Who'sthe Daddy

Guest JIM BARRY

WELL SAID DAVE, THE MOST IMPORTANT DISCOVERIES AT KEY TIME IN MY OPINION. THEY CAME THICK AND FAST. THEN OTHER CLUBS PLAYED EM. YOU HAVE TO GIVE EM THEIR CREDIT ,ESPECIALLY LEVINE.HE WENT ACROSS THE POND AND BROUGHT EM BACK. YES I KNOW PEOPLE HAVE THEIR ISSUES WITH HIM AND HE HAS OR HAD HIS MIGHTIER THAN THOU ATTITUDE BUT HE GOT US TO HEAR THEM MAGIC CHOONS FOR THE FIRST TIME.

Jim, I have had my issues with Ian over the years, but it doesn't take away the magic times all those years ago.

I still see Colin on a regular basis and I am glad to say never had any probs with him.thumbsup.gif

Dave.

Social source share

• Replies 54
  • Views 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Lobster Madras

Ditto - brilliant selection and so true thumbsup.gif

Can't add to that summary of fantastic disco jockeys.... phew.. we are lucky sod's ain't we !thumbup.gif

Social source share

WELL SAID DAVE, THE MOST IMPORTANT DISCOVERIES AT KEY TIME IN MY OPINION. THEY CAME THICK AND FAST. THEN OTHER CLUBS PLAYED EM. YOU HAVE TO GIVE EM THEIR CREDIT ,ESPECIALLY LEVINE.HE WENT ACROSS THE POND AND BROUGHT EM BACK. YES I KNOW PEOPLE HAVE THEIR ISSUES WITH HIM AND HE HAS OR HAD HIS MIGHTIER THAN THOU ATTITUDE BUT HE GOT US TO HEAR THEM MAGIC CHOONS FOR THE FIRST TIME.

This is a funny old forum at times rolleyes.gif

Social source share

for me the man with ALL the sounds is Tony Clark of notts, this man has everything and feel so lucky he is a resident at Orrell soul clubthumbup.gif

Have to agree, Tony did a superb spot for us at Morley Carr (Bradford)last year! I could listen to his selections all night! :thumbsup:

Great taste in tunes, must have him back again soon!!

cheers Paul

Social source share

Ian Levine and Colin Curtis

Streets ahead at the time - they defined the Northern Soul sound - and changed it several times. In addition CC's last hour defined what became the 70's scene.

Mike

Hello Mike,

I agree, Ian and Colin at the Mecca was the high point of 'northern soul' (and what became 'modern soul') in the early-to-mid 1970s.

The standard was very high.

Apart from their excellent musical tastes, it was also a reflection of the times we lived in ...great obscurities were still being discovered at an alarming rate and good soul music was still being made.

We had the best of both worlds.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert