Tony Clarke - Landslide - Chess - Question About This One

Pete S

Then may I retract my evidence M'lord? :thumbsup:

It's down as 65 in the discography I was reading...but thinking about it the numbers don't follow.

I was looking through my Little Milton 45's on Checker earlier too & there are at least 3 from around 67 that were recorded in 'Concept 12' which were deemed playable on mono or stereo...so they were experementing around that time I guess yes.gif

I still reckon it's a re-issue though :P

I think I probably do also - but it's interesting stuff.

Social source share

I think I probably do also - but it's interesting stuff.

Certainly is :yes: ....& if it is it makes you wonder if there could be other significant ones that people think are originals eh?

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Having researched this a bit now, it would seem that the first Chess single to be released in stereo and only in stereo was:

2066: Choo Choo/Ida Mae Foster - The Radiants.

It would seem that stereo 45s of earlier catalogue numbers, such as 1979 and/or any others that may turn up, were remastered after the event, albeit possibly not too long after.

I needle-dropped 30-odd Chess singles from my own collection, numbered between 1900-2065, and I couldn't find one stereo among 'em, incidentally....

While we're on the subject, the first 'stereo and only stereo' Checker release would seem to be

1221: So Blue Without You/Poor Man - Little Milton

...although I don't have 1220 to needle-drop, so it might be that.

The first Cadet was indeed a Soulful Strings 45, but i haven't yet worked out which one!

Social source share

While we're on the subject, the first 'stereo and only stereo' Checker release would seem to be

As an aside, you just reminded me, I have 1225 "Let's Get Together" in delicious Stereo, yet my UK copy is Mono.

Wonder what the first UK Chess Stereo issue was?

:thumbup:

Sean

Social source share

The first Cadet was indeed a Soulful Strings 45, but i haven't yet worked out which one!

Just recalled Cookie V "Queen of fools" being stereo, and that's Checker 1222....

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

As an aside, you just reminded me, I have 1225 "Let's Get Together" in delicious Stereo, yet my UK copy is Mono.

Wonder what the first UK Chess Stereo issue was?

thumbsup.gif

Sean

None of the Pye-distributed Chess 45s are stereo to the best of my knowledge, Sean - the latest one I've got, which is the Dells' "Oh What A Day" is both mono (at least it is on my stocker, the demo might well have been otherwise) and the last Pye-era Chess release - so it would have to be something from the Polygram-era and might actually BE 'Landslide' itself...

...although 'In Orbit' was issued in stereo over here, too. Dunno which came out first, as i don't have either on UK.

Incidentally, if I may wander off at a tangent here and just digress for a bit about stereo singles, are you and others aware that certain UK and US companies were experimenting with them as far back as the late 1950s?

I have a Little Willie John 45 in a King Stereo series - can't remember which one without rooting through the attic, but I think it's something like "Flamingo" - and quite a few RCA country 45s from the same era.

Over here, London started a very short lived SL 9000 series in 1959, which ran to four releases and incuded Duane Eddy's 'Peter Gunn' and the Fleetwoods' "Come Softly To Me". These releases sold virtually nothing, as most people didn't have anything to play them on that would give them the benefit of stereo sound, and are stupidly rare. I've never owned a single one of the four, but my pal Rob Finnis has "Peter Gunn" in the stereo format so at least one copy of one of them exists!

While I'm waffling, when UK companies too the decision to move en masse into stereo 45s in the second half of the 60s, the first UK stereo single was scheduled to be Eric Burdon and the Animals' 1968 release "Sky Pilot" but the engineer accidentally mastered it in mono and the mistake wasn't discovered until it was too late and the stock had been pressed. The honour of inaugurating stereo 45s as a rule rather than an exception in the UK, ended up going to Traffic's Dave Mason's solo single "Little Woman", relesed by Island a couple of weeks later.

To get back on point, Pye was very slow about committing to stereo 45s, which is probably why none of their Chess singles came out in stereo - even though some of the later ones had done so in the US.

I've said too much already...

Social source share

• 4 years later...
Guest Ivor Jones

There's a couple on UK Ebay right now, both the "stereo" re-issues. One seller isn't aware it's a re-issue the other I'm not sure about, he did sell me a booted Lou Johnson.

Am i missing something here ? How can you tell from the photos on ebay if these are the Stereo reissues ? Is there a way and Im just not seeing it because they look identical to me ?

Yours sincerely,

Ivor

Social source share

No, I wouldn't disagree with that. Was just pointing out that I wouldn't have thought that Stereo was the reason that they would decide to do another run on the mastering/presses. More likely that they thought it would go big beforehand and had multiple runs done nationally. Giving rise to the possibility that it might well be mastered and pressed in Stereo. Assuming of course that the recording was done in Stereo, which it must have been. Checker and Cadet had already released Stereo singles by then.

Of course this could all be b*llocks, but it makes sense to me !! biggrin.gif

Followed this thread and my assessment is that Blunny was probably correct in 2010; given the success of the artists previous release the record company may have have used more than one plant to press the next release. CK = checker plant, not sure what plant TM would relate but I'm sure there will be one; each factory would have plant of different age and so differing quality and capability. CK may be an older plant possibly only able to press mono in contrast TM may have been modern and able to press stereo records from the master tapes; similarly the printing would be on different machines so produced slight difference in labels. The materials sourced by the different plants may also differ hence some may use better quality or vinyl instead of styrene etc.

Consequently people are applying excessive meaning when all there is to appreciate is a different plant producing the items.

My Manship guide to bootlegs, counterfeits and reissues makes no mention of the 1979 being counterfeited or reissued, the reissue if the UK release and the bootleg is the ottp label. If 1979 is okay with JM then it's probably legit whether its mono or stereo, I doubt JM would have ignored the differences when producing his publications.  :)

Edited by pikeys dog
swearing - work filters
Social source share

Am i missing something here ? How can you tell from the photos on ebay if these are the Stereo reissues ? Is there a way and Im just not seeing it because they look identical to me ?

Yours sincerely,

Ivor

I contacted both sellers and got the dead-wax run-out info.

Edited by Chris L
Social source share

Followed this thread and my assessment is that Blunny was probably correct in 2010; given the success of the artists previous release the record company may have have used more than one plant to press the next release. CK = checker plant, not sure what plant TM would relate but I'm sure there will be one; each factory would have plant of different age and so differing quality and capability. CK may be an older plant possibly only able to press mono in contrast TM may have been modern and able to press stereo records from the master tapes; similarly the printing would be on different machines so produced slight difference in labels. The materials sourced by the different plants may also differ hence some may use better quality or vinyl instead of styrene etc.

Consequently people are applying excessive meaning when all there is to appreciate is a different plant producing the items.

My Manship guide to bootlegs, counterfeits and reissues makes no mention of the 1979 being counterfeited or reissued, the reissue if the UK release and the bootleg is the ottp label. If 1979 is okay with JM then it's probably legit whether its mono or stereo, I doubt JM would have ignored the differences when producing his publications.  :)

Be careful just because "John says" doesn't mean it's so, he'd be the 1st to admit that.

Social source share

I'm speculating whether the Stereo version might possibly have been remastered at Columbia's Chicago studio.

All in all this is an odd one. Chess would have been owned by PRT-Janus by the time 'Landslide' was found and popularised by the Northern Soul scene (mid 1973?).

Why not release the record legally on a contemporary PRT-distributed Chess label? The theory about an official 1973-4 repress using old Chess label stock makes zero sense. The Chess family had sold their stake in everything but the recording studios to PRT by that point. I'd be highly sceptical about them digging out sheets of label stock to help out in producing such an ad-hoc reissue for another company.

I'm wondering if this wasn't done by the Chesses themselves, and therefore technically a bootleg.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

Be careful just because "John says" doesn't mean it's so, he'd be the 1st to admit that.

I agree chris no one has a monopoly on being right. I still think JM's thoroughness would have identified problems before now if there was a reissue.

Perhaps this may be a good time to ask his opinion on the matter, I expect he has multiple copies in stock to make an assessment.

The reasoned points from Blunny make a great deal of sense about different pressing plants or mastering studios, in contrast why would Chess try to reissue the record with exactly the same number on the label and deadwax - it sounds an orthodox process and is there evidence Chess have they done that identical label and deadwax number before?

Social source share

I'm speculating whether the Stereo version might possibly have been remastered at Columbia's Chicago studio.

All in all this is an odd one. Chess would have been owned by PRT-Janus by the time 'Landslide' was found and popularised by the Northern Soul scene (mid 1973?).

Why not release the record legally on a contemporary PRT-distributed Chess label? The theory about an official 1973-4 repress using old Chess label stock makes zero sense. The Chess family had sold their stake in everything but the recording studios to PRT by that point. I'd be highly sceptical about them digging out sheets of label stock to help out in producing such an ad-hoc reissue for another company.

I'm wondering if this wasn't done by the Chesses themselves, and therefore technically a bootleg.

Wasn't it GRT-Janus?

I bought a copy listed on Ebay as an original about the same time as Pete Smith - I paid £29 - the label looked good but the vinyl looked like 90s or later so I was ready to send it back as soon as I opened it - I then played it and it was stereo - I just assumed it was a recent pressing so returned it for a refund - it didn't look like a 60s or 70s release

Social source share

And then there's always the chance he didn't know about it...cos hardly anyone else did

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!