Who Were The Trammps

Suinoz

Been playing some of the Trammps records, mainly on Buddah and came across a nice mid tempo modern dancer titled Trusting Heart on the orange CBS label from 1974. It sounds like Barry White doing some over talking during the song. Anyone know who they were and if in fact B W did perform with them before he passed away?? I was surprised to see them on the cbs label and love this particular track. I'm gonna stick my neck out now and say it would'nt go amiss in today's modern rooms, great dancer. Any info appreciated thanks. Tony. OZ.

Social source share

• Replies 51
  • Views 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Been playing some of the Trammps records, mainly on Buddah and came across a nice mid tempo modern dancer titled Trusting Heart on the orange CBS label from 1974. It sounds like Barry White doing some over talking during the song. Anyone know who they were and if in fact B W did perform with them before he passed away?? I was surprised to see them on the cbs label and love this particular track. I'm gonna stick my neck out now and say it would'nt go amiss in today's modern rooms, great dancer. Any info appreciated thanks. Tony. OZ.

Barry White in the Trammps....not likely..........laugh.gif

The line up changed between the Buddah and Golden Fleece / PIR days.. Jimmy Ellis, Earl D. Young, Barrington McDonald, Harold Wade, Stanley Wade (the Wade brothers were in the Volcanos and Moods), John Hart, Michael Thompson, Dennis Harris, Ron 'Have Mercy' Kersey, Roger Stevens, John, Davis, Fred Joiner, Robert Upchurch.

Social source share

Philadelphia soul quintet the Volcanos formed in 1964, originally teaming lead vocalist Gene Jones, vocalist Steve Kelly, guitarist Stanley Wade, his bassist brother Harold "Doc" Wade, keyboardist John Hart, and drummer Earl Young. According to e-zine Funky 16 Corners, within months of their formation the group signed to the local Arctic label, and as the year drew to a close issued their debut single, "Baby," the lone ballad in the Volcanos canon. (The flipside, "Make Your Move," would appear on no less than three of their nine total singles). In mid-1965 the Volcanos returned with their biggest hit, "Storm Warning" -- a showcase for Jones' soaring falsetto, the single reached Number 33 on the national R&B charts and remains a Northern soul favorite to this day. Future Philly soul legends Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff composed the follow-up, the upbeat stomper "Help Wanted," and the Volcanos closed out the year with the Motown-inspired "(It's Against) The Laws of Love," another classic given new life on the Northern Soul circuit. They did not release their next Arctic effort, "A Lady's Man," until the following summer; the single failed to return the group to the charts, and after one last entry for the label, the Eddie Holman-penned "You're Number 1," Arctic terminated their contract. The Volcanos then landed with the Harthon imprint for two superb 1967 singles: "It's Gotta Be a False Alarm" and "Take Me Back Again." Jones left the group sometime in 1968, rechristening himself Gene Faith and beginning a solo career on the Virtue label. In 1970, he resurrected the Volcanos moniker for one last single, "No Trespassing" -- by that time, the original lineup had long since dissolved, with the brothers, Harold and Stanley Wade going on to found the Trammps, the band best-known for its classic "Disco Inferno." ~ Jason Ankeny, All Music Guide

Social source share

nice track..I like it :thumbsup:

post-11139-12666613803647_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Philadelphia soul quintet the Volcanos formed in 1964, originally teaming lead vocalist Gene Jones, vocalist Steve Kelly, guitarist Stanley Wade, his bassist brother Harold "Doc" Wade, keyboardist John Hart, and drummer Earl Young. According to e-zine Funky 16 Corners, within months of their formation the group signed to the local Arctic label, and as the year drew to a close issued their debut single, "Baby," the lone ballad in the Volcanos canon. (The flipside, "Make Your Move," would appear on no less than three of their nine total singles). In mid-1965 the Volcanos returned with their biggest hit, "Storm Warning" -- a showcase for Jones' soaring falsetto, the single reached Number 33 on the national R&B charts and remains a Northern soul favorite to this day. Future Philly soul legends Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff composed the follow-up, the upbeat stomper "Help Wanted," and the Volcanos closed out the year with the Motown-inspired "(It's Against) The Laws of Love," another classic given new life on the Northern Soul circuit. They did not release their next Arctic effort, "A Lady's Man," until the following summer; the single failed to return the group to the charts, and after one last entry for the label, the Eddie Holman-penned "You're Number 1," Arctic terminated their contract. The Volcanos then landed with the Harthon imprint for two superb 1967 singles: "It's Gotta Be a False Alarm" and "Take Me Back Again." Jones left the group sometime in 1968, rechristening himself Gene Faith and beginning a solo career on the Virtue label. In 1970, he resurrected the Volcanos moniker for one last single, "No Trespassing" -- by that time, the original lineup had long since dissolved, with the brothers, Harold and Stanley Wade going on to found the Trammps, the band best-known for its classic "Disco Inferno." ~ Jason Ankeny, All Music Guide

Thanks for that Paul. ATB Tony.

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

i have some nice tunes i like by them on Atlantic label. have some LP's too. I rate them. but i am sure like most soul bands they have had various line up's

i have this info

disco group from Philly, recorded in 1965 as the Volcanoes (led by Gene Faith who later went solo) also known as the Moods. consisted of Earl Young (Lead bass voice, drums), Jimmy Ellis (lead tenor, Dennis Harris (guitar), Ron Kersey (Keyboards), John Hart (Organ), Stanley Wade (Bass) and Michael Thompson (Drums), own label Golden Fleece in 1973. Later vocal line up Ellis (Lead), brothers Harold and Stanley Wade (Tenors), Robert Upchurch (Baritone) and Young (Bass) That was taken from Billboard top R & B/Hip Hop singles book

Social source share

The tramps were simply awesome their pil lps are supreme -trusting heart had one eye on the explosive disco market -but wow did it turn out right -incredible Record.

TRAMMPS - TRUSTING HEART -

BAZ A

Yep Baz it really is an incredible record and i am glad someone else on the northern soul scene agrees with me. Maybe it has been overlooked because the Trammps were a disco band but who knows, this record COULD be the next HUGE dancefloor sound in the modern rooms back in the U.K. Hopefully someone like Soul Sam will pick it up and run with it. ATB Tony. OZ.

Social source share

Yep Baz it really is an incredible record and i am glad someone else on the northern soul scene agrees with me. Maybe it has been overlooked because the Trammps were a disco band but who knows, this record COULD be the next HUGE dancefloor sound in the modern rooms back in the U.K. Hopefully someone like Soul Sam will pick it up and run with it. ATB Tony. OZ.

Another worthwhile Trammps track , and one that I played from the album at the time of its'

release ......

THE TRAMMPS - I FEEL LIKE I'VE BEEN LIVING ON THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON -

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

The tramps were simply awesome their pil lps are supreme -trusting heart had one eye on the explosive disco market -but wow did it turn out right -incredible Record.

TRAMMPS - TRUSTING HEART -

BAZ A

One track I particularly like from this era is "Where do we go from here?". Probably around 1974 ?

Really great vocals right across the scale and that brilliant Philly sound from that time.

Why was the Philly sound so memorable from that era ?

Was it something to do with Music Studio where it was recorded, the production team, the session musicians - or all of this ?

Cheers................. Tom. Banbury.

Social source share

Jimmy Ellis was ... and still is one of the greatest soul singers ... ever !

Never really given the dues he deserves, and his contribution was always overshadowed by the fact the Trammps were a relatively large self contained band.

Anyone have any info on his career before the Trammps ? The Trammps bios don't have any info on him before joining the group ? Is he the Jimmy Ellis on the Salem 45 ?

Incidentally, I wouldn't call the Trammps a "disco" group, rather, they were a "soul" group who foud favour in the discos and with New York disco DJs of the time ...

Social source share

Jimmy Ellis was ... and still is one of the greatest soul singers ... ever !

Never really given the dues he deserves, and his contribution was always overshadowed by the fact the Trammps were a relatively large self contained band.

Anyone have any info on his career before the Trammps ? The Trammps bios don't have any info on him before joining the group ? Is he the Jimmy Ellis on the Salem 45 ?

Incidentally, I wouldn't call the Trammps a "disco" group, rather, they were a "soul" group who foud favour in the discos and with New York disco DJs of the time ...

No was'nt really insinuating they were a ' disco group ' it's just that they were placed in that mould due to their hit disco inferno. I reckon a lot of their stuff deserves to be played on our scene today. I have some great singles by them..Rubber Band and the instumental of Hold Back the Night to name just 2 of them. Have been playing some of the 'b' side too..brilliant sounds. I just love the lead singers voice. Tony. OZ.

Social source share

No was'nt really insinuating they were a ' disco group ' it's just that they were placed in that mould due to their hit disco inferno. I reckon a lot of their stuff deserves to be played on our scene today. I have some great singles by them..Rubber Band and the instumental of Hold Back the Night to name just 2 of them. Have been playing some of the 'b' side too..brilliant sounds. I just love the lead singers voice. Tony. OZ.

I used to play "Trusting Heart' and "Stop and Think" off their Golden Fleece LP regularly at Sydney soul nighters back in the late 80s. They were extremely popular with the dancers. Happy to play them for you Tony when you get to Sydney for the National Wekender later this year ! thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Tom most of the talent from Chicago and Detroit ended up in Philly in the mid seventies -sigma studios esembled the A LIST of whos who -thats why the sound is so distinctive imho,not to mention the wide acceptance of Philly inmternational-there seemed to hit the nail right on the head with incredible soulful mixes which had mass appeal!!!

BAZ A

One track I particularly like from this era is "Where do we go from here?". Probably around 1974 ?

Really great vocals right across the scale and that brilliant Philly sound from that time.

Why was the Philly sound so memorable from that era ?

Was it something to do with Music Studio where it was recorded, the production team, the session musicians - or all of this ?

Cheers................. Tom. Banbury.

Social source share

Guest jeffthevest

Hi Baz...great record i played this at the coachman last year and it went down well........see you soon jeff

Social source share

Another worthwhile Trammps track , and one that I played from the album at the time of its'

release ......

THE TRAMMPS - I FEEL LIKE I'VE BEEN LIVING ON THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON -

Malc Burton

I used to have the Trammps 111 album many years ago ,and last year Eddy Edmondson was giving a track called I'm Living The Life Of A Single Man-regular plays on his Solar Radio show.

I can remember being sat at the side of the dancefloor at Cleethorpe's Winter Gardens and Pep walking past carrying a Trammp's album.Not sure who played Hold Back The Night first, but I think that night was the first time I heard it.

Can also recall seeing the Trammps at a Pier anniversary.

Steve

Social source share

The deep voice is simply bass singer Earl Young (I know he played bass but reading "soul harmony singles" book it reads like he sang bass in the group too) and nowt to do with Mr White

Just listen to "Zing Went The Strings.........." for that bassy vocal

Cheers Paul

Yep Paul i even love the instrumental of that track. Probably worth a play today. Fantastic group.

Social source share

I used to have the Trammps 111 album many years ago ,and last year Eddy Edmondson was giving a track called I'm Living The Life Of A Single Man-regular plays on his Solar Radio show.

I can remember being sat at the side of the dancefloor at Cleethorpe's Winter Gardens and Pep walking past carrying a Trammp's album.Not sure who played Hold Back The Night first, but I think that night was the first time I heard it.

Steve

Hiya Steve, correct me if i'm wrong here mate, but was'nt the instrumental version of HBTN first played at the Golden Torch ?? I palyed it at our soul night last Friday and they ran onto the floor like flies round a jam pot. Fantastic tune. Tony. OZ.

Social source share

Cheers for that Ken. Great record. Oh and nice to see you are still awake !! How was your weekend ?? ATB Tony. OZ.

Pretty damn good,still not landed...........totaly missed the landing area biggrin.gif

Social source share

Steve

It was Colin Curtis who first played " HBTN " , Steve .

Malc Burton

Social source share

Hiya Steve, correct me if i'm wrong here mate, but was'nt the instrumental version of HBTN first played at the Golden Torch ?? I palyed it at our soul night last Friday and they ran onto the floor like flies round a jam pot. Fantastic tune. Tony. OZ.

Yes, Scrub Board was played at the Torch and filled the floor

Social source share

'Rubber band' is superb, have long thought it should be played but have never heard it out anywhere. Moody and atmospheric, lovely stuffthumbsup.gif

Social source share

...... most of the talent from Chicago and Detroit ended up in Philly in the mid seventies ......

BAZ A

Interesting, subjective opinion Baz, afficianados of the output from Chicago, Detroit, Ohio, LA, New York, Memphis, Muscle Shoals etc. etc. may disagree.

John

Social source share

According to Jim, yes it was played at the Torch. I had both Scrub Board and Zing Went The Strings Of My Heart on UK Buddah singles but did not latch onto HBTN until hearing it at Cleethorpes. Great tunes from a great group.

Steve

Social source share

Guest phillybuster

According to Jim, yes it was played at the Torch. I had both Scrub Board and Zing Went The Strings Of My Heart on UK Buddah singles but did not latch onto HBTN until hearing it at Cleethorpes. Great tunes from a great group.

Steve

I can't believe there is a discussion about who played what first.Isn't it just about the music?

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Played this out when it was a new release in the local pop/disco clubs, has been spun on the scene on and off over the years, especially remember it being spun at the Howard.

Social source share

Guest veep1296

If my memory serves me correctly "Trusting heart" was written by the Steals brothers Mervin & Melvin who also wrote "Could it Be Im Falling in Love" & were originally in The Four Perfections.

Got a sleeve for "Trusting Heart" signed by Mervin......(or was it Melvin) in New Jersey a few years back..

DF

Social source share

I can't believe there is a discussion about who played what first.Isn't it just about the music?

As time goes on , you will discover that any thread on SS has a habit of going off on a tangent , and as a result , will bring forth relative and worthwhile information .

Malc Burton

Social source share

Been playing some of the Trammps records, mainly on Buddha and came across a nice mid tempo modern dancer titled Trusting Heart on the orange CBS label from 1974. It sounds like Barry White doing some over talking during the song. Anyone know who they were and if in fact B W did perform with them before he passed away?? I was surprised to see them on the cbs label and love this particular track. I'm gonna stick my neck out now and say it wouldn't go amiss in today's modern rooms, great dancer. Any info appreciated thanks. Tony. OZ.

hatsoff2.gif WHITHOUT DOUBT THE TRAMPS WERE NOT ONLY A TOP PHILIDELPHIA INTERNATIONAL VOCAL GROUP, THE EPITIMISED THE VIRTUE / SIGMA STUDIO SOUND OF THE MID TI LATE 6ts. AND TYPIPHYIED THE EAST COAST HARMONY SOUND. i TOURED WITH THE BAND IN 75 IN THE UK, AND ITS ONLY WHEN YOU WORK WITH A GROUP LIKE THIS YOU GET TO HEARE THE REAL HARMONICS OF SOUL WITH THE RIGHT MATIERIAL THEY WOULD BE EQUAL TO THE DELLS, MANY NORTHERN SOUL TRACKS FROM THEM ON HARTHON ACTIC PI BUT MY FAV IS A WIGAN CLASSIC "

boxing.gif RAINMAKER" A KNOCK OUT RECORDph34r.gif DAVE KIL.

post-13241-12669792256663_thumb.jpg

Social source share

hatsoff2.gif WHITHOUT DOUBT THE TRAMPS WERE NOT ONLY A TOP PHILIDELPHIA INTERNATIONAL VOCAL GROUP, THE EPITIMISED THE VIRTUE / SIGMA STUDIO SOUND OF THE MID TI LATE 6ts. AND TYPIPHYIED THE EAST COAST HARMONY SOUND. i TOURED WITH THE BAND IN 75 IN THE UK, AND ITS ONLY WHEN YOU WORK WITH A GROUP LIKE THIS YOU GET TO HEARE THE REAL HARMONICS OF SOUL WITH THE RIGHT MATIERIAL THEY WOULD BE EQUAL TO THE DELLS, MANY NORTHERN SOUL TRACKS FROM THEM ON HARTHON ACTIC PI BUT MY FAV IS A WIGAN CLASSIC "

boxing.gif RAINMAKER" A KNOCK OUT RECORDph34r.gif DAVE KIL.

post-13241-12669792256663_thumb.jpg

So much fantastic stuff coming through, i'm really glad i started this thread. The things you learn form different folks all adds to the reason we are in this scene. Any chance of a clip of this one please? ATB Tony. OZ.

Social source share

So much fantastic stuff coming through, i'm really glad i started this thread. The things you learn form different folks all adds to the reason we are in this scene. Any chance of a clip of this one please? ATB Tony. OZ.

THE MOODS - RAINMAKER -

Social source share

Guest veep1296

I remember being told that Darryl Hall - he of Hall and Oates fame - was a member of The Moods .

Anybody confirm ?

Malc Burton

Malc,

I am in regular contact with John Madara who produced this...I will ask him if he can remember and get back to you.

Regards

David

Social source share

what about the singles for Soul Searching Time and That's Where The Happy People Go. great songs which are overlooked

Agreed Paul, I also like Livin' A Life from their Atlantic days and two more from their Philadelphia output- Stop And Think and Love Epidemic.

Not much use at refosoul clips if anybody can put some up.

Thanks

Steve

Social source share

Agreed Paul, I also like Livin' A Life from their Atlantic days and two more from their Philadelphia output- Stop And Think and Love Epidemic.

Not much use at refosoul clips if anybody can put some up.

Thanks

Steve

THE TRAMMPS - STOP AND THINK -

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

If I am not mistaken legendary Philly writer, producer, guitarist Bobby Eli was a founding member of The Trammps. I remember seeing an old photo with him on and everybody else involved at the early conception of the group. There was a conversation that took place in the studio with Earl Young and Bobby when I was there in 2008. I thought I was dreaming half the time. I agree that 'Where do we go from here' is one of the best ever Philly tracks. The horn arrangment and female call and response are exquisite. Baker/Harris/Young - what a fantastic writing team and partnership. Once more with feeling'/The Whispers:

and 'Mother for my children': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsPOUi0KwZQ Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert