getting it for free!! A gentlemanly round of applause for Mr Smith and pint on me next time I see you!

Social source share

Not sure I agree Ady, but I sort of see where you are coming from as to whether it would appeal to a wide enough audience, like Chalkster I would be at the front of the cue.

Waiting on this CD landing on my doorstep, looking forward to it immensely along with the new Jimmy Hughes one, top choices gentleman (how did you get Mr Hall to agree to anything?)

Kudos to Mr Smith for mentioning this, I am amazed at how few people review Kent magic product on here, despite happily boasting about getting it for free!! A gentlemanly round of applause for Mr Smith and pint on me next time I see you!

That's a good point about Rick Hall, five to ten years ago it all seemed like an impossibility (as did Big Top) but time changes things, as the Metros told us, and here we are with 'em both out. Never say never and stay in it for the long haul and you'll hopefully get there eventually (how many cliches?). It helped having Tony and Alec talking country to him, a language he understands.

Social source share

That's a good point about Rick Hall, five to ten years ago it all seemed like an impossibility (as did Big Top) but time changes things, as the Metros told us, and here we are with 'em both out. Never say never and stay in it for the long haul and you'll hopefully get there eventually (how many cliches?). It helped having Tony and Alec talking country to him, a language he understands.

I also thought they were now doing their own releases too?

Whatever top top choice, any chance of some Fame deep CD's or am I being too greedy now?

Although you have now given me an uncomfortable vision of Tony in stetson slapping his thighs ) shouting yeeha when he got the rights! (sorry Mr Rounce

Edited by jocko
Social source share

gallery_2216_113_102944.jpg

Grew up with this record as my folks came by it in the days when folk took 45's to parties - and came home with other peoples. :D

42 years later, safely in my collection. Awesome vocalist Lou Johnson. :thumbsup:

Edited by Simsy
Social source share

dunno about that Ady, the cd usually goes straight on the ipod so I can get me soul fix whilst working. Spending time away from home it would be a good read too. Maybe you can do a digital download of the booklets so can read on an ereader or the forthcoming Ipad? :thumbsup:

Social source share

CDKEND 333

post-1475-12679067144438_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert