King Go Forth- Why Is It So Hated

Geeselad

• Replies 94
  • Views 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

To say a band is just cashing in, and im talking strictly in the case of KGF in this case, is a little harsh.

As with most bands / musicians, they have different influences which then form their sound. That sound is then picked up by an audience.

I doubt when they started out, KGF targeted the 'northern soul scene' as their audience, perhaps more funk / jazz and general soul audiences at a guess.

Wouldnt say theyre trying to cash in; selling singles at £10 and only producing 500 copies. They'd clearly be cashing in if they had re-pressed the single following its success on the underground music scenes like this one.

I dont personally know the band (or any associates) so this is only an assumption, but i would suggest that the band ARE in fact showing an appreciation for soul music, as you can hear their 60's/70's soul and funk influences in music they produce, would hesitate to say even emulating their idols by producing music which capulate the great sounds from yesteryear.

Such a wise words from this young man... :thumbsup:

Who said they don't go the school in dirty Leeds... :lol:

Social source share

...although there were only about half as many purple copies pressed than there were black ones...:yes:

Ah but as you know Tony...first issue is everything in this micro-cosm shades

Social source share

Ooh look at us, we're so evolved we can accept music from any era and class it as Northern while we leave behind the rest of the dinosaurs, look at them enjoying their traditional Northern Soul, how dare they...

SHOVE 'EM UP YOUR ARSE laugh.gif

In fairness the punters who commented are all probably big fans of records like April stevens, KGF is a long way from that!

Social source share

My friend, you have to accept that the 'Northern Soul' scene is Dogmatic and bigotted. The term 'Nothern Soul' has been hijacked by a load of old moaners who have forgotten that they used to hear 'New' tunes every single week. They had to batter the term into a meaning that fits their love of hearing the top 500 over and over and over again. Its a fear and safety thing.

ONE DAY is a superb track and you should just feel pity fot the ones making negative comments. Fear is a negative emotion and thats what drives them..yes.gif Bless.

Thanks Paul, and lots of others you've restored me faith.

Social source share

I've got nothing against Kings Go Forth or retro-sounding records on the whole, I like them, but I hate the name calling aimed at people who aren't interested (dinosaurs, relics) so why do it? It just makes you look as if you're trying to come across as being superior to everyone else (see Paul S's comments for more of the same).

Thing is i dont usually get 12 postive comments on a record, so why did they go out opf there way to say they hated it?

Social source share

Remember watching this Jooles Holland episode, even posted how good this track was on my Facebook status cos i was drunk!

Didnt know it was out on an album Adam, cheers, more money you've cost me king.gif

Money very well spent though, not a bad track on it and 3 or 4 are easily good enough to play out :thumbup:. Think the postage will cost you more than the LP as doesn't seem to be anyone selling it in the UK.

Social source share

Guest aintgotit

In fairness the punters who commented are all probably big fans of records like April stevens, KGF is a long way from that!

i used to go to school with an april stevens , she used to sow her knickers while singing king creole, only not in such a deep voice.

Social source share

Thing is i dont usually get 12 postive comments on a record, so why did they go out opf there way to say they hated it?

If you're a Chelsea fan and you go into a Tottenham pub and shout "Chelsea are the greatest", what response would you expect? :thumbup:

likewise if you tell died in the wool Northern Soulies of 40 years standing that YOU know exactly what the future of NS is, and it's a 2 year old recording, then you should know whats coming!

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

i used to go to school with an april stevens , she used to sow her knickers while singing king creole, only not in such a deep voice.

Perhaps she did it because she was wanting you?

Social source share

Got my copy when it came out............sold it not long after.Cheap.Its ok,but its not got the "legs" to turn it into anything but a nice funky number.

As know, all soul dance tracks should last no more than 2.mins 30secs.

No-ones mentioned the lead singer.Danny Hernandez.Has pedigree.Sang lead for The Ones.First latinos on the Motown label.

Check out "you haven't seen my love" or "happy day" as an alternative to KGF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yyn2b3T3boA&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Febspj8GV4&feature=PlayList&p=5BD242FE11A99056&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=28

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Posted kings go forth- one day as a link on my facebook last night, with the admittably provocative "Ive heard the future of Northern soul and it sounds like this" couldnt believe the reaction 12 comments in half an hour, all negative, someone said its like a FYC bside, LOL!!

I just love, how can this be so hated!!

I don't hate it but it's hardly the future of northern soul. As someone else said, hammered to death and then sank without trace over a year ago.

I agree with Adam about Black Joe Lewis, he's been playing Sugarfoot, but personally i love Big Booty Woman.

Black Joe Lewis

Been playing that Corinna Greyson and Lefties Soul Collective at Move On as well, much better than KGF in my opinion.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

never see the "where you get ears on" factor in threads like this

as in the difference it makes where you hear things

eg difference hearing it via fred carno pc speakers, on a decent hifi or out at a event loud and proud

certainly does make a difference imo and so sometimes find it bit odd that people are so quick to jump into dislike mode on first hear via a pc

back in the past never really got into marvin gaye 70s till moved on from dansette to a decent stereo

similar sort of thing ?

Social source share

never see the "where you get ears on" factor in threads like this

as in the difference it makes where you hear things

eg difference hearing it via fred carno pc speakers, on a decent hifi or out at a event loud and proud

certainly does make a difference imo and so sometimes find it bit odd that people are so quick to jump into dislike mode on first hear via a pc

back in the past never really got into marvin gaye 70s till moved on from dansette to a decent stereo

similar sort of thing ?

Think that's a really good point Mike.

The equipment - and the context - is so important.

Some things I wouldn't give shelf space to at home, sound great in a club, in the right environment, booming out of those big speakers.

In contrast, there are many things that I might enjoy at home, or in the car, that I'd never play out.

They just wouldn't work.

Context and perspective.

Very important.

:thumbup:

Sean

PS: But some stuff really IS just crap! :lol:

Social source share

Think that's a really good point Mike.

The equipment - and the context - is so important.

Some things I wouldn't give shelf space to at home, sound great in a club, in the right environment, booming out of those big speakers.

In contrast, there are many things that I might enjoy at home, or in the car, that I'd never play out.

They just wouldn't work.

Context and perspective.

Very important.

thumbsup.gif

Sean

PS: But some stuff really IS just crap! biggrin.gif

I recently saw KGF live and they were AWESOME. Whatever anyone's opinion is on this or any other 45 due to some BS about price, the 45 pressing, backlash, buzz, etc., I highly recommend seeing their live show, they were tight as hell, totally psychedelic, matching suits (not mod type suits, like 70s psychedelic combo type suits, etc.), amazing.

Social source share

I recently saw KGF live and they were AWESOME. Whatever anyone's opinion is on this or any other 45 due to some BS about price, the 45 pressing, backlash, buzz, etc., I highly recommend seeing their live show, they were tight as hell, totally psychedelic, matching suits (not mod type suits, like 70s psychedelic combo type suits, etc.), amazing.

Would love to see them.....any plans for them to visit the U.K?

Social source share

Any Photo's Bob?

Sean

Social source share

I don't hate it but it's hardly the future of northern soul. As someone else said, hammered to death and then sank without trace over a year ago.

I agree with Adam about Black Joe Lewis, he's been playing Sugarfoot, but personally i love Big Booty Woman.

Black Joe Lewis

Been playing that Corinna Greyson and Lefties Soul Collective at Move On as well, much better than KGF in my opinion.

I wasnt being specific about the record being TFONS, I meant these type of quality new releases Matt, there's loads of other great stuff out there to, i was astonished at the reaction.

Social source share

I wasnt being specific about the record being TFONS, I meant these type of quality new releases Matt, there's loads of other great stuff out there to, i was astonished at the reaction.

I am feeling a bit confused .

Here we are discussing if Myron and e, Kings GF, Nicole Willis, Cooking on 3 burners, teenagers etc if they are credible or talented.

These are Independent musicians and singers and are doing there own thing - not because they want to be a part of the northern soul scene

but because they are musical artists digging up their own styles and loving / being influenced by older styles of music.

If someone decides to play a new release by one of the many new artists that has the retro style at a traditional northern soul night - surely that's down to the

DJ / the night / and the crowd

This new Soul Music that is being produced by many young artists around the globe at the moment is not meant to be tailor made or designed for the "Northern Soul" scene is it ?

New releases on limited 45 Vinyl runs - Bands with real Singers, real brass, real Latin Percussion, and vibes.

Places to go..............bands to see (what more would you have wished for in 2010)

The Kings Go Forth didn't make that particular 45 cost 100 quid - they just made the music and released the disc - all their 45s have very small pressing runs on vinyl.

So they should all be rare and expensive ? , but they are not.... because the other 45s did not suffer with our hype - they are just good funk and soul tunes !

Why when the most successful acts in the UK pop industry over the last few years involve pop idol, should Soul Music lovers be even having this discussion ?

I buy vintage vinyl all the time, but due to the modern (retro influenced) soul / Funk bands - I am also buying new 45s for the first time in 30 years !

I think it is fun to keep your eyes on what you feel is good for your taste and its great when its also new!

For me there has never been a better time to buy old records and also get into new records ?

Loving Soul Music !

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Guest bazabod_downunder

I've got a copy & personally have always prefered 'You're The One'...played it out a few times to mixed reaction, although I don't read too much into that as you can get that from anything, I guess I'm one of the 'lucky' ones, I love it all.....also lucky for me as I got my copy from Sam Goldie who originally had about 20 copies that she got from the band themselves, swopped it for a want that she was after which suited me fine......as for new music, try listening to this, Sam was also involved with this one I believe.

COOKIN' ON 3 BURNERS - THIS GIRL - FREESTYLE -

KTF

Baz

Posted kings go forth- one day as a link on my facebook last night, with the admittably provocative "Ive heard the future of Northern soul and it sounds like this" couldnt believe the reaction 12 comments in half an hour, all negative, someone said its like a FYC bside, LOL!!

I just love, how can this be so hated!!

Social source share

Any Photo's Bob?

Sean

no, i never learned how to work a camera! they don't do a lot of shows because apparently it is expensive to travel with such a large combo but they are playing south by southwest in texas in march so i'm sure there will be some photos from that.

Social source share

no, i never learned how to work a camera! they don't do a lot of shows because apparently it is expensive to travel with such a large combo but they are playing south by southwest in texas in march so i'm sure there will be some photos from that.

here's just a closeup photo of the lead singer live, his suit is different than the other guys but the other guys are all wearing the suits that the dude in the background has:

https://my.sxsw.com/events/event/5513

Social source share

I am feeling a bit confused .

Here we are discussing if Myron and e, Kings GF, Nicole Willis, Cooking on 3 burners, teenagers etc if they are credible or talented.

These are Independent musicians and singers and are doing there own thing - not because they want to be a part of the northern soul scene

but because they are musical artists digging up their own styles and loving / being influenced by older styles of music.

If someone decides to play a new release by one of the many new artists that has the retro style at a traditional northern soul night - surely that's down to the

DJ / the night / and the crowd

This new Soul Music that is being produced by many young artists around the globe at the moment is not meant to be tailor made or designed for the "Northern Soul" scene is it ?

New releases on limited 45 Vinyl runs - Bands with real Singers, real brass, real Latin Percussion, and vibes.

Places to go..............bands to see (what more would you have wished for in 2010)

The Kings Go Forth didn't make that particular 45 cost 100 quid - they just made the music and released the disc - all their 45s have very small pressing runs on vinyl.

So they should all be rare and expensive ? , but they are not.... because the other 45s did not suffer with our hype - they are just good funk and soul tunes !

Why when the most successful acts in the UK pop industry over the last few years involve pop idol, should Soul Music lovers be even having this discussion ?

I buy vintage vinyl all the time, but due to the modern (retro influenced) soul / Funk bands - I am also buying new 45s for the first time in 30 years !

I think it is fun to keep your eyes on what you feel is good for your taste and its great when its also new!

For me there has never been a better time to buy old records and also get into new records ?

Loving Soul Music !

Top post Mossy, says it all mate. The excitement and freshness of this band is a big hope for getting people who are out in the wilderness musically, into soul / funk music. Someone should get them over here because you just know they would be the business as a live band. People who think they like live indie bands etc. would not know what fu** hit them if they saw these guys, it would throw them into all sorts of turmoil.

Jordi

Edited by jordirip
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Top post Mossy, says it all mate. The excitement and freshness of this band is a big hope for getting people who are out in the wilderness musically, into soul / funk music. Someone should get them over here because you just know they would be the business as a live band. People who think they like live indie bands etc. would not know what fu** hit them if they saw these guys, it would throw them into all sorts of turmoil.

Jordi

Seconded.

I think half the problem with the older elements of the UK northern soul scene accepting KGF can be traced back to Levine and his taylor made efforts. They have, understandably, disturbed people and permanently scared them away from anything 'new'. It's a kind of natural porcupine reaction from the rodents in the record rooms and on forums.

I think it's important that folk get over this idea that the amazing stuff that is coming out of the US and Europe is in some way 'taylor made' for the UK northern soul scene. IT'S NOT.

Does anyone seriously think that these passionate, talented musicians and record collectors could give two hoots if it's played at some dodgy venue in the middle of nowhere in the north of England on a crappy sound system? Danced to by people who are more interested in existing in a cocoon of nostalgia rather than seeking out and celebrating the undiscovered, unchampioned and forgotten genius? Do they care that people who are discarding and rewritting their own history of the scene to somehow justify their own twisted perceptions of what this all means concider it to be 'northern soul'? People bitching and moaning while conveniently forgetting what it was that created the northern soul explosion in the first place?

They probably just chuckle when/if they read some of these comments.

Having said that, I don't see any sort of bad reaction on the dance floor to the KGF stuff, even when played out in the darkest corners of the UK scene, quite the reverse. Stone cold, thoroughbred floor fillers.

Social source share

Seconded.

I think half the problem with the older elements of the UK northern soul scene accepting KGF can be traced back to Levine and his taylor made efforts. They have, understandably, disturbed people and permanently scared them away from anything 'new'. It's a kind of natural porcupine reaction from the rodents in the record rooms and on forums.

I think it's important that folk get over this idea that the amazing stuff that is coming out of the US and Europe is in some way 'taylor made' for the UK northern soul scene. IT'S NOT.

Does anyone seriously think that these passionate, talented musicians and record collectors could give two hoots if it's played at some dodgy venue in the middle of nowhere in the north of England on a crappy sound system? Danced to by people who are more interested in existing in a cocoon of nostalgia rather than seeking out and celebrating the undiscovered, unchampioned and forgotten genius? Do they care that people who are discarding and rewritting their own history of the scene to somehow justify their own twisted perceptions of what this all means concider it to be 'northern soul'? People bitching and moaning while conveniently forgetting what it was that created the northern soul explosion in the first place?

Having said that, I don't see any sort of bad reaction on the dance floor to the KGF stuff, even when played out in the darkest corners of the UK scene, quite the reverse. Stone cold, thoroughbred floor fillers.

THIRDED!!

It's the style of music I enjoy in a record not necessarily the age.

gary

Social source share

Seconded.

And that James is a well thought out reply! Summed up nicely. I agree with you 100%, I think too many people have closed ears when it comes to some of the great new stuff coming out of Europe and the States at the moment, be it KGF or the Goddess that is Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings. Its always been that way and always will be I think but as long as its great soulful music who cares what era it comes from, I dont. Some of the new release Southern Soul released in the last 2 years is TOPS! Anyway, returning to my bunker now :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I agree that it's ridiculous to dislike anything simply because it's new, but on the flipside it seems impossible to say that you dislike anything these days without accusations of nostalgia and being stuck in the past. I love Lefties Soul Collective, Sharon Jones, Black Joe Lewis and Cabbage Alley, i don't particularly like Kings Go Forth or Nicole Willis or Frank Popp. Does that make me a bad person?

It's fine to play out new releases and four of the artists above we've played at Move On, but i keep thinking time and time again that there are literally thousands upon thousands of 60s and 70s superb soul records that never see the light of day anywhere at venues around the country. Am i a nostalgic chinstroker to hope the underplayed 60s soul gets played out before the new releases? g.gif

BTW if you want to hear Black Joe Lewis and Corinna Grayson alongside rarely heard out 60s and 70s soul and R&B come to Move On on Friday. thumbup.gif

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

I've got nothing against Kings Go Forth or retro-sounding records on the whole, I like them, but I hate the name calling aimed at people who aren't interested (dinosaurs, relics) so why do it? It just makes you look as if you're trying to come across as being superior to everyone else (see Paul S's comments for more of the same).

OOH, almost as patronizing as when Pete S says no new discoveries are coming out of the 70's! rolleyes.gif

Social source share

I agree that it's ridiculous to dislike anything simply because it's new, but on the flipside it seems impossible to say that you dislike anything these days without accusations of nostalgia and being stuck in the past. I love Lefties Soul Collective, Sharon Jones, Black Joe Lewis and Cabbage Alley, i don't particularly like Kings Go Forth or Nicole Willis or Frank Popp. Does that make me a bad person?

It's fine to play out new releases and four of the artists above we've played at Move On, but i keep thinking time and time again that there are literally thousands upon thousands of 60s and 70s superb soul records that never see the light of day anywhere at venues around the country. Am i a nostalgic chinstroker to hope the underplayed 60s soul gets played out before the new releases? g.gif

Apart from the obligatory venue plug, which seems almost compulsoray for all posts these days :thumbsup: , I agree 100% with above, I pretty much said this last time but each time you say it people throw insults, such as Geeselad above, with very little understanding to back it up it appears. I do not think I come into any of the categories thrown above but do not want particularly to hear this out, because it isn't that good, its not bad, but not good enough for all the attention it gets, and as for the future of Northern, please, everyone knows the future of Northern is now explicitly alligned to the invention of a time machine!

KGF has actually grown on me as a piece of music, bizarrely from buying it on a great broken beat type CD which sort of belittles most of the stereotypes so far, but it has very limited appeal as a going out record. I can see its appeal at student clubs based on bringing in the newbies, or whatever it is now termed as, but as a serious Northern soul record there are far too many better records for it to be given the Kudos it has been given, always amazed me to be honest by some of the people who seem to have bought into the hype.

And as new music there is far more interesting new music out there, its just a little tired and unimaginative to tie the future of anything into what is really just a very well executed tribute record.

Now if you just want new music to get the party jumping, as Mr Trouble seems to insinuate, surely then you are looking for House music....... :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

I remember back in the 70's when I was buying new releases, lots of my mates were saying they were shite etc, lots of them records are now northern classics, and same people rave over them now, strange world of northern soul.

In one.....

As for Frank Popp, I've not heard it played on the scooter scene for a couple of years now, their version of GooGoo Muck seems to get more needletime these days, but still not a lot. A flash in the pan I think.

Social source share

In one.....

As for Frank Popp, I've not heard it played on the scooter scene for a couple of years now, their version of GooGoo Muck seems to get more needletime these days, but still not a lot. A flash in the pan I think.

I personally do not think the frank pop project and production was as natural and authentic as some of the other current 60s influenced bands from around the world.

I played Frank Popps stuff in my headphones when it came out, It was enjoyable for me - lots of funky fun, not outstanding , but not total rubbish ?

Just something different to listen to for 30 mins ........no ?

Social source share

God we can be a propper arsey bunch when we put our minds to it ,:rolleyes: KGF just happen to make music that fits the NS template not some contrived manufactured drivell and as such deserve their place in NS history . The Carstairs ,Betty Wright

I love oldies but good quality music that fits the bill should get plays regardless of when it was made thumbsup.gif

Social source share

God we can be a propper arsey bunch when we put our minds to it ,:rolleyes: KGF just happen to make music that fits the NS template not some contrived manufactured drivell and as such deserve their place in NS history . The Carstairs ,Betty Wright

I love oldies but good quality music that fits the bill should get plays regardless of when it was made thumbsup.gif

Totally agree, people either forget what was played at venues over the years, they all played new releases, if they fitted the bill at the time, should be no different today.

Social source share

Seconded.

1/ I think it's important that folk get over this idea that the amazing stuff that is coming out of the US and Europe is in some way 'taylor made' for the UK northern soul scene. IT'S NOT.

2/ Does anyone seriously think that these passionate, talented musicians and record collectors could give two hoots if it's played at some dodgy venue in the middle of nowhere in the north of England on a crappy sound system? Danced to by people who are more interested in existing in a cocoon of nostalgia rather than seeking out and celebrating the undiscovered, unchampioned and forgotten genius?

3/ Do they care that people who are discarding and rewritting their own history of the scene to somehow justify their own twisted perceptions of what this all means concider it to be 'northern soul'? People bitching and moaning while conveniently forgetting what it was that created the northern soul explosion in the first place?

Yet again,passionate.But i'd like to address a couple of points.hatsoff2.gif

1/ - surely some of these new and recent releases from abroad and the UK are aimed at the nostalgia scene.? If not NS by name,at least aimed at a 60's retro scene.Nothing wrong with it in my opinion.But you have to acknowledge it.And if that's the case,the very people who have held the torch (pardon the pun) have a valid opinion.

2/ Nor do they musicians give a flying f*ck if its played in a trendy club in London.Or do they?.

After all, the guys oop north don't know a tune when they hear it.no.gif

As for the record collectors,they'd only care if the record was worth collecting.

We are talking about KGF are'nt we? "Cocoon of nostalgia ,rather than seeking out and celebrating undiscovered,unchampioned and forgotten .genius...???.

Which part of this applies to KGF or "north of England on crappy sound systems".?g.gif

3/ The scene is evolving all the time.The only people who keep trashing it are the ones who think their musical ear is superior.Maybe they are worried that the NS scene is actually a lot close to their ethos than they'd like to admit.

New releases kick started the soul explosion,(mainly Uk releases.) bitd.Your reference to that, doesn't apply to KGF.biggrin.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert