Matt Dykes & Keb Article

Chalky

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Very interesting Chalky. Both writers do little to hide their distaste for 'mods and scooterists', eh? :-)

Macca

Although perhaps that's how the article reads, I know Keb and suspect he and Matt are actually referring to 'weekend' or 'fair-weather' Soulies who just happened upon the scene by accident - basically people who were not on the scene before the late 70's mod revival and who didn't stay the course.

Some mod/scooter revivalists did embrace Rare Soul but in my experience the scooter scene is another animal altogether where the music happens to be secondary. Personally I haven't met many scooterists who know the difference between Detroit and Chicago Soul and remember the article is by Rare Soul DJ's about Rare Soul music and that scene.

Mick

Social source share

Very interesting Chalky. Both writers do little to hide their distaste for 'mods and scooterists', eh? :-)

The article contradicts itself when it describes the fashion on the dancefloor, which is generally Mod.

There is no doubt with the advent of Kent records, and like minded people finding real RnB/ Soul, brought in new blood, who have remained to this day.

Most people i've met on the scene have links with mod or scooterist backgrounds.

You still have people today who are very precious that it's their scene and are negative to new blood.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert