Ok To Dj With - Confusing Description

Pete S

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Bugs me a bit so I very rarely use it, a record has background noise or clicks but it "ok to dj with". So when you dj with it, do the ba ckground noises and click suddenly disappear as if by magic or something?

if it has that in description Pete, I won't touch em :no:

i've bought too many described as 'ok to dj with' and after one spin at home wouldn't put it on the decks again fear of knackering the stylus, let alone trying to play them out

Social source share

So when you dj with it, do the ba ckground noises and click suddenly disappear as if by magic or something?

Actually, that's right in a sort of way. Minor clicks and to a degree background noises 'disappear' when played out loud. Has something to do with the speakers set up in the clubs.

If a record is "goosed" playing it loudly in a club only amplifies that fact !

Basically, you're wrong. Unless the record features really heavy scratches or jumps, then you're right.

Hi Pete,

Or maybe it's a term used to describe a record that may not meet the strict criteria of a collector but is acceptable to guys who are DJ'ing and may not want a minter to play out, certain records just seem impossible to turn up in real nice order anyway, I've often seen guys asking for copies good enough to play out only! Just a thought sir.

Best,

Paul

That just about sums it up.

Maybe worth adding that I'd never use a minter to dj with, it can only ruin or wear out the vinyl and after your set you end up with a (ex-) minter. When I was dj'ing regularly I bought loads of records with either worn/waterdamaged label and/or in VG-/VG condition only. They're much much cheaper and absolutely fine to play out loud.

Social source share

So when you dj with it, do the ba ckground noises and click suddenly disappear as if by magic or something?

No, the records still sound like crap but high frequency hearing (treble) is one the first things that goes out the window when drinking alcohol.

Most hiss, clicks and pops are in the upper/treble region of the frequency scale (5-20 kHz) hence they don't annoy you as much after drinking a couple of beers.

I guess that's where "ok to dj with" comes from... :thumbup:

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Most sound systems in Northern events are piss poor to begin with, so you never notice VG records played over 'em anyway!

Once heard Dave Evison play something really crackly & hissy and then announce it was recorded in a downtown Detroit chip shop..... :thumbup:

Social source share

Most sound systems in Northern events are piss poor to begin with, so you never notice VG records played over 'em anyway!

Once heard Dave Evison play something really crackly & hissy and then announce it was recorded in a downtown Detroit chip shop..... :laugh:

heard bernie williams and billy woods played out a few weeks back, both originals but both sounded like they were being fried in a downtown chippie

Social source share

[quote name='Benji'

Basically, you're wrong. Unless the record features really heavy scratches or jumps, then you're right.

I'm quite often wrong about being right but seldom right about being wrong ..................glad we've cleared that up then. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

To me, OK to DJ with means it plays OK and sounds great when played out, the odd pop and crackle doesn't really matter over a loud system.

But if you are the sort of collector that wants perfect labels and no marks on the vinyl an "OK to DJ with" grade immediately rules out the purchase - no need to ask "how VG++ is it?"

Looking at it another way; I wouldn't want to DJ with absolutely mint records as regular play on other peoples' decks would just knacker them anyway.

Anyone else been faced with a 10p piece taped to the head shell? Had me umming and aahing with my Jock Mitchell I can tell you! :D

Anyway, at least you know "OK to DJ with" records are originals. laugh.gif

Social source share

Not always true sometimes its the actual recorded quality of the vinyl that was sadly lacking on small label productions in the 60s early 70s period. - just compare some sound qualities to the better known labels for examples....

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert