The Dip On Ebay

• Replies 39
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Looks like a reissue from around the same time as they reissued kenard what did you gain by that b/w entertainers iv - my garden of eden (early/mid 70s?).

i recall original stampers were used for kenard/entertainers iv, i.e. reissue has same delta no. as the original. same here?

Social source share

Looks like a reissue from around the same time as they reissued kenard what did you gain by that b/w entertainers iv - my garden of eden (early/mid 70s?).

i recall original stampers were used for kenard/entertainers iv, i.e. reissue has same delta no. as the original. same here?

according to the listing Kenard is the same year half a dozen releases later, Dore 848. According to the listing (HERE) nothing released after 1970.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Kenard was late 80s or early 90s as far as I remember.

Social source share

FLYNNY where are you? he used to champion this rare B side..good record.

I'm here...well remembered as I reviewed it back in '99 for Shades of Soul: >>> Disc Reviews <<< :yes:

Yes, the flipside is tops...but...the version on this number release is the later recording with added brass, percussion etc as featured on the reissue LP...not as good as the orginal #724 purple label copies...imo.

hatsoff2.gif

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

It's a ridiculously dated sound to be released in 1970. odd.

Lew Bedell was probably trying to con a few people into thinking it was the follow up to "Seems Like I Gotta Do Wrong", which was their breakout hit that year...

Social source share

I noticed this on ebay the other day because it had a different flip side.The original flip side of the Dip is called the Weirdo. I did some research into the dore label not so long ago as I came across an album by the Whispers on Dore. I discovered that quite a few of their records were reissued in the 70's and perhaps later. You can usually tell by the colour of the label and the vinyl. Some Dore reissue records are in purple vinyl.

Social source share

I'm here...well remembered as I reviewed it back in '99 for Shades of Soul: >>> Disc Reviews <<< :thumbup:

Yes, the flipside is tops...but...the version on this number release is the later recording with added brass, percussion etc as featured on the reissue LP...not as good as the orginal #724 purple label copies...imo.

:hatsoff2:

Here is one of those reissue LPs from the early 80s, rarely seen:

https://cgi.ebay.com....e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

There may possibly be three different LPs comprising their Dore material ...

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

It's a ridiculously dated sound to be released in 1970. odd.

If it's a 1970 press, would guess it was aimed at sales in east L.A. Ady. Don't forget that area had taken this sound as 'their' sound at that time. Look at the output from Memory Pain, Good Old Gold, Groovey Disc, Lost Nite, etc. Re-issuing (booting) sounds from the 50's/60's for the Latino population in E.L.A. It also fitted in with the Low Rider scene.

You can sometimes pick up these records, mint old stock, in record shops in that area as it's still popular there today. I will never forget the first time I stayed at a mates place down Whittier Blvd a few years back, we sat in his back yard late on a Friday night & the air was filled with the sounds of group ballads from the likes of Thee Midniters, then the occasional 'crack, crack', followed by me saying "oh, someones got some fireworks!" But Sunday night was dead quiet, they're a religious lot ! biggrin.gif

Social source share

"I will never forget the first time I stayed at a mates place down Whittier Blvd a few years back, we sat in his back yard late on a Friday night & the air was filled with the sounds of group ballads from the likes of Thee Midniters, then the occasional 'crack, crack', followed by me saying "oh, someones got some fireworks!"

Fantastic!thumbsup.gif

Social source share

I'm here...well remembered as I reviewed it back in '99 for Shades of Soul: >>> Disc Reviews <<< :lol:

:lol:

Ive got the Dore Lp "Shhhhhhh" from 1979 - all the 60s stuff with the added production.

The version of "it only hurts for a little while" on the lp is not the same version as on the flip of the second issue of the dip.

All the added production was done in the late 70s for the LP.

I believe the re-issue of the Dip was 69 / 70

They also changed the label to the black version early 70s

So that gives us a rough idea.

Edited by mossy
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Mrs M

Go on Dave Rimmer's site, I am well informed by my better half that a great deal of work has been done on the Dore label in it's entirity!!!

Social source share

I Have a Dore album released in 1981 with the following tracks. Collectors Delight Vol 2. DORE LP402. Sleeve notes say the albums have done following requests for out of print material.

The Whispers- I was born when you kissed me, The Dip, As I sit here, Doctor Love

The Entertainers IV (Featuring Kenard)- Temptation Walk, Hey Lady, Garden Of Eden

The Jades- When They Ask About You

The Superbs- Baby Baby All the time, Goddess Of love, My heart isn't in it, Little Orphan Boy, Your Eyes

The Fidels- I'm Giving you notice

The Debonairs- Every Once In a while, Mama don't care

Steve

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Ive got the Dore Lp "Shhhhhhh" from 1979 - all the 60s stuff with the added production.

The version of "it only hurts for a little while" on the lp is not the same version as on the flip of the second issue of the dip.

All the added production was done in the late 70s for the LP.

I believe the re-issue of the Dip was 69 / 70

They also changed the label to the black version early 70s

So that gives us a rough idea.

I have the original 1964 release of it only hurts, I have not heard the 1970 release I always assumed the lp from 1981 which I have also got was the only re working of this, and thought Bedell was just cashing in on the recent (1980) chart success of the whispers. Ps hundred or more releases on Dore' after 1970.

Social source share

Guest Brett F

By the way (think i mentioned this on similar topic years back) the excellent double CD the 'NORTHERN SOUL OF DORE'' (NIGHT OWL MUSIC) incorrectly has the later version of 'It Only Hurts For A Little While' in it's selection whilst stating it as the 1964 Dore' 724 release, i did e-mail the company at the time (2004 ) and put this to them .....they never got back too me...........:rolleyes:

Social source share

Do you Brett or MShoals have any of the non-soul stuff there's a lot of 50s and early 60s we need originals of to compare to the tapes. Is anyone a Dore completist?

I have access to large 50's/early 60's collection which has a fair few early (non-Soul) Dore releases within it.

Let me know which artists/tracks you need help with.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Great info chaps on a label that we own but is a nightmare in getting the right tapes.

Do you Brett or MShoals have any of the non-soul stuff there's a lot of 50s and early 60s we need originals of to compare to the tapes. Is anyone a Dore completist?

Ady

Hi Ady, sorry don't have any non-soul related Dore', but if you need the 725 release i'd be happy to send it down, for any future projects etc. Still want confirmation on the 1970 re-issue , Steve said earlier that this release was not the same as the 1980's lp, so I'm assuming he has that copy.?

Social source share

hi Brett. The one I posted is the soundfile from the one on eBay so definately the 1970 release.

Hi Ady, sorry don't have any non-soul related Dore', but if you need the 725 release i'd be happy to send it down, for any future projects etc. Still want confirmation on the 1970 re-issue , Steve said earlier that this release was not the same as the 1980's lp, so I'm assuming he has that copy.?

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Guest Brett F

hi Brett. The one I posted is the soundfile from the one on eBay so definately the 1970 release.

Well that's interesting, as i stated i have never heard the 1970 re-issue recording, the thing that has always thrown me is that with the 1980 LP 'Shhh', and the version of 'It Only Hurts' although very different in production etc is to my ears just a re working at studio level of the original 724' release (from 1964), and seeing as the aforementioned LP is basically re-workings of other earlier Whispers Dore' material (by the way other than 'It Only hurts' the whole album is lacklustre and a horrible release!) i assumed this was hastily put together and re-worked for the 1980 crowd, purely on the back of 'And The Beat Goes On' and its chart success. Basically i'm still not convinced, as mentioned earlier in this thread Steve (Mossy) categorically said the 1970 version is not the same as the 'Shhh' album release. I have listened to the soundfile, and to my ears that is the same as the copy i have on the LP....... (Do we know the seller on Ebay and are we sure he took the copy from the actual record he was selling?)

Guess i'd like someone with the actual 45' to download it to settle this for once and all.....

ps..I love the original recording, but do think the later cut works well in a crossover room........and i've played them both out

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

Guest Brett F

By the way just checked the original ebay listing.someone bought a re-issue for £225.....ph34r.gif

I have just listened to the ebay soundfile, and i'm not sure that sounds any different to my 1964 version ?, yet the one you posted Chalky sounds exactly like my LP take ?......i'm more confused than ever...and from actually liking the record i am am now sick to the back teeth of listening to it....yes.gif

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

By the way just checked the original ebay listing.someone bought a re-issue for £225.....ph34r.gif

I have just listened to the ebay soundfile, and i'm not sure that sounds any different to my 1964 version ?, yet the one you posted Chalky sounds exactly like my LP take ?......i'm more confused than ever...and from actually liking the record i am am now sick to the back teeth of listening to it....yes.gif

it is a legit re-release by the label though and not some reissue label.

Can someone post in refosoul the definite lp take and the 1970 take to clear this up. I was sure I downloaded the 1970 take from an ebay listing but could be wrong now. It could well be the LP take although I've never taken a soundfile from the lp as I've never had it.

Social source share

Guest Brett F

I can download my LP take i have it on my pc, but no point it's the same as the one you posted as the 1970 release, but if you would like me to clarify i'd post it ?

Did you re listen to the ebay sound file, to my ears sounded the same as the 1964 release.

ps yeah agreed a legitimate re-release (issue), still a re -issue though isn't it and a good 6 years after the original, i certainly would not pay £225 for a Grapevine (legit) copy of Matt Brown on Jar-Val for instance..........what ever way you want to dress it up, it's still a re-issue isn't it.

I just wish perhaps Mossy or Flynny, who i'm supposing have this Dore' release as well as the original and/or LP could put our minds at rest.

Social source share

I can download my LP take i have it on my pc, but no point it's the same as the one you posted as the 1970 release, but if you would like me to clarify i'd post it ?

Did you re listen to the ebay sound file, to my ears sounded the same as the 1964 release.

ps yeah agreed a legitimate re-release (issue), still a re -issue though isn't it and a good 6 years after the original, i certainly would not pay £225 for a Grapevine (legit) copy of Matt Brown on Jar-Val for instance..........what ever way you want to dress it up, it's still a re-issue isn't it.

I just wish perhaps Mossy or Flynny, who i'm supposing have this Dore' release as well as the original and/or LP could put our minds at rest.

Know mate I'll amend the info on the 1970 to state it's the lp take and hope someone can post the 1970 take. I will look for the download or at the listing to see if the soundfile still there.

Yeah I agree its a re-issue but not in the same class as a Grapevine reissue though....

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert