• Replies 37
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Hi Nev

There were 3 bootlegs all copies of the original promo (no one has ever seen an issue although it was listed on the release sheets at the time)

2 in vinyl - one has the initials PB in the run out and the other has a ridge close to the centre edge (same as the one up for sale)

The third bootleg is styrene

I'm pretty sure this info is right but I may be shot down in flames

Social source share

nev,heres a proper one which looks like my mates as i said its thin vinyl and also a 70s boot,great record imo,i know there was a thread on here about the anderson brothers ages ago so did we ever discover who the anderson brothers were???unsure.gifph34r.gif

The 'proper' one also looks like the first vinyl bootleg with the deep depression towards the centre hole. These were passed off as originals in the mid 70's complete with GSF company sleeves.

Social source share

a lucky find mr chris anderson,unsure.gifph34r.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Its like the lottery mate, if you dont buy a ticket you aint gonna win it! I didnt have a load of people offering to pay for my plane ticket, food, hotel bills if i found nothing on that 3 month buying trip!

But yeah it was lucky! Happened 3 days after finding 3 Paul Thompsons for a dollar each....

Still got it, wonderful tune, Helens fave...

Chris

ps. and its Anderton not Anderson...!

Social source share

Its like the lottery mate, if you dont buy a ticket you aint gonna win it! I didnt have a load of people offering to pay for my plane ticket, food, hotel bills if i found nothing on that 3 month buying trip!

But yeah it was lucky! Happened 3 days after finding 3 Paul Thompsons for a dollar each....

Still got it, wonderful tune, Helens fave...

Chris

ps. and its Anderton not Anderson...!

Chris .....i think the four emoticons after de-tos sentence are a give awaywicked.gif

However ,thanks for all the info ,let's hope some poor beggar does'nt end up paying over the odds for a boot sad.gif

Social source share

Yeah i know mate....

Its a rare record, even when i found the copy in DC i thought it was a boot, until i took the time to research it and it met every criteria...

i`d be interested to know how many real copies there are out there...guess all of the main 70s guys have a copy...maybe 50 or 100?

Chris

Hiya Chris, brilliant record mate. It was huge at Cleethorpes and i think it was Mary Chapmans fave too. ATB Tony.

Social source share

Yeah i know mate....

Its a rare record, even when i found the copy in DC i thought it was a boot, until i took the time to research it and it met every criteria...

i`d be interested to know how many real copies there are out there...guess all of the main 70s guys have a copy...maybe 50 or 100?

Chris

There weren't that many in the 70s (no way 50-100) that's for sure.

No idea how many have turned up since, but with JM getting £900 for one it must be still quite rare.g.gif

Or is someone gonna tell me loads have been found now.biggrin.gif

Edited by davetay
Social source share

There weren't that many in the 70s (no way 50-100) that's for sure.

No idea how many have turned up since, but with JM getting £900 for one it must be still quite rare.g.gif

Or is someone gonna tell me loads have been found now.biggrin.gif

No, it's still as rare as ever Dave thumbsup.gif You're right it was not around even back in the day!

I think a poll on here would verify that?

I remember in the 70's a mate of mine sold it on his list for £4 (which was quite a lot then and it was way before it was booted), then he found out that Richard Searling had just paid £90 for it......................oh how we laughed wicked.gifwicked.gifwicked.gif

I don't care whether the Anderson Bros are white, black, brown, yellow or even related to Z Z Top, my copies coming in the box with me yes.gif

One of the key 'turning point' records of the Northern scene imho!

Cheers

Steve

Edited by Steve Plumb
Social source share

I spoke to John Manship earlier in the week about this record, funnily enough, having just got my sweaty hands on a copy and the proviso he added to the boot descriptions in his guide was that the boots did not have a stereo side. So a careful listen should point anyone in the right direction.

Social source share

Guest Lobster Madras

Hi Nev

There were 3 bootlegs all copies of the original promo (no one has ever seen an issue although it was listed on the release sheets at the time)

2 in vinyl - one has the initials PB in the run out and the other has a ridge close to the centre edge (same as the one up for sale)

The vinyl boot copies with the ridge were sold as originals I seem to remember and came via Soussan ? Advert in the back of Black echoes ? Was offered along with another looky likey boot but my memory eludes me .. Very good boots though.. been fooling people for a long time.mellow.gif

Social source share

Guest Lobster Madras

Hi Nev

The vinyl boot copies with the ridge were sold as originals I seem to remember and came via Soussan ? Advert in the back of Black echoes ? Was offered along with another looky likey boot but my memory eludes me .. Very good boots though.. been fooling people for a long time.mellow.gif

Social source share

Yes a lovely record even if the vocals are a bit weak. As the Plumbmeister says one of those turning point records, and a great dancer too.

Ray Dahrouge wrote it and later covered it on Polydor, and he's on here as well......Steve

Whilst we're discussing alternative versions, as much as I love the Anderson Brothers original, the unissued Mayberry Movement's version takes it to another level....another Kent find...thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Whilst we're discussing alternative versions, as much as I love the Anderson Brothers original, the unissued Mayberry Movement's version takes it to another level....another Kent find...thumbsup.gif

Yeah I LOVE that version - agree, what a find!!!!!!

Then there was that Trieste version on IX Chains, there's probably more?

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Yeah I LOVE that version - agree, what a find!!!!!!

Then there was that Trieste version on IX Chains, there's probably more?

Cheers

Steve

Steve, Kev Darge played a nice funk version at the Southport Weekender about 5 or 6 years ago.

Dave.

P.S. John's LP is abit nice.

Edited by davetay
Social source share

Gobsmacked!

What a find!

Is it the same mix, longer, shorter, is it stereo or mono????????????

Well done mate thumbsup.gif

Cheers

Steve

Steve, it doesn't sound any different to the 45 recording to my ears, I haven't thought to check if it's in stereo, but the album cover and labels do say 'Stereo'

So it's a fair bet that it actually is!

When I get a chance, I'll have another listen... and I'll time it for you if you wantyes.gif

Social source share

I spoke to John Manship earlier in the week about this record, funnily enough, having just got my sweaty hands on a copy and the proviso he added to the boot descriptions in his guide was that the boots did not have a stereo side. So a careful listen should point anyone in the right direction.

Here's a scan of my copy, has Stereo / mono sides. It has Mick Viggars scratched in , with GSFM 1179 and PB in the grooves.post-10585-12666829504887_thumb.jpg

post-10585-12666829504887_thumb.jpg

Social source share

I bought one at the time £4 I think rings a bell-a member on here was behind bringing some copies in advance all in nice GSF sleeve s too !! must have been very early on 1975/ 1976 ?

Tats has got one they are easy to spot "In the flesh" you can feel the label

A long time personal want for me....

Rob

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert