Frank Beverly - Northern Soul Hero

Sunnysoul

Can anyone enlighten us as to whether Frankie Beverley is actually aware of the huge interest on the northern soul scene in his sixties soul sides and, if so, has any promoter attempted to secure his services to perform a gig concentrating on that sixties material (noting of course that with Maze he remains a "contemporary" artist)???

Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Dave Turner

Can anyone enlighten us as to whether Frankie Beverley is actually aware of the huge interest on the northern soul scene in his sixties soul sides and, if so, has any promoter attempted to secure his services to perform a gig concentrating on that sixties material (noting of course that with Maze he remains a "contemporary" artist)???

I'd say he was well aware. He's been over here a few times I think and without a doubt someone/s would have told him. I remember seeing Maze at Nottingham circa 1980.

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

i doubt someone could afford his concert rate he gets with maze (where he does stadiums) to do a northern show (where he doesn't remember his old songs anyways). I don't consider him "contemporary" either, I think when he does shows people want to hear songs like "happy feelings" and "before I let go", etc.

Social source share

I went to see Maze at Hammersmith Odeon every year during the mid/late 80's. The first time I went I stopped by the stage door clutching copies of Because of My Heart and If That's What You Wanted. He laughed and went back to get his band. When he returned he said, 'Here he is. You're one of those nutters who collect the records I made when I was a kid. We had a good laugh and a chat. Nice bloke and Maze were awesome-year after year. So yeah I'd say he knows alright.

Kev

Edited by Kev Moore
Social source share

I went to see Maze at Hammersmith Odeon every year during the mid/late 80's. The first time I went I stopped by the stage door clutching copies of Because of My Heart and If That's What You Wanted. He laughed and went back to get his band. When he returned he said, 'Here he is. You're one of those nutters who collect the records I made when I was a kid. We had a good laugh and a chat. Nice bloke and Maze were awesome-year after year. So yeah I'd say he knows alright.

Kev

did he really use the word "nutters"?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert